• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Everlasting Mystery Of Teaspoons

I encountered an anomalous errant spoon a few days ago. It was adrift in my husband's taxi car, a bit of a mystery, found when he was giving the taxi a good vacuum ... maybe a passenger had left it there but it had signs of a properly aged tea-stained patina, signs of having been recently used!

Smaller than the Chez Joolz cutlery, it's now found a happy retirement as my plant food measuring scoop :)

I encountered an anomalous errant spoon a few days ago. It was adrift in my husband's taxi car, a bit of a mystery, found when he was giving the taxi a good vacuum ... maybe a passenger had left it there but it had signs of a properly aged tea-stained patina, signs of having been recently used!

Smaller than the Chez Joolz cutlery, it's now found a happy retirement as my plant food measuring scoop :)
So long as that's only tea on that spoon... might be something 'druggy'...

So long as that's only tea on that spoon... might be something 'druggy'...

That's what I immediately thought of, too!

AnonyJoolz, I wonder if your plants with perk up ... A LOT!

Definitely tea, it had that truly unmistakeable half-washed 'office teaspoon' finish [hence not being allowed to even get as far as our kitchen]

I'll let you all know if my tomatoes have a record year :D

Mmmm, home-grown tomatoes, there's nothing like 'em! Where I live now (in the desert), it's impossible to grow tomatoes and the ones you get at the store are horrible, all mealy in consistency with no flavor.

Good luck with your tomatoes!

There's a famous flower-sending company in the US that has the option of sending at Christmas not flowers or fruit but tomatoes. I used to send them annually to an aunt who complained constantly about the tomatoes of her youth and she was enthusiastic.

Maybe this will help...

(https://www.researchgate.net/public...teaspoons_in_an_Australian_research_institute)

Note the follow up papers...

...follow up papers include:

Disappearing teaspoons: French data indicate global phenomenon

Disappearing teaspoons: Teabags and forks are confounding factors

Disappearing teaspoons: Method of spoon surveillance was not adequate

Disappearing teaspoons: Teaspoons may reappear

Disappearing teaspoons: Spoon solutions
I would hazard a wild guess and suggest that teaspoons have formed an alliance with all the lost socks that have mysteriously vanished from homes everywhere and they are now planning to take over the world........

There's a famous flower-sending company in the US that has the option of sending at Christmas not flowers or fruit but tomatoes. I used to send them annually to an aunt who complained constantly about the tomatoes of her youth and she was enthusiastic.
Ooooohhh! Do you mind my asking which company it is? That way I can be sure to give Santa the proper hint!

Years ago my brother was doing some landscaping of a garden for a couple in Hull. As he was carrying out some clearing at the far corner of the garden he kept coming across pieces of broken brick but also pieces of crockery...and teaspoons!! He mentioned this to the couple and they told him that corner was where a bomb shelter had been located during WW2 when the lady’s parents had the house! She figured that when they’d gone to the shelter during a raid they’d kept cups and spoons etc in there to make a brew and over time spoons had been dropped! It was quite a nice moment for the lady handling spoons that had last been touched by her parents 50 odd years before!

I inherited some spoons from my mother - she used to collect 'interesting' spoons, the ones with little pictures on the handle. I know we had a Mannequin Pis and one from Jersey... I have absolutely no idea where any of these spoons have gone. The only spoons I have left (still seven) are plain old supermarket spoons. All the 'good' ones are gone - and they weren't things you'd throw away by accident either.

I inherited some spoons from my mother - she used to collect 'interesting' spoons, the ones with little pictures on the handle. I know we had a Mannequin Pis and one from Jersey... I have absolutely no idea where any of these spoons have gone. The only spoons I have left (still seven) are plain old supermarket spoons. All the 'good' ones are gone - and they weren't things you'd throw away by accident either.
I hate to ask, but did you have a relative who resented the inheritance? We have a few items that still start up family fights and the last donor died about 15 years ago.

I hate to ask, but did you have a relative who resented the inheritance? We have a few items that still start up family fights and the last donor died about 15 years ago.

There's only me and my brother. My brother does not resent the spoons (now, there is a sentence that I shall probably never have cause to write again) and lives over 350 miles away. These spoons just...vanished. Gradually and slowly over a few years, they moved through the ether to....somewhere else. Or the kids played with them and they ended up under carpets/between floorboards/down the garden.

I may have found a possible culprit!

Noodling around on the Paranormal Database as a result of another thread, I found this posting.

Teaspoon Stealer
na.gif

Type: Haunting Manifestation
Date / Time: Unknown
Further Comments: The former residence of the famous poet and writer was once haunted by a spirit with a penchant for stealing teaspoons and moving a certain painting from the wall. The entity was described as playful.

Maybe it's moved? Or has relatives here in Yorkshire?

we try a different ones each year - when we find perfection we'll stuck with it :)

This years are

Golden Apples

and

Sorry no label but it's a named variety

We got them from the allotment swap!

A long time ago where my mum used to live out of curiosity I planted some apple seeds behind my mums house snd forgot all about it. About ten years later I asked her how come there was an apple tree behind her house.

Every year people would pick apples frkm it. It was strangely satisfying.

A long time ago where my mum used to live out of curiosity I planted some apple seeds behind my mums house snd forgot all about it. About ten years later I asked her how come there was an apple tree behind her house.

Every year people would pick apples frkm it. It was strangely satisfying.
@Spudrick68 there is always something satisfying about growing things from seed and seeing the fruiting efforts of your labour!!

A couple of years ago I bought (or, to be accurate was bought) a set of teaspoons. Six, basic, ordinary teaspoons to replace the bastards that have crept away over the years. Within moments, I was down to five teaspoons - one thrown out, fell down the back of a cupboard, who knows?
I laboured on with my five teaspoons, until a recent visit from my brother (not a known teaspoon supplier). After he'd left, I found I was back to six teaspoons. And no, he didn't see fit to buy me a spoon, nor did he leave one of his own spoons (I don't even think he does travel with spoons, but who knows?). These spoons match. The missing spoon returns, hooray!

As of today, I have seven teaspoons. I just went to the teaspoon pot, where they live on my window ledge, and another one has arrived. Again, it matches the rest, is clean and unstained, and nobody except me has been in the house for weeks. Either the dogs are secret teaspoon smugglers, or the buggers are breeding.

You must have aquired a breeding pair when you bought the set!

@Frideswide I've never heard of golden apples sounds like a fruit from the illuminati!!

I went and reread the label - that's what it says, but I can't find them online.

Maybe named from the Yeats line "the silver apples of the moon, the golden apples of the sun" (I think).

I'm expecting them to be orange or yellow :)

Back