• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
The Bedsitting Room - surrealist post-apocalypse comedy is on tonight 9pm Talking Pictures channel. Possibly on catch up after.
Saw that years ago. One of the most surreal films ever made.

Saw that years ago. One of the most surreal films ever made.
I’d not seen the whole thing before & now I have, I don’t need to see it again. It’s meandering to say the least but has some good moments & features quite a few of the more left-field comedic characters of the time plus a few ‘proper’ actors. Set almost entirely in quarries/dumps/filth.

Ralph Richardson mutates into the bed sitting room, Arthur Lowe into a parrot, & his wife into a wardrobe. Then it ends on a slightly more positive note.

Set almost entirely in quarries/dumps/filth.
Filmed mostly in Weldon, Northamptonshire.
Also 'Staffordshire Potteries', Chobham Common, and Chesil Beach.
So you're not far off.

I find there's too much of Spike's abyss-deep despair in The Bed-Sitting Room for it to be all that funny.

I find there's too much of Spike's abyss-deep despair in The Bed-Sitting Room for it to be all that funny.
Yeah it’s not that funny but there’s some black comedic moments like the woman living in Leytonstone High St, Mrs Ethel something who’s closest in line to the throne so who features in the National Anthem, the choosing of Prime Minister by inside leg measurement, & the wife who’s persuaded she’s dead when an official [Peter Cook] turns up with a death certificate.

Yeah it’s not that funny but there’s some black comedic moments like the woman living in Leytonstone High St, Mrs Ethel something who’s closest in line to the throne so who features in the National Anthem, the choosing of Prime Minister by inside leg measurement, & the wife who’s persuaded she’s dead when an official [Peter Cook] turns up with a death certificate.

Of course, the real aficionados saw the stage performances, which were apparently amazing, but like a lot of these 60s happenings are lost to oblivion because nobody recorded them.

I enjoyed this -

Hidden Wales with Will Millard

On iplayer. History & landscape. Yesterday’s episode featured a fantastic cave halfway up a cliff face only accessible by abseiling -very few people have been in it since prehistoric times, a disused & now derelict but still standing cast iron lighthouse accessible on foot for about 90 minutes at low tide, remains of a WW1 munitions factory, now a park. Most of the workers were young women but conditions were hazardous - cordite turned their hair green & caused epileptic fits. Remains of wrecked ships protruding from a beach. Several other empty/derelict buildings - stately homes & mental hospitals. Also a Cold War nuclear bunker under a car park.

I enjoyed this -

Hidden Wales with Will Millard

On iplayer. History & landscape. Yesterday’s episode featured a fantastic cave halfway up a cliff face only accessible by abseiling -very few people have been in it since prehistoric times, a disused & now derelict but still standing cast iron lighthouse accessible on foot for about 90 minutes at low tide, remains of a WW1 munitions factory, now a park. Most of the workers were young women but conditions were hazardous - cordite turned their hair green & caused epileptic fits. Remains of wrecked ships protruding from a beach. Several other empty/derelict buildings - stately homes & mental hospitals. Also a Cold War nuclear bunker under a car park.

Really interesting episode, glad I watched it. Shown just after the dark crime drama Hidden which is set in Wales.

Would you recommend this - is it any good?

It's really good, bleak valleys woods, dark deeds, mysterious mountains. Touches on some of the same ground as Hinterland in the way it deals with crime in close knit communities in rural Wales, in this case North Wales. Season 1 has a touch of folk Horror about it. A Welsh language series with a bilingual version showing on BBC4 and the BBC iPlayer. Welsh Noir. 9/10.

The last series of Wellington Paranormal is coming.

‘On 1st April, Season 4 of Wellington
Paranormal drops on HBO in Croatia,
Hungary, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal,
Romania, Scandinavia, Spain and Eastern
Europe. Woah!
UK you have to wait a few more days, when it
drops 5th April on SKY. Consider it
punishment for all the coloniser ghosts the
Wellington Paranormal Unit has to deal with.’View attachment 53688

Just watched series 4 episode 2 - The Wicked Man.

Absolutely brilliant and the funniest thing I've seen for ages!
Loads of laugh-out-loud moments and a clever parody of ... well I'm sure you can guess.

Anyone who can get Sky Max there’s The Rising. We’ve just watched the first episode and it seems rather promising.

‘The Rising is the story of Neve Kelly (Clara Rugaard), who discovers that she is dead. She's scared and confused by this new existence. But, when she realises she has been murdered, she’s furious. She’s determined to find her killer and get justice, believing that it was someone she knew.’
https://www.sky.com/watch/the-rising

Anyone who can get Sky Max there’s The Rising. We’ve just watched the first episode and it seems rather promising.

‘The Rising is the story of Neve Kelly (Clara Rugaard), who discovers that she is dead. She's scared and confused by this new existence. But, when she realises she has been murdered, she’s furious. She’s determined to find her killer and get justice, believing that it was someone she knew.’

I've watch 2 episodes and I like it so far.

Thought so. It's an adaptation of the excellent Flemish language Belgian series Hotel Beau Séjour. The Belgians are doing some really good TV drama just now.

I'd be interested to see if this version manages to apply the same rigour. The creators of the original obviously had a very clear vision and very strict set of rules as to how they were going to make it work, and really stuck to them. Also, they had a pretty refreshing attitude to the whole supernatural element - I found it totally absorbing, but those who desire and expect the standard tropes and motifs of the genre might well be disappointed.

Although I'm not sure it would, I won't say more for fear of giving things away - but give Hotel Beau Séjour a go if you have the opportunity, I suspect it will be significantly different to the adaptation.

On Monday I watched the antidote to all the paranormal TV programmes where people do terrible science and don't find anything one way or the other. It is called Legends of the Deep with Fabien and Celine Cousteau* on Blaze, Monday at 10pm. They were trying to find some of the vanished ships or aircraft in the Bermuda Triangle (which is what got my attention). They started by asking people where they thought they had noticed wreckage, went out and scanned the likely areas with various equipment and finally dived to look at the object that they had identified as a possible wreck. In daylight and everything. Great stuff. Unfortunately, it seems to only be on sporadically and I can't see another episode coming up but other episode titles are to do with sunken UFO, sea monsters and spy sabotage. A few episodes are available online though.

https://watch.blaze.tv/series/Legends+of+the+Deep

*Yes. Grandchildren.

I was told about the Gail Porter series when I talked to one of the curators of Culross Palace a few weeks back. She said lots of weird stuff is still happening.
I gather from news reports that the series also visited Brodick castle. I also had a chat with one of the ladies in charge but she didn't mention the series' visit.

From what I've learned, I'll give it a miss.

Edit: I've just seen from the episode listing that Brodick was episode 1.

Looking at the Spooked Scotland list, I see two other places that I tried to contact for my survey but was ignored: Dundee's Verdant Mill and the Tron Theatre. But I dont have the clout of a TV series and a fat pay cheque. The Tron Theatre really pissed me off. I emailed them late last year and they alluded vaguely to spooky stories and said they'd be in touch after Christmas. They didn't. I sent a gentle reminder a few weeks later and this time got no reply.
As I said, money talks. A small independent researcher doesn't.

Looking at the Spooked Scotland list, I see two other places that I tried to contact for my survey but was ignored: Dundee's Verdant Mill and the Tron Theatre. But I dont have the clout of a TV series and a fat pay cheque. The Tron Theatre really pissed me off. I emailed them late last year and they alluded vaguely to spooky stories and said they'd be in touch after Christmas. They didn't. I sent a gentle reminder a few weeks later and this time got no reply.
As I said, money talks. A small independent researcher doesn't.
Have you considered creating a fake email address along the lines of "ElstreeFilmProductions.co.uk" and emailing these places, advising them of the intention to create a high budget series or films and that you would pay them handsomely for their involvement............."but first we just need to send our researcher to make an assessment"....?

I really don't want to hi-jack this thread but the amount of fleecing done by commercial ghost hunting groups is ridiculous.
There's a museum near here that charges £200 from 4pm-11.30pm and can accommodate 30+ people. Using this number, that's £6.67 a head, which is not too bad (and I know the place needs the money).
I've just seen the venue listed on a ghost hunting site for a whopping £35 a head!

I posted about this in the Uncanny thread last week but just in case, a reminder that the Uncanny summer special episode will be available tonight at 6pm (BBC Sounds).

Apparently the second series is currently in production too, woo hoo! :nods:

Back