• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Tinnitus

I noticed that while re reading this entire thread that my tinnitus has got louder. Yet when I get wrapped up in something that I'm doing it vanishes or maybe I just forgot about it. I'm sure there's something in that but I can't quite work it out.

How can my tinnitus apparently get louder or quiter?
Mine completely vanishes when I don't think about it. I know it's there all the time, but background noise covers it up. So I only 'hear' it in moments of extreme silence (which are very rare around here!)

I thought my 'high frequency' hearing was still not too bad - I can hear noises that my slightly older friend can't. But I was out with my daughter at a local arboretum and she said 'oh, listen, there's a grasshopper!'

Could I hear it? I could not.

Is there any correlation betwix using earphones and tinnitus then?
I rarely do these days (certainly not for loud music) and mine isn't anywhere near as bad as it was.

Mind you, Mötley Crüe on full blast is bound to cause problems I should think.

I noticed that while re reading this entire thread that my tinnitus has got louder. Yet when I get wrapped up in something that I'm doing it vanishes or maybe I just forgot about it. I'm sure there's something in that but I can't quite work it out.

How can my tinnitus apparently get louder or quiter?
Yes mine is the same i can be that wrapped up in something that i forget it is there, then the minute i think about it or i come onto this thread its back again, I think i mentioned somewhere else on this board that i can sometimes hear singing, heavenly like singing like a church choir sort of, i think there is another thread like this, or was it a different topic and we mugged it? :p

I recently came down with shingles. It presented itself in my mouth, on my face and in my hair. The first sign there was something wrong was a terrific headache along with what felt like an ear ache, that wasn't.
The shingles have subsided, however I was unlucky in so much as they progressed into what is called Ramsey Hunt syndrome, a facial paralysis that affected the left side of my face from the eye down.
It has (after a course of prednisone) almost gone, although I still have some mild loss of sensitivity in the cheek and numbness & pain in the chin/lip area.
The one lingering symptom is tinnitus... a persistent high pitch whine that hasn't yet left or eased. I'm told it may or may not go.
It's dreadfully annoying.

Thanks! I'm 90% Back to normal. It's been a lousy 10 weeks. I've never felt so ill or in so much pain for such a long time.
I hope you make a full and speedy recovery, your Lordship. The high pitched whine sounds like the same thing I have - it feels very much like the noise you get when electrical equipment is switched on or a fluorescent bulb, but it's really only audible if I concentrate on it or if the background is silent, so I try never to be anywhere completely silent. I run audio books at night to help me sleep and this helps block it out too.

I recently came down with shingles. It presented itself in my mouth, on my face and in my hair. The first sign there was something wrong was a terrific headache along with what felt like an ear ache, that wasn't.
The shingles have subsided, however I was unlucky in so much as they progressed into what is called Ramsey Hunt syndrome, a facial paralysis that affected the left side of my face from the eye down.
It has (after a course of prednisone) almost gone, although I still have some mild loss of sensitivity in the cheek and numbness & pain in the chin/lip area.
The one lingering symptom is tinnitus... a persistent high pitch whine that hasn't yet left or eased. I'm told it may or may not go.

ooooh! I feel for you. Prednisone can work wonders in treating the symptoms.

Was this your first time? If you can recognise the symptoms fast for the next bout (hopefully though it's a one off) then some antivirals really can cut things short.

ooooh! I feel for you. Prednisone can work wonders in treating the symptoms.

Was this your first time? If you can recognise the symptoms fast for the next bout (hopefully though it's a one off) then some antivirals really can cut things short.
First time, yes. I was on anti virals within 48 hours.

Ive had Tinnitus for many years, it fluctuates abit but usually its there, chirping, humming and buzzing away.

I recently had a largeish tumour excised from my spine which involved an operation on my neck, since then noticably less loud tinnitus and headaches, which does make me wonder if sometimes there are physical causes involved.

Currently its just a faint buzzing, getting worse if Im tired or drink too much alcohol.

I found that not listening to Mötley Crüe full blast with earplugs greatly improved mine.
In fact, apart from the very occasional youtube, I don't use earplugs at all for a long time now.

I do still get it quite bad sometimes though.

Im on simvastatin and mine hasnt changed
Altho blasting music out does tend to make it go away, until you take the headphones off
I keep coming on here and it just makes me notice it more lol

Mine is permanent and at the same level and pitch, but I only notice it when life is very quiet. So I make sure to keep some degree of background noise going at all times, and it doesn't bother me. It's one of the reasons I think I wake up when my audio books finish - the sudden silence (I live in a VERY quiet place), because I'm not used to it.

Mine is permanent and at the same level and pitch, but I only notice it when life is very quiet. So I make sure to keep some degree of background noise going at all times, and it doesn't bother me. It's one of the reasons I think I wake up when my audio books finish - the sudden silence (I live in a VERY quiet place), because I'm not used to it.
Presumably, our brains have a working pitch which is sometimes louder than other times?

I can hear and feel my heart beat. Is that normal? I mean, when I'm resting, not when I'm doing something very active.
Apparently, it's pretty common, and it's known as 'Pulsatile tinnitus.' Nothing to worry about - but it would be sensible to get yourself checked out, (quite literally ~ be heart-wise).

I can hear and feel my heart beat. Is that normal? I mean, when I'm resting, not when I'm doing something very active.
I sometimes get a 'whooshing' sound in my head when I'm half asleep. I'm not sure if this relates to tinnitus though or is a symptom of some other (no doubt lethal) medical issue.

I sometimes get a 'whooshing' sound in my head when I'm half asleep. I'm not sure if this relates to tinnitus though or is a symptom of some other (no doubt lethal) medical issue.
I am not a Doctor - but would suggest it would be worth getting yourself checked out, as above. . . (quite literally ~ be heart-wise).

Apparently, it's pretty common, and it's known as 'Pulsatile tinnitus.' Nothing to worry about - but it would be sensible to get yourself checked out, (quite literally ~ be heart-wise).
Sorry, my comment was a response to @Frideswide talking about people being aware of their bodily functions. My hearing my heartbeat isn't part of my tinnitus, it's a general awareness of being able to hear (or feel) my heart beating.

I was glad to read you're feeling a bit better!

I've had the ultra-high pitch whines for all my life, more or less - I was once informed that it's the auditory bits of the brain picking up and interpreting nerve activity as a not-quite sound. I don't really notice it as such now, it's just there.

I also had about a decade and a half of a repeated ear infection on my R side, twice ending up in the hospital with IV antibiotics and a very oddly shaped head due to the middle ear swelling, so am now predisposed to tinnitus.

I had an odd but quite cute tinnitus flare just a few weeks ago - I could hear the tinkliest sweet little 'fairy bell' ting... ting... ting!

I was glad to read you're feeling a bit better!

I've had the ultra-high pitch whines for all my life, more or less - I was once informed that it's the auditory bits of the brain picking up and interpreting nerve activity as a not-quite sound. I don't really notice it as such now, it's just there.

I also had about a decade and a half of a repeated ear infection on my R side, twice ending up in the hospital with IV antibiotics and a very oddly shaped head due to the middle ear swelling, so am now predisposed to tinnitus.

I had an odd but quite cute tinnitus flare just a few weeks ago - I could hear the tinkliest sweet little 'fairy bell' ting... ting... ting!
I've got the ultra high pitch noise and sometimes it sound like there's two of them. Plus from time to time I get that little ting.. ting.. ting.

What I hate about the tinnitus I've got is watching a film is almost impossible as I can't make out what's being said a lot of the time especially if the actors suddenly speak quietly or quickly.

I've got the ultra high pitch noise and sometimes it sound like there's two of them. Plus from time to time I get that little ting.. ting.. ting.

What I hate about the tinnitus I've got is watching a film is almost impossible as I can't make out what's being said a lot of the time especially if the actors suddenly speak quietly or quickly.
It's the voices telling me to kill that worries me.

Back