• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Time Or Dimensional Slips

I'd like to know more about the one in Liverpool where the woman saw herself (in the past/future). It involved one of them being on a bus and the other possibly pushing a pram or something?

I may have remembered the details wrongly.....that is my memory of the story....

I don't think if you are going through a weird experience your first thought would be to take your phone out, it seems that confusion seems to be the primary mental state
Also fear, people may realise they are in a highly unusual situation and are afraid, it's very easy for people sitting in an armchair, who have never experienced anything highly strange, to say, "Why didn't you take a photo?"

Edit: it's a bit like asking someone who just got mugged, "Well, why didn't you get a photo of your attacker?"

I doubt tech would work anyway.

In many ways time-slips face the same underlying issue as UFOs in this digital 21st Century as in each and every claimed experience is met with "But we all have smart phones now, where are the photos?"

Jenny Randles describes time-slips (or storms) as being "fleeting"in nature and an involving an "altered state of consciousness" and for me the most convincing witness accounts match these criteria. Therefore, no time to get evidence on your smart phone or to even think about doing so during an all-consuming turn of events.

This is why I am skeptical of prolonged time-slip claims and although there are a handful of quite convincing longer events, the actual time-slip element is a fleeting moment in the narrative and usually realised in hindsight.
The only issue I'd have with time slips being an altered state of consciousness (tantalizing theory!) is how likely is it that more than one person would have this altered consciousness in the same way at the same time?

The only issue I'd have with time slips being an altered state of consciousness (tantalizing theory!) is how likely is it that more than one person would have this altered consciousness in the same way at the same time?
If the source is external, it may induce altered states of consciousness in the observers.

If the source is external, it may induce altered states of consciousness in the observers.
That's my point, how likely is it that some external unknown mechanism creates an identical altered state of consciousness in more than one individual simultaneously? Tantalizing idea. Does that mean it would be possible to alter the consciousness of, say, an entire city? Country? Is this what causes Mandala effects?

Like I said, tantalizing.

The bit about going through Droitwich Spa twice was probably a case of not paying proper attention.

The bit about the vanishing 'mosaic' is easily explained. I visit Worcester and/or travel through it when going from Hereford to Birmingham a few times per year. The line runs East-West and Worcester Foregate station and Worcester Shrub Hill are both on it and surprisingly close together. I have certainly been on a train on that has come in, waited and then changed direction. Presumably this is possible on both tracks, dunno. Anyway, someone might have seen the lovely tiling one day and expected to see it again the next time when travelling the same direction, without realising they were on the other track and looking at the boring platform instead. Or they might have been at Foregate instead.

That's my point, how likely is it that some external unknown mechanism creates an identical altered state of consciousness in more than one individual simultaneously? Tantalizing idea. Does that mean it would be possible to alter the consciousness of, say, an entire city? Country? Is this what causes Mandala effects?

Like I said, tantalizing.

On the other hand, stories are also capable of creating altered states of consciousness in groups of people. Perhaps "time slips" are really about the interaction of stories and particular environments.

Also fear, people may realise they are in a highly unusual situation and are afraid, it's very easy for people sitting in an armchair, who have never experienced anything highly strange, to say, "Why didn't you take a photo?"

Edit: it's a bit like asking someone who just got mugged, "Well, why didn't you get a photo of your attacker?"

I doubt tech would work anyway.
Thinking back to when I saw the Northern Lights standing in the school car park waiting for a son to return from a school trip. The whole horizon was green and weird, but nobody else was reacting at all. I would have felt daft taking out my phone to take a picture, when everyone else was going about their normal business, almost as though I was the only person who was aware of what was going on. So I half wondered if I was seeing things and half wondering if it was something completely normal (welding or something) of which I was unaware, and I assume that this 'is it just me or....' causes some of the lack of photography.

Thinking back to when I saw the Northern Lights standing in the school car park waiting for a son to return from a school trip. The whole horizon was green and weird, but nobody else was reacting at all. I would have felt daft taking out my phone to take a picture, when everyone else was going about their normal business, almost as though I was the only person who was aware of what was going on. So I half wondered if I was seeing things and half wondering if it was something completely normal (welding or something) of which I was unaware, and I assume that this 'is it just me or....' causes some of the lack of photography.
So many people don't pay attention to their surroundings which is why I feel so may IFOs/UFOs have been seen by people stepping outside for a cigarette and invariably looking skywards (I know I used to) and people outdoors with young children (being vigilant and also young children do look around) and walking the dog (where's it gone this time?).

Have said it on here before in my best curmudgeonly typing voice: the train journey down from Exeter to Penzance is one of the most scenic in England with estuaries, coastline, moorland, high viaducts over rivers and woodlands, the mining landscape around St Austell etc., but people just sit there glued to their electronic devices! The aliens could fly by whilst mooning out of their portholes and none of them would notice! (rant over).

But on a more practical note, I have now twice seen the helicopter towing the geophysics platform above West Cornwall. (see "Things that are not UFOs). The first time in a minibus with six other people and the second time from a double-decker bus packed with mostly College students and on both occasions I was the only person to notice it. Not because I have some super Fortean powers but because the vast majority of people aren't paying attention to their surroundings and it just happens I found both journeys interesting and was looking out of the window...

So many people don't pay attention to their surroundings which is why I feel so may IFOs/UFOs have been seen by people stepping outside for a cigarette and invariably looking skywards (I know I used to) and people outdoors with young children (being vigilant and also young children do look around) and walking the dog (where's it gone this time?).

Have said it on here before in my best curmudgeonly typing voice: the train journey down from Exeter to Penzance is one of the most scenic in England with estuaries, coastline, moorland, high viaducts over rivers and woodlands, the mining landscape around St Austell etc., but people just sit there glued to their electronic devices! The aliens could fly by whilst mooning out of their portholes and none of them would notice! (rant over).

But on a more practical note, I have now twice seen the helicopter towing the geophysics platform above West Cornwall. (see "Things that are not UFOs). The first time in a minibus with six other people and the second time from a double-decker bus packed with mostly College students and on both occasions I was the only person to notice it. Not because I have some super Fortean powers but because the vast majority of people aren't paying attention to their surroundings and it just happens I found both journeys interesting and was looking out of the window...
I can't not look out of the window when travelling.

If you are concentrating on your phone for example you could wander in and out of a timeslip without noticing it

But I do feel there is a little more in it than that, and not to get to deep and heavy perhaps it's showing us a glimpse of the true nature of things, in that time does not actually exist and everything is happening in this very moment all lives being lived in this very moment, which of course is not time it just is, perhaps the moment is forever with no beginning and no end, of course it gives me a headache just thinking about it

I think this is true, everyone is so glued to their phones or their feet that they don't look up.

Although I dispute the Exeter to Penzance route being most scenic (with the exception of the Dawlish to Teignmouth stretch). You need to go York to Edinburgh for that. But then, I can't read on trains so I probably look out of the window more than average.

If you are concentrating on your phone for example you could wander in and out of a timeslip without noticing it

But I do feel there is a little more in it than that, and not to get to deep and heavy perhaps it's showing us a glimpse of the true nature of things, in that time does not actually exist and everything is happening in this very moment all lives being lived in this very moment, which of course is not time it just is, perhaps the moment is forever with no beginning and no end, of course it gives me a headache just thinking about it

Time may be fluid, but why do so many of these experiences hinge on being able to go back to exactly the same spot in space? A shop wouldn't be in physically the same spot in the universe as it was in, say, 1955, so why would you be able to go back to exactly the same location?

How come Julie was able to timeslip from a moving railway carriage into an older, also moving, railway carriage? How does that work?

Most of these experiences make very little sense.

Time may be fluid, but why do so many of these experiences hinge on being able to go back to exactly the same spot in space? A shop wouldn't be in physically the same spot in the universe as it was in, say, 1955, so why would you be able to go back to exactly the same location?

How come Julie was able to timeslip from a moving railway carriage into an older, also moving, railway carriage? How does that work?
I suppose it comes down to being relative to the observer's spatial frame. I know what I want to say, but it's giving me a mild headache trying to push the concepts into mere words. I'll think on it some more, and maybe come back and edit this post.

As posted last year:
"I suspect timeslips and ghosts are closely related phenomena.
Ghosts don't zoom around the planet due to the rotation of the Earth.
They appear to be bound to a particular location, be it a specific building, or land that used to be a Roman Road, battlefield, murder scene etc.
Why shouldn't timeslips behave similarly?"

Who knows, but you are talking physical rather than metaphysical nothing Fortean makes any sense that's half the fun of it

What I mean is that they make little sense as "time slips". Once we would have talked about ghosts, visions, magic. It's this sense that things can be explained by recourse to some kind of as yet unproven physics that I feel dubious about.
I have huge doubts about time slips as "time slips" i.e. some kind of unproven physics, and still think of them as ghosts or visions.

He wanted to return to his own time, to the few friends he had in 2006. His parents had long disowned him, but he cherished the three good companions who formed his surrogate family."

I really dislike being cynical/sceptical, as my first instinct is to believe people; but doesn't the quote above remind us of stereotypical 'taken by the faeries' accounts of yesteryear? The passage is similarly poignant, sentimental...and, as Aydee suggests, all too suspiciously writerly.

I have huge doubts about time slips as "time slips" i.e. some kind of unproven physics, and still think of them as ghosts or visions.
I am of the other point of view, that many ghosts are actually partial timeslips we've all heard of sightings of ghosts doing mundane things like standing at the sink washing dishes or just walking about, I think we are in trouble if the afterlife involves carrying on doing household chores :) I am with you on them being a vision perhaps in some cases the vision is had by both sets, lots of strange things happen and are just shrugged off and forgotten about so if you are one day washing the dishes and turn around to see a strange person watching you, you may be involved in a time slip, I suspect they are actually very common

I am of the other point of view, that many ghosts are actually partial timeslips we've all heard of sightings of ghosts doing mundane things like standing at the sink washing dishes or just walking about, I think we are in trouble if the afterlife involves carrying on doing household chores :) I am with you on them being a vision perhaps in some cases the vision is had by both sets, lots of strange things happen and are just shrugged off and forgotten about so if you are one day washing the dishes and turn around to see a strange person watching you, you may be involved in a time slip, I suspect they are actually very common
Two of my ghost experiences indicate some level of awareness and interaction. In Warnford church, the feeling of hostility was palpable, and something invisible shouted angrily at me. Likewise, in the haunted house I lived in, while not hostility, the sense of presence was overwhelming, often driving me from my bedroom - but there were also household sounds that came from the kitchen, misplaced objects etc. These do not seem to be timeslips, and indicate some form of discarnate entity (from our point of view). I think these entities may exist in some kind of dreamlike state, not completely aware in the same way that a living person is, but sometimes able to interact.

Back