Tales Of A Flat Earth

INT21

Antediluvian
That's the future that the Greens want for us.
Starvation is the future.
And,

..It was like watching peasants scratching for a living in the year 900. (analogue Boy).

The shape of things to come if the really hard problems are not faced.

As for the 'Free Scotland' signs.

I notice no one appears to want it, it's still there.

INT21.

PeteByrdie

Privateer in the service of Princess Frideswide
That's the future that the Greens want for us.
Starvation is the future.
1. I don't think 'the Greens' exist in the way you're implying.

2. How did a thread about the Flat Earth hypothesis so rapidly become political?

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
And,

..It was like watching peasants scratching for a living in the year 900. (analogue Boy).

The shape of things to come if the really hard problems are not faced.

As for the 'Free Scotland' signs.

I notice no one appears to want it, it's still there.

INT21.
I'm still waiting for my free Nelson Mandela.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Waiting and watching and seeking a sign..
Whilst googling "flat earth images" (for a laugh, as you do) I came across an image from a website called... wait for it... flatearthfacts.

Because yes, people, there are genuine facts that the earth is flat, don't-cha-know.

For the sake of hilarity I shall include the link to said image as I wouldn't want to be selfish and not share with the rest of the class.

https://flatearthfacts.com/globe-ea...h-problems/fake-nasa-earth-from-space-photos/

The funniest thing I found on that page was not the photo itself, but this esteemed comment:
I get your point, and the 2012 one isn’t real, but there was no photoshop in 1978. So why do you still beleive in the flat earth again? I know earth didn’t majicaly turn into a disc. Explain the phisics of that.

Yes. Quite. Because as we all know it is not possible to fake photographs that were taken before photoshop was invented. Of course. Well done.

:wacky:

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
The funny thing from my perspective is that I've been aware of Sean Connors for years as I've been one of the few thousand subscribers to his channel about roleplaying. He was always very earnest and came across as genuinely bright, but I suspect he's probably gone a bit mental in the couple of years since he stopped regularly uploading.

My first reaction was that he must be pranking them, but I can't really find anything more online about his conversion.
Speaking of Sean Connors, here is his presentation at last year's Flat Earth Conference:

There's quite a lot that is not really about 'Flat Earth' at all--it's mostly generic conspiracy.

He is also a local councillor in Daventry, but I won't mention which party!

Ladyloafer

Abominable Snowman
Football club changes name to ‘Flat Earth’ in support of conspiracy theory

Ruptly in English

Follow
Known before as Mostoles Balompie, the Spanish third division football club changed its name to "Flat Earth FC" to support the conspiracy theory that believes the planet Earth is flat.
The club President, Javi Proves, said the decision to rename the team was a mixture of two passions, however, added that the members of the club are not obliged to believe in the theory.
The Flat Earth FC recently got the promotion to Third Division this season from the Preferential Madrid.

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
We will soon find out if the Universe is flat when we roll off it........eventually

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
That guy, Mad Mike Hughes, who built his own rocket to launch so he could take a picture of the flat earth - he was what I think you mean by a "wind-up merchant". He knew he could get money and publicity by banking on the flat-earthers. Ulterior motives abound, for sure. ...
It hasn't ended ... "Mad Mike" is still at it ...

Flat-Earther 'Mad' Mike Hughes Is Being Sponsored by a Dating App to Nearly Get Himself Killed

'Mad' Mike Hughes — a self-taught rocket scientist and avowed flat-Earth conspiracy theorist — is launching himself into the sky again. ...

The stunt, which is being sponsored by a "commitment-free dating app" and filmed as part of an upcoming Discovery Channel series featuring Hughes, gives the 63-year-old rocketeer a chance to outdo himself following a successful-yet-bumpy DIY launch he completed in March 2018.

Despite multiple setbacks and dust-ups with the Bureau of Land Management, Hughes rode his homemade rocket some 1,875 feet (572 m) into the air over Amboy, California, on March 24, 2018 ... Hughes had to deploy two parachutes to save himself from smashing into the desert nose-first, finally walking away with just a sore back.

This Sunday's launch looks to be a bit riskier, with Hughes aiming to blast himself more than twice as high into the sky before dropping back to Earth at around 400 mph (643 km/h) ... As with last year's launch, Hughes reportedly made his new steam-powered rocket at home in his garage — however, he will get some help this time in the form of a portable launchpad, instead of having to jury-rig a mobile home into a ramp (as he did last year). ...

Will Hughes be able to see the curvature of the Earth from his mile-high vantage point, thus crushing his stated belief that our planet is "shaped like a Frisbee?" Not unless his steam-powered contraption exceeds its reach by about seven-fold, carrying him 35,000 feet (10,700 m) up instead.

But proving or disproving the Earth's 100% verifiable roundness is not the goal of this stunt, anyway. As Hughes has said before, he will need to soar past the Kármán line — that contested boundary where the sky ends and space begins, roughly 62 miles (100 kilometers) over Earth — to personally see our apparently latke-shaped planet from space with his own eyes. ...
SOURCE: https://www.livescience.com/flat-earther-mad-mike-hughes-rocket-launch.html

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
"Mad" Mike Hughes' latest rocket launch has been delayed - supposedly owing to a problem with a hot water heater he bought off CraigsList to serve as part of his launch equipment.

Perhaps more interestingly ... He's admitted he's strictly a daredevil, and his rocket launches actually have nothing to do with proving a flat earth theory.

'Mad' Flat-Earther's Steam Rocket Launch Grounded by Bad Water Heater Bought on Craigslist

Flat-Earth proponent, former limo driver and amateur rocketeer "Mad" Mike Hughes planned to launch 5,000 feet (1,500 meters) into the air above the community of Amboy in California's Mojave Desert Monday (Aug. 12). But his homemade, steam-powered rocket never got off the ground, thanks to a faulty water heater that he bought off of Craigslist.

The launch is currently postponed until possibly Saturday, Aug. 17.

According to Hughes' publicist Darren Shuster, the faulty heater that Hughes bought for $325 off of Craigslist wasn't able to heat the water to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius), the temperature required to create the steam to propel the rocket. Hughes paid $50 for the nose cone of the rocket, which he plans to launch off the back of a semi truck he was gifted. Shuster added that no one knows where the nose cone came from or what its original intent was, but Hughes modified it for its current purpose on the rocket. The launch is sponsored by hud, a casual dating app.

"I appreciate the support, love and excitement from everybody, and a delay will not stop my mission — the rocket is in place and needs a leak plugged up, so weekend is a go," Hughes told Space.com. ...

In media coverage of his 2018 launch, a number of publications stated that Hughes was launching to see Earth's curvature for himself (it is not visible at the altitude that Hughes aims to reach this month). However, Hughes told Space.com that he was launching to this higher altitude because, simply, he is a daredevil.

"I believe the Earth is flat," Hughes said. But "this flat Earth has nothing to do with the steam rocket launches," he added. "It never did. It never will. I'm a daredevil!"
FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/mad-mike-rocket-launch-delay.html

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Those early guys were just dicking about with the ochre and they invented cave painting. Give this guy a proper rocket and see what he comes up with.
Or down to.

AlchoPwn

Public Service is my Motto.
Perhaps we should start a "Send flat earthers to Antarctica" fund while we're at it? Of course we leave them there...

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
I am at a loss to think why they think the government would lie about it, what is the gain?

INT21

Antediluvian
Shady,

Well, it's yer governmint, innit ? Nuff sed.

Not so sure about the 'bad weather' claim. I suspect 'grounded by the laws of physics' would be a more accurate description.