• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What do you think really happened in the experiment?

• They managed to render a ship invisible to radar and nothing more

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • They managed to render a ship invisible to the eye and nothing more

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They ripped holes in space and time severly messing up human subjects involved

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • They controlled minds of subjects

• Something more sinister

• None of the above

Votes: 8 57.1%

• Total voters
iirc but wasnt it the premmis that it was encased in a large rotating sperical magnetic sphere of some kind?
im not sure it would be seen by radar ,as it reflects off objects,and im unsure if radar would bounce of a magnetic feild or be absorbed by it.i would have thought it would be absorbed.
my main question would be how the rest of the ship coped in this intense "magnetic?"feild
such as the engines are they gas turbine,as most engines need electrical systems not to mention the rest of the vessel.
how would they have navigated?no point in being invisible if you cant go anywhere.
this may be mundane compared to the tail but its the one part the can be investigated.

Montauk Experiment

At one point a creature came through and everyone went into a panic. They shut the transmitter off. The creature ate people and equipment. They had to go back and shut down the unit in Philadelphia in order to shut off the unit in the future so they could stop this creature in 1983. This was on August 12,1983. The vortex locked on to the 12 August 1943 test and formed a loop.

The Philadelphia experiment originally began back in the 1930's in Chicago with three people. Dr. John Hutchinson Sr., who was the Dean of the University of Chicago, Nickola Tesla, and Dr. Kurtenaur, who was an Austrian physicist who was on staff at the University.

They decided to do something with the speculation regarding the concept of things and people being invisible. This subject had been discussed for several year. They got together and did some research at the University of Chicago around 1931 or 1932. In 1933 the Institute of Advanced Studies at Princeton was formed and the project was transferred there in 1934. One of the people on staff at the Institute was Dr. John Erich Von Neumann, who was from Budapest Hungary. He got his degree in chemistry in 1925 and his Ph.D. in mathematics in 1926. He taught in Europe for about four years and transferred to the United States. He taught at the graduate level for three years and was invited to join the Institute.

Good yarn here tells, I think the whole jive about the Montauk Experiment
http://www.crystalinks.com/montauk.html

"The Philadelphia experiment originally began back in the 1930's "

...but as previously mentioned many times in this thread, it has been exposed as a tall tale which has grown in the telling. Unless there's some actual new evidence?

Wembley said:
"The Philadelphia experiment originally began back in the 1930's "

...but as previously mentioned many times in this thread, it has been exposed as a tall tale which has grown in the telling. Unless there's some actual new evidence?

When you say 'exposed' do you mean 'proven'?

The evidence against is pretty rock solid, especially compared to the complete lack of proof showing otherwise.

Hokum said:
The evidence against is pretty rock solid, especially compared to the complete lack of proof showing otherwise.

Can you provide of any of the evidence, offhand? Or perhaps give me a link?

I'm pretty sure I read a very good debunking of it in FT, but I could be mistaken and wouldn't know where to begin looking in the pile of almost 10 years worth of issues. :)
The ever-reliable Straight Dope has the lowdown on this outrageous tale, though: http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_293.html

Its none of them. It was loosley based on a variety of things: a couple of dime novels, the ship in question took some unknown shortcut to get to a certain destination, loads of bar gossip from members of its crew that got exagerated over the years with the re-telling and basic crap from ufoligists as well

I think they ripped a hole in the space of time.
That's my favorite theory since I'm not in the debunking mode at the moment.
:lol:

And it's a more exciting theory.
I would like to believe it happened, even though the skeptic part of my brain says 'Yeah, Right!". That part of the brain is in Rest Mode now.

Jerry_B said:
The whole thing got taken to extremes here:

http://www.world-famous.com/Montauk.html

The Montauk Project - in other words, wank-powered Nazi time-machines ;)

Best summary I can think of.

I was reading a summary and it all sounds quite frighteningly convoluted:

They were all on the ship

But they are of different ages??

Ah yes well the Montauk Project put them all in new bodies and they only rememberd about it all later.

--
When you have to start evoking such complex get out clauses you know theya re struggling hard

--
I think the more important question is what is behind this?

The three guys seem sincere and it could all just be fantasy prone personalities creating this fiction but the big disnformation finger has been pointed at it but what would be the point? Covering up other Tesla-based high energy research? Seems unlikely.

I'm glad tos ee thy throw everything into the mix including the idea that the experiments caused a time loop which will result in the end of time in 2012 - I don't think anything is complete until you can throw that in.

Just scanning through the Wikipedia entry is an Eye Spy list of weirdness: fajed moon landings, extraterrstrials, Bigfoot, metahumans, inventing in the Internet (in your face Al Gore), etc. - it doesn't metnion Atlantis but that's in there somewhere (partly connected with secret deep train tunnels - the technology to get past the mid-ocean ridges is itself pretty impressive ;) ).

-------
Wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montauk_Project

Mickleditch~ said:
A page with some interviews from Greek naval officers who served on the Leon (nee Eldridge) here:
http://www.think-aboutit.com/Misc/current_whereabouts_of_the_uss_e.htm

And another site devoted to exposing Al Bielek:
http://www.bielek-debunked.com/index2.html

Some internet posts from a guy who knew Al Bielek prior to his Philadelphia revelations are on the site. Part of one resonated with me: "As I said, Al was pretty interesting to talk to, but he did have a liking for the mysterious which I think is the trigger for the tales. Perhaps he believes it all (which I guess would mean he was telling the truth in his own reality). There are a couple other fellows involved in the narratives I've seen, so perhaps they've all just keyed off one another's desire for adventure. Dunno. One think I did sense when I spoke to Al was that he truly wanted to know the truth about such things, felt it was imperative that people should tell the truth." A case of, He's telling the truth - or he thinks he is?

Just saw this update:

The lid closes on the Al Bielek Mythology

Submitted by fredhoupt on Wed, 15/03/2006 - 6:12pm.

My colleague, Gerold Schelm, has just received written confirmation from the one surviving member of the duo authors who wrote "Thin Air", that the characters created in the story were entirely fictional. Why would I post this now? Because one of the myths that Al Bielek created was that he KNEW that certain scientists were involved in the Philadelphia Experiment; he names them and says when they participated and where....and it all sounds terrific except for the small detail that he is quoting from the fictional novel "Thin Air".

Read the update yourself over here:

http://www.bielek-debunked.com/index2.html

To date, our joint efforts are the only serious challenge/debunking effort on the entire internet which, even before this new information, adequately put to bed and buried the fabrications of Al Bielek. Although confronted with our report, Al refuses to accept that his story is a fable. With this final piece of the puzzle in place, all that we can do is accept that if Bielek does not accept responsibility for creating a mythological telling of a mysterious scientific story, then we should recognize that he is not mentally well. We have done more than enough to show in verifiable detail that his stories are made up.

From our part, Gerold and I continue the slow process of investigating the Philadelphia Experiment.

http://dailygrail.com/node/2718

In collaboration with:

http://pxarchive.tripod.com

Big Hole in the Water

Even if World War Two warships COULD have been rendered invisible to eyesight, in the manner claimed for the Philadelphia Experiment, wouldn't enemy bombers, fighter planes, ships and even submarines have simply fired at that HUGE HULL-SHAPED DEPRESSION floating through the water?

The standard camouflage method of painting warships green and blue would seem a lot more effective than that.

However, it now seems possible to actually render ships invisible (to sight) by entirely covering them with giant "invisibility cloaks" which use fiber optics to bend light AROUND objects.

My understanding is that "invisibility gloves" constructed in this manner are even now being developed for surgeons, who have long complained that their own hands "get in the way" during complicated surgery.

Genesis of the PX?

The actual genesis of the 1943 Philadelphia Experiment legends may have occurred 39 years earlier aboard the SS MOHICAN.

On July 29 or 30, 1904, the MOHICAN lay off the Delaware breakwater, heading for Philadelphia.

Down from the lookout in the crow's nest came a report that a "strange grey cloud" approached the ship. The cloud seemed to be alive with electrical flashes, although this electrical activity did NOT seem to be lightning in the usual sense. The flashes became more violent as the cloud neared.

Within minutes the cloud enveloped the MOHICAN.

Electrical energies and caronal discharges fired from every surface of the ship, including from the crew members' hands and hair. On the bridge, the ship's compass needle spun wildly around.

The crew was absolutely terrified by the experience. And this was a modern 20th Century crew which surely knew what "St. Elmo's Fire" is.

Everything returned to normal within about 30 minutes and there seem to have been no injuries - not physical ones at any rate.

Re: Big Hole in the Water

Got a reference for that?

Do we know how widespread this story was?

I can certainly see how it might have influenced Allen(de) but that needn't mean it did -the idea could have just popped into his head (or been more generally influenced by Saint Elmo's Fire - he was a sailor).

www.parascope.com/en/articles/allende.htm

OldTimeRadio said:
However, it now seems possible to actually render ships invisible (to sight) by entirely covering them with giant "invisibility cloaks" which use fiber optics to bend light AROUND objects.

My understanding is that "invisibility gloves" constructed in this manner are even now being developed for surgeons, who have long complained that their own hands "get in the way" during complicated surgery.

It is theoretically possible I suppose but the technology is an awfully long way off and I am still unsure how it would work - would the fibre optics point in all directions? How would you see?

See the Invisibility thread for news and discussion:

www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20795

Mighty_Emperor said:
"Got a reference for that?"

William R. Corliss' SCIENCE FRONTIERS, No. 163, January-February, 2006, page 3. But I've also come upon the SS MOHICAN story before, so it might be worth a Google search.

And:

"Do we know how widespread this story was?"

The original news account appeared in the PHILADELPHIA INQUIRER on August 1, 1904 and was apparently picked up by a few other area newspapers. But the science and meteorological publications of the day seem either to have not heard of the story or else had no interest in it.

Mighty_Emperor said:
"It is theoretically possible I suppose but the technology [for "invisibility gloves"] is an awfully long way off....."

Emps, I'm forced to disagree with you on this one. Invisibility CLOAKS have ALREADY been developed and photographs of them IN USE were all over the Net around a year or two ago. Those news stories stated that one of the very first commercial uses would probably be for see-through surgical gloves.

Turning the cloak material into sterile surgical gloves can't be all THAT difficult or far off in the future.

P. S. You know the story of how and why rubber gloves were invented, don't you? That was accomplished within a mere two or three days, and while the first use was indeed surgical it had NOTHING to do with any MEDICAL benefit.

The invisibility cloaks that were on the net recently were nowhere near anything practical. They required a complex camera and projector system, and only worked if you were standing right in line with them.

Impressive, yes, but not anywhere near a practical use as yet.

Anome_ said:
"The invisibility cloaks that were on the net recently were nowhere near anything practical. They required a complex camera and projector system, and only worked if you were standing right in line with them. Impressive, yes, but not anywhere near a practical use as yet."

Anome, the photographs I saw were of a man (apparently the inventor) standing on a street corner, facing away from the camera. You could see the cross-street traffic pass right "through" him, quite clearly, to the point of reading the lettering on trucks. The only thing which even slightly interfered with the illusion was the fact that you could still see a few creases and folds in the cloak.

I'm not talking about the very complicated "Angel Light" gizmo which has had some even more recent news coverage and which (supposedly) peers right through solid walls.

I probably saved the news items on the "invisibility cleak," so I'll try to look them up. I still owe Emps a link to my African "invisibility charms" story, too.

OldTimeRadio said:
Anome_ said:
"The invisibility cloaks that were on the net recently were nowhere near anything practical. They required a complex camera and projector system, and only worked if you were standing right in line with them. Impressive, yes, but not anywhere near a practical use as yet."

Anome, the photographs I saw were of a man (apparently the inventor) standing on a street corner, facing away from the camera. You could see the cross-street traffic pass right "through" him, quite clearly, to the point of reading the lettering on trucks. The only thing which even slightly interfered with the illusion was the fact that you could still see a few creases and folds in the cloak.
That sounds like the same demonstration I saw. I'll see if I can find my reference for it.

It did involve a projector and a camera setup to get the image to project onto the cloak.

Yep that is all the invisibility cloak is at the moment. It's incredibly crude and of zero practical use at the moment.

Unless there have been developments that we've missed.

There is some interesting theory around but no real way of making it happen at the moment.

Mighty_Emperor said:
Got a reference for that?

Emps - the full newspaper account was reproduced in Fortean Studies Volume 2, as part of Michael Shoemaker's excellent essay on 'lightwheels'. If you want, I can type up the account and post it here - although it's quite long. IMHO, the story is the one which heavily infuenced the 'Philadelphia Experiment' yarn.

I've been through my "Invisibility" file and found a photograph of the Japanese inventor wearing the invisibility cloak and facing the news camera. He has his arms extended in a "tee." You can clearly see the pedestrians walking behind him. (You can also see some creases in the tunic and buttons down the front.)

The cloak seems simplicity itself (in its execution, that is, NOT in its concept) - it's woven from thousands of fiber optic strands, so that the onlooker sees AROUND his body. (I assume that those pedestrians behind could also see the news camera operator.)

Why on earth would a projector or other complicated equipment be needed for that?

We don't seem to be talking about the same thing.

Have you got a url for it? I'd be interested in having a look.

OldTimeRadio said:
I've been through my "Invisibility" file and found a photograph of the Japanese inventor wearing the invisibility cloak and facing the news camera. He has his arms extended in a "tee." You can clearly see the pedestrians walking behind him. (You can also see some creases in the tunic and buttons down the front.)

The cloak seems simplicity itself (in its execution, that is, NOT in its concept) - it's woven from thousands of fiber optic strands, so that the onlooker sees AROUND his body. (I assume that those pedestrians behind could also see the news camera operator.)

Why on earth would a projector or other complicated equipment be needed for that?

We don't seem to be talking about the same thing.

That's the one I've seen too. It isn't made of fiber optic cables that bend light around it:

"It's a kind of augmented reality," he said of his device.

In reality, the "optical camouflage" cloak is anything but invisible. It is made up of "retro-reflective material" coated with tiny light-reflective beads that cover its entire length. The cloak is also fitted with cameras that project what is at the back of the wearer on to the front, and vice versa. The effect, as the Japanese team demonstrated last week, is to make the wearer blend with his background.

www.mg.co.za/Content/l3.asp?ao=67802

The picture on the coat is made by a viewfinder which puts together the moving images behind the wearer.

www.thegreenhead.com/technology/2004/05 ... nvents.php

Professor Susumu Tachi told the BBC's East Asia Today that the coat was made with a special type of "retro-reflective" material, which acts as a photographic screen.

"We have a camera behind the person wearing the coat," Mr Tachi told the BBC.

The image from the camera is then projected onto the coat, so that the wearer appears virtually transparent when seen through a viewfinder.

Beforehand "it looks like a grey coat," Mr Tachi said. "But when we project the image onto it we can see a very clear picture of what is projected."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/2777111.stm

I can see how this could be handy for airline pilots and surgeons as they are looking through a view finder - it's basically like a HUD and there was talk that VR would be able to do this but VR has not yet lived up to the hype.

As it is based on a camera behind the object filming what is going on which is then projected onto the object it can only work for one observer and I wouldn't really class it is an invisibility cloak.

Last two sources have piccies.

Back