• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Uncon 2004 quick summary thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Re: A question of pub

chanubi said:
Not too excitingly fortean, but the Jolly Gardeners (on Coburg St, about a minute's walk from Euston station) had a ghost at one time (had a friend working there in early 2000, which was how I heard about it). That's all I can think of at the moment though (sad, since I used to know that area like the back of my hand :()
Now I'm jealous of you all. :sob:

Might that be the same jolly gardener's frequented by quite fortean author Robert Ranken on occasion?

Do you remember if it serves food (even crisps)? the Scaresdale last year, although a good pub only sold peanuts wich led to some very hungry unconifians by the end of the night.

lutzman said:
I think that some people will be pleased to know that the original, the one and only, yes, Essex babe herself, may be doing her belly dance at Uncon 2004 after all.
Wahey!

I mean, I'm glad Lillith is going to make it to UnCon.

Re: Re: Re: A question of pub

Lord_Flashheart said:
Might that be the same jolly gardener's frequented by quite fortean author Robert Ranken on occasion?

Do you remember if it serves food (even crisps)? the Scaresdale last year, although a good pub only sold peanuts wich led to some very hungry unconifians by the end of the night.

Don't know about Ranken, but they do serve food, though I couldn't give any assurances on quality (and it was four years since I've been there :D) There's not much seating either, as I recall...

I'm glad Lillith is going to make it to UnCon.
Wagh! :sob:

The only thing I've left to do is take the Friday and Monday off (since I'm arriving at 11AM or so in some London airport on the Friday, and leaving again at 7PM or so on the Monday, to give me extra "hanging around London" time). It's all rather scary :eek!!!!:

I suppose I better go and hand in the "Annual Leave Request Form" then :p

Colin said:
The only thing I've left to do is take the Friday and Monday off (since I'm arriving at 11AM or so in some London airport on the Friday, and leaving again at 7PM or so on the Monday, to give me extra "hanging around London" time). It's all rather scary :eek!!!!:

I suppose I better go and hand in the "Annual Leave Request Form" then :p

Londons a safe enough place as long as you follow a few simple rules:

1.) Anyone who asks for "A moment of your time" regardless of race, gender or age, wants to rob you so don't engage them in conversation

2.) An invitation to " A good shoeing" is not going to turn out to be directions to the nearest cobblers

3.) Asking the question "Are you mad?" is always going to be rhetorical, so don't bother with it

4.) An empty seat on a crowded tube is empty for a reason, so unless you want to be sticky, smelly, or chatting with a loon, leave it well alone.

5.) Practice stopping the change rattling in your pocket using muscle control and willpower, before venturing onto the streets of our wonderful capital

Apart from that, enjoy :D

Ah, it's not that ;) My ex-girlfriend is from Essex, so when she was my girlfriend I was down visiting a few times and we went to London on various occasions. It seemed fine except it was too warm and the public transport was impossible to understand (she seemed to know how to use it only from experience). It was pretty busy too, but I don't mind that. I'm more just nervous about the whole Uncon thing, things like that always worry me ;) I had to take my mum along when I first went to the Edinburgh Fortean Society as I was too nervous about going myself, although I'm not so bad about such things now :p

As a semi-relevant aside, I already booked a room at the "California Hotel", but my ex-girlfriend actually suggested I stay at the flat she recently moved into with her present boyfriend. I can't help but think that'd have been a bit odd ;)

Oh, and my change doesn't jangle around anyway, I don't keep loose money in my pockets, that'd be far too inconvenient having to rummage around all my change whenever I changed my trousers or such ;)

Swan said:
Londons a safe enough place as long as you follow a few simple rules:

1.) Anyone who asks for "A moment of your time" regardless of race, gender or age, wants to rob you so don't engage them in conversation

2.) An invitation to " A good shoeing" is not going to turn out to be directions to the nearest cobblers

3.) Asking the question "Are you mad?" is always going to be rhetorical, so don't bother with it

4.) An empty seat on a crowded tube is empty for a reason, so unless you want to be sticky, smelly, or chatting with a loon, leave it well alone.

5.) Practice stopping the change rattling in your pocket using muscle control and willpower, before venturing onto the streets of our wonderful capital

Apart from that, enjoy :D

6.) Try to, as quickly as possible after arrival, remove the 'hayseed-in-the-big-city' look off of my face that advertises "I'm an American tourist from Kansas who's never been in London before: please take advantage of me."

:eek!!!!:

Hurrah for Lillith coming to Uncon! I was wondering, but I thought that she might go incognito- blonde wig and shades, to shake us off!

lopaka said:
6.) Try to, as quickly as possible after arrival, remove the 'hayseed-in-the-big-city' look off of my face that advertises "I'm an American tourist from Kansas who's never been in London before: please take advantage of me."

:eek!!!!:

No I believe you are legally required as an American citizen, to wear loud tartan shorts and a polo shirt, and no need to worry about muggers as (for your convenience) one will already have been allocated to you at your port of entry. In order to make contact with your mugger, simply say the key words "Hey buddy, I'm a stranger to this little town, plenty of cash and nothing to do, would you mind... etc" in as loud and nasal voice as possible

:D

No really, it's fine here, I'm only joking with you

Lopaka, what he's not telling you is that he's your allocated mugger. See anyone with a blue face, dripping blood, then hold onto your wallet. Of course it could just be chuck out time at the clubs on a cold night........:D

Cider said:
Lopaka, what he's not telling you is that he's your allocated mugger. See anyone with a blue face, dripping blood, then hold onto your wallet. Of course it could just be chuck out time at the clubs on a cold night........:D

Hmm...Halowe'en weekend with UnCon going on, immediately before the US elections. My concern is more being able to differentiate the malevolent blue-faced, blood-dripping demons from the rest. ;)

btw, I phoned the Dennis Direct # this morning and ordered my ticket. After all the British Post Office horror stories on here of late I sure hope it arrives in time. :)

More importantly, have you got your plane tickets yet?

Will purchase this afternoon! :yeay:

So...who wants stuff from America?

(Plausible, mind you. I WILL not be allowed through customs with any particular US political leader's head on a pike) :eek: :blah:

lopaka said:
(Plausible, mind you. I WILL not be allowed through customs with any particular US political leader's head on a pike) :eek: :blah:
Akh! You're no fun anymore! :D

I finally managed to book the Royal National, cancel the other, shite hotel, and get my Uncon tickets. What have I forgotten? :confused:

anome said:
What are you two whining about? I had to call in the middle of the night, all the way from Australia, and try and explain why their demographic survey didn't apply to me.

So, do you like to do things the hard way? I called during normal business hours in the US, obviously the deepest night in the UK, and left a message. They never called back so obviously they had no questions, and voila, tickets in my mail box- pronto. Never had to talk to anyone, or try to sort out demographics surveys, nothin'.

BTW, Beak, what was the shite hotel?

Fallen Angel said:
BTW, Beak, what was the shite hotel?
The Montana Excel. It was probably very nice, but the bozo I spoke to about changing the dates didn't change them. Which makes me not trust them. And a few others are staying at the Royal as well, so I'll be able to interfere more succesfully in their private lives ;)

beakboo said:
And a few others are staying at the Royal as well, so I'll be able to interfere more succesfully in their private lives ;)
Wonders if maybe he can change his booking...

Seriously, I think I need someone to interfere in my personal life. I'm not doing so well with it on my own.

Well, just booked tickets,(if they understand my order), and have booked in at the Royal National,(if they have room left, may not know for two days !), so, ummm, hope to see you all there.

I got my tickets today in the post, at least i think it's a ticket it looks like a big huge block of cardbord with a sticker that says 'weekend' on it... I spen't most of the morning trying to find out if it opened up and there was a sensible credit card sised ticket encapsulated in it that would acttually fit in a wallet or pocket. what posessed them?

hope they swap it for an arm band at the entrance even if it is a hideous dayglo colour. :(

My order was aparently picked and packed by Derrick, maybe thats the name of the bloke with the audible cardigan.

Bullseye said:
Well, just booked tickets,(if they understand my order), and have booked in at the Royal National,(if they have room left, may not know for two days !), so, ummm, hope to see you all there.
Don't worry, I phoned the hotel, and she laughed when I asked if they were full. Hahaha she said!
Another person I can interfere with :p

I'm looking forward to being able to stalk loads of people too.

Ha ha. :eek:

I'm excited too, TVQ!

My passport arrived yesterday. :( Hideous picture. Truly hideous.

This would be on the whinge thread but I'm too happy about coming to London, I don't even care about the picture!

Fallen Angel said:
I'm excited too, TVQ!

My passport arrived yesterday. :( Hideous picture. Truly hideous.

This would be on the whinge thread but I'm too happy about coming to London, I don't even care about the picture!

Well, my portrait on said document looks rather corpse-in-the-process-of-becoming-a-zombie . (I suspect they all do, more or less.) Maybe you, anome & myself can have an "ugly passport photo' contest. :eek:

But, like you, far too excited to care much, as long as it's a valid passport that lets me in and out. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back