• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Ship

" have this fear that in the changeover, it's just possible that a certain amount of deadly radiation from the Sun could leak through the shield of charged particles round the Earth's atmosphere. "

Don't panic. The shield will change shape in complex ways, but will not actually leak during pole reversal.

wembley8 said:
" have this fear that in the changeover, it's just possible that a certain amount of deadly radiation from the Sun could leak through the shield of charged particles round the Earth's atmosphere. "

Don't panic. The shield will change shape in complex ways, but will not actually leak during pole reversal.

How do you know? Did you witness the last one?

After a look at the pictures of this ramshackle piece of metal from a page or so back I'd say that 1st world war fighters were better engineered than this badly welded thing. Nice blow holes, burn marks, spilled paint and wonky components guys, can't wait for lift off..... :lol:

"How do you know? Did you witness the last one?"

No, but those clever chaps at NASA have modelled it -

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2003 ... cfield.htm

"Reversals take a few thousand years to complete, and during that time--contrary to popular belief--the magnetic field does not vanish. "It just gets more complicated," says Glatzmaier. Magnetic lines of force near Earth's surface become twisted and tangled, and magnetic poles pop up in unaccustomed places. A south magnetic pole might emerge over Africa, for instance, or a north pole over Tahiti. Weird. But it's still a planetary magnetic field, and it still protects us from space radiation and solar storms. "

Thanks, Wembley! :D
That's answered a few questions I've had about the pole flip.

even though human 84 has a device that powers all things electrical i bet he still pugs his kettle into the wall and pays his electrictiy bill heck i even believe that this technospaceideaflyingthing is just a fraud.im sorry if you mention that you need everything to be so precise why are your original pics done all shoddy like you have used an old day meccano set . this thread is funny i dont care what you say human 84 you will never prove me wrong on this one.im not being ignorant i have read this since the beginning and i have kept my opinion to myself but no more.your ramblings on about how you need to know the technology when you dont know it yourself and as for the hyroglyphics yeah because the egyptians were known for their flying capabilities.i hope your psychology degree goes well into how easy people want to believe because you are so using these people.why dont you just put your hands up and say ha yeah sorry my bad i was drunk one night and couldnt help it.
rant over

I'd just like to point out that if this all turns out to be true, I wouldn't say no to a lift to Alpha Centauri or wherever when the Earth dies (or whatever)..... ;)

"Reversals take a few thousand years to complete, and during that time--contrary to popular belief--the magnetic field does not vanish. "It just gets more complicated," says Glatzmaier. Magnetic lines of force near Earth's surface become twisted and tangled, and magnetic poles pop up in unaccustomed places. A south magnetic pole might emerge over Africa, for instance, or a north pole over Tahiti. Weird. But it's still a planetary magnetic field, and it still protects us from space radiation and solar storms. "

And I understand that it makes the probability of witnessing aurorae at lower latitudes much more likely - which, having seen the Aurora Borealis myself, would be fantastic!

My cat's Inter-dimensional ship (it looks a bit like a basket) is fueled and ready to go, just in case.
:(

sunsplash1 said:
My cat's Inter-dimensional ship (it looks a bit like a basket) is fueled and ready to go, just in case.

My cat isn't bothered - she says she has her own electromagnetic field and anyone who can't survive off the land after a catastrophe is a wimp.
Lucky I wasn't expecting sympathy.
:miaow:

Heckler20 said:
I'd just like to point out that if this all turns out to be true, I wouldn't say no to a lift to Alpha Centauri or wherever when the Earth dies (or whatever)..... ;)

Just make sure you've got your towel ;)

Personally, I'm pretty tired of all these pompous aliens and deities coming to Earth, foretelling inconceivable misery and disaster and then offering a way for a select, chosen few to survive in some far-away paradise if and only if they do exactly as they're told.

Sounds a bit like some kind of cosmic extortion racket to me.

Or spammers.

As for me? If the Earth explodes tomorrow, then I have the serenity to know that all my atoms will fly away into the galaxy and become part of some other planetary system eventually, maybe even becoming part of some amazing life form I can't even imagine. Why would that be any more tragic than some star exploding a few billion years ago and spewing forth the heavy elements that coalesced into our solar system and eventually made me?

Nature is nature and all that is, is part of nature. All that begins, ends. All that lives, dies. Even from moment to moment, my body and mind changes and, so, who I was a moment ago is not who I am now. Change is constant. You can try to escape it now but you can't escape it forever, no matter how many spaceships you build.

Even if you became immortal and found some way to escape the likely eventual death of the universe, you'd still change and, eventually, you'd change enough that you'd no longer remember beyond a certain point in your past. So you wouldn't really be immortal because, while your body might never die, you would eventually no longer be "you."

I would think a being more advanced than me would know that. The fact that they obviously don't and the fact that they seem so utterly terrified of us knowing who and where they are suggests to me that they're just little beings like us, no more powerful, no more intelligent, no more wise, playing a con game.

(This, of course, assuming that they exist at all.)

Bravo, sir. I like it, and I agree.

'The Voices' have been prophesying the end of the world for millenia, but people still interpret this as 'the physical world is literally going to end in your life time, but you are special and if you have your shit together, paradise awaits elsewhere, so you'd better get ready!'.

If you ask me, it's a bit like assuming Moby Dick is a book about a whale.

Mythopoeika said:
Thanks, Wembley! :D
That's answered a few questions I've had about the pole flip.

You're welcome.

Interesting how the catastrophe theory of pole reversal got a lot of media attention, but the discovery that it was harmless didn't get the headlines.

Evidently the aliens did not see the NASA study either :)

Magnetic Pole Reversal is,yes,harmless-This,though,isn't:

Pole shift theory
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
This article or section does not cite its references or sources.
You can help Wikipedia by introducing appropriate citations.
A pole shift theory is a hypothesis based on geologic evidence that the physical north and south poles of Earth have not always been at their present-day locations; in other words, the axis of rotation had been "shifted". Pole shift theory is almost always discussed in the context of Earth, but other solar system bodies may have experienced axial reorientation during their existences.

One early popular proponent of a pole shift theory was Charles Hapgood in his books The Earth's Shifting Crust (1958) (which includes a foreword by Albert Einstein) and Path of the Pole (1970). Hapgood speculated that the ice mass at one or both poles over-accumulates which destabilizes the earth's rotational balance, causing slippage of all or much of earth's outer crust around the earth's core, which retains its axial orientation.

This happens either slowly (conservative version) or quickly (radical version). The results of the shift occurring every 12,000 to 20,000 years or so results in dramatic climate changes for most of the earth's surface as areas that were formally equatorial become temperate, and areas that were temperate become either more equatorial or more arctic.

Hapgood wrote to Canadian librarian, Rand Flem-Ath, encouraging him in his pursuit of scientific evidence to back Hapgood's claim and in his expansion of the theory. Flem-Ath published the results of this work in 1995 in "When the Sky Fell" co-written with his wife, Rose.

Other theories which are not dependent upon polar ice masses include:

A high-velocity asteroid or comet which hits Earth at such an angle that the lithosphere moves independent of the mantle
An unusually magnetic celestial object which passes close enough to Earth to temporarily reorient the magnetic field, which then "drags" the lithosphere about a new axis of rotation. Eventually, the sun's magnetic field again determines the Earth's, after the intruding celestial object "returns" to a location it cannot influence Earth.
• Perturbations of the topography of the core-mantle boundary, perhaps induced by differential core rotation and shift of its axial rotation vector, leading to CMB mass redistributions. See, e.g., Bowin.[1]

• Mass redistributions in the mantle from mantle avalanches or other deformations. See, e.g., Ladbury, [2] and Steinberger and O'Connell.[3]

[edit]
External links
Much work on this subject has been done by William Hutton and can be found at The Hutton Commentaries.

William Hutton and Jonathan Eagle in 2004 published Earth's Catastrophic Past and Future, which summarizes and extends their earlier work on possible mechanisms and timing of a future pole shift. [4]

[edit]
See Also:
Doomsday
[edit]
Notes
^ Carl Bowin, "Mass anomaly structure of the Earth," Reviews of Geophysics 38(3; August 2000):355-387.
^ R. Ladbury, "Model suggests deep-mantle topography goes with the flow," Physics Today, August 1999, 21-24.
^ B. Steinberger and R. J. O'Connell, "Changes of the Earth's rotation axis owing to advection of mantle density heterogeneities," Nature 387(May 8 1997):169.
^ William Hutton and Jonathan Eagle, Earth's Catastrophic Past and Future: A Scientific Analysis of Information Channeled by Edgar Cayce, Boca Raton, FL: Universal Publishers (August 30, 2004), 598 p. ISBN: 1581125178. Foreword, Index, and Appendices.
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pole_shift_theory"

"Magnetic Pole Reversal is,yes,harmless-This,though,isn't: "

But does anybody in the world of geology or physics take Hapgood's theory at all seriously?

Personally, I'm pretty tired of all these pompous aliens and deities coming to Earth, foretelling inconceivable misery and disaster and then offering a way for a select, chosen few to survive in some far-away paradise if and only if they do exactly as they're told.

Yeah - why is no-one ever meets the nice guy alien, the one that is actually saves the day without any terms and conditions about just who out of 6 billion is worth it . Perhaps he'll have some sort of qualification or certificate and we could just use his title.....

"When you go back to the stars and tell them of this world, and it's people and their potential, make sure you tell them this. It. Is. Defended!"

Actually, this whole thing reminds me of the Titor saga back in 2001.

An alleged time traveller called John Titor made claims of the imminent end of our world while he was nipping back in time from 2036 to gather parts and materials for his own "world" . Got a few people nervous and upset.

Didn't help that Titor had such heart warming sentiments as
"Have you considered that your society might be better off if half of you were dead?"

Like Human 84, he proved some tech specs for his machine - bit more nuts and bolts and less metaphysical - and also put some photos of the device on line together with the operators instruction manual.

details here if you wish them http://www.anomalies.net/time_travel/john.html

Heckler20 said:
BUMP!

Any news on this?

Doesn't look like it, does it? Human 84 was last here in July, but with no word on any space trips. Let us know you're still out there, Human! Even if it's to say you're very embarrassed or something...

Maybe it did work after all and he's blasted off. I, for one, never doubted him. You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Well if you do get the internet on Alpha Centauri or Zeta Reticuli or wherever, Human 84 we salute you.

Anybody else thinking of the Blackadder II episode where they plan to sail around the Isle of Wight a few times, and then return months later claiming to have discovered new lands?

Just me then.

"You have a woman's spaceship, m'lord! I'll wager that spaceship has never been bitten in half by a giant sea monster"

I wonder what condition Human will be in (is in?) when said ship doesn't do what he thought it said on the tin....................

Welcome back, Gad!

It's an odd situation. Given what he's said about the launch, if it works he can be as smug as he wants - we'll be too dead to notice. And if it fails, well, there'll be an awful lot of fingerpointing and going of "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!" in a derogatory way in the afterlife.

Thanks Doc (the last month has been hellish :roll: ). However, back to Human and his ship before I get accused of chat :D . Hmmm. Well, people have pointed out glaring problems with the specs and tech and we have had, I suppose, a series of answers from the lad himself. I note that our boy is out of contact - I hope he hasn't had a minor breakdown due to failure of the project.

I am no aero expert, but have a vague interest in high tech kit (mainly from a scientific isn't this interesting perspective) and have found a nice site that maybe tangental to some of the problems that may face Human in the near future (providing the project has fallen apart)....www.thespacereview.com/article/576/1

The articles are deconstructing a series of articles regarding black project planes e.g. Blackstar etc. However, some of the info regarding hypersonic flight, coolants, engine needs etc are (in well written layman's terms) highly informative and offer insight into some of the technical and mechanical problems that Human should be facing.

I would so love to be wrong, but I really can't see how this project is anything other than a (deliberately?) misguided and perhaps slightly delusional, definitely ego centric piece of escapism. The only plus is that Human is clearly sensitive, not dumb, and thankfully very young - I believe he will recover from his disapointment in time.

Late edit: Doc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (ah the drunken use of exclamation marks) I only just noticed the Higgins avatar. Top work. We must revive the thread on sidekicks. :lol:

My cat is rather alarmed, and is convinced a test flight is iminent.

H84, over to you.

**picks up microphone**

Thanks splash, I am here. Been putting focus in various places. Among other things, I've put much time into my new Jersey Devil site which will be online in a couple of weeks. I simply cannot believe how much information is actually out there; the site as-is, is massive considering the given topic. The prototype has not been cancelled; it’s a matter of this technician not putting the laser cutting on the front burner-there’s some sort of waiting list-for reasons beyond my understanding. Perhaps I should take it elsewhere. There are few things on this planet that frustrate me, and one of them is a situation where someone keeps moving a date forward (IE Capricorn, etc). Needless to say, I am dissatisfied in doing this. Regardless, I still speak to Hamel now and then, and I shall be visiting him at the shop in approximately 1 month. I will give as much information regarding that as I can; before and after.

Back