Swallowed Up By The Ground: Sinkholes!

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Thanks hunk. The T Shirts not too bad either is it? ..

(.. and I like that one picture above where we've got a random skateboarder in front of the sinkhole, hovering in a pose that says "It's not that big yet and I could easily sHred it if no police are watching)

Last edited:

Sharon Hill

Complicated biological machine

Swifty

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
Could it be something else other than the water company, anything? cause while there is doubt insurance probably wont pay anyone a dime

Swifty

Could it be something else other than the water company, anything? cause while there is doubt insurance probably wont pay anyone a dime
Sounds like a 'where there's a claim, there's a blame' thing to me as well Shady .. not sure if there's any evidence yet that Anglia Water are to blame, only that they also had pipes in that location and maybe we've got some chancers trying it on in court against them to try and scrape some money in .. I'll watch this space .. now it's been filled in.

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
Yes, it is because of these nefarious people that it is getting more and more difficult, it was difficult before, nigh on impossible now
I was thinking of something to do with the sea water, are there narrow caves under there, i am presuming you are pretty close to the sea

Sharon Hill

Complicated biological machine
"In terms of finding out what the cause was, and whether it was the hole that caused the damage underneath, or vice versa, it may be something that we will never know."

This is almost always the case. What came first, the unstable support or the leak? Looking at old maps helps. If there was a sinkhole there before, the engineers should have taken better precautions in installing the pipe. But often, you just can't tell. Even a little leak can cause a big problem over time and then the sagging from poor soil causes a bigger leak.

Lots of people will say "sinkholes are natural" therefore there is no one to blame. But any time you mess with the soil layers or change where water went (or put it where it wasn't), you have unbalanced the system and it will attempt to readjust, often with surface consequences.