• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What Did You Dream Of Last Night?

Dreamed this two nights ago, but have been too busy to post it...

In the dream, there was a famous lost film that had been found, or some bits and pieces had been found, at least. The film was from the late 60's and starred Peter O'Toole and Genevieve Bujold. It looked much like films from that era and the color was a bit faded and scratchy.

In this film, O'Toole and Bujold are driving out to the country, probably in a Mini Cooper (it was that sort of film). I don't know where they were, only that it was very green and mossy with rolling hills, and they were traveling to an isolated location. O'Toole, being the driver, knew where they were going but Bujold seemed none the wiser. Their conversation was basically Bujold asking questions and O'Toole teasing that she'd find out when they got there.

The next bit of footage showed them entering a long track in the countryside at dusk. As they drove down, there were people tending fires along each side of the track, some with kettles of steaming water suspended over top. The people did not look ordinary. They were dressed and decorated much like the Hopi squash kachina. Like this:

squashkachina3.jpg

Though I felt sure some of them were meant to represent cactus. (There is a cactus (prickly pear) kachina IRL, but it doesn't look anything like that)

In the dream, Bujold asks O'Toole what the people are doing, and O'Toole laughs and makes an acerbic quip about the natives being restless.

The next piece of footage shows O'Toole and Bujold outside, as if they are making a camp. There is the sense that they are far from anything and there is no one else for miles. O'Toole is busy putting on some kind of garment, like a cloak, then unexpectedly places a pair of horns on his head. He looks directly at the camera - at the implied viewer, one assumes - but it felt as if he was looking right at me. His eyes are unnaturally large and luminous and he manages to look coy and sinister at the same time. He says "well? Are you surprised?"

He leads Bujold to a throne made branches, stones and antlers and covers her with a green mantle. He brings out a crown, and I understand that she is the true queen of the land who is being restored to the throne. This isn't just metaphorical, she is really an integral part of the land that has been missing and now things will be whole again.

Unfortunately, at that point I was woken up, so no idea what would have happened next!

Later that afternoon, OH told me that some sacred Hopi artifacts are being sold in France, despite protests. In light of that, the kachina symbolism is a very interesting thing to have turned up in the dream.

Wow - you should turn that into a short story! Wild.

Wow - you should turn that into a short story! Wild.
If only I hadn't woken up before the end! I can't think up story endings to save my life. :/ It always ends up with "they all went home" or "they all died" or something dumb like that. :rolleyes: :oops:

I was in Scotland, a small city or town, to be interviewed for a job, in administration/research. a friend I haven't seen for a while was either going to be on the interview board or was advising them. For no apparent reason I flew back to Dublin intending though to get the next flight back to Scotland. I was worried that I would miss the interview.

I dreamed about someone I work with - a normally dull, rather dour person. They were very excited and claimed to have discovered the secret behind Star Wars. According to him, Yoda was the real power behind the dark side and had manipulated all the events in the movies and was so secretive not even the high ranking baddies knew.

If only I hadn't woken up before the end! I can't think up story endings to save my life. :/ It always ends up with "they all went home" or "they all died" or something dumb like that. :rolleyes: :oops:

Go for the classic wrap up that's staring you in the face: "Then they woke up and it was all a dream."

Go for the classic wrap up that's staring you in the face: "Then they woke up and it was all a dream."

On the first day of tenth grade, our English teacher told us that any student who wrote such an ending would be hanged, drawn and quartered. :D

I still fear the wrath of Mrs. Tucker. :p

On the first day of tenth grade, our English teacher told us that any student who wrote such an ending would be hanged, drawn and quartered. :D

I still fear the wrath of Mrs. Tucker. :p
I dimly remember one of my teachers also saying something similar.
Or maybe I dreamt it?

I dimly remember one of my teachers also saying something similar.
Or maybe I dreamt it?

I suppose having to read thousands of poorly written assignments drives this urge toward summary execution of their students. :p

I dreamt that I needed a haircut, woke up and remembered that I do need a haircut. Has anyone here had a more mundane dream than that?

I dreamt that I needed a haircut, woke up and remembered that I do need a haircut. Has anyone here had a more mundane dream than that?

I once had a dream about being in a meeting, and I remarked to the person sitting next to me how boring the dream was. He agreed.

I once had a dream about being in a meeting, and I remarked to the person sitting next to me how boring the dream was. He agreed.
I think we have a winner.

In a very lucid dream the night before last, a deceased friend of mine was in it and at the end of the dream, he said to me (I was in the dream too) "See you in January!" Then immediately after that, I woke up and wondered if he meant that I'm going to die in January. Sure hope not!

Just woke up from another madly detailed dream. Another film this time. Must have films on the brain lately!

This one had a title, but I can't recall exactly what. It was some combination of the words "communication" "cirrocumulus", "circumnavigation" and (this last might be telling ) "circumlocution". These were all put together in one neat word, but for the life of me I can't think what. Need @Ermintrude in here to figure that one out. :)

Anyway, the movie at first seemed like part of the sinister child genre. A single mother needs a babysitter for her daughter, who's about 12 or so. The mother tells the sitter that the girl is insane and must be kept locked in her room because she's dangerous. She must not be left unattended, and under no circumstances should the girl be allowed access to any communications equipment, as she might be able to create a weapon. The mother also warns the sitter that the girl has some strange beliefs about aliens, so not to pay any mind to what the girl says.

After the mother leaves, the girl begins to talk to the sitter about weather systems. Through the window, they can see unusual cloud formations in the sky above the fields, and the girl gives detailed descriptions about the formations and their meaning. The sitter (as typical of the trope) begins to think that the girl is not insane but simply very intelligent, and lets down her guard.

The girl then begins to reveal things about the sitter's past that she couldn't possibly have known, including specific incidents from the sitter's childhood. (this was all very detailed in the dream, but I'm leaving it out for brevity's sake.) When the sitter asks the girl how she can know all these things, the girl says it's because she's an alien. That's why her mother forbids her any communications equipment, because she will be able to build a device to contact her home world to take her back. In fact, the cloud formations over the field indicate that the time is just right to try to make contact.

When the mother comes home, the sitter goes to tell her about all these strange and incredible things. The mother becomes aware that the sitter has let down her guard, and then sees that various items like the phone and radio are missing from the living room. The mother runs to the girl's room, but it's too late, the girl has already gone.

In a sort of postscript to this, it's revealed that the girl's brother (also an alien) had disappeared the exact same way years before.

Hmm. Allegory much? :p

I was somewhat reminded of that film where Kevin Spacey played an alleged alien in a psychiatric ward, though the mood of this was much darker. Well, at least my dream film had an ending this time! :)

I'm reminded obliquely but strongly of Reich, 'Cloudbusting' and of course Kate Bush.

Orgone etheric control and communication with an elemental supranatural force.

As you acknowledge, the tropes within your dream were classic archetypes. I'm fascinated by both the linear narrative of your experience, and your evident ability at being able to recount it to us.

When you say:
this was all very detailed in the dream, but I'm leaving it out for brevity's sake.
I'm almost scared to ask- does this mean that you still actually possess a layered recollection of this? Or do you mean, in retroscope, that you could've done so after awaking? This is so interesting. Are you an eidetic memory enabled person?

"communication" "cirrocumulus", "circumnavigation" and (this last might be telling ) "circumlocution".
Words that come to me from this, unbidden, are....
  • Circontata
  • Encircularity
  • Roundscape
  • Volventia
  • Exomancy

In a very lucid dream the night before last, a deceased friend of mine was in it and at the end of the dream, he said to me (I was in the dream too) "See you in January!" Then immediately after that, I woke up and wondered if he meant that I'm going to die in January. Sure hope not!

:eek:

Keep posting.

I'm reminded obliquely but strongly of Reich, 'Cloudbusting' and of course Kate Bush.

Orgone etheric control and communication with an elemental supranatural force.

As you acknowledge, the tropes within your dream were classic archetypes. I'm fascinated by both the linear narrative of your experience, and your evident ability at being able to recount it to us.

When you say:

I'm almost scared to ask- does this mean that you still actually possess a layered recollection of this? Or do you mean, in retroscope, that you could've done so after awaking? This is so interesting. Are you an eidetic memory enabled person?

Words that come to me from this, unbidden, are....
  • Circontata
  • Encircularity
  • Roundscape
  • Volventia
  • Exomancy

Hi Ermintrude,

To answer your questions - recalling those parts of the dream is not especially difficult or complex. It was just as you'd see in a film. As the girl begins to recount events from the sitter's life, the scene shifts to watching the sitter as she experienced those events in the past. The girl's voice recounted these things in voice-over. There was a layering effect, but no different than you'd experience while actually watching a film. (The parts I'd left out had to do with events the sitter experienced on the day of her grandmother's funeral, many years earlier.)

I don't have an eidetic memory, but I do have synesthesia, which makes it much easier to recall details, IMO.

The word "encircularity" sounds nice.

I had a rather odd dream last night in which Game of Thrones and Brideshead revisited had a cross over series. I quite enjoyed it :oops:

I had a prolonged and detailed dream, which consisted of me endlessly examining a fictional CD. It was very dull. It did serve to demonstrate that I certainly read in my dreams, a matter raised recently - probably in this thread.

I was studying the back of the jewel-case for a very long time. It was a coupling of Brahms's second symphony with a set of his motets and I was fretting that the symphony was credited to a cathedral choir.

I can see where Brahms came from. In the last day or two, I posted a picture of the beardy man preparing his coffee. I had earlier downloaded some tracks of choral music, albeit not Brahms.

A much more interesting and complex sequence followed. I had arrived in my old home town with some luggage. The route - alongside the railway-line was one I had followed with an overnight bag a couple of months ago, on return from a brief stay in Liverpool. Then, I was accompanied by my brother, who drifted in and out of the picture in the dream.

Turning into the street where I used to live, I was startled to see that a dam had been constructed. I was at the level of a large, still body of water. There was a sheer - and impossible - drop to the level of the rest of the street beyond. I needed to negotiate a wet corner where the wall of the dam met the gardens of neighbouring houses. The ground was sodden beyond the dam and I began to fear for the house. I had also lost my luggage somewhere along the way but resolved not to turn back.

Arriving at the front door, I knocked, waited then peeped through the letter-box to see if anyone was home. I had an impressive view of the interior, which was a lot grander than the house ever actually was. It was my childhood home and approaching from the rooms at the rear of the house was my mother. Now, in the vestibule, there was a graciously emotional and symmetrical reunion of the mother with her two sons, as if staged for a silent movie. I recall there was a low ceiling, suggestive of an incomplete stage-set. All very heart-warming and rather unexpected, since the lady has been dead over thirty years.

So where did the elements come from? I can trace the flood and the dam to video material seen recently: news footage of people sweeping water from their porches in Ireland and a dam-top chase in the sixth episode of Captain Marvel. There, a villain plunges to his death onto what looked like dry land beneath the wall of the dam. I last saw the serial as a child at Saturday-morning cinema, so the notion of returning home to mum may have stemmed from that.

The peeping through the front door was perhaps borrowed from the wicked film Thundercrack, which includes a lot of hole-in-wall stuff. The silent movie staging was most-likely inspired by the Brownlow-Gill Series on early Hollywood, which I am immersed in. I think D. W. Griffith must be directing my dreams. I expect the Ku Klux Klan in the next thrilling episode. :eek:

I'll do that but just in case something DOES happen in Jan., I want "Ride Like the Wind" (Christoper Cross) played at my funeral. :)

Sorry for the OT, but that song always makes me imagine Christopher Cross on a ten speed bike. :)
Hopefully you'll survive, Mag-ona!

Just woken up from a very vivid and disturbing dream:

A whole bunch of people from work had gone in pairs on some kind of outing which involve one of the pairs doing a gymnastics/ parkour exam on "set pieces" such as bridges and dams. I was driving and my colleague was doing the jumping. One particular bridge was quite a problem, so he left that one out, but then was sad as he knew he wouldn't get an A.

We returned to work and as we got back into the car park, a film crew turned up and Kristen Stewart, who used to work with us (she didn't!) ask to try out my car because she was going to buy one. Except it was all a diversionary tactic, and a bunch of people broke into my workplace and started off a catastrophic chain reaction, then everyone except me just went. And Kristen Stewart nicked my car :cry:

Then it seemed to skip a bit and I was left alone there in some kind of post apocalyptic world, I desperately wanted to phone my Mum and let her know I was okay, because I knew she'd be worried, but I had no phone. At first there were these land trains going up and down the road but no one would stop, then these stopped. Gradually the trees started to disappear and the houses I could see looked all empty, but I still stayed there?
It was also really hot, and I wanted to take my jeans off, but didn't want to stand there in my pants.

At this point in real life, the ducks outside my bedroom window started quacking , and in my dream I realised it was a dream and I told myself to just wake up and end it.

The exam thing, I can put down to my daughter being in the middle of exams at the moment.
No one I know does either gymnastics or Parkour.
I don't know Kristen Stewart, nor have I seen any films with her in recently.
I hate films based on post apocalyptic worlds.
I was hot because I still have the winter quilt on!
In a nutshell - o_O

Lots of women in my dreams last night. Lots of names, too. Felt slightly worrying, so I'm going to write it down for posterity.

First, I had a bout of sleep paralysis. When the paralysis struck and I realized I was dreaming, I noticed two names written on a wall. A woman's, Jamie Gonzales, and a man's, David Woodville. After I'd shaken off the paralysis, I grabbed a pen, scrawled the names on my arm (not having any paper handy), then fell back to sleep. Didn't recall this until I'd gone to brush my teeth in the morning and saw these scribbles on my arm. :p

After I'd fallen asleep the second time, I dreamed I was helping a woman find the police station, so she could report a crime. Her car had been stolen and I knew who'd done it. I gave the police several names: Gloria, Melinda, Lupe and Natalie.

Next scene, a group of five women came to my house. Don't know if they were detectives or what - they were each dressed in a different colored suit, in autumnal colors, and all had different colored hair. They began to administer a very strange psychological test, for reasons that were unexplained.

The dog was barking, so one woman began to ask me about the dogs name.
"Your dog is named D_ de V_?"
I say no, our dog is named Bambi, D_ de V_ is a friend of ours. (which she is, in real life.)
The woman says "so how long has your dog been named D_ de V_?"
...and it went on like this for a while, very frustrating. I kept insisting that our dog's name is Bambi and wondering how D_ even came into this. All the while the women are taking notes.

Then the women administered a very unpleasant forced choice exam. Like, "how would you prefer to die - garrotte? Suffocation? Gunshot? Being trapped in a hot tin shed?" etc. Really awful questions. I began to complain, saying this test was unfair, as I'd only tried to report a crime. The women laughed, saying it was okay, I'd passed the test anyway.

As if this wasn't weird enough, the dream changed and suddenly I was in The Three Musketeers, by Alexandre Dumas. I was with D'Artagnan, who was as you'd expect, but all the other musketeers were women. I expected some explanation, but no one seemed to notice this change in story line.That's the last I remember before I woke up.

Regarding the first pair of names, I've known a lot of people by the name of Gonzales, but none called Jamie. Looking up the name turned up no one familiar. David Woodville is apparently a character in a Yaoi anime, which I'd never even heard of, let alone seen. :eek:

The second group of names are all familiar from the past, but no one I know currently has these names.
The female detectives were not familiar, but the colors of their suits made me think of fall, which possibly refers to the presidential election.

Just while writing this now, I've noticed the connection between the "de" in D_ de V_'s name and the "d'" in d'Artagnan. D_V_ works in a realm involving politics. With all these women in the dream, especially in positions of power, I'm half wondering if this isn't a premonition that Hillary Clinton will choose Elizabeth Warren as a running mate. I hadn't thought that was likely before, but who knows.

An election can be seen as a forced choice in a way, though hardly as bad as having to chose your preferred way to die. At least not this year. :p Unless something even crazier happens.

Still no idea what my dog had to do with it, though!

I was in an enclosed square which had four gates. I was protecting the gate on my right.

Behind me were women and children and I'm thinking very wealthy people which I was protecting.

The gate kept getting attacked and with my sword I kept cutting into the head and necks of the the attackers, (good special effects), as that's pretty much all I could get at in the press. Also though it seemed to be my thing.

I felt no fear just adrenaline like a workout and I was quite focused more so than my attackers. This was something I'd done before.

Then they sent in another wave of attackers with chain mail and then it got silly as I knew these attacks had the plague or something and I ordered the retreat of the women/children into the tunnels at our rear then I woke up.

After waking I thought about it and googled the sword which was a gladius, but quite long more like a Spatha but not quite as long, (yes pretty freudian), the armor of the attackers was crude chain mail.

Now I like my history and I'm pleased that my brains special effects department got the crude chain mail of my attackers linked with a latter roman empire sword. I've not found the right sword length yet though.

the wife pointed out I'd watched penny dreadful so that might account for the plague.

Also why the hell was I protecting these wealthy gits? Should have been on the attacking side:D

Last edited:
I've had the strange scenario today of a recurring dream of mine actually coming true, but experienced by my mum.

I am a bit of a nerd for football stats and as such over the years have built up a good collection of Rothmans Football Yearbooks dating back to the early 70s. As of this morning I needed four to complete my collection.

I have many times over the years dreamt of going into numerous different second hand bookshops to find a cache of them and many of the ones I am missing, only to wake up disappointed. When back in the UK I always have a snoop around Oxfam etc... in the hope of picking one up.

Anyhow, today I got an email from my mum saying she had been in a secobd hand bookshop today and found a near complete set of them including all bar one of those I need. I'm delighted she picked them up for me but slightly disappointed I didn't get the chance to go in that shop and live out my recurring dream!

Back