• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Your All-Time Favourite Ghost Photos

I found the Newby Church pic disturbing as an adult. Something about it shocks the eye when first seen. I've gotten used to it over the years, but cming across in the Bords' Mysterious Britain at the bookstore 20 years gave me a jolt.

It's been debunked, but it's still effectively very scary.

The photo outside the "log cabin" was, if I recall correctly taken outside a cottage in Ireland, and appeared on the letters page of the FT several years ago. It was a very strange image, the figure behind the family seemed to have the quality of a painting, suggesting a hoax, albeit an elaborate one. I'd be interested to see a larger copy of the photo; the original in the FT was rather small.

I agree about the 'log cabin' photo being quite compelling. Although the FT comment at the time was that it looked very much like a painting, it had a very eerie quality about it that was hard to dismiss. The 'cartoon' female figure in the photograph was actually putting out some empty milk bottles if I recall, and there was a hall and kitchen with strange, warped perspective behind her. It was almost like a strange ghost cartoon had been captured on film!

If it was a hoax, one wonders why the photographer didn't try to make the image more convincing as it just looks like a one-dimensional illustration behind the family group. If it isn't, it must be one of the most bizarre things caught on camera and I think anyone who see's it would find it unsettling simply because there is nothing else to compare it to.

paulsamfreya said:
The photo outside the "log cabin" was, if I recall correctly taken outside a cottage in Ireland, and appeared on the letters page of the FT several years ago. It was a very strange image, the figure behind the family seemed to have the quality of a painting, suggesting a hoax, albeit an elaborate one. I'd be interested to see a larger copy of the photo; the original in the FT was rather small.

Can someone post this photo up, I'd like to see it again.

It was on TV a long time ago, Back in 1994-95 there was a series called "schofields quest", where philip schofield asked for viewers help to solve misterys of all kinds. They also showed the woman in the table ghost.

Chez, that picture you posted is creepy. Eesh! Even if it turns out to be a cleaning lady or something . . . CREEPY. Cool! :)

About the 'ghost girl in the middle of the table' pic--there seem to be a number of weird things going on with that photograph--I mean just with the physical aspects of the people in the picture. It's distorted, as if someone tried to take a panoramic shot and had to move during the process or something.

Has anyone mentioned the picture of the sailors faces showing up in the ocean in a picture taken aboard a ship? I forget the name (of course--good ol' menopause, *sigh*) but you see that picture everywhere. Even cropped and with those stupid arrows pointing out the faces, it still scares me. Love that pic.

Brighid45 said:
Has anyone mentioned the picture of the sailors faces showing up in the ocean in a picture taken aboard a ship? I forget the name (of course--good ol' menopause, *sigh*) but you see that picture everywhere. Even cropped and with those stupid arrows pointing out the faces, it still scares me. Love that pic.

paranormal.about.com/library/gra ... sts_lg.jpg
Link is dead. The MIA photo (shown here) is accessible at the Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/2006050....com/library/graphics/watertown_ghosts_lg.jpg

watertown_ghosts_lg.jpg

--snip----------------
James Courtney and Michael Meehan, crew members of the S.S. Watertown, were cleaning a cargo tank of the oil tanker as it sailed toward the Panama Canal from New York City in December of 1924. Through a freak accident, the two men were overcome by gas fumes and killed. As was the custom of the time, the sailors were buried at sea off the Mexican coast on December 4.
----------------------------

For more about this photo and its story see:

USS Watertown Ghost Picture

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/uss-watertown-ghost-picture.68448/

I've always loved this photo, as well!
TVgeek

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks TVgeek! Took a quick peek at it and it STILL gives me the heebie jeebies *shudder* :shock:

A favourite one of mine was that one where some guy took a photo of his local town hall burning down, and there is a the face of a girl peering at the camera from an open doorway.

Chris Baker said:
paulsamfreya said:

Can someone post this photo up, I'd like to see it again.

It was on TV a long time ago, Back in 1994-95 there was a series called "schofields quest", where philip schofield asked for viewers help to solve misterys of all kinds. They also showed the woman in the table ghost.

I've searched the entire internet for this photo but with no luck. Can anyone else do better?

http://www.prairieghosts.com/bachgrov.html

This is my favourite ghost picture taken in Bachelor's grove cemetery, Chicago- taken during the daylight and there was apparently no-one there when the picture was taken. Very 1920's style of dress and clothing.

TVgeek said:
XxXDyingIsisXxX said:
nickedoff12 said:
Sorry about the two in a row thing, but I found this -

I saw it a while ago, and I guess it's faked (easily) but it's still interesting (the dude in the back wearing bell bottoms wasn't there, supposedly) -
Classic-ToysRUs.jpg

The Newby ghost scared the CRAP out of me when I was a kid, too. I found it in some book about ghosts in the schools library, and couldn't sleep for a week after.

It looks pretty lame now, though.

As far as I remember this pic was taken at a Toys 'R Us Store at a party they were having there. And I'm sure that the 'ghost' was put down to being a cardboard cutout that was on display in the background, or some blow up toy of some description.
XxXSebXxX

Actually, it was an investigation being
conducted by psychic Sylvia Brown.

http://www.sylvia.org/home/index.cfm

I used to enjoy her books... until she came to
town to speak and wanted $60 a person!
That is a ridiculous charge, IMHO...

This photo is in infrared, and supposedly there is
another photo taken simultaneously with standard film,
and the "ranch hand" does not appear. I have never
been able to track the normal photo down.

Interesting...
TVgeek

Just a quicky as I am being booted off of the PC. I just noticed that the 'ghost' looks to be holding a football which would make sense if it is some kind of sports or toy display.
I didn't read the link so sorry if it mentions it there.
XxXSebXxX

I too am stuggling to locate the Irish cabin photo, but I'll keep trying as the photo was very disturbing.

I've tried to find it but have also drawn a blank. Surely someone must have a copy of the FT issue in question? I only wish I had kept mine but space didn't allow for stacks of magazines in my flat at the time! I reckon it was at least 8 - 10 years ago so there must be someone out there who can dig it up? It really is such an eerie image.

I'll have a dig through my back issues tonight to see if I can find it and if I do I'll scan it at work tomorrow if no-one is looking!
(By the way, anyone want to buy ten years worth of old FT's?!)

ok you horrible lot, I have issues from around 55-120 & had a quick look found it after searching through about 10.. how lucky is that! issue 74..
hope it's ok to post this..

irishcottage.jpg

The reader says it was taken in in front of a cottage in Butlersbridge, County Cavan. The people in the photo apparently said they were all absolutely certain the door behind them was shut, chained & bolted & hadn't been open for years. Afterwards they said they'd learned it had been used as a museum but was gutted by fire ten years earlier & had been locked up every since.

Hate to say it but...damn, that's not as creepy as I was hoping for with all the great prior buildup. Perhaps if it was in color...;)

Diabolik said:
The reader says it was taken in in front of a cottage in Butlersbridge, County Cavan. The people in the photo apparently said they were all absolutely certain the door behind them was shut, chained & bolted & hadn't been open for years. Afterwards they said they'd learned it had been used as a museum but was gutted by fire ten years earlier & had been locked up every since.
Sorry, but the background story and the photo is just too good to be true.
I can't give a witty riposte or a scientific analysis but in personal terms, I'd look at that picture and say "The door was open, a girl - looking very gothic like Kelly Osborne - pretends to leer over a member of the photo."
Too clean, too clear, too good.

One more thing to add. The door the figure is reaching out from is painted green & yellow & the photographer says the door behind them was dark brown wood. They sent another photo of this door to FT as proof. Shame they didn't publish in colour.

Looks like a sullen teenager to me. With a bad 80s 'do.

Exactly.

Thanks for looking it up and going to the trouble, Diabolik. I mean, even if the picture is lame, well done.

Yes, thanks much, as I did want to see it as well. Someone photoshop it into color. :)

jimboak47 said:
A favourite one of mine was that one where some guy took a photo of his local town hall burning down, and there is a the face of a girl peering at the camera from an open doorway.

That would be this one. Yeah, I like it too - although I have to admit that I have a bit of a problem with almost every alleged ghost photograph I've ever seen. The good ones always appear a bit too good to be true.

Alas, the "not good enough/too good to be true" conundrum of phenomenological evidence.

Minor Drag said:
Alas, the "not good enough/too good to be true" conundrum of phenomenological evidence.

Yeah, I know. Sadly, with that attitude, I suppose its unlikely that I'm ever going to be convinced.

But take the Newby photograph. Great image which pushes all the right buttons and has probably given most of us a severe case of the willies the first time we saw it.

But, come on. A monk...In a church...with a hood...faceless and with dark, empty, eye sockets. Staring straight into the lens like a well-practiced celeb in a glossy . There aren't many buttons left to push are there? A bit like the police finding an image on CCTV of a bloke with a mask and a stripey jumper carrying a sack over his shoulder marked SWAG and a sign with "I'M A BURGLAR" daubed on it in big red letters.

Cynical...moi?

The way royal security is at the moment, this disguise might be ideal for a crook who wants to turn over Windsor Castle.

For a photograph of a building that was 'gutted by fire' that THATCHED roof is still remarkably intact.

and

The perspective of the door seems to be wrong.

I may investigate ;)

hedgewizard said:
I found the Newby Church pic disturbing as an adult. Something about it shocks the eye when first seen. I've gotten used to it over the years, but cming across in the Bords' Mysterious Britain at the bookstore 20 years gave me a jolt.

It's been debunked, but it's still effectively very scary.

By whom?

Back