• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What Did You Dream Of Last Night?

I think it's amazing how the human mind can just create new faces that you've never seen before in waking life.
My daughter maintains that your mind does not in fact do this, but her explanation is equally amazing: your brain draws on the faces of passersby that you see but pay no conscious attention to, recalling them as you sleep to give faces to the people in your dream. She's a lousy neuro-biologist, as she provides no citation, but then again she is only 11.

ETA I suppose an interesting experiment would be to endeavour to remember whether the faces in my dreams change to reflect those in my current locale. Trouble is, although I know I do dream, I very rarely remember any of the details.

That building again. Much darker. A gang of us were over to make a film involving a punk band, But some kind of uprising took place. Two of the girl members of the band lost eyes. We were sheltering in the building/hotel which seemed to have been moved inland. Two people I know turned out to be skilled sword fighters. Not really surprised at one of them as she took up arms against the Iranian mullahs. Then the soldiers protecting us turned on us. We were fleeing through the hotel for our lives. Eventually we were on a safe passage to the airport. But I got left behind. The building was back at the seaside.

I was carrying a slightly injured tiger cub called Roy Cropper and looking for a vet in a very skewed version of my childhood town. The cub was pretty heavy.

I'm since found out that Roy Cropper is a character in Coronation Street, a program I never watch.

Sad because I googled 'Roy Cropper" thinking it might be some amazing person that fitted into my dream.

Last edited:
Last night I dreamt I was standing in a landscape full of bombed out buildings beneath an orange red sky. There was no sun - just the hellish glow of the sky. I noticed one of the devastated houses still had lights inside, so I went to investigate.

As I approached, a young couple came out of the building. "What's going on?" I asked them. "It's the Apocalypse," the girl replied. "That makes sense," I thought to myself. "You should come with us," the girl continued. "We need to move on".

"If this building still has electricity, it must have hot water," I thought. I was covered in sweat and dust and thought I would cope with the Apocalypse much better if I had a nice hot bath. "OK," I replied. "Just wait here a minute, I want to have a quick bath."

"We're not waiting," she said. "You'll have to catch us up later".

As I entered the building, I took out my phone and was surprised to see I still had a signal. But then it crumbled to bits in my hand. Through the empty back windows I could see some indistinct white figures in the distance closing in on the house. "Those are demons or ghosts released from hell," I thought. "If they catch up with me they're going to tear me to pieces".

I still really wanted my bath, though, and I thought the figures were moving so slowly that I'd have time to have one before they reached the house. As I started to climb the stairs, I awoke drenched in sweat. So I had a shower.

I dreamt my eldest son had given his dad my big fish tank, in return for three fluorescent yellow biros, and all my big fish were crammed into a small tank. I was very cross!

The building again. I was there on some kind of holiday. Mondo and mundane happenings. Some kind of secret part of Hotel where I was shot at for trying to enter, i went up wrong staircase.

At end of dream Tsunami was heading towards us.

I had just dozed off when I heard 3 loud knocks on the front door which jolted me awake.
As we have a security door that couldn't happen in real life, and I'm left wondering if it means anything.
The last time I heard it was when my best friend was in labour with her youngest.
I'm hoping it's something good but worried about one of my friends who has lapsed back into depression. She looked so grey when I saw her yesterday.

I had just dozed off when I heard 3 loud knocks on the front door which jolted me awake.
As we have a security door that couldn't happen in real life, and I'm left wondering if it means anything.
The last time I heard it was when my best friend was in labour with her youngest.
I'm hoping it's something good but worried about one of my friends who has lapsed back into depression. She looked so grey when I saw her yesterday.
Can a 'security door' stop someone knocking on it 3 times? Please explain, Iris (I'm puzzled).

It's steel mesh so there's nothing to knock on. People either tap on the window or shake the door.

A good flying dream. I love how you realy have to launch yourself in the air. I had a ray gun torch combo and was fighting flying Body Snatcher types. I was basically then cornered, (yes in the air), knew my number ws up and realized It was in fact a dream and I could escape - which I did.

Should have tried to have sex with some random dream hotties as I was a lucid but didn't - what a fool.

I dreamt that there were people in my bedroom (without my permission!), and as they were going through my stuff they were discussing a surprise party for my birthday. I was so annoyed with people in my room and going through my stuff, along with a planned surprise party (which I really, really hate!), I woke up and spent the next ten minutes trying to calm down from imaginary people being annoying!

Such a bizarre dream this morning, it surprised even me.

I was walking along a placid beach, with white sand and blue sky, when suddenly....zombie apocalypse. :eek:
I ran through abandoned amusement parks and shopping centers, trying to protect my loved ones from the zombies. These weren't mindless, brain-eating zombies, either, they were mercenary, soldier of fortune type zombies, with weapons. Very threatening.

Eventually, I realized that the whole thing was a plot by the Koch brothers to prove some point about social Darwinism, survival of the fittest and that only the Tea Party would survive the zombie apocalypse. Needless to say, this ticked me off. It woke me up, actually, I was so angry! :mad: :p

Definitely an odd dream. I occasionally dream of politics, but I have never dreamt of zombies.

I dreamt that there were people in my bedroom (without my permission!), and as they were going through my stuff they were discussing a surprise party for my birthday. I was so annoyed with people in my room and going through my stuff, along with a planned surprise party (which I really, really hate!), I woke up and spent the next ten minutes trying to calm down from imaginary people being annoying!

Second time running, I dreamt that I had arrived home after a long week at work to find that people were throwing a surprise party in my honour. Since I hate these things, I shouted abuse at everyone for being in my home and throwing me the party, etc. I was so annoyed that I woke up and had to listen to the radio for half an hour to calm down...

I really hate surprise parties!

Ulalume when I saw this part of your post:
"These weren't mindless, brain-eating zombies, either, they were mercenary, soldier of fortune type zombies, with weapons. Very threatening"
I thought of the masked terrorists on tv most days.

^ Very deep thinking there!

Long story short, I offered a cyclist a lift in my LWB Transit. We went to Keele University, in the opposite direction from where she'd been going, and I accidentally parked the van in a pond after mistaking it for a nice patch of grass surrounded by rocks.

Last night I had a dream in which a friend-of-a-friend decided to become a centaur. He declared this transformation to be essential for his mental health, although everyone around him tried to persuade him not to do it. He said he had found a horse who was willing to become his lower half and a surgeon who was willing to perform the operation. The medical details weren't part of the dream, nor was it made clear how the horse was meant to have given consent.

Some time after this transformation had been completed, the newly-minted centaur attended a social gathering at the home of some mutual friends. The centaur was quite annoyed when the hosts refused to allow his lower half inside the house. They were concerned the hooves would damage the flooring so they insisted that his rear end remain outside. The centaur grudgingly agreed and spent the evening with his upper body leaning through an open window in the front room while his lower half remained in the garden.

I woke up laughing at the absurdity of the dream. Tribble's post on another thread about the centaur soft toy in Japan is quite a coincidence. Some centaur-themed vibe must be in the atmosphere...

I'm sleeping very soundly at the moment, but I'm working pretty hard, studying. I am dreaming, but with little recollection and I'm starting to think poor sleep might be linked to lack of mental effort during the day.

nor was it made clear how the horse was meant to have given consent.

They keep asking me that! :evil:

StillFromTestamentOfOrpheusCocteau.jpg

I am sure I have seen a Cocteau drawing which features a centaur peering in through a window. I can't locate it now. I did find a still from The Testament of Orpheus, which features a two-legged horse-man and a window which is out of his reach. Wearing a horse's head and sticking a duster up your bum is cheating, though. :p

I'm experiencing something very odd during sleep, presently.

Pain.

The opposite of anasthesia, and I can't work-out if I'm just dreaming it, or physiologically experiencing it, such that it's waking me up, then I go back to sleep.

It's as if every ache and pain I knowingly possess (and some I don't, such as toothache) appear to randomly appear once I get off to sleep.

It almost feels as if my calibrated threshold for background pains and aches has gone faulty whenever I sleep. It's probably just an age and wear thing, but it's very unpleasant.

Any undeclared fellow sufferers, of somnopseudalgia? Or am I unique? If so, that's a bit of a pain

I did find a still from The Testament of Orpheus, which features a two-legged horse-man and a window which is out of his reach.

Thanks for this, James. Funny you should post it because earlier today I told a friend about my dream and she asked what had happened to the man's lower half and the horse's head. That information wasn't revealed in the dream. I had completely forgotten about the Cocteau film.

I dreamed I went into a health food shop and found it was being run by Hitler and Goebbels. Hitler looked really mopey and refused to say anything. "Well, you've come down in the world, haven't you?" I said to him in my most sarcastic tone of voice.

I was finding it extraordinarily difficult to remember what I'd gone in there for, but eventually asked Goebbels for some royal jelly. He handed me a bag full of mixed seeds and nuts that looked suspiciously like gerbil food to me. "There's no way I'm paying for that!" I snapped and headed out.

As I opened the door a creepy looking boy in a black suit came in. As I looked down at him, his face morphed into Hitlers then into a carriage clock. At this, I thoroughly lost my temper. "You don't fool me, mini Hitler!" I yelled at him. "It's no use your turning into an alarm clock! I know this is a dream!"

Then I woke up.

I'm experiencing something very odd during sleep, presently.

Pain.

The opposite of anasthesia, and I can't work-out if I'm just dreaming it, or physiologically experiencing it, such that it's waking me up, then I go back to sleep.

It's as if every ache and pain I knowingly possess (and some I don't, such as toothache) appear to randomly appear once I get off to sleep.

It almost feels as if my calibrated threshold for background pains and aches has gone faulty whenever I sleep. It's probably just an age and wear thing, but it's very unpleasant.

Any undeclared fellow sufferers, of somnopseudalgia? Or am I unique? If so, that's a bit of a pain

Do you have it when you wake from the dream?

Are you on any medication?

Basically what if anything has changed?

Back