• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The UFO Community Still Believes—And Science Is Starting To Listen

I view jerome Clark as a good guy, but one who leaves soemthign to be desired as a Fortean; perhaps "folklorist" would be a better phrase for him. With some more wry amusement, I recall Mr. Farish stating sometimes, that the only reason he didn't accept such-and-such as a hoax was precisely because Clark was the one who said so. I expect the much can be said about Allan Hendry another skeptic in disguise, whom many in the U.S. view as a skeptic, as well, and Jenny Randles also. She is no Nick Pope by any means.

Frankly, I view this entire organization as a group of skeptics-in-disguise, and In think I speak for many when I say, that the Institute's "help" isn't especially needed, or wanted I suspect, to be blunt. We have enough skeptics on THIS side of the Atlantic.

By the by, I mentioned Kathleen's Aunt, Ms. Hill, primarily because defending her late aunt's honor was one major reason she entered ufology, not to make her seem more prestigious. i think her work can stand on its own merit there. Simply because many of you do not wish to admit the reality of abductions being just what they appear to be changes not a single fact. I have been pleased to help her correct some misinformation about Barney, and Betty, and will continue doing so.

MJ- 12 a hoax? According to who? Nobody I place trust in. Tests have confirmed repeatedly age of the ink, paper, and so fporth, although I am sure deniers will forget to mention this.

I admittedly haven't placed overly-much eyestrain on myself by over this very thoroughly, but what Colonel Corso had to say in THE DAY AFTER ROSWELL seems to back up quite a bit the existence of some such group as MJ-12.

In short, take a flying leap.

Simply because many of you do not wish to admit the reality of abductions being just what they appear to be changes not a single fact.
Correction - many are doubtful that there is systematic abduction taking place, certainly not in the millions as has been asserted in the past (mostly by HJM). What few are in doubt of, however, is that people are experiencing something both terrifying and extremely strange, with strong parallels in folklore re abductions by fae and elementals. That it's a phenomenon is not doubted. Its nature is debatable, though.
I expect the much can be said about Allan Hendry another skeptic in disguise, whom many in the U.S. view as a skeptic, as well, and Jenny Randles also. She is no Nick Pope by any means.
Jenny is quite capable of defending her own viewpoint. I'm sure she'd be the first to agree that she's not Nick Pope, however.
MJ- 12 a hoax? According to who? Nobody I place trust in. Tests have confirmed repeatedly age of the ink, paper, and so fporth, although I am sure deniers will forget to mention this.
Again, there are people better qualified than me to discuss this, and I'm sure they will oblige.
I view jerome Clark as a good guy, but one who leaves soemthign to be desired as a Fortean; perhaps "folklorist" would be a better phrase for him.
Frankly, I view this entire organization as a group of skeptics-in-disguise, and In think I speak for many when I say, that the Institute's "help" isn't especially needed, or wanted I suspect, to be blunt. We have enough skeptics on THIS side of the Atlantic.
Now we come to an important point - you clearly view yourself as an arbiter of what is, and is not, Fortean. You have said, both passim and on this thread, that you consider neither the Charles Fort Institute, nor the Forum, to be Fortean in their respective approaches.

On these matters, however, both Gordon Rutter and I are entirely able to argue the point, Gordon for the CFI, and me for the Forum. So please, I would deeply appreciate your views on where we are going wrong. Rather than subvert this thread, I suggest you start a new one in Website Issues to air your thoughts. We are more than willing to discuss this.

Ah well, answer came there none. From the Living Pterosaurs thread:
so long, dis-informants. I suppose it's a good thing Charles Fort isn't here to see his name purloined as you have done.

Forget any further comments. Have said all I intend to.
The door remains open, should Ghost Of Fort wish to continue this sparkling exchange. He's left for good before, so it's possible this departure is as permanent as the last one.

Not sure where this belongs...didn't see a Dr Vallee thread , but I'm rereading Confrontations (1990, HB, Ballantine):
his thoughts from several pages:

"Perhaps the major obstacle we find in this research is the preconceived notion that UFOs, if they are not imaginary, must necessarily represent advanced space craft from another planet. This notion represents the worst example of a jump to a conclusion in the face of insufficinent data. Although I am certain that UFO's are not imaginary, I will be disappointed if they turn out to be nothing more than advanced spacecraft,"
In purely scientific terms it is becoming clear that the UFO phenomenon is not all nonsense; yet the evidence against the ETH has been mounting steadily in the last decade. There is a wide spectrum of alternative theories that have not been explored seriously by the UFO research community....
I do not believe anymore that UFO's are simply the spacecraft of some race of extraterrestrial visitors. This notion is too simplistic to explain their appearance , the frequency of their manifestations through out recorded history, and the structure of the information exchange with them during 'contact'. I have argued that an understanding of the UFO phenomenon would come only when we expanded our view of the physical universe beyond the classic four-dimensional model of space time. UFO's seem to be able to operate outside of known spacetime constraints, In this sense they provide science with an extraordinary opportunity to enrich its physical models and perhaps to give us a new picture of our relationship to the universe, a new avenue of communication with forms of consciousness we have not yet recognized , perhaps including undiscovered levels of our own human consciousness."

Dr J Vallee, Confrontations, 1990, HB, from pages, 53, 54, 99, 100

I have read Vallee's ideas about UFOs before and I am generally in agreement with them, with some qualifications..
1. I think they are ET; It doesn't matter how they got here --they didn't come from Earth, at least the Earthly reality that humans and other animals generally have access to.
2. They are obviously under intelligent control; a control that indicates a technology far in advance of anything human-made.
3. They are devices; people who have seen them close enough can see that they seem to be often metallic, designed with specialization of parts (ports, domes or with modules like Woonsocket, rims, etc.
4. When they enter the atmosphere they sometimes seem like shooting stars or stars but then begin behaving anomalously. The device in my new avatar appeared that way, as did the "Strange Crown", and Charlie Red Star, and SO many others, so it appears that they are traveling through space to get here, how far? hard to say.
5. The glowing UFOs are often seen to be structured craft upon close observation. I think many UFOs like Cocoyoc / Woonsocket are made of some kind of programmable metallic matter. The Woonsocket craft were designed for a mission --perhaps one to go in ocean, one to operate in skies.
6. I think it is perfectly possible that they are simply ET from some other region of space with an EXTREMELY advanced form of technology, so different because it HAS to be to get here.. No more Star Trek conceptions of silly spacecraft with squishy green beings in them -think of advanced alien drones or devices or technology --let's not be hampered conceptually by our own understanding of the universe and our current technologies. Perhaps some kind of hyperdimensional technology has been created. Perhaps the "life" that created it exists in a way or place we can't even conceive of. Perhaps there is some kind of contiguous universe stuck to ours as was discussed by Podesta in Wikileaks that survived inflation etc. I don't know.

Also, regardless of what you think UFOs are, they can be agreed to come in "flaps" or waves. This would seem indicate periods where the objects are gone from Earth mostly, having gone back where they came from, perhaps some surveilling devices remaining cloaked in mid-air in inhospitable out of the way places, only moving when necessary, or some hanging out in oceans or large lakes.

I have read Vallee's ideas about UFOs before and I am generally in agreement with them, with some qualifications..
1. I think they are ET; It doesn't matter how they got here --they didn't come from Earth, at least the Earthly reality that humans and other animals generally have access to.
2. They are obviously under intelligent control; a control that indicates a technology far in advance of anything human-made.
3. They are devices; people who have seen them close enough can see that they seem to be often metallic, designed with specialization of parts (ports, domes or with modules like Woonsocket, rims, etc.
4. When they enter the atmosphere they sometimes seem like shooting stars or stars but then begin behaving anomalously. The device in my new avatar appeared that way, as did the "Strange Crown", and Charlie Red Star, and SO many others, so it appears that they are traveling through space to get here, how far? hard to say.
5. The glowing UFOs are often seen to be structured craft upon close observation. I think many UFOs like Cocoyoc / Woonsocket are made of some kind of programmable metallic matter. The Woonsocket craft were designed for a mission --perhaps one to go in ocean, one to operate in skies.
6. I think it is perfectly possible that they are simply ET from some other region of space with an EXTREMELY advanced form of technology, so different because it HAS to be to get here.. No more Star Trek conceptions of silly spacecraft with squishy green beings in them -think of advanced alien drones or devices or technology --let's not be hampered conceptually by our own understanding of the universe and our current technologies. Perhaps some kind of hyperdimensional technology has been created. Perhaps the "life" that created it exists in a way or place we can't even conceive of. Perhaps there is some kind of contiguous universe stuck to ours as was discussed by Podesta in Wikileaks that survived inflation etc. I don't know.

1. A plane with flashing lights in the night sky, a satellite or a sky lantern to a casual viewer could be described as a ‘UFO’ in the true sense of the phrase.
2. So far it hasn’t been proven they are under intelligent control. To my knowledge, Ball lightning isn’t under intelligent control, Nor is a triangle formed from sky lanterns although witnesses have claimed lights travelled in ‘formation’. Skeins of geese fly under intelligent control and flocks of birds have been mistaken for UFOs.
3. Not necessarily Devices. Didn’t Vallee mention that people used to believe fairies transported abductees to the mysterious insides of barrows?
4. Maybe they’re just that. Shooting stars.
5. I’d like to see some pictures of these structured craft. Everyone on the planet has a camera in their phone and it’s still points of light and blury pictures.
6. Yes. It’s possible.

The problem is that a lot of people confuse UFOs with Space Alien Transports. A UFO is just a flying object yet to be identified. As one low grade sleb claimed recently, she thought she’d been abducted after seeing a bright light which her boyfriend explained could have been a car headlight shining into the room.

Last edited:
Also, regardless of what you think UFOs are, they can be agreed to come in "flaps" or waves. This would seem indicate periods where the objects are gone from Earth mostly, having gone back where they came from, perhaps some surveilling devices remaining cloaked in mid-air in inhospitable out of the way places, only moving when necessary, or some hanging out in oceans or large lakes.

REPORTS of UFOs sometimes come in flaps. I remember a huge UFO flap when Close Encounters was coming out. I think the rest of this is speculation.

1. A plane with flashing lights in the night sky, a satellite or a sky lantern to a casual viewer could be described as a ‘UFO’ in the true sense of the phrase.
Yeah, and most "sightings" are those --probably 95% or more.

2. So far it hasn’t been proven they are under intelligent control. To my knowledge, Ball lightning isn’t under intelligent control, Nor is a triangle formed from sky lanterns although witnesses have claimed lights travelled in ‘formation’. Skeins of geese fly under intelligent control and flocks of birds have been mistaken for UFOs.

Sure that's a the big difference between folks who have seen UFOs and folks who haven't; sometimes structured craft under intelligent control have been seen at fairly close range. If you look at maneuvers reported --flying up sides of missiles, stopping and turning on edge before hitting aircraft, literally flying circles around planes, hovering over fields or landing and moving when approached, mirroring the movements of an intercepting jet, etc. etc.

3. Not necessarily Devices. Didn’t Vallee mention that people used to believe fairies transported abductees to the mysterious insides of barrows?

Sure, if one believes fairies are part of the phenomenon.. Also I think folks couch their understanding and descriptions of the same technology in the religious and cultural paradigms of the time as mentioned in the RAND document:
"Sightings of unidentified foreign objects (UFOs) have been reported throughout the centuries—most of them given a religious interpretation. Since World War II, however, there seems to have been a drastic increase in the number of sightings. We have enough data—both visual and photographic—on some of these sightings to know that the phenomenon is unambiguously extraordinary and clearly inexplicable in modern terms. The author examines UFO brightness, size, and maneuvers, and discusses the frequency and location of sightings. He ends by suggesting the need for more standardized reporting on UFOs, so that times and locations of appearances may be anticipated and badly needed objective data may be obtained."

4. Maybe they’re just that. Shooting stars.
Most are.

5. I’d like to see some pictures of these structured craft. Everyone on the planet has a camera in their phone and it’s still points of light and blury pictures.

I would too; so would Harry Reid, Podesta and many others who have seen videos like that and other items as well. In the meantime, take a look in the Newspapers thread --the Nellis Footage, etc. there is some pretty good footage in there. Amazing that a natural phenomenon not under control is so hard to get a selfie with! :D Also if you google best historic UFO photos there is a good site that comes up, and UFO evidence. is great but the pics aren't there large. There is a bit of good footage in that old film I linked to it directly --it is a shadowy dark object maintaining position in air.

6. Yes. It’s possible.
Agreed!

The problem is that a lot of people confuse UFOs with Space Alien Transports. A UFO is just a flying object yet to be identified. As one low grade sleb claimed recently, she thought she’d been abducted after seen a bright light which her boyfriend explained could have been a car headlight shining into the room.
Yeah, there is a LOT of that stuff and crazy folks etc... Goes with the edge of our knowledge --just like quack science inventions and radium suppositories. Sigh.

REPORTS of UFOs sometimes come in flaps. I remember a huge UFO flap when Close Encounters was coming out. I think the rest of this is speculation.
I think most folks would agree that there was an airship wave or flap in 19th century (it was all over newspapers), a wave in the '40s that culminated in the stuff in the '50s: there is even a whole site about it: Project 1947.

I feel for skeptics and scientists who will live and die without seeing one. It is a real tragedy, and I actually get choked up thinking about it. Seriously; folks like Stephen Hawking come to mind (not Neil deGrasse Tyson), and many folks on this forum, too. and this just makes me angry at the people who are not informing the public about it... But I understand why they have chosen that path.
I think what folks WOULD need who haven't had a direct experience with it is regular, continuous, unambiguous proof. And that is not going to happen any time soon unless our watchers want it so, for that would create a tipping point, and that's something that is being prevented from happening.

I feel for skeptics and scientists who will live and die without seeing one. It is a real tragedy, and I actually get choked up thinking about it. Seriously; folks like Stephen Hawking come to mind (not Neil deGrasse Tyson), and many folks on this forum, too. and this just makes me angry at the people who are not informing the public about it... But I understand why they have chosen that path.
I think what folks WOULD need who haven't had a direct experience with it is regular, continuous, unambiguous proof. And that is not going to happen any time soon unless our watchers want it so, for that would create a tipping point, and that's something that is being prevented from happening.
As a "skeptic" and "scientist", don't feel bad for us. All human experiences are unique and the scientific one is quite rewarding as well. There are different worldviews and certain ones are not better than others. I'm perfectly happy not believing in "watchers" and getting on with life run by natural laws.

As a "skeptic" and "scientist", don't feel bad for us. All human experiences are unique and the scientific one is quite rewarding as well. There are different worldviews and certain ones are not better than others. I'm perfectly happy not believing in "watchers" and getting on with life run by natural laws.
Yeah, I've seen things I don't know how to explain, but none of them, despite being strange, is something where I can say "I know this was supernatural"

I'm glad that excerpt from Dr Vallee's book Confrontations sparked more discussion.
I don't think it's likely that any of the contact cases, encounter events , or the more unusual landing events, etc are ET for the reasons Dr Vallee mentions in his 'trilogy'- Dimensions, Confrontations, and Revelations. I think most here have read those but if not I can briefly cover those points if needed.
I do think it's possible that some ufo sightings of actual craft could be ET from another solar system...though after all these years with such a wide variety of types of 'craft' and 'entities' it seems odd that the descriptions often don't match well begging the question ...why? None of the explanations that pure ETH proponents have given satisfy me. I think it's far more likely we are dealing with something truly alien as in another reality completely; a life form even more alien than simply outer space beings.
This is all speculation of course whether one uses Dr Vallee's ideas or a more mainstream ETH approach since we have no hard data to confirm any model.

I think it's far more likely we are dealing with something truly alien as in another reality completely; a life form even more alien than simply outer space beings.
I think that's totally possible, too.

You don't think there was a wave in the '50s? or earlier:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Airships_wave_of_1896-1897
https://sohp.us/collections/ufos-a-history/doc/1896.php
https://www.syracusenewtimes.com/blog-will-hudson-valley-catch-another-ufo-wave/
https://columbusfreepress.com/article/40-years-ago-ohio-experienced-major-ufo-flap-halloween-approaches-will-“flying-saucers”-be
https://www.google.com/books/edition/UFO_Briefing_Document/ZS_gVFQ0MDcC?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq="ufo"+wave+sightings&pg=PA57&printsec=frontcover

I just call them "devices" because I am on board with the Wilbur Smith Memo:
https://santitafarella.wordpress.co...-and-physicist-robert-sarbachers-1983-letter/
And cuz I think they are. I've known a lot of engineers, mathematicians and scientists (that's all I am going to say :cool:) Studied biology myself, too, so I am very much on board with science.

You don't think there was a wave in the '50s? or earlier:

I didn’t say that. I gave one example from my own experience. The thing I stressed in my post was REPORTS. Reports do not equal actual numbers of alien sightings.

Last edited:
I didn’t say that. I gave one example from my own experience. The thing I stressed in my post was REPORTS. Reports do not equal actual numbers of alien sightings.
And a lot of reports have no substance other than "I saw something". Some have had entire books written about them, but some don't have any more detail than a single paragraph.

The UFO community still believes — and science is starting to listen
by Chabeli Herrera, Orlando Sentinel, Updated: March 21, 2019

ORLANDO, Fla. — He appeared as if a hologram at first — then solid — suddenly there and clear as you or I, at the edge of the forest behind Trish Bishop’s home in Kissimmee.

It was a Thursday in March 2013, the glow of the afternoon tucking in for the day behind the trees. He stood tall, at least 6-foot-3, perhaps 220 pounds and certainly muscular, wearing a formfitting tan colored uniform, boots, and gloves. He lingered by the crape myrtle tree in the middle of the backyard.
When he turned around, it was his face, she remembers, that stopped her.
Bulging eyes jutting so far out of the sockets that Bishop wondered whether he could close them. Skin white as chalk. And a jaw so large, it dispelled any notions the government worker had of the visitor being human.

“If you compare a human jawbone to his, we would be a Chihuahua to a pit bull,” Bishop said.
Paralyzed with fear, she watched as what she believed to be an alien appeared to climb invisible steps, stopping often to snatch glances at her from where she sat on her back porch, fumbling with her phone to appear as though she couldn’t see him.
Her finger was pressed on the number “9” to dial for help.
When he was about 10 feet off the ground, he turned his back to her and pulled himself up — “into a UFO?” she thought — and was gone.

Bishop sat stunned. “I’ve got a freaking alien in my backyard,” she thought.
It would be four years before she told anyone her story, before she’d discover the Mutual Unidentified Flying Objects Network, a nationwide organization 50 years old, and file her report under case number 84886 with the local Florida chapter.
But she worried: Who would believe her?
These days, more people than you’d think.

https://www.philly.com/news/nation-...fied-flying-objects-outer-space-20190322.html

In a late afternoon in March in Florida. How hot does it get during the day in that place at that time? You hear about the deep south of the USA being a place that gets hot and humid - a sort of meme is of people taking informal siestas (although they'd never use such a Mexican word for it, I'm guessing) as the most sensible thing to do in the days prior to air conditioning. You see the classic memetic picture of the hillbilly or the yokel curling up for a kip in the afternoon - torn bib-front dungarees and possibly bare feet, big hat to keep the sun off, probably because it gets too hot to do any useful work.

I'm wondering - if you're a resident of one of the Deep South states - Florida is kind of like a tropical eastward extention of the Deep South? - ad you weren't on the clock or had any deadlines to meet and you had an afternoon off. Would a modern, urban Floridan on a hot quiet afternoon be inclined just to do as her ancestors did, sit in her garden, let the world go by, and perhaps fall into a light sleep? Possibly without realising it?

She says she was "paralysed with fear" as a bizarre not-quite-human intruder into her garden contemplated her and then did a bizarre thing that contradicted the usual laws of reality.

Sleep paralysis? The "night terrors" thing where you are paralysed and unable to move, and the Hag arrives, the sinister figure that can take any form, usually a malevolent, sinister one? You are lying in your bed apparently awake, but cannot move a muscle until the apparition passes and you can suddenly move again - a very specific sort of nightmare experience. No reason why this can't happen during the day in sunlight if you, for instance, fall asleep in your garden on a hot afternoon without realising that you fell asleep.

Last edited:
I'll admit to being totally flummoxed by the humanoid reports; the only theories I have for those are pretty far out, you know --the biology doesn't really make sense.

Where was this - country/town?

I know there's others here who've seen black triangles. The 'size of a football field' description crops up time & again. That's fairly enormous when it comes to a flying craft & estimating size is notoriously difficult if you don't know the altitude, & that's hard to tell in the dark.
One night, around November, driving to North Wales from Manchester. Driver was getting on with it and having conversation with people in the back seat. I'd had a long day at work and the motorway was thoroughly boring to look at; I fell into a doze in the front seat. The night sky was cloudy but not compltely covered.

Seeing it was a surprise: it was in front of our car and I suspect not all that far up, maybe 200 - 300 feet. Definitely not football-field sized, though: it was below cloud level, with cloud passing behind it, so I'd have guessed no higher than 300. It took the form of a dark grey made object in the shape of a letter "A", with the apex away from me. Well defined straight lines, with ridging, or piping, or detail, on both arms and the cross-piece of the capital A. No lights showing but the metal was gleaming slightly with reflected light. The reflected light from the ground was another little detail suggesting it wasn't that high up - the higher it was, the less light from the ground would have caught it. I would have guessed at - perhaps - the length of a big WW2 bomber plane like the Lancaster, but in configuration it was like no aircraft I had ever seen; I also guessed it wasn't concerned with me or the car I was in, it seemed to be hovering in place or perhaps keeping station with the traffic. (how many aircraft, apart from old fashioned biplanes, can do 70 - 80mph without stalling?)

I saw this for perhaps three or four seconds, then it abruptly "melted" and all those straight made lines went - that well-defined letter "A" became a cloud that had roughly the same shape, which was dissipating as I watched it. There was a degree of reflected light going on, both from motorway lighting and, more distantly, from the north Cheshire industrial belt to north and southwest. Some of this was catching on low cloud, as you'd expect.

I asked the driver if he had seen something odd in front of us - he hadn't. Something that size would have been hard to miss.

My conclusion is that I'd been in the hypnagogic sleep state where odd things happen and this had been some sort of hallucination/hypnagogic dream image. Subjective to me only.

Yet... the Fortean investigator inside me says - why this image? And why so near the BAE aircraft factory at Broughton, which regularly exchanges test flights with one in Lancashire...

But - most probably, dream image.

Last edited:
I had an interesting sighting once that made me question the way the ET see.

It was about 15 years ago, I woke up to use the bathroom and decided that I also wanted a cold glass of water so, I was walking through the back of my living room to get to the kitchen, where I keep a jug of cold water at all times. I was living on the top floor of a 3 story walk up apartment building at the time and I noticed two small beings walking the lane way outside dressed in black. People commonly refer to these beings as Grays but, they don't look grey to me. They look exactly like, Skinny Bob, right down to the outfits.

It was winter so, it was very easy to see them because the ground was all white from snow. My apartment was dark because I had no lights on and it was around 3:30 am. At first, I thought it was kids, around 10-12 years old and wearing the same outfits. They looked exactly the same and of course, my first thought was Halloween masks.

While I was doing all this thinking, one of them stopped, looked up and made direct eye contact with me. I was stunned because I was at the back of the room in the dark. But, it could see me. It looked over at it's mate and it walked back to it. They practically had their foreheads touching for just a moment and then they both turned, looked up and directly at me. They could definitely see me. A normal/regular human being could not have seen me standing in the back of a dark room three stories off the ground at night, let alone make direct eye contact with me. And it was definitely not a mask because I could see their big black eyes blinking.

I guess they decided I was no threat because they turned their backs towards me and proceeded to head down the lane way. I remember thinking, they are going to get a big surprise when they pass that first bush. The first house after the bush had a extremely bright flood light on their garage.

They didn't even notice when the flood light came on. Most people, including myself, are startled by it and have some kind/type of reaction. These beings didn't even miss a step, they continued on down the lane way until I could no longer see them.

Their eyesight must be very different from ours.

The aliens look just like the Mekon in the Eagle comic..

Mekon_Big.jpg

Anyone got a theory as to why there is no sonic boom when these things depart at huge accelerations.

Anything moving through air must displace the air.

Anyone got a theory as to why there is no sonic boom when these things depart at huge accelerations.

Some of them have made sounds like ricocheting bullets, others have been huge and not turned and moved away, but moved away at a vector without turning, making no sound (Stephensville). They seem (or some of them) seem to displace air, as an Australian aborigine was almost "skittled" by one on his horse, and could feel the wind, iirc.

There is a theory that they warp space around them or phase out of this dimension briefly, so the air passes right through.

They also appear to ignore gyroscopic effects.

Back