• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Time Or Dimensional Slips

That'll be seventy-six pages of silence.

Do you have any experience of or opinion about time-slips youself?
Sorry to have broken a near month of it then. Was rude of me -- thought everyone must be at chapel, barged right in anyway. Best count the silver plate.

Yes, I have no idea the mechanics of the psychological contortion which causes this condition; physics it ain't.

I've had four, if one pieces together the fragments and remembers to add in the acre of disonsaurs. I've loved reading here since the year dot. I've accumulated a number of such incidents -- became familiar with the concept aeons ago via mid-period FT.

What if UFOs are from the future but don't need a time machine?
They just fly through a wormhole and arrive at the other end of it many years before they entered?
As I understand wormhole theory, both ends of the wormhole need to be created at the same time. You can move the two mouths around afterwards independently of each other, so that one mouth becomes temporally displaced from the other (and this would allow reverse time travel) but only as far back as the creation of the wormhole pair.

Kip Thorne, consultant on Contact and Interstellar, describes the process in some detail here.
https://medium.com/predict/the-thorne-time-machine-eac78eec46dc

If we were somehow to overcome all these obstacles, the Thorne time machine won’t allow one to travel back farther than before it was created. That means that there will be no future selves coming back to see today.
But there may be other theories we haven't thought of yet.

Those of us of a certain age will probably remember the ITV series Timeslip in the 70s.
To mark its 50th anniversary, the original stars Cheryl Burfield and Spencer Banks are reprising their iconic roles as time-slipping teenagers Simon Randall and Liz Skinner in a series of audio adventures scheduled for release in July and August 2023.

Then and now - doesn't time fly?

View attachment 64698View attachment 64699

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/return-to-the-time-barrier
Oh I LOVED Timeslip! I remember one where they met future versions of themselves or something... Good to see the Dr Who tradition of continuing stories via audio adventure is moving across to other programmes.

Perhaps if their was some serious research into Timeslips perhaps they could build a machine to replicate them?

Although back to my pet theory (see Poltergeists) I have a feeling it's something to do with the underlying geology I seem to remember reading that areas built on a certain type of sandstone were noted for many strange happenings
Like Leylines ?

Perhaps if their was some serious research into Timeslips perhaps they could build a machine to replicate them?

Although back to my pet theory (see Poltergeists) I have a feeling it's something to do with the underlying geology I seem to remember reading that areas built on a certain type of sandstone were noted for many strange happenings
Interesting any ironstone reports?

Sorry to have broken a near month of it then. Was rude of me -- thought everyone must be at chapel, barged right in anyway. Best count the silver plate.

Yes, I have no idea the mechanics of the psychological contortion which causes this condition; physics it ain't.

I've had four, if one pieces together the fragments and remembers to add in the acre of disonsaurs. I've loved reading here since the year dot. I've accumulated a number of such incidents -- became familiar with the concept aeons ago via mid-period FT.
Care to elaborate, or are we just here to entertain you?

Care to elaborate, or are we just here to entertain you?
I never want to be rude or unpleasant to anyone and would rather be the victim than the victimiser because to me, what I think of myself matters more than what others think of me. I just don't understand the posting or what exactly it's on about and I question why anyone would post such an elusive posting without being specific about what they're on about. It raises questions for me about the poster..

edit: Also the name of the poster? Apologies if I am wrong.

Last edited:
Maybe they're a time traveller who is using a Ye Olde AI to speak to us because we're speaking their equivalent of Middle English but haven't quite got it tuned in yet.

More generally, I am wondering if we'd really notice really well trained and resourced time travellers. Maybe they're all around us.

Maybe they're a time traveller who is using a Ye Olde AI to speak to us because we're speaking their equivalent of Middle English but haven't quite got it tuned in yet.

More generally, I am wondering if we'd really notice really well trained and resourced time travellers. Maybe they're all around us.
I dunno. I reckon they'd still stand out. We can spot visitors to our region, however they try to blend in - even just the standing still and looking at things is a giveaway. And if the time travellers AREN'T standing and looking at things - why are they even bothering to time travel?

I dunno. I reckon they'd still stand out. We can spot visitors to our region, however they try to blend in - even just the standing still and looking at things is a giveaway. And if the time travellers AREN'T standing and looking at things - why are they even bothering to time travel?
I stand still and look at things in my home town! And, on occasion, have managed to blend in well in foreign climes... although that does require a couple of years living locally.

I stand still and look at things in my home town! And, on occasion, have managed to blend in well in foreign climes... although that does require a couple of years living locally.
I bet you're not looking at them with a map in your hand, though. Or exclaiming about them.

And I think it would be the things that they chose to look at that would mark them out. They wouldn't know how to handle, for example, a folding paper map (although I swear those things fight back) and other things that we take for granted.

This thread has just reminded me.

Yesterday I had to be somewhere so I took the dog out early. It was a grey mizzly day and quite chilly, and we were coming back into the village from our sortie down the bridleway. At the farm at the top of the track, someone was working on chipping mortar out of a wall that's being repointed.

And for a few seconds, as I walked along, my brain tried to tell me it was wintertime. Around Christmas, actually. It was a very strong feeling, akin to the sensation you get when a smell reminds you powerfully of something. The feeling faded for a moment and then came back. And it seemed to be linked to the chipping sound - ie, I felt it more strongly when the noise of the hammer striking the mortar was going on, but it faded when they stopped chipping.

It could have been down to the general weather conditions, but I thought it was interesting that it seemed to be caused, in some way, by the noise. Maybe vibrations?

So, not a 'real' timeslip, but a brain being fooled momentarily - but could there be a link?

They wouldn't know how to handle, for example, a folding paper map (although I swear those things fight back) and other things that we take for granted.
When, while hiking, I have come across people in the back of beyond who are lost, often because their mobile phone battery is dead or they have no signal, they are often very surprised, and sometimes amused, when I pull out a paper map to show them where they are. I never hike without one, even if I'm navigating by app.

Yesterday I had to be somewhere so I took the dog out early. It was a grey mizzly day and quite chilly, and we were coming back into the village from our sortie down the bridleway. At the farm at the top of the track, someone was working on chipping mortar out of a wall that's being repointed.

And for a few seconds, as I walked along, my brain tried to tell me it was wintertime. Around Christmas, actually. It was a very strong feeling, akin to the sensation you get when a smell reminds you powerfully of something. The feeling faded for a moment and then came back. And it seemed to be linked to the chipping sound - ie, I felt it more strongly when the noise of the hammer striking the mortar was going on, but it faded when they stopped chipping.

It could have been down to the general weather conditions, but I thought it was interesting that it seemed to be caused, in some way, by the noise. Maybe vibrations?

So, not a 'real' timeslip, but a brain being fooled momentarily - but could there be a link?
Perhaps the sound was resurrecting a deeply-buried Christmas memory?

When, while hiking, I have come across people in the back of beyond who are lost, often because their mobile phone battery is dead or they have no signal, they are often very surprised, and sometimes amused, when I pull out a paper map to show them where they are. I never hike without one, even if I'm navigating by app.
At the very least I research and screenshot my route so I have it saved if there is no mobile signal, but always paper maps if I'm out on Dartmoor or Exmoor. However, and perhaps because I grew up in the countryside, I find I have a seemingly innate sense of direction in rural and off-road areas but absolutely no idea where I am when in towns and cities.

It's funny that as yestrday it was cold and grey by the seafront but when I got into Newcastle the summer came out and it felt like September in Newcastle and October in Tynemouth.

Perhaps the sound was resurrecting a deeply-buried Christmas memory?
If it was, then the memory is buried so deeply that it's unresurrectable (it's a word, honest). And chipping mortar isn't a noted 'Christmas' activity or even a winter one. I think it's more the grey overcast and sullen sky (which we still have here today, thanks everyone who is currently basking in sunshine).

If it was, then the memory is buried so deeply that it's unresurrectable (it's a word, honest). And chipping mortar isn't a noted 'Christmas' activity or even a winter one. I think it's more the grey overcast and sullen sky (which we still have here today, thanks everyone who is currently basking in sunshine).
Perhaps it was a mixture of memories that manifest as one sensation?

Perhaps it was a mixture of memories that manifest as one sensation?
It could be. Although I have no conscious memory of anything like this (I'd hazard a guess that Christmas time is not normally the time that people choose to have mortar removed from walls, and I've never been involved with anything involving anything similar). I think it was probably more the 'greyness' of the day and the smell of the wet earth and the cold wind that made me think about winter. It was just such a strong sensation that it WAS winter, it was close to Christmas, even though I knew it's April...

It could be. Although I have no conscious memory of anything like this (I'd hazard a guess that Christmas time is not normally the time that people choose to have mortar removed from walls, and I've never been involved with anything involving anything similar). I think it was probably more the 'greyness' of the day and the smell of the wet earth and the cold wind that made me think about winter. It was just such a strong sensation that it WAS winter, it was close to Christmas, even though I knew it's April...
It has been a very cold April and freshness ( I strange as I like it ?) and reminded me of last 2 weeks in November as that was very cold and felt more like Christmas then actual Christmas.

The tap tap tap of the guy's hacking out pick subconsciously reminded you of the crackling log you put on the fire one Christmas that had some bitumen/paint on it?

Too far out there?

Therein lies the problem with modern technology - it fails, whereas a map never does. I try to explain this to the next generation but simply get the p**s taken out of me. I've lost count of the times I've asked yoofs where they have been only to be told "Don't know just followed the sat nav". ( Usually followed by "Can't read a map").

Therein lies the problem with modern technology - it fails, whereas a map never does. I try to explain this to the next generation but simply get the p**s taken out of me. I've lost count of the times I've asked yoofs where they have been only to be told "Don't know just followed the sat nav". ( Usually followed by "Can't read a map").
But then again, technology (when it works) can show you exactly where you are in relation to the map. Ordinary paper maps are up for misreading to an almost criminal degree when you can 'make' landmarks fit what you think you can see.

Currently in Wales, somewhere, wandering around, shouting for Skargy...

I read a few years ago that even the armed forces were stopping teaching map-reading as it is now deemed 'pointless'.

But then again, technology (when it works) can show you exactly where you are in relation to the map. Ordinary paper maps are up for misreading to an almost criminal degree when you can 'make' landmarks fit what you think you can see.

Currently in Wales, somewhere, wandering around, shouting for Skargy...
Don't shout too loud- Cochise might turn up. And I suspect he'd be a 'Oi, get orf my land!' type with a shotgun.

I read a few years ago that even the armed forces were stopping teaching map-reading as it is now deemed 'pointless'.
I can testify that the British Army and Royal Marines still teach paper map-reading to their recruits during training. And obviously understanding maps and charts is still a major part of learning to be come a Royal Navy navigational rating or officer, or a Royal Air Force pilot. These days in aviation and marine navigation electronic chart systems are preferred over paper ones, but the latter are still used for back-up.

Back