• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What do you think really happened in the experiment?

• They managed to render a ship invisible to radar and nothing more

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • They managed to render a ship invisible to the eye and nothing more

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They ripped holes in space and time severly messing up human subjects involved

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • They controlled minds of subjects

• Something more sinister

• None of the above

Votes: 8 57.1%

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Has anyone heard of this story?

I have no idea where to pos this message so I figure that I might as well put it up here since it deals with the U.S. Government.

A few decades ago the U.S. Army was testing a new kind of stealth gear on ships by making the invisible. When they first tried it on a ship full of soldiers it worked for a few minutes then everything came back and they had people going through the hull of the ship and people joined together with other people and it was crazy. Anyone here anything close to this?

Are you thinking of the Philadelphia Experiment, Big Mike?

Carole

I always wondered if this story had its roots in attempts to protect ships against magnetic mines. These days they try to make ships "invisible" to these devices by de-gaussing the ship. (IIRC :) ) Hence "invisibility" by fiddling around with magnetic fields.

Philadelphia Exp

There are some books out on this one is called Project Invisibility and The Philadelphia Exp
Nebka

I'm lost(I think in a time warp) so is it a movie or something based upon real life events?

Some will say yes it did happen just type in the Phila Exp in a search and it will bring up several sites on this
Nebka

It is fiction...not worth

the research believe me..unless you want to read about a really good hoax, put on and started by one man..with many aliases,

Wasn't it Berlitz who first published the story, I'm sure Ive got it somewhere (probably in storage with all my other books).

It may not only be Allende's letters that inspired the rumors about "The Philadelphia Experiment" (which has also been referred to as the "Rainbow Project"). During WWII the United States Navy had a program to deguass ships. This process, which entailed running cables around the circumference of the ship's hull (bow to stern), canceled out the ship's magnetic field. This made it undetectable (or one might say magnetically invisible) to some types of mines and torpedoes. The process had no affect on the visual appearance of the ship. The US Navy suggests that a misunderstanding of this process may have somehow been the genesis for "The Philadelphia Experiment" story.

The above nicked.... um, I mean quoted... from here

Excellent story, but sadly a story is all it is. Unless there's some disinformation going around :rolleyes:

Jane.

I remember reading somewhere that Isaac Asimov and another famous Sci-fi writer happened to be working at the shipyard where this supposed experiment took place. Apparently it was before they made their names as writers.

This made it undetectable (or one might say magnetically invisible) to some types of mines and torpedoes. The process had no affect on the visual appearance of the ship. The US Navy suggests that a misunderstanding of this process may have somehow been the genesis for "The Philadelphia Experiment" story.

Sounds very plausible to me! (I hadn't read it on the website, honest...) :)

Bump! Now we know what we're talking about, I've renamed the thread! :D

The absolute worst B.S. I have ever watched was the video
interview with Preston Nichols about the Montauk Project/Philadelphia Experiment story.

If Nichols was even BORN in 1943, he was
WAYYY too young to be in the Navy.
Much less to be advanced enough to be
onboard the ship and being personally
responsible for the emergency
shutdown of the "amplitron's" (as he called them)
that were causing the time-rip.

He even has a 20-something accomplice who claims
to be a "walk-in" (soul-wise, I guess) from one of the sailors
on the ship involved.

Its fascinating viewing just to see how
seriously they all take themselves!

This is one topic even I have "let go" of.

R.I.P. Philadelphia Experiment.

TVgeek

Not wishing to drag this one up from the depths but wasn't it investigated in FT? Someone was asking about it and I was sure I had a read an investigation in there but drew a blank.

Emps

Yes, it's been exposed as a bit of a tall tale. FT covered it some 4 or 5 years ago. It seems that it all stems from an event that happened with the ship SS Mohican in the 1930s, whilst this ship was moored at Philadelphia. Whilst that ship and it's crew may have experienced some sort of unusual phenomena, it was in no way related to time-travel, Moebius strips, invisibility, greys, Nazis, etc..

JerryB said:
Yes, it's been exposed as a bit of a tall tale. FT covered it some 4 or 5 years ago.

Thats the information I needed and you were spot on - it was FT 128 page 28 (the November 1999 edition). I'd whipped through my old copies looking for it but the cover (all Blair Witch) pushed the other aticles to the bottom of the page.

Emps

Prob already know, but it's accepted that an experiement to make a ship invisible did actually take place on or around that date. Trouble was, the aim was to make it invisible to radar and absolutely nothing paranormal happened at all.

The guys who were actually on the ship still have their reunions, those of them who are still around. Apparently this is their favourite topic - they always have a good laugh at it.
It really is a kind of a parable about the sheer power of the human mind to invent bizarre stories, and also the desire (not to mention the need) of some people to believe in them.

Bill.

Oooooo.....missed this thread.

The Philadelphia Experiment was by far one of my favourite cases.

What gives the case more credibility is the fact that Professor Albert Einstein was working on the project. Using his Unified Field Theory , they began experimenting on vessels to make them invisible during war. It was believed that even Einstein deemed this equation too dangerous for man and at one point, begged the navy to cease their experiments.

It was the USS Eldridge that was subjected to the experiment and the crew of the vessel were victims of many symptoms after the event. Some died instantly, others were burned and many were disoriented for years to come.

Although one of the main witnesses is rather shady (Carlos Miguel Allende; AKA Carl Allen) many of the reports are credible.

The best quote in my book version of events is:

"Actually, the biggest deterrent to scientific progress is a refusal of some people, including scientists, to believe that things that seem amazing can really happen." - George S Trimble, Director of NASA Manned Spacecraft Center, Houston.

What gives the case more credibility is the fact that Professor Albert Einstein was working on the project.

Nikola 'Free Energy' Tesla was also said to have worked on the project in its early days before his death, and after him, his colleague John von Neumann.

Prob already know, but it's accepted that an experiement to make a ship invisible did actually take place on or around that date. Trouble was, the aim was to make it invisible to radar and absolutely nothing paranormal happened at all.

Didn't think the Germans had radar, though. The other explanation, that the experiment was supposed to make the ship invisible to magnetic mines, falls flat when magnetic mines weren't being used anymore by then.

If Nichols was even BORN in 1943, he was WAYYY too young to be in the Navy. Much less to be advanced enough to be onboard the ship and being personally responsible for the emergency shutdown of the "amplitron's" (as he called them) that were causing the time-rip.

Now we're getting confused. Preston Nicholls worked - or claims to have - at Montauk in the eighties; it would be Duncan Cameron - ditto - who originally served on the Eldridge (and later returned to it from Montauk to shut down the generators).

I never know what to make of the Philadelphia/Montauk story. At least half of what Nicholls, Cameron, Al Bielek, Stewart Swerdlow, etc. are claiming is bullshit beyond any reasonable doubt, but I still feel like there's something very unpleasant and wrong about the whole thing. If there's any truth at all in the stories of these men, what they have to accept is that what they were submitted to first and foremost was mind control and brainwashing, and, as such, it could have been entirely possible to feed them any combination of bizarre scenarios now surfacing as 'memories'.

The Germans had radar at that time, AFAIK. They began researching radar techniques in about 1905. But whether radar was or wasn't in active use at that time is not relevant, as it was clear that even if the Germans weren't using it then, they would be soon, as would the rest of the world.

The idea that anybody would want to make a ship invisible is puzzling, even in theory. First of all, the giant hole in the sea and its massive wake would give it away. Secondly, automated targeting doesn't rely on the ship being visible in the first place.

And Einstein? LOL! Sorry, but Einstein was a committed pacifist whos myriad quotes against war and violence are well known. The idea that he would participate in such a project is nonsense. His much vaunted involvement in the advancement of the A-bomb resulted from around 12hrs of work he once did when he was - perhaps naively - unaware of its true significance.

Here's one of his quotes...

He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once.

Heroism at command, senseless brutality, deplorable love-of-country stance, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action! It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder

Mickleditch said:
Didn't think the Germans had radar, though. The other explanation, that the experiment was supposed to make the ship invisible to magnetic mines, falls flat when magnetic mines weren't being used anymore by then.
The Germans certainly had radar during WWII. (e.g. the one at Wurzburg,) and some vessels were also kitted out with radar (including the Bismarck.)

As to magnetic mines, they were certainly being used in the early part of the war, and in in the UK Francis Crick (of Double Helix fame) spent a lot of the war working on them. :)

With all of the talk of magnetic fields, a degaussing procedure seems to be the most likely explanation for the initial nugget around which the rest of the story expanded. If you want to know the official line, it is here.

http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq21-1.htm

It was a surprise to discover, however, that the USS Eldridge had been transfered to Greece were she served as the Leon during the '90s.

The Germans certainly had radar during WWII. (e.g. the one at Wurzburg,) and some vessels were also kitted out with radar (including the Bismarck.) As to magnetic mines, they were certainly being used in the early part of the war, and in in the UK Francis Crick (of Double Helix fame) spent a lot of the war working on them.

Thanks, Fortis - was off on the dates there! :eek:

It was a surprise to discover, however, that the USS Eldridge had been transfered to Greece were she served as the Leon during the '90s.

A page with some interviews from Greek naval officers who served on the Leon (nee Eldridge) here:
http://www.think-aboutit.com/Misc/current_whereabouts_of_the_uss_e.htm

And another site devoted to exposing Al Bielek:
http://www.bielek-debunked.com/index2.html

Some internet posts from a guy who knew Al Bielek prior to his Philadelphia revelations are on the site. Part of one resonated with me: "As I said, Al was pretty interesting to talk to, but he did have a liking for the mysterious which I think is the trigger for the tales. Perhaps he believes it all (which I guess would mean he was telling the truth in his own reality). There are a couple other fellows involved in the narratives I've seen, so perhaps they've all just keyed off one another's desire for adventure. Dunno. One think I did sense when I spoke to Al was that he truly wanted to know the truth about such things, felt it was imperative that people should tell the truth." A case of, He's telling the truth - or he thinks he is?

An interesting new site on the Philadelphia Experiment is here:

http://www.softwareartist.com/philexp.html

Has alot of info, and while interested in the subject, the author has a healthy Forteanism that wants to find the real truth out, rather than transcribe the truth and make the "facts" fit it. He's publishing a book on it, but there is a great deal to read at the site.

Yet to be released, this book ("The Philadelphia Experiment from A-Z") has been written to provide the reader with a complete overview of all acquired information to date on the Philadelphia Experiment of 1943. Currently there are more then 300 Pages (not including pictures) in 9"x6" format. Much of the book has been written by myself, with exceptional help from Rick Andersen in the science sections, and Montauk areas.

I have spent over ten years digging through books, making phone calls and meeting various people in an effort to compile the following information. I been interested in the subject of mass displacement, time travel, and other fringe topics for a number of years.

The authors interest in the Philadelphia Experiment goes back to the 1980’s with the release of The Philadelphia Experiment, a science-fiction movie drama based on the legend. Later that same week I was in my local public library, and found The Philadelphia Experiment: Project Invisibility in pocket novel form, by Charles Berlitz and William Moore. Knowing that books are often better than the movies, I decided to check the book out. Upon reading the book, it became very evident that the authors did not consider the experiment as a fantasy. From here I began to collect information on the experiment, and so the journey began. As we fast-forward over eight years, we find that the legend of the Philadelphia Experiment is far from dead. The slim facts that remain are continually being twisted and augmented; this book was written to pull the twisted information back into perspective.

At present the legend of The Philadelphia Experiment itself revolves around a small group of people that will not be quoted, much less named. These people claim to have unusual knowledge, or even to have been personally involved in the experiment. When these self-proclaimed witnesses do turn up and are asked any direct question, they usually brush it aside or respond using vague (or "technical sounding" to the layman) terms. In preparing this book, and wading through the recent claims of "inside knowledge" on the PX that some are asserting, I have often found myself lamenting "How about showing us some schematic diagrams!" or, as John Lennon might have said, "Just give me some truth!" Much of what is out there is pseudo-scientific psycho-spiritual fluff. Nevertheless, even though I feel that the credibility of some of the individuals and events discussed in this book are dubious at best, I have included them so that you can see what the present legend is, and how it continues to be embellished.

I think it is important that people start reading ‘The Full Story’ when pursuing any fringe topic like Ufology, the Bermuda Triangle, etc. There are plenty of paranoid delusionists writing books like "Aliens told me ‘Humans taste like chicken...’"

I suppose it's possible that the US navy experimented with generating a powerful electromagnetic field around a ship to see if that might render it invisible to radar (but not, of course, invisible to the naked eye). We now know that exposing people to intense electromagnetic radiation can trigger an altered state of consciousness - with attendant hallucinations and mystical experiences (see particularily the work of Dr Susan Blackmore) - which would account for the tales of aliens appearing on board. Obviously the US Navy wouldn't be too keen on the prospect of operating a fleet of warships full of hallucinating sailors, so that would explain why the experiment was abandoned so quickly.

(Perhaps this fiasco even inspired the military to initiate their alleged research into electromagnetic non-lethal weapons)

Back