• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
The travails and times of The Wicker Man.

Like all the best cult films, The Wicker Man has been dividing audiences from the moment it slipped into Britain's cinemas 50 years ago.

The story of a Christian police officer sent to a remote Scottish island community to investigate the disappearance of a local girl has been described as "the Citizen Kane of horror movies" - and derided as one of the 10 worst films ever made.

The project started off well. It was written by Anthony Shaffer, hot off the hit play and film Sleuth, and its big horror star Christopher Lee said it was one of the finest screenplays he had ever read. But things started to go wrong when it went into production. The budget was too low, its island setting had to be recreated on the mainland in Galloway, and a story centred on the importance of spring and pagan May festivals had to be shot in October.

A further row over editing and a lacklustre release as a B-movie alongside Don't Look Now in 1973 almost smothered the film before it was born.

"In contemporary terms, that would be like a Steven Spielberg film going straight to video, virtually unthinkable," wrote Edward Woodward, who played the police officer, in the foreword to Allan Brown's book Inside The Wicker Man.

But just as the film deals with the rebirth of nature every spring, The Wicker Man did not die.It was reborn in small second-run cinemas, on TV, on video and DVD, and over the years its reputation grew. Academics and a growing fan base pored over its themes and strange quirks. After all, how many films deal with paganism, Christianity, murder and rural isolation with a cast including Scottish comedy greats, screen horror icons, two international sex symbols - plus songs and dances? ...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-65470238

plus songs and dances? ...

That struck me the very last time I watched it. That with a song every 6 or 7 minutes, this masterpiece of British cinema was basically a pagan musical.
In fact, I'm surprised it hasn't been turned into a proper West End musical (I'm not counting the 2012 amateur fan-based musical).

That struck me the very last time I watched it. That with a song every 6 or 7 minutes, this masterpiece of British cinema was basically a pagan musical.
In fact, I'm surprised it hasn't been turned into a proper West End musical (I'm not counting the 2012 amateur fan-based musical).
The West End producers are too busy going through all their "Best Of ... " CDs to worry about it.

There is a Sing Alonga Wickerman show!

I wasn't expecting an hour plus long "celebration" of The Wicker Man before we got to see the film. I was annoyed, so were most of the audience, we were eventually shouting abuse at the screen. It was presented by the highly irritating Edith Bowman, her fake laughter, faux wows, should have haggis set on her. It would have been bearable if the guests had been restricted to Britt Ekland, Dominic and Justin Hardy – sons of Robin Hardy, who are making a documentary about their father’s experience with the film. Maybe in other circumstances I would have enjoyed this programme.

The film itself, this being the final cut, holds up well, still a classic. The dark humour helps to leaven what turns out to be shocking climax. The Pagan Religion is just part of every day life of the Islands inhabitants, as normal to them as the policeman's Calvinism is to him. Great folk songs and dances. what's also interesting is the way their Paganism was only reintroduced in the 19th century by an agronomist. Lord Summerisle, comes across as more of a Celtic chieftain than a lord.

I saw the film tonight, the introduction should have just stuck with Britt Ekland, Dominic and Justin Hardy, and the guy that did the music, the film critic added noting and Reese Shearsmith was superfluous too. Lot of people nipping out for a pre-movie wee.

I saw it on the original release in October 1973, on the double bill with "Don't Look Now". This cut holds up well, and adds some depth (and back ground) to the characters - the conflict between Howie's and Lord Summerisle's beliefs better defined. The ending is as a horrifying as ever - I didn't appreciate the music as much the first time round - it may have been cut to ribbons in the edit. Seeing it again after so makes you realise how weird and disturbing it actually is - and unlike anything else before it.

A new book described as the definitive history of the Wicker Man is coming out in October. Although for that price, I'd expect it to contain the fabled missing film reels!
https://amzn.to/3O9dsQ3
Most of his other works come down in price a bit. To be honest if I buy it it's most likely going to be for the illustrations.

From elsewhere:
'WICKER MAN NIGHT' ON BBC RADIO 4 EXTRA

The Radio 4 Extra evening schedule for December the 2nd comprises the following:

17.30: The Verb: The Wicker Man Verb (a 'cabaret' of poetry and prose on a chosen theme)
18.15: Fear in the Furrows (repeat of a short doc. about Folk Horror)
18.45: The World of the Wicker Man, Part 1
18.55: On The Town With The League of Gentlemen (seminal FH comedy, episode 1)
19.25: Sentimental Journey: Ingrid Pitt (extended interview)
20.00: Summer Is A Comin' In (Michael Rosen investigates the folk song)
20.15: Desert Island Discs Revisited: Christopher Lee
20.55: The World of the Wicker Man, Part 2
21.05: The Wicker Man (radio adaptation, starring Brian Blessed)

On 8th December, BBC Radio 3 celebrates The Wicker Man with a special edition of 'Late Junction', comprising a two hour mix of music selected by Gary Carpenter, the film's associate music producer...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001t2w9

Hmmm. I’ve liked Japanese horror movies like Ring because unlike the US trend of jump scare shockers, they have a slow build, racking up the tension until it gets all ‘Holy Shit!’ at the ending. I think both Don’t Look Now and Wicker Man used the same technique to great effect.

Camberwick Green does the Wicker Man.

Attachments

• Camberwick Green Wicker Man.jpeg
    Camberwick Green Wicker Man.jpeg
    102.5 KB · Views: 15
Back