• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Mandela Effect: False Memory

I see both as those words that have similar meanings, but nuanced moreso when used.

Homing in - I can understand as "aiming towards", or "directed towards".

Honing in - I can understand as "sharpening", or "making clearer"...

If any of that makes sense.:thought:

Except that "honing" means what you say without the "in". I still feel that the phrase "honing in" popped up out of nowhere, fairly recently, but maybe (in a Mandela-adjacent universe) it's always been there.

Over on Mumsnet at the moment there is what I consider a fascinating thread on False Memory. A poster whose daughter remembers being smacked and crying when, as OP asserts, this could not have been the case. She has asked her daughter more about the events leading to the 'smacking', and it's all very interesting. There's a lot of 'oh, she's obviously telling the truth, you must have smacked her and forgotten about it', but when the OP actually asks the daughter where and when this happened, it becomes obvious that the daughter (who is now adult) has created the memories...
https://www.mumsnet.com/talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/5064072-fake-memories?page=1

Sadly, while it's right to consider a child's account of being abused, it must also be remembered that children can lie especially when they have no idea of the consequences.

Sadly, while it's right to consider a child's account of being abused, it must also be remembered that children can lie especially when they have no idea of the consequences.
This isn't a child. The girl is 23.

Ah. I get you.
I cannot recall a time when my mum smacked me. Ever.
However, I admit I suspect it might've happened at some time - it would be in character for the time and situation - but I'd never be able to remember it happening.

She could be remembering a vivid dream. As children we have blurred lines between reality and fantasy. Also what can be seen as a minor incident by an adult can be perceived entirely differently by a child.

I remember as a child, my mom crying because we weren't going to church and me standing in front of her and she sitting on a rocking chair in the kitchen. She was holding my brother.

Only a couple of years ago (maybe 10) I told her of my memory (minus the crying). She confirmed that everyone was ready for church and my brother got dirty, clothing I think. She made a comment about having to change his clothes because he couldn't go dirty. My dad then said that if he couldn't go dirty, then we wouldn't go at all.

I do know that just seeing my mom crying did not make me feel good even though I didn't understand the situation. I would have only been about 3 as I don't remember my middle sister being there.

Ah. I get you.
I cannot recall a time when my mum smacked me. Ever.
However, I admit I suspect it might've happened at some time - it would be in character for the time and situation - but I'd never be able to remember it happening.
Yardstick and paint stick were my mom's choices of punishment. If it came to my dad needing to intervene it was a leather shaving strop or belt.

Back