• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird IHTM Tales From Reddit & Other Sites

The poster has added this, in answer to someone who asked if her mum remembered it. I'm guessing really early in the morning if it was still dark and everyone was still in bed (A levels are usually May and June aren't they?)

"She remembered it. My dad was out there too and he would mention it now and again but they seemed to be happy enough to accept it was a police helicopter as did the rest of our neighbours.

They are long gone so I can’t ask but it does sometimes play on my mind, especially in light of the released videos last year from The Pentagon. At that time police helicopters were not common so I suppose they did not have a reference point to compare.

When I said it covered half the street, it was easily longer than 10 semi-detached houses. It was spinning on a horizontal axis. The light had woken the street up - it was incredibly bright but not blinding. I was honestly petrified and still cannot believe they were all standing watching it for so long while I hunkered down in my bedroom ready for Armageddon
grin
. My mum said it just disappeared … just like that.

In hindsight, I wish I had stayed out longer."
Thanks ;)

Two things come to mind:

1) Is it possible it was light from the ground being reflected by low-lying cloud? For example a helicopter on the ground with its rotors spinning and being illuminated by a bright light? Forum member and UFO investigator Jenny Randles has been able to explain some UFO sightings as being caused by this effect
2) It seems unusual that the Police would go door-to-door explaining the supposed cause of this event when they could simply talk to the local press instead. Is it possible your parents created the fictional Police visit to reassure her? As she states, she were petrified by the incident.

From the ghosts thread on the Mumsnet site:
We’ve had a few weird things happen here. The house is around 25 years old so not your usual “Victorian haunted house” but someone did die here and the owner was so desperate to sell it we got £10k knocked off the price!
. . .
Things that have happened …
Light switch flipped on by itself (I actually saw the switch flip).
o_O

Things that have happened …
Light switch flipped on by itself (I actually saw the switch flip).

I’ve seen this happen, but with no supernatural involvement: If a switch is incompletely “flipped”, it can teeter or balance between its two detents until something induces it to go one way or another.

Odd, but not otherworldly.

maximus otter

I've wondered if people feel a presence of evil when some unexamined feeling starts welling up, maybe when they're in a situation that facilitates greater self awareness than usual, as when their surroundings are especially calm, or unfamiliar somehow, and they misidentify those feelings. They're not familiar with what it's like to be aware of those feelings, so are afraid to connect with them. I don't mean suppressed anger or a similar "negative" feeling projected onto others. Just something that might be completely innocuous, but which they're not usually aware of in themselves, so it feels strange to them, and therefore dangerous. I had a vivid experience of this one night years ago when eating dinner alone late at night. The house was still, everyone else in bed asleep, and I started to feel a creeping menace prowling around me like a panther or something. When I relaxed, and accepted it, it no longer felt menacing, but as friendly and warm as any house cat.

Kind of hard to explain.

I’ve seen this happen, but with no supernatural involvement: If a switch is incompletely “flipped”, it can teeter or balance between its two detents until something induces it to go one way or another.

Odd, but not otherworldly.

maximus otter
That’s quite interesting Max. Not long after we moved into this house, I came home from work one evening and Mrs DT asked if she could talk to me away from the kids. She said that she was in the house alone and was sitting on the bed pairing up freshly laundered socks, when the bedroom light switched itself on all of its own accord. She told me she even heard the click of the light switch.

Understandably this freaked her out, so she fled the house and spent the rest of the afternoon sitting in a local café drinking endless cups of tea, until it was time to pick the kids up from school.

I’ve seen this happen a few times in my life and you’re right, there Is nothing supernatural in this whatsoever.

That's exactly what the ghosts want you to think.
Ha Ha Og. First time it happened to me was when I was around 12. I was home alone and the main light in the living room switched itself on. Like Mrs DT all those years later, I also left the house and walked the streets until my Mum came home from work. :)

My Dad is/was an Electrician by trade, and he later told me it was complexly normal.

Reddit Paranormal is either really scraping the bottom of the barrel. This was posted today - to be fair the poster does mention that it's 'probaly just lens flare' - but if this is what the US thinks passes for 'paranormal' they would absolutely EXORCISE themselves over my mysterious creaky floorboards in a 200 year old cottage!

PS - it's lens flare. In fact, it's just light effects, and doesn't look remotely paranormal.

Well, you know, it is Reddit. Most people associate lens flare with other effects, if they even know what it is. And the poster did say that's probably what it was. And it does look kind of weird. Pretty good for Reddit, I'd say.

if this is what the US thinks passes for 'paranormal' they would absolutely EXORCISE themselves over my mysterious creaky floorboards in a 200 year old cottage!
Part of the problem is that there is no such thing as a 200 year old cottage in 98% of the US.
Almost nobody here knows what they're like.
If a building is 50 years old, it is ancient, and therefore, probably haunted!!!

Drives me nuts.

Part of the problem is that there is no such thing as a 200 year old cottage in 98% of the US.
Almost nobody here knows what they're like.
If a building is 50 years old, it is ancient, and therefore, probably haunted!!!

Drives me nuts.
My house (here in the US), is going to be 100 in a few years. I plan on throwing it a party.

My house is 110 years old this year, and I live in the west (of North America), where it is even "newer".
I used to live in Ontario, (East coast) and had an attic apartment that was in a house that was built in 1870 (sadly demolished now).

I know it isn't as old as UK, but there are a few "oldish" buildings here.
:omr:

Where I live, you can go for a bike ride and see countless mediaeval buildings. In fact the next town along, ancient Nantwich, burned down in 1583 and was rebuilt with help from Queen Elizabeth the First among others. It still has many of the 'new' Elizabethan structures.

Only two buildings survived the fire. One was Churche's Mansion, built in 1577 by one Richard Church.
I often cycle past there and keep meaning to drop by and have a beer/be haunted. :)

That’s quite interesting Max. Not long after we moved into this house, I came home from work one evening and Mrs DT asked if she could talk to me away from the kids. She said that she was in the house alone and was sitting on the bed pairing up freshly laundered socks, when the bedroom light switched itself on all of its own accord. She told me she even heard the click of the light switch.

Understandably this freaked her out, so she fled the house and spent the rest of the afternoon sitting in a local café drinking endless cups of tea, until it was time to pick the kids up from school.

I’ve seen this happen a few times in my life and you’re right, there Is nothing supernatural in this whatsoever.
An electric cooker in a shared Cornish cottage I recently lived in whilst a mature student would sometimes switch itself on and off in quick succession with an audible 'click', whilst the clock display also flashed on and off. It scared the bejesus out of me but eventually slow down and stop. On the third occasion I had to put it down to a faulty processor (it wasn't new). A plugged-in hoover also switched itself on in that area, but again I put it down to the switch having been balanced between on and off. Then on the stroke of midnight on 31st December 2019, and as fireworks began outside, the kitchen lights started dimming and brightening again whilst the microwave display audibly and visually pulsed on and off. Again, it seriously spooked me out, not least because I was quite tipsy, but in the morning I had to put it down to a power surge.

What was strange is that including myself four people lived in that house and to the best of my knowledge these things only ever happened at night when I was on my own in the kitchen. I have an iPhone video of the cooker switching on and off if anyone knows how to load it...?

Last edited:
I have am iPhone video of the cooker switching on and off if anyone knows how to load it...?
You can attach an MP4 file with the Attach files feature. The Attach files button is at the bottom.

Where I live, you can go for a bike ride and see countless mediaeval buildings. In fact the next town along, ancient Nantwich, burned down in 1583 and was rebuilt with help from Queen Elizabeth the First among others. It still has many of the 'new' Elizabethan structures.

Only two buildings survived the fire. One was Churche's Mansion, built in 1577 by one Richard Church.
I often cycle past there and keep meaning to drop by and have a beer/be haunted. :)
Isn't it, like, your duty to do so? :chuckle:

You went there Sunday, it's now Monday (in my neck of the woods) and is actually TUESDAY in YOUR neck of the woods—c'mon, spill!
At least let us know how the beer was. :beer:

You went there Sunday, it's now Monday (in my neck of the woods) and is actually TUESDAY in YOUR neck of the woods—c'mon, spill!
At least let us know how the beer was. :beer:
We did go along there, both out and inbound but it was just too cold to stop.
Expedition refreshments are currently taken outdoors so we'd've been out in the beer garden, imminently joining the next haunting shift.

When my bum thaws out we'll try again.

We did go along there, both out and inbound but it was just too cold to stop.
Expedition refreshments are currently taken outdoors so we'd've been out in the beer garden, imminently joining the next haunting shift.

When my bum thaws out we'll try again.
Ah, now you've done it. You'll get offers...

I've had to unjoin the Reddit Paranormal thread. Today there is someone showing off scratches on their leg and being told 'probably demons', when it's fairly obvious they've either scratched themselves without knowing or have had a reaction to something earlier in the day. It is beyond ridiculous.

*Edit to add - there are, of course, plenty of people on there pointing out the obvious, but the poster is full of 'no, it can't possibly be that, this is an old house and I KNOW it's haunted, and anyway my mom is psychic', etc etc.

Last edited:
I've had to unjoin the Reddit Paranormal thread. Today there is someone showing off scratches on their leg and being told 'probably demons', when it's fairly obvious they've either scratched themselves without knowing or have had a reaction to something earlier in the day. It is beyond ridiculous.

*Edit to add - there are, of course, plenty of people on there pointing out the obvious, but the poster is full of 'no, it can't possibly be that, this is an old house and I KNOW it's haunted, and anyway my mom is psychic', etc etc.

Itches are caus'd by divils living thy skin and can only be remedied by fire or ye dung of cowes.

Back