• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Time Or Dimensional Slips

Didn't the shoplifter who was chased by the security guard down the dead-end, do an interview on local radio or have I made that up?
Could you remind us of this case? Perhaps we shouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water as there may be at least one genuinely intriguing case where the witness went on the record rather than hiding behind a pseudonym (or being fictional/fictional and also hiding behind a pseudonym)

So what can we make of this are they all liars Julie, Tom (Agree) etc ?
How I see it is that Slemen has made a cottage industry out of tall tales about paranormal goings-on in and around Liverpool that may have started out with actual myths and legends. Unfortunately for us one of his favourite tropes is the time-slip. He writes a column in the local paper full of his increasingly tall tales and inevitably they enter into local folklore and find their way onto the internet. I don't actually feel Slemen believe he is a "liar" but more of a storyteller. We have already had some feedback that the good citizens of Liverpool like a chuckle over his stories but nothing more and they are not taken seriously.

The Frank Bold Street time-slip originates from his early days when he was also on a local radio show and used to have guests ringing in. It is possible that he was told of Frank's story by Frank himself (may of course be a pseudonym) or if he heard about the time-slip on the grapevine and took ownership of it. After all, Frank himself may now be deceased and Slemen may be aware of this. It is possible Slemen doesn't have Frank's details and that his claims to have met him and the female witness etc. are not true. In this scenario he still sees it as 'his story' and was put out when Danny found Julie the witness and so decided to muddy the waters rather than cooperate. There is hope here, as in "Haunted Liverpool 2' he also includes another story about a haunted computer that had previously appeared in a PC magazine, so patently not everything in that book was fictional storytelling.

tl;dr: Frank and Julie may have experienced that time-slip but we have to find a source for this before Slemen wrote about it in Haunted Liverpool 2 that was published in 1999-2001 (corrected dates)

Last edited:
How I see it is that Slemen has made a cottage industry out of tall tales about paranormal goings-on in and around Liverpool that may have started out with actual myths and legends. Unfortunately for us one of his favourite tropes is the time-slip. He writes a column in the local paper full of his increasingly tall tales and inevitably they enter into local folklore and find their way onto the internet. I don't actually feel Slemen believe he is a "liar" but more of a storyteller. We have already had some feedback that the good citizens of Liverpool like a chuckle over his stories but nothing more and they are not taken seriously.

The Frank Bold Street time-slip originates from his early days when he was also on a local radio show and used to have guests ringing in. It is possible that he was told of Frank's story by Frank himself (may of course be a pseudonym) or if he heard about the time-slip on the grapevine and took ownership of it. After all, Frank himself may now be deceased and Slemen may be aware of this. It is possible Slemen doesn't have Frank's details and that his claims to have met him and the female witness etc. are not true. In this scenario he still sees it as 'his story' and was put out when Danny found Julie the witness and so decided to muddy the waters rather than cooperate. There is hope here, as in "Haunted Liverpool 2' he also includes another story about a haunted computer that had previously appeared in a PC magazine, so patently not everything in that book was fictional storytelling.

tl;dr: Frank and Julie may have experienced that time-slip but we have to find a source for this before Slemen wrote about it in Haunted Liverpool 2 that was published in 2014
Just looked at page 1 of this thread from 2004 and the 11th post mentions Bold Street but no mention of the girl Julie but mentons Slemen ?

Do you know approximately when that would have been, please?
First appeared in his book 'Haunted Liverpool 2' which was first published in around 1999-2001:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...-programme-podcast.68873/page-46#post-2314578

(2014 edition available on Kindle). Back then he used to have a slot on BBC Radio Merseyside's 'Billy Butler Show':

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Butler_(DJ)

Unfortunately these shows do not appear to have been archived but he makes reference to it being discussed on this show in the book.

That is as much as I know but I haven't searched local newspaper records and such like

@JudSawyer

Screenshot 2024-03-02 at 19.15.34.png

Source: Haunted Liverpool 2 by Tom Slemen Content copyright © Tom Slemen. All rights reserved.

Slemen, Tom. Haunted Liverpool 2 . Unknown. Kindle Edition.

Hope this works, my internet skills are lacking. It's a post by Julie, she of the 'Uncanny' TV episode about Bold Street, on the Facebook 'Uncanny Fans' page four months ago:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/S6HTEXv3B9cUKnMJ6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/81Yo42hS8XtHL4YXA
Thanks so much...!

The mention of the station was on a Reddit post but maybe an imposter.

Well, we have a full name at least and the account doesn't sound bonkers (e.g. no dinosaurs). She doesn't mention Mr Slemen but must be aware of his claims...? Also, she doesn't mention this second experience when being interviewed by Danny

Oh, look:

"I travelled in time while out shopping – the street totally changed & I was nearly run over… it didn’t just happen to me

Julie claims she experienced subsequent time slips - the first one being nine months later, again in Liverpool, where she worked for ITV’s This Morning, then filmed at the Albert Docks.

She was heading to the Abbey National bank on North John Street in her lunch break when she found herself entering a shop adjacent, full of baby clothes.

“I remember grabbing a little grey knitted cardigan, but when I looked up there was a sign saying 2d - two pence in old money - and everyone was dressed in 1960s clothes,” she recalls

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/25119628/time-slips-bold-street/

An actual identity and seemingly non-bonkers...?

"A few years later she had another brief time slip encounter, this time on a train near Waverley Station in Edinburgh. She felt it slow down and assumed they were arriving at the station, but when she went to the door the carriage suddenly looked different.

“There had been lots of people onboard, but then there were only maybe three people, I could only see the backs of their heads, and the carriage looked older,” she says.

“I peered out the door and was shocked to see a station that was really old and everyone was dressed in early 1900s clothes.”"

Okay, two was pushing it but three...?!

Btw, our very own @Carl Grove gets a mention in that a article

Last edited:
Thanks so much...!

Well, we have a full name at least and the account doesn't sound bonkers (e.g. no dinosaurs). She doesn't mention Mr Slemen but must be aware of his claims...? Also, she doesn't mention this second experience when being interviewed by Danny

Oh, look:

I travelled in time while out shopping – the street totally changed & I was nearly run over… it didn’t just happen to me

Julie claims she experienced subsequent time slips - the first one being nine months later, again in Liverpool, where she worked for ITV’s This Morning, then filmed at the Albert Docks.

She was heading to the Abbey National bank on North John Street in her lunch break when she found herself entering a shop adjacent, full of baby clothes.

“I remember grabbing a little grey knitted cardigan, but when I looked up there was a sign saying 2d - two pence in old money - and everyone was dressed in 1960s clothes,” she recalls

"A few years later she had another brief time slip encounter, this time on a train near Waverley Station in Edinburgh. She felt it slow down and assumed they were arriving at the station, but when she went to the door the carriage suddenly looked different.

“There had been lots of people onboard, but then there were only maybe three people, I could only see the backs of their heads, and the carriage looked older,” she says.

“I peered out the door and was shocked to see a station that was really old and everyone was dressed in early 1900s clothes.”"

She wouldn’t have able to buy a child’s cardigan for 2d: Even a tabloid newspaper cost 4d in 1965:

https://www.retrowow.co.uk/social_history/60s/cost_1965.php

maximus otter

Could you remind us of this case? Perhaps we shouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water as there may be at least one genuinely intriguing case where the witness went on the record rather than hiding behind a pseudonym (or being fictional/fictional and also hiding behind a pseudonym)
I'm sure it must have been mentioned elsewhere, but in 2006 a shoplifter (Sean) was chased by a security guard down Hanover street (blue) and into a dead-end alleyway - Brookes Alley (red) and residing himself to the fact that he was going to be caught, waited for the guard to appear, but he never did.

When he slowly walked back to Hanover street, he saw things had changed; the roadworks he knew were there had gone, cars were old style, along with the way people were dressed etc.

Crossing over to Bold street (green) he saw traffic lights there where they weren't before and shrubs etc.

He saw a newspaper at a kiosk and the date said 18th May 1967.

Then things slowly came back to the present day, (he got his phone signal back), but looking further down the road, that was still in 1967.

When interviewed (by the police I think?) the security guard said that when he went down the alleyway there was no one there.

'Sean' was apparently interviewed by a 'local' paper.

Brookes Alley is at the centre of the circle that makes the Liverpool underground rail system (not verified).

(Brookes Alley doesn't appear to be a dead-end today, but I'm sure that when I looked years ago, it was).
Bold.png

I'm sure it must have been mentioned elsewhere, but in 2006 a shoplifter (Sean) was chased by a security guard down Hanover street (blue) and into a dead-end alleyway - Brookes Alley (red) and residing himself to the fact that he was going to be caught, waited for the guard to appear, but he never did.

When he slowly walked back to Hanover street, he saw things had changed; the roadworks he knew were there had gone, cars were old style, along with the way people were dressed etc.

Crossing over to Bold street (green) he saw traffic lights there where they weren't before and shrubs etc.

He saw a newspaper at a kiosk and the date said 18th May 1967.

Then things slowly came back to the present day, (he got his phone signal back), but looking further down the road, that was still in 1967.

When interviewed (by the police I think?) the security guard said that when he went down the alleyway there was no one there.

'Sean' was apparently interviewed by a 'local' paper.

Brookes Alley is at the centre of the circle that makes the Liverpool underground rail system (not verified).

(Brookes Alley doesn't appear to be a dead-end today, but I'm sure that when I looked years ago, it was).View attachment 74399
Thanks!

Will see if I can find that interview, but does have a touch of 'Goodnight Sweetheart' about it.

By
Liverpool Echo
  • 00:00, 31 MAY 2007

"In 2006, a 19-year-old named Sean – a drug user and petty criminal known to the police – was shoplifting in Liverpool city centre, when he was chased by a security guard down Hanover Street."

Full story:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/local-news/youth-slipped-in-to-1967-3511703

I don't understand the last paragraph:

"There have been many timeslip incidents reported in this area near Bold Street, and I believe there is actually a ‘crack’ in time in the vicinity.
I’ll explain my theory and document my findings regarding this matter in the near future.
l Meet Tom Slemen for a chat at the Victorian Tea Rooms, 80 Bold Street, at 2pm on Wednesday, June 6."

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/local-news/youth-slipped-in-to-1967-3511703

So the detailed article is by "Liverpool Echo" but it reads to me like it was ghost written by Slemen himself....?

Ah:

• UPDATED21:51, 8 MAY 2013
Right, so was this Slemen's regular column but when he jumped ship/was fired in 2013 they removed his name from all his columns for copyright/data privacy/royalties reasons?

To be honest it is riddled with inconsistencies. We don't have a date for Sean's actual experience but we do have an exact date for when he slipped into the future. He states he interviewed Sean "four times" so sounds like they are getting along and yet gives him the unflattering monicker of "drug user" and we don't have a single direct quote from Sean himself or how we might contact him. As per a Slemen tall tale there are lots of shop and location names but precious little other actual detail (not even the headline of the 1967 newspaper...!).

*Sigh*

It's time for Bully:

:bs:

(as ever would love to be proven wrong)

Ah:

• UPDATED21:51, 8 MAY 2013
Right, so was this Slemen's regular column but when he jumped ship/was fired in 2013 they removed his name from all his columns for copyright/data privacy/royalties reasons?

To be honest it is riddled with inconsistencies. We don't have a date for Sean's actual experience but we do have an exact date for when he slipped into the future. He states he interviewed Sean "four times" so sounds like they are getting along and yet gives him the unflattering monicker of "drug user" and we don't have a single direct quote from Sean himself or how we might contact him. As per a Slemen tall tale there are lots of shop and location names but precious little other actual detail (not even the headline of the 1967 newspaper...!).

*Sigh*

It's time for Bully:

:bs:

(as ever would love to be proven wrong)
This also struck me as an odd thing to say;

He wanted to return to his own time, to the few friends he had in 2006. His parents had long disowned him, but he cherished the three good companions who formed his surrogate family.

I don't really know anything about Slemen other than what you guys have said on here, but it does seem a bit of fantasy, unless something else turns up.

In a way the Bold Street 'timeslip' stories, and here I'd say that I've not heard any that seem particularly credible, mirror other groups of Fortean phenomena in that they rely partly on the presence of a figure who curates them - much as with many UFO flaps. Slemen no doubt not only ensures that as many of these 'experiences' are recorded as possible but also by recording them inspires other people to experience time slips of their own, eg by attaching significance to otherwise mundane events.

Thanks so much...!

Oh, look:

"I travelled in time while out shopping – the street totally changed & I was nearly run over… it didn’t just happen to me

So this Julie has a gift or she is full of house xxxx.

First appeared in his book 'Haunted Liverpool 2' which was first published in around 1999-2001:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...-programme-podcast.68873/page-46#post-2314578

(2014 edition available on Kindle). Back then he used to have a slot on BBC Radio Merseyside's 'Billy Butler Show':

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Butler_(DJ)

Unfortunately these shows do not appear to have been archived but he makes reference to it being discussed on this show in the book.

That is as much as I know but I haven't searched local newspaper records and such like

My grandmother used to listen to that show - this was many years pre-Slemen but I imagine that tales of appearing and disappearing 1950s / 60s shops would have been popular with her demographic.

Last edited:
By
Liverpool Echo
  • 00:00, 31 MAY 2007

"In 2006, a 19-year-old named Sean – a drug user and petty criminal known to the police – was shoplifting in Liverpool city centre, when he was chased by a security guard down Hanover Street."

Full story:

I don't understand the last paragraph:

"There have been many timeslip incidents reported in this area near Bold Street, and I believe there is actually a ‘crack’ in time in the vicinity.
I’ll explain my theory and document my findings regarding this matter in the near future.
l Meet Tom Slemen for a chat at the Victorian Tea Rooms, 80 Bold Street, at 2pm on Wednesday, June 6."

So the detailed article is by "Liverpool Echo" but it reads to me like it was ghost written by Slemen himself....?
I'll agree with that. There's no by-line for the author, just "Liverpool Star" and the tone of the article is less "news" and more "sensationalized account"...it doesn't read like it's reporting something, it reads like fiction. Overly flowery prose like

"It was Thursday, 18 May 1967. Sean suffered an anxiety attack and ran back to Brooks Alley. He wanted to return to his own time, to the few friends he had in 2006. His parents had long disowned him, but he cherished the three good companions who formed his surrogate family."

"Sean had no intention of unravelling this paradox, and he hurried towards Brownlow Hill to get a bus home."

I can't suspend disbelief long enough to suppose any of that actually happened. Bluh.

Last edited:
Who knows, it's best to treat the bold street cases with a large pinch of salt there are far better cases than the well known ones (that always fall apart upon closer investigation)

I'm wondering what the 'good' cases are if some of the well-known ones fall apart easily. @Paul_Exeter has I think largely disposed of the French hotel one, perhaps the best-known, by identifying the hotel in question. With some of the others, such as Nechtansmere, I'm wondering also what made them a 'time slip' rather than a traditional ghost story.

I'm wondering what the 'good' cases are if some of the well-known ones fall apart easily.
What we need is someone to enter a time slip while maintaining the presence of mind to whip out their phone and film it. Same with ghosts. The phone wouldn't transmit or receive a signal but the video camera should still function. Of course, it might not pick up the scene, in the same way that vampires do not cast a reflection (it is popularly claimed).

What we need is someone to enter a time slip while maintaining the presence of mind to whip out their phone and film it. Same with ghosts. The phone wouldn't transmit or receive a signal but the video camera should still function. Of course, it might not pick up the scene, in the same way that vampires do not cast a reflection (it is popularly claimed).
That will never happen as te Alien overlords are in charge ....think OZ Factor as that experience is witnessed in both Abductions, missing times, UFO and Time Slips.

In many ways time-slips face the same underlying issue as UFOs in this digital 21st Century as in each and every claimed experience is met with "But we all have smart phones now, where are the photos?"

Jenny Randles describes time-slips (or storms) as being "fleeting"in nature and an involving an "altered state of consciousness" and for me the most convincing witness accounts match these criteria. Therefore, no time to get evidence on your smart phone or to even think about doing so during an all-consuming turn of events.

This is why I am skeptical of prolonged time-slip claims and although there are a handful of quite convincing longer events, the actual time-slip element is a fleeting moment in the narrative and usually realised in hindsight.

Back