• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
The Fire Within - Requiem for Katia & Maurice Krafft - on iplayer.

Any Werner Herzog film is worth watching in my book & this doesn’t disappoint. Film using footage from their archive.

Husband & wife French volcanologists & film makers, eventually killed by pyroclastic flow in Japan 1991. The massive eruption was filmed & shown at the end.

They start as scientists then gradually change over the years more towards film making.

Dramatic volcano, pyroclastic flow, aftermath of eruption footage etc. Some stunning images. With Herzog’s eloquence & fatalism. They died doing what they loved & were obsessed with.

Soundtrack is good too.

Tonight's episode of "The Outer Limits" is "I, Robot" - this is the one in which a robot is charged with killing it's creator, and was remade into the film of the same title with Will Smith in.

The Outer Limits story is based on the slightly earlier 1939 "I, Robot" short story by Eando Binder.
Asimov's book, collecting his 1940-1950 short stories borrowed the title confusingly. The 2004 film is loosely based on Asimov.

Lots of stuff on Blaze from 8pm this week
Thurs 27th 9pm British Bigfoot
Fri 28th 9pm Britain's Big Cats
to name but 2.

Series 3 of Married has just started on radio 4 ex catch up on bbc sounds

I admit my attention was caught by the trailer.
Which is it's function, I suppose, but it's less a showcase of 'the best bits' - so common lately - but really effectual teasers.

I started watching it on your recommendation, but struggled to get through the first episode, which I found way too arty-farty for my tastes.
I found the mum utterly unconvincing.
Does it buck up a bit in later episodes?

Last edited:
At 7.20pm this evening (Sunday) in the UK, on BBC 4, they will broadcast an episode of 'Crackerjack' from 1979.
Presented by Ed Stewart (stewpot), with Peter Glaze, Jan Hunt, Bernie Clifton and Val Mitchell, with music by The Ramblers and Sparks.
(BBC 4 are showing some regular 'Memorable TV' episodes currently)
1668944086096.png
1668944352451.png
1668944406070.png
1668944545191.png

BBC 4 are still showing some regular 'Memorable TV' episodes.
Today they are treating us to a 1982 episode of 'Rentaghost', followed by a 1976 episode of 'Vision On'.
Starts just after 7pm tonight.

Not film or tv but theatre. If anyone is able to get to London (train strikes allowing).

https://parktheatre.co.uk/whats-on/wickies-the-vanishing-men-of-eilean-mor

On 26th December 1900, a small ship was making its way to the Flannan Islands in the remote Outer Hebrides. Its destination, the lighthouse at Eilean Mor; a remote island which - apart from its lighthouse keepers - was completely uninhabited. When the ship arrived on the island, the lighthouse was unlocked and two of three oil skinned coats belonging to the men were missing. The fire was out, there was half eaten food on the table, the chairs were overturned, and the clock had stopped. More importantly, the light was out. The three men had vanished.

Starring Ewan Stewart (Titanic), Graeme Dalling (Let the Right One In), and Jamie Quinn (Two Doors Down), Wickies is inspired by the true story of James Ducat, Thomas Marshall and Donald MacArthur.

A supernatural thriller that seeks to unravel the enduring mystery of the Vanishing Men of Eilean Mor.

Not film or tv but theatre. If anyone is able to get to London (train strikes allowing).

https://parktheatre.co.uk/whats-on/wickies-the-vanishing-men-of-eilean-mor

On 26th December 1900, a small ship was making its way to the Flannan Islands in the remote Outer Hebrides. Its destination, the lighthouse at Eilean Mor; a remote island which - apart from its lighthouse keepers - was completely uninhabited. When the ship arrived on the island, the lighthouse was unlocked and two of three oil skinned coats belonging to the men were missing. The fire was out, there was half eaten food on the table, the chairs were overturned, and the clock had stopped. More importantly, the light was out. The three men had vanished.

Starring Ewan Stewart (Titanic), Graeme Dalling (Let the Right One In), and Jamie Quinn (Two Doors Down), Wickies is inspired by the true story of James Ducat, Thomas Marshall and Donald MacArthur.

A supernatural thriller that seeks to unravel the enduring mystery of the Vanishing Men of Eilean Mor.
Mind you the only time I’ve been there I had a seat in the eaves with a bar to put my feet on and they had hinted a paranormal element but it was just someone escaped from an institution.

Talking Pictures has an Australian horror movie this Friday. I remember seeing it a long, long time ago and found it very unsettling and eerie.

Fri 09 Dec23:30Long Weekend1978. Horror. Directed by Colin Eggleston. Stars Briony Behets, John Hargreaves & Mike McEwen. A couple go on holiday for the weekend to a remote beach, unaware of the dangers of Mother Nature.

Masked & Anonymous

Here’s a curio - film from 2004 written by & starring Bob Dylan on iplayer. Set in near future USA under corrupt political dictatorship with revolution going on. Everything is going to shit.

He plays a washed-up musician/singer whose best days were in the past, released from prison to play somewhat reluctantly a benefit concert for the regime organised by sleazy promoters.

Features quite a cast with some great performances by:

John Goodman
Jessica Lange
Jeff Bridges
Penelope Cruz
Bruce Dern
Val Kilmer
& others

He wears pretty much the same expression throughout & is laconic & emotionless to say the least, with ambiguous plot & oblique dialogue. Some songs you won’t have heard & different version of others. His band is great.

Warning - only watch if you’re a hardcore Bob fan, otherwise you will hate it. He's something of an enigma & it certainly won’t be for everyone.

Has anyone seen any upcoming TV listings for classic Christmas ghost stories? (of the MR James variety, not 'A Christmas Carol'). There's usually a fair few on but I've not managed to find many yet.

Has anyone seen any upcoming TV listings for classic Christmas ghost stories? (of the MR James variety, not 'A Christmas Carol'). There's usually a fair few on but I've not managed to find many yet.
I think Mark Gatiss is supposed to have something. He’s usually good for a spooky tale.

Back