• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Things That Are NOT UFOs

Now here's a puzzle: I took this pic today to record the old railway bridge in the foreground (iron railings on the right):

SmallDSCN0549.jpg

But what's that in the sky behind? Crop from the original full-size pic:

HayleWTF.jpg

Next time I'm in Hayle (maybe Thursday) I'll check to see if there's anything permanently there, like a wotsit on a pole.

Meantime, any suggestions?

"Look out my window and what do I see
A crack in the sky
and a hand reaching down to me
All the nightmares came today
And it looks as though they're
here to stay"

Oh you pretty things.

Sky Ladder ... a Chinese pyrotechnic art installation

Lampshade?

bVfLFz2.png

Yep, lampshade. Some keyboard warriors have even tracked down the tourist lodge in Wyoming the picture was taken from, along with the type of lampshade shown.

PAP98XJ.png

Someone posted this as a bug in their computer game on another forum. With the red circle and having watched too many ufo/ghost/object in space videos on youtube where things get red circles to emphasize them, I concluded it was a ufo invading their computer game. ;)
not_a_ufo.jpg

It's a computer game...so not an actual UFO...

Edit: Oh, wait...it's not inconsistent with the thread title.

I got a couple of shots of an unusual cloud on 27.11.2007. which I posted somewhere on this MB.

But with the super-efficient search in Windows 10, it's quicker to show them again than search for my earlier posts!

IMG_0234.jpg
The aliens contemplate destroying Falmouth Harbour...​

IMG_0235.jpg

..but decide it's not worth the effort and move off...

:p

Wow! That does look like that scene in Independence Day. :eek:

Well, here's an exciting headline from today's Express:

Sign of the end? 'Alien' UFO to crash into Earth in weeks on THIRD Friday 13th of year

What's all this then? Ah:
Although astronomers have yet to identify the source of the mystery space debris, it is believed to have been part of something we once sent into space which has come back to haunt us.
General consensus seems to be that the object - designated WT1190F - is either a satellite fuel tank or a spent rocket stage. It will probably burn up in the atmosphere, and any bits that don't will fall harmlessly into the Indian Ocean.

Anyhow, I've learned something new today as I didn't realise satellites had fuel tanks.

Anyhow, I've learned something new today as I didn't realise satellites had fuel tanks.

Yes, they need them for station keeping. Left to their own devices, orbits would drift because of gravitational perturbations, but telecomm satellites and satnav satellites need to be precisely positioned, so thrusters will make orbital adjustments from time to time.

I loved rynner's cloud photos from 2007.

We were treated to a splendid aerial display of lenticular clouds over Oldham on Monday an hour or so before sunset. Their streamlined forms and pastel shades made me think of a 1930s Odeon. A pity I had no decent camera to hand.

I half-expected to hear some reports of mysterious craft but these shapes were so towering and majestic that they may not have triggered the UFO response, even in innocent observers. :)

My Gran - although she is now dead I can categorically say she was never a UFO alive or dead. In fact she would have been shocked by the suggestion.

'Mysterious light in sky' spooks California

A mysterious bright light in the sky has sent Californians into panic - only for it to be explained soon afterwards.
The light was spotted travelling quickly over Orange County and neighbouring areas late on Saturday, leading to fevered speculation online over its origin.

The Orange County sheriff said the light was from a naval test fire made off the California coastline.
Aviation officials had warned of possible US military activity.
Videos posted online show a bright flare rising high, before a wide, bright blue flash emerges in a cone shape. Many videos continue to track the light for several minutes.

On Friday, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) said night-time flights to and from Los Angeles International (LAX) would avoid flying over the Pacific Ocean to the west of the airport, the second busiest in the US.
The FAA did not disclose the reason for the change, but indicated that military activity in the area would take place between Friday and Thursday.
Media in California confirmed that the light came from an unarmed Trident missile fired from the USS Kentucky navy submarine.

The San Diego Union-Tribune said police were inundated with calls "reporting everything from a flare to a comet to a nuclear bomb".
The newspaper said the light was seen as far away as the states of Nevada and Arizona. CBS-LA reported sightings in San Francisco, 380 miles (600km ) to the north.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-34759177

Eburacum: Are you sure that cloud wasn't Christ on a bike?

It was the hammer that gave it away. Oh - no, wait; JC had a hammer too, didn't he?

Yep, he was a carpenter.

Yep, he was a carpenter.

Relics Question : There were loads of Christ-related "relics" doing the rounds in the Middle Ages - fragments of the cross, the original Crown of Thorns, spear heads, Grails galore and buckets of Holy Foreskins. Was there ever any furniture crafted by Jesus doing the rounds?

Was there ever any furniture crafted by Jesus doing the rounds?
Nah! His father ran the woodworking business, so successfully that Jesus didn't have to work, and so could go wandering around, studying religion and preaching in synagogues, before he went out and collected some disciples and began the life that's been reported in the Gospels.

He wasn't the Messiah, he was just a naughty rich hippy! Later he accompanied his rich uncle (possibly his real father) Joseph of Arimathea, on trips to trade for tin in Britain. Where, in typical hippy style, he would have got together with the local druids, like the Beatles and the Maharishi a couple of millenia later.

(Other viewpoints may be available! :D )

Who made the crosses for crucifixions? Roman carpenters, or maybe they subcontracted the work out?

Nah! His father ran the woodworking business, so successfully that Jesus didn't have to work, and so could go wandering around, studying religion and preaching in synagogues, before he went out and collected some disciples and began the life that's been reported in the Gospels.

He wasn't the Messiah, he was just a naughty rich hippy! Later he accompanied his rich uncle (possibly his real father) Joseph of Arimathea, on trips to trade for tin in Britain. Where, in typical hippy style, he would have got together with the local druids, like the Beatles and the Maharishi a couple of millenia later.

(Other viewpoints may be available! :D )
That's probably a valid interpretation. :D
Jeez and his rich mates probably had a bet between them (just like L. Ron Hubbard's bet that he could start a religion). Faked his death and retired at 33 on the proceeds.

Back