• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Watched the two first episodes. It was good I think, and not as bad as some say it was.
I would have preferred one episode stories like in the old days.

Please no spoilers if you have watched more episodes. I won't be able to watch third episode until next thursday. I only got linear TV.

There where two inconsistencies I noticed between ep 1 and 2. No Tad O'Malley and Scully all in working for the FBI again, but I thought they had their reason for this. The above mentioned explains this.

Indeed! Mulder a lot less scruffy as well.

Patrick Freyne casts a jaundiced eye on The X-Files.

Once there was a beloved television programme about intrepid truth-seekers who travelled the byways of America investigating the paranormal. They were driven by the obsessions of a gruff, often incomprehensible iconoclast who was dog-tired of the system’s lies.

But enough about Scooby Doo. The X-Files is back.

Yes, the programme that made sci-fi mainstream and pioneered epic story-arcs on television has returned for six episodes. Here’s what you need to know: Fox Mulder (David Duchovny) is an obsessive, conspiracy theorising FBI agent whose laid-back mumble spirals into an excited wordy drawl on exposure to mystery. His sister was abducted by aliens and this has made him weird. He is Han Solo mixed with Comic-Book-Guy. The truth is out there, he believes. He’s a truth addict jonesing for a hit of sweet, sweet truth.

His partner, Dana Scully (Gillian Anderson), is a calmly-spoken pragmatist. She investigates the same mysteries as Mulder but sceptically, and in heels. A well-placed science-sigh from Scully always undermines the tinfoil-hatted mansplaining of Mulder (I’d love to have been at the meeting where they decided that having him wear an actual tinfoil hat was too on the nose).

Tweak this formula slightly and you have a programme about a paranoid shut-in and his carer, but the writers usually had us veer closer to Mulder’s perspective than Scully’s. We wanted to believe. Sadly the ambitious alien-centric mythology slowly spiralled out of control.

Creator Chris Carter has admitted that they never really planned ahead. Episodes became cries for help as the panic-stricken writers tried to extricate themselves from their own fictional cul-de-sacs. It became hard to believe real government officials could create a massive conspiracy when a room of writers couldn’t sustain a fictional one.

In the new series, Mulder, still a ranting misfit, and Scully, a pioneering doctor, are reunited by rich talk-show host Tad O’Malley (Joel McHale). It’s nice to see them again. They have a uniquely warm, witty television chemistry. “Kiss her you fool!” I shout at Mulder as they dawdle on the street. ...

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/t...ience-sighs-while-mulder-mansplains-1.2512268

Finally got around to watching the first two episodes. Second was better than the first, IMO.

Edit- wait a minute - I just saw above...that was Joel McHale?! :eek: I never recognized him!
And I was a devoted viewer of The Soup for years!

Last edited:
Saw 1st 2 episodes not bad. Good to see Skinner back. Doesn't hold a match to my all time favorite "Home" with the 3 freaky Peacock brothers.
:creepy:

Tonights episode was one of tongue in cheek ones. A Werelizard except its a lizardman bitten by a serial killer human. The Were part is turning into a man. Not bad.

Tonights episode was one of tongue in cheek ones. A Werelizard except its a lizardman bitten by a serial killer human. The Were part is turning into a man. Not bad.
What channel are you watching it on?
I thought it wasn't on over here until the 8th.

Tonight
    • s episode was one of tongue in cheek ones. A Werelizard except its a lizardman bitten by a serial killer human. The Were part is turning into a man. Not bad.
I thought it was a bit silly, but then what do I know. Certainly seen better. BTW Mythopoeika you can see it on the Fox on demand channel at your leisure.

I thought it was a bit silly, but then what do I know. Certainly seen better. BTW Mythopoeika you can see it on the Fox on demand channel at your leisure.

With having only 6 episodes in a season, this one seems like a complete waste.

Damn, I wish I could find something nice to say about this.

Well, I will leave it to good ol' Moz

Reactions: Jim
Watched episode 3 with the lizardman. It was great! It was like one of the old humor episodes.
Noticed many on IMDB's X-files message board really hated it.

I was never a big fan of the Darin Morgan episodes. Would have hated that one in the past but quite enjoyed it as an older, less precious viewer.

Was that the first time Charles Fort was directly referenced?

Second one reminded me a lot of the older episodes but I found it a bit boring after the opener, it didn't seem to follow and that post about the order changing fixed that.

First episode was okay but a bit too rushed and a bit too "and then this happened, and then this happened".

It is a real shame this is only six episodes, as while far from perfect, it has enough of its old mojo and has set up enough interesting ideas to hold my interest over 24. I wonder if we will get a six episode season every year for the foreseeable future.

Yep. I enjoyed it!
Some old faces (looking much older) have returned!

I've just seen the first episode of the new series. I stopped regularly watching the show back in the day, so I don't know how consistently it deals with the mythology. But I enjoyed it.

It was well weird to see this air on Channel 5.
Anyway, the special effects looked ... Well... A bit dated - but it's good to see they're now getting cell phone coverage in the more remote areas these days.
It's a must watch of course.

Its being discussed on the old X-Files thread. I'll move relevant posts to this one.

I was prepared to have reservations, and maybe had a couple because the mainstream world has caught up with and surpassed the 90s paranoia of The X Files, and all those internet buzzwords Chris Carter crowbarred into the script sounded a bit like pandering.

But you know what? I liked it, it was recognisably a continuation of the series that had gone before, even down to the same opening titles. It's not as if it has never been away, we have had a film in the break between seasons, but it cheered me to see Mulder getting all het up and Scully retaining her cool (albeit with a bit of mild swearing to prove she meant business). Good to see Joel McHale too. Maybe it's nostalgia, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Are new and old X-Files threads really necessary?

It is a continuation of the same show, same actors, same themes...

I thought it was great. Fantastic to see it back!

Gillian Anderson has lost way too much weight though.

Third episode "Mulder & Scully meet the were-monster" was a very funny episode, right up there with "Jose Chung's From Outer Space". Inspired casting having NZ comedian Rhys Darby (Murray from Flight of the Conchords).

Considering their ages I think they both look great. One of my exes used to fancy them. I wonder if she still does.

but hey, a lot happens in 20 years
What? When did that happen? Next you'll be telling me that 1996 was last century.
One of my exes used to fancy them. I wonder if she still does.
An engaging pluralism, that may be a mere typographical tantalisation or (conceivably) an allusion to process and consequence in terms of past-tensedness, relationshipswise. Sorry, I read it as a conversational gambit (not, though, a trope for an episode of the endonomically-titled series), I'll shut up now.

An engaging pluralism, that may be a mere typographical tantalisation or (conceivably) an allusion to process and consequence in terms of past-tensedness, relationshipswise. Sorry, I read it as a conversational gambit (not, though, a trope for an episode of the endonomically-titled series), I'll shut up now.
She was bi, she fancied them both. Since everyone fancied at least one or the other, it's hardly surprising. And she seemed to fancy just about everyone she saw on TV and in movies anyway.:D

Are new and old X-Files threads really necessary?

It is a continuation of the same show, same actors, same themes...

Yes but there has been a 15 year gap.

Different enough to warrant a new thread I reckon.

JimV1 started off the New X-Files and I moved relevant posts to it.

What do others think?

Yes but there has been a 15 year gap.

Different enough to warrant a new thread I reckon.

JimV1 started off the New X-Files and I moved relevant posts to it.

What do others think?
When I saw a New X-Files thread had been made, I was expecting it to be merged with the old thread imminently. I was surprised when posts were moved from the old to the new threads. It's clear nothing much has changed in the show in the intervening years, and it's precisely because it has been so long that there's not much to say about the original run. Also, since the overarching mythology of the new show is a continuation, some opinions might be relevant to both incarnations of the show.

Back