• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Mandela Effect: False Memory

I'd go with Guardians Of The Galaxy, then before that Reservoir Dogs (which is permanently on in our car) before that Good Morning Vietnam then also around that time The Lost Boys.
Take this Mental Floss for what it's worth, but this list has the biggest selling movie soundtracks of all time and none came after 2000. That's largely when hoopla about soundtracks started fading, as I remember. The 80s were the heyday of the soundtrack.

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/567464/best-selling-movie-soundtracks-of-all-time

I'd go with Guardians Of The Galaxy, then before that Reservoir Dogs (which is permanently on in our car) before that Good Morning Vietnam then also around that time The Lost Boys.
Mine is Trainspotting Swifty. In consequence of that Fillum, it introduced me to some cracking music.

I think it would still work. Like ‘whats’s your name?’ ‘I’m not telling you my name.’ and I’m not the only one that’s remembered it wrong all these years (or who’s from a different time line).
At our archaeology group meeting last night we were discussing the De Lucy family. Their coat of arms shows 3 pike (luce or lucius meaning pike). Wouldnt have to ask them their name!
de lucy.jpeg

Dunno if we've 'ad this -

Bassetts make a sherbet/liquorice concoction called a dip-dab. However, many adults believe they used to be called dib-dabs. With a b.
I certainly called them dib-dabs (with the b) but that might've been because I'd misheard it and the 'b' sound was easier to say.

Attachments

• Dip Dab.jpeg
    Dip Dab.jpeg
    231.8 KB · Views: 6

Bassetts make a sherbet/liquorice concoction called a dip-dab. However, many adults believe they used to be called dib-dabs. With a b.
I certainly called them dib-dabs (with the b) but that might've been because I'd misheard it and the 'b' sound was easier to say.
Yes I definitely knew them as dib-dabs.

T'missus mentioned this, this morning.
I always called 'em Dib-dabs.
The real name makes more sense, I suppose, but I'm not going to trot out the 'Mandela Effect'/'Glitch in the Matrix' nonsense.
Unless 'Mandela Effect' has finally been defined as 'mistaken memories'.

This must be a very common thing because if you Google DiB Dab, then DiP Dabs come up almost continually. So everyone was calling them one thing when they were really called another.

Unless maybe some local manufacturers (or even corner shops) were selling sherbet dips and calling them 'Dib Dabs' but without the branding? Thus perpetuating the name as spoken, but not written? After all, sherbet has to be very cheap to produce, stick a lolly in a bag of it and sell it as a Dib Dab?

I've heard some use it to 'prove' we live in a simulation. In effect - "My memory is the right one - reality has been changed around me!"

I suppose different firms could produce the same product, but name it differently.
Fun Fact: You cannot trade-mark a recipe - only the name.
Like Lidl and Aldi's rip offs of biscuits and crisps. They are named very close to the original, but not quite identical. Aren't their Penguin biscuit rips offs called Seal or something?

My Bassetts sherbet product of choice was the Sherbet Fountain with the hollow liquorice stick.
You could bite the end of the stick off and attempt to suck sherbet up through it, usually resulting in a near-fatal choking incident.

My Bassetts sherbet product of choice was the Sherbet Fountain with the hollow liquorice stick.
You could bite the end of the stick off and attempt to suck sherbet up through it, usually resulting in a near-fatal choking incident.
And my hatred of liquorice would mean that I would give the stick to someone else and attempt to eat the sherbet by tipping it down my throat. Also near-fatal choking.

Since being a toddler, I'd always chew the liquorice separately then shake the sherbet into my mouth.
I know this from an anecdote recounted by my mum:
While shopping in a greengrocer, mum parked me in a pram and gave me a sherbet fountain. A lady followed her in and, laughing, asked if I belonged to her.
"You're going to need to give 'im a bath when you get back!"
Mum came out to see me, a sticky black mess around my mouth from the liquorice and smothered head to toe in sherbet; what can I say? I thought it was talc.

Furthermore: only when I had access to computers and found the Spellcheckers changing sherbert to sherbet did I realise that the stuff probably wasn't named after one Mr. S. Herbert or summat.
I always assumed it was to differentiate between the sweet and the Middle Eastern drink.

And my hatred of liquorice would mean that I would give the stick to someone else and attempt to eat the sherbet by tipping it down my throat. Also near-fatal choking.
My mother once decided to save herself the trouble of actually preparing a Beecham's Powder for me by making me open my mouth wide and pouring the the powder onto it, dry.

Can still taste the bitterness and remember the panic as my mouth seemed to stop working.
I can't remember what happened next, was probably unconscious.

Not half as much fun as necking an entire Sherbet Fountain.

Furthermore: only when I had access to computers and found the Spellcheckers changing sherbert to sherbet did I realise that the stuff probably wasn't named after one Mr. S. Herbert or summat.
Oddly enough, when I was writing my post I was going to mention that it's a very common Mandela effect to believe that sherbet was always called sherbert.

Oddly enough, when I was writing my post I was going to mention that it's a very common Mandela effect to believe that sherbet was always called sherbert.

You're a right pair of Herbets, and no mistake.

I remember in the 00s going to the shop and buying one of these and discovering I had been calling them the wrong thing for decades - I always preferred the sherbet in them to the fountains. I don't like liquorice much either. I think most people pronounced it dib dabs regardless of the actual name on the wrapper.

I remember in the 00s going to the shop and buying one of these and discovering I had been calling them the wrong thing for decades - I always preferred the sherbet in them to the fountains. I don't like liquorice much either. I think most people pronounced it dib dabs regardless of the actual name on the wrapper.
I just practiced saying 'dib dab' and 'dip dab' and can confirm that they both sound pretty nearly identical. Unless you enunciate REALLY clearly, it's practically the same thing.

I had a strange false memory.

During lockdown I spent a lot of time on my computer and on YouTube,

I found the end of a final where Stephen Hendry was 9-9 with his opponent and in the last frame there was just the black left on the table, whoever potted it won the tournament.

Each player had about 5 shots each on the black before it was potted.

My memory of the last two shots was perfect, Stephen had a very pottable shot into the centre pocket, for safety he took it a bit fast and the black bounced back to near the brown spot leaving the cue ball near the centre pocket, his opponent made no mistake and potted.

But I always remembered his opponent to be Matthew Stevens, but it wasn't it was Mark Williams.

I just practiced saying 'dib dab' and 'dip dab' and can confirm that they both sound pretty nearly identical. Unless you enunciate REALLY clearly, it's practically the same thing.
I can't remember ever 'enunciating' ~ though, saying that, I did pay a couple of visits to Churches last year!:huh:

Back