• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
That's how volcanic islands work. Probably should know that before living on one.
You know very well the reasons people choose to live in volcanic areas. You're a geologist. Also, people turn a blind eye to seemingly infrequent risk. We don't have to get away with something for very long before living as though we'll always get away with it. Even when not getting away with it eventually is inevitable.

You know very well the reasons people choose to live in volcanic areas. You're a geologist. Also, people turn a blind eye to seemingly infrequent risk. We don't have to get away with something for very long before living as though we'll always get away with it. Even when not getting away with it eventually is inevitable.

Things tie you to places, community, family, maybe you can't afford to move? Maybe the money, (volcanic islands are often holiday hotspots), is too good to turn down/better than what you'd get elsewhere? Do we criticize tourists for visiting these places?

It's the sneering, "people are idiots" attitude that people from privileged backgrounds have the luxury to make that pisses me off.

Also, are people who live within the ring of fire idiots? Earthquakes are often more likely than volcanos and just as deadly but millions of people live there.

Live dangerously! Build your cities on the slopes of Vesuvius! - Friedrich Nietzsche.

Inhabitants of volcanic islands might have lived there for decades without issue, but sometimes they don't get a choice when things go tits up.
Just look at Montserrat for example. The southern part of the island has been turned into an exclusion zone after the continuous eruption which began in 1995 turned the place into an inhospitable lava field causing the majority of the population to flee.

Found this from a few years ago.
Residents of the Us areas along the Eastern coasts would get about 8 hours notice if the side of the island slides into the sea.
Sounds like a long time, but in reality 8 hours would be nowhere near enough time to evacuate everyone.

Things tie you to places, community, family, maybe you can't afford to move? Maybe the money, (volcanic islands are often holiday hotspots), is too good to turn down/better than what you'd get elsewhere? Do we criticize tourists for visiting these places?

It's the sneering, "people are idiots" attitude that people from privileged backgrounds have the luxury to make that pisses me off.

Also, are people who live within the ring of fire idiots? Earthquakes are often more likely than volcanos and just as deadly but millions of people live there.
The same could be said of the millions of Americans who live in 'Tornado Alley', the native peoples knew not to live there during the times of year tornados are more likely to happen, a native American I knew told me his ancestors thought the Americans were crazy for building towns and cities there.

Live dangerously! Build your cities on the slopes of Vesuvius! - Friedrich Nietzsche.
There's been quite a few eruptions since the 79AD one, the last one was in 1944, but none on the same scale. If there's ever another explosive eruption on the scale of 79AD, it could be "Goodbye Naples". It'll give archaeologists of the 40th century something big to excavate.

Still going strong.
And proper loud today, must be a second wind!

Canary Islands: Airport closed as volcano intensifies

"Clouds of thick ash have made flights out of the airport impossible, authorities said on Saturday.
The volcano is entering a fresh explosive phase, spewing lava from a newly opened vent, officials say.
Airport operators say ash accumulation has made the airport "inoperative", but that a clean-up operation is underway. Workers are sweeping volcanic ash from the runway."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-58683718

I did not say DON'T live there. I'm saying it's a risk to your lovely home and swimming pool as shown in the previous post. It's like living in a floodplain, near Kilauea, or in San Francisco or Los Angeles. People know the risk that their homes can be entirely eliminated and perhaps the land rendered unusable. I noticed in places like Southern California, people will put their homes upon what appears to me to be ridiculously hazardous land. But they sacrifice relative permanence for the beauty and lifestyle.

The Canary Islands volcano has (according to the people studying it) entered a new, more active phase, with the eruption rate increasing.

This feed by afarTV has a picture-in-picture (top RH corner) which scrolls through the various 3d models, other camera feeds, seismic trace etc etc etc.

The Canary Islands volcano has (according to the people studying it) entered a new, more active phase, with the eruption rate increasing.

This feed by afarTV has a picture-in-picture (top RH corner) which scrolls through the various 3d models, other camera feeds, seismic trace etc etc etc.

Earlier on in that video, it says '496 homes destroyed'. Later in the video, it says '494 homes destroyed'.

Wow - the volcano reconstructed a couple of houses? Incredible. So much power in nature.
(I'm guessing some sort of miscount?)

The lava flow increased significantly last night and the final distance to reach the sea was covered in short order.
Lava is now running into the sea and an exclusion area has been set-up due to the clouds of gas being produced by the interaction with the sea water, plus the possibility of explosive interactions.
The main crater and side vent also merged overnight.
Eruptions (explosive) continue today.

Yes, I am a firm belief there is such thing as too close...

But maybe, stand behind a reasonably sensibly Volcanologist?
This one?

GVP-02489.jpg

Probably not like these Icelanders though.
"Lava ate the pan...."

This live stream has the combined output from (currently) 4 different other streams.

Blimey. Really going for it tonight!

Yes the wind changes direction and blows poisonous gasses back onshore.

Well, I think I might like to be somewhere in the general area so that I could witness it 'first-hand', but I'm pretty certain that I don't want to be too close to it.
Doesn't seem to bother King Ghiddorah...

emerging-volcano.gif

Day 16 and it's still going strong.
The formation of new real estate on the shore continues.
It seems to have entered a phase of spewing out very black 'ejecta' along with the fiery lava and rocks.

Back