• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

When Dogs Attack

... And now it's become a matter of legal wrangling and competing claims about what category of animals are in fact behind the attacks on children ...

Sitapur dog menace: UP Govt fails to file report

...The Uttar Pradesh government on Friday failed to file a report before the Supreme Court regarding the alleged killing of stray dogs in Sitapur district.

The apex court's vacation bench has now fixed the matter for the first week of July.

The top court had sought a detailed report from the Uttar Pradesh government on the matter on June 1 after hearing a petition alleging that dogs were being killed in Sitapur as they were attacking children. The court had fixed June 8 as the date for further hearing in the case.

The petition was filed by the Federation of Indian Animal Protection Organisations (FIAPO), an animal protection organisation, seeking a directive to stop the killing of dogs.

The FIAPO in its plea claimed that the Indian Veterinary Research Institute (IVRI) report clearly stated that there was no evidence that dogs attacked the children. ...

SOURCE: https://www.business-standard.com/a...govt-fails-to-file-report-118060800698_1.html

A South Carolina woman was playing with her dogs, the play turned into a mauling, and the woman eventually died of cardiac arrest at the hospital ...
A woman was wrestling with her dogs when they started ‘eating her alive,’ neighbors say
Nancy Cherryl Burgess-Dismuke had been wrestling with her dogs outside a mobile home in South Carolina when neighbors noticed something was wrong — the animals had turned on their owner, authorities said.

Authorities said two of the dogs, both boxer-mixes, became “aggressive” with Burgess-Dismuke and started biting her arms while she was playing with them Thursday in Greenville, not far from the North Carolina border. Neighbors helped pull her away from the dogs and call paramedics, who applied tourniquets to her wounds and rushed her to a nearby hospital, authorities said.

Amber Greer, who called 911, told the Greenville News that, “It went from looking like they were really playing to them really eating her alive.”

Burgess-Dismuke, 52, died of her injuries, police said. ...

It is unclear why the dogs mauled their owner. ...

Senior Deputy Coroner Kent Dill told The Washington Post that the woman, who had sustained “severe bite wounds” on both arms, was “alert” and “talking” with paramedics, but she went into cardiac arrest at the hospital.

Authorities are investigating the death; the autopsy results, including the cause and manner of death, are still pending. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.washingtonpost.com/scie...ors-say/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.02957b55e341

Five specimens of a reputedly mean canine breed are kept in a small Italian apartment. They maul their owner to death ...
Italian woman mauled to death by five pet Czechoslovakian wolfdogs

An Italian woman has been mauled to death by her five pet Czechoslovakian wolfdogs, prompting a debate over the danger posed by the increasingly popular crossbreed canine.

Mariangela Zaffino, a 74-year-old pensioner, was attacked by her five pet dogs in her apartment in the town of Grugliasco near Turin.

She was found by her daughter, who said the dogs, a cross between wild wolves and German shepherd dogs that shares many wolfish characteristics, had never shown any signs of being dangerous in the past. ...

Police are trying to ascertain what may have prompted the dogs, named Ares, Aylen, Artù, Aragorn and Apache, to attack their owner. ...

Massimo Penz, a local police commander, said the dogs had been legally registered with the authorities. “We had never had any complaints about the dogs’ behaviour,” he said. ...

The Czechoslovakian wolf dog, which is more slender than a wolf but shares many of its physical characteristics, is a legally permitted breed that has become popular in Italy in recent years.

The breed was created in Czechoslovakia in the 1950s, when an Alsatian was crossed with a Carpathian wolf in an attempt to produce an aggressive breed that could be used as guard dogs along the Iron Curtain.

It was recognized as a distinct breed in 1982. Wolf dogs are highly intelligent, hard to train and need a lot of exercise. They are not recommended for families with children. ...

Fabrizio Rondalino, a former owner of a Czechoslovakian wolf dog, said that while the breed was highly intelligent and full of energy, “it should not be allowed to exit. It is a man-made invention, one of the worst breeds created.” ...

SOURCE: https://www.yahoo.com/news/italian-woman-mauled-death-five-142219455.html

An infant is killed by the family's Rottweilers when the father briefly steps outside.
10-month-old killed by family dogs in North Carolina, authorities say

A 10-month-old baby briefly left unattended by her father at their North Carolina home was killed Tuesday night by a pair of family Rottweilers, according to the Johnston County Sheriff's Office.

The father heard a commotion after stepping outside their Willow Spring home to move a water sprinkler, Capt. Danny Johnson said ... The father, a law enforcement officer, returned to find the baby unresponsive, Johnson stated.

Deputies tried unsuccessfully to revive the child, officials said.

The baby was attacked by the family's pet Rottweilers, according to Johnston County Sheriff Steve Bizzell. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/26/us/north-carolina-baby-killed-by-family-dogs/index.html

Babies and ferocious dogs don't mix. The parents were at fault for not selling off the dogs.

We've had several Rottweilers, most of them fostered from an organisation called Rottweiler Rescue. They are large, extremely powerful and very intelligent dogs, they have unfortunately become one of the dogs of choice for anti-social idiots. They have very high dominance levels and if you don't know what you're dealing with you're building up plenty of trouble for the future.

An anecdote, when we brought our daughter home she was introduced to our then Rottie Jessica, the bitches are much motre tractable than the dogs but still need discipline, Jessica was left in no doubt where she was on the hierarchy.

One day I took her and Emma our child out, as we walked along we bumped into an old guy we used to see, he was very much a dog lover and carried little beefy treats for all the local dogs he met.

as we approached him he bent over the pram saying "oh this is the little girl then" Jessica growled deep in her throat and leaning forward, gently but firmly put her mouth around his wrist. "good girl" he said, they're all fine with the right leadership

A woman was killed by the dog bought to help her mental health.

"A woman died after being attacked by a dog her brother bought to improve her mental health, an inquest has heard.

Keira Ladlow was found face down in the lounge of her brother's Birmingham home with Staffordshire bull terrier cross, Gucci, "cowering in the corner".

Her brother Kayden Barrett said he was always happy with the dog's temperament but feels "a terrible sense of guilt".

Birmingham assistant coroner Rebecca Ollivere said Ms Ladlow died in February of multiple injuries."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-birmingham-57333128

A Pennsylvania woman was found mauled to death by the 3 pit bulls she was caring for while the owner was away.
Woman killed by dogs she was watching in Perry County

The Pennsylvania State Police Newport Station reports 60-year-old Rhoda Wagner was found dead on the front lawn of her Miller Township home in Perry County with three Pit Bull Terriers running in the yard. Officials’ investigation determined Wagner was alone at the time. The report continues to say she was attacked by the dogs for an unknown reason. ...

The release says the dogs who attacked Wagner were owned by Wagner’s roommate and had been staying there for over a month. Wagner was helping to care for them while the roommate was away at the time of the attack. Police say three dogs were euthanized at the Humane Society of Harrisburg Area with the consent of their owner. ...
FULL STORY: https://wjactv.com/news/local/woman-killed-by-three-dogs-she-was-watching-in-perry-county

A Florida mail carrier has died after being mauled by 5 dogs on her delivery route.
Florida mail carrier dies after attack by 5 dogs on delivery route

A 61-year-old letter carrier with the U.S. Postal Service died in Florida earlier this week after being attacked by five dogs she encountered on her delivery route.

Pamela Jane Rock, of Melrose, died Monday -- a day after the incident. ...

She was delivering mail Sunday in Interlachen Lakes Estates, a rural neighborhood in Putnam County, 65 miles south of Jacksonville, when her Jeep broke down on Walker Drive ...

A neighbor heard screams and rushed over to help, and then fired several shots into the air to scare the animals away. ...

Others came too, including the dogs' owner, and managed to eventually pull the canines off the helpless woman.

But it was already too late.

Deputies arrived to find the dogs behind a fence, and Rock on the ground, mortally wounded. ...

She was rushed to a local hospital, and then airlifted to a trauma center in Gainesville, where doctors amputated her arm in a failed attempt to save her life.

Animal control officials seized the dogs the same day and were planning to put them down. ...

There was no immediate indication whether the owner of the dogs would face any criminal charges.
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2022/08/24/postal-service-worker-killed-by-five-dogs/9171661350086/

Babies and ferocious dogs don't mix. The parents were at fault for not selling off the dogs.
I would say; dogs and babies don't mix, regardless of breed, or training.

Babies and small children are noisy, and unpredictable, and should never, ever be left alone with any dog. I've always had dogs, but if I had to leave the room, even for a minute, either dogs or baby came with me; things can go so wrong, so fast, it's not worth the risk, however much you think you can trust the dog (or child!).

Babies and small children are noisy, and unpredictable, and should never, ever be left alone with any dog. I've always had dogs, but if I had to leave the room, even for a minute, either dogs or baby came with me; things can go so wrong, so fast, it's not worth the risk, however much you think you can trust the dog (or child!).
I have a nice scar on my earlobe from childhood when I was determined to see if my sisters German shepherd would fit in the (empty) rabbit hutch.
He wasn’t so keen on the experiment and he let me know with a little kiss on the ear.

My mum and dad have a Parsons Jack Russell. She is lovely and has never showed aggression towards another dog or a person. She loves hunting rabbits, birds,rats and squirrels and is successful with alarming regularity despite putting a bell on her collar. She fights me every time I see her and she can get a bit carried away.
I am as certain as can be that she would never bite but I’ve noticed that when I take the grand daughters to my mums she gets very agitated when the girls are being rowdy. She sits there whining and trembling,desperate to get to them. She doesn’t do this in any other situation I have noticed.
I would never leave her with them unattended. As you wisely say things can and do occasionally go horribly wrong. Just not worth the risk.

My mum and dad have a Parsons Jack Russell. She is lovely and has never showed aggression towards another dog or a person. She loves hunting rabbits, birds,rats and squirrels and is successful with alarming regularity despite putting a bell on her collar. She fights me every time I see her and she can get a bit carried away.
I am as certain as can be that she would never bite but I’ve noticed that when I take the grand daughters to my mums she gets very agitated when the girls are being rowdy. She sits there whining and trembling,desperate to get to them. She doesn’t do this in any other situation I have noticed.
I would never leave her with them unattended. As you wisely say things can and do occasionally go horribly wrong. Just not worth the risk.
Our dogs each have a large crate that they call home. When the grandchildren are round and the dogs have had enough they retire to their crates and the kids are under strict instructions to leave them be.

A Memphis area mother was seriously injured, and two children killed, by the family's(?) dogs.
Sheriff: Dogs attack family in Tennessee, 2 children die

Two young children died and their mother was hospitalized after two family dogs attacked them at their home in Tennessee ...

The dogs attacked a 2-year-old girl, a 5-month-old boy and their mother Wednesday afternoon in the home located north of Memphis near Shelby Forest State Park ...

The children were pronounced dead at the scene and their mother was taken to a Memphis hospital in critical condition. ...

The investigation remains active. ...
SOURCE: https://apnews.com/article/tennessee-memphis-dogs-c743ceb34ef83652f2c9d7c7dda811cf

More details ...
... The Shelby County Sheriff’s Office said the attack happened inside a home ... around 3:30 p.m.

Deputies say two dogs attacked a 2-year-old girl, a 5-month-old boy and their mother.

Shelby County Sheriff Public Information Officer John Morris said both dogs appeared to be pit bulls and were taken by animal control.

Both children were pronounced dead at the scene. The mother was transported to Regional One Health in critical condition. She was later upgraded to stable condition.

Thursday afternoon, the Sheriff’s Office announced that the dogs responsible for the attack were euthanized by Memphis Animal Services. ...
SOURCE: https://ktla.com/news/2-children-killed-mother-injured-by-family-dogs-near-memphis-sheriffs-office/

The trouble with pitbulls and the like, IMHO, is not so much a matter of temperament (although they might be more inclined to attack because of their breed's history, I'm not very familiar with them), but bite force; they have a tremendously powerful bite that does a lot of damage. They also keep a grip in a way a lot of other breeds don't; once a bull breed has hold of something in an attack, you can't get them off :(

The trouble with pitbulls and the like, IMHO, is not so much a matter of temperament (although they might be more inclined to attack because of their breed's history, I'm not very familiar with them), but bite force; they have a tremendously powerful bite that does a lot of damage. They also keep a grip in a way a lot of other breeds don't; once a bull breed has hold of something in an attack, you can't get them off :(
I would also factor in the kind of people who tend to own them.

The “It’s not a pit bull, officer, it’s a Staffie: Completely different…” kind of dog has just cost me money: l rent out my late dad’s bungalow. My current tenant is a nice chap who often had his little daughter staying with him. Although the garden fence was recent, well-built and in good repair, the next door neighbour has two “not pit bulls”, and my tenant was nervous about letting his daughter play in the garden.

Result? l’ve paid our tradesman to drive over there and raise the top of the fence by a couple of feet. Like the “Eeevil landlord” that l am.

:rolleyes:

maximus otter

NO dog is 100% safe. Either with children or with adults. I've got a Patterdale and, whilst she is usually a cuddly little bundle of yap, she is extremely instinct driven and will chase anything that moves. She will also sit at the window and get thoroughly wound up by anything passing outside that she feels she should be chasing but is prevented from doing so (by being inside and, often, several hundred yards away). When she's wound up, she will bite.
She doesn't bite me, because a) she knows better and b) I know when she's wound up and calm her down. But anyone trying to get between her and her object of chase is very liable to get bitten. In consequence, she is very hard work, but I adore her. But so many people think she's small and cute and try to touch her, even when she's leaping about at the end of a lead. And this is why more people get bitten by small dogs than very big ones - they think small dogs are less liable to attack. But any breed that runs almost entirely on instinct can and will attack.

Also, working dogs that are not allowed to do what they've been bred for centuries purely to do, can really be savage. I know my dog was bred to chase and kill rats and foxes, and try to keep her really well exercised to sublimate the urge to chase and kill, but it also means I can't have a cat. Or chickens. Or any other animals...

NO dog is 100% safe. Either with children or with adults. I've got a Patterdale and, whilst she is usually a cuddly little bundle of yap, she is extremely instinct driven and will chase anything that moves. She will also sit at the window and get thoroughly wound up by anything passing outside that she feels she should be chasing but is prevented from doing so (by being inside and, often, several hundred yards away). When she's wound up, she will bite.
She doesn't bite me, because a) she knows better and b) I know when she's wound up and calm her down. But anyone trying to get between her and her object of chase is very liable to get bitten. In consequence, she is very hard work, but I adore her. But so many people think she's small and cute and try to touch her, even when she's leaping about at the end of a lead. And this is why more people get bitten by small dogs than very big ones - they think small dogs are less liable to attack. But any breed that runs almost entirely on instinct can and will attack.

Also, working dogs that are not allowed to do what they've been bred for centuries purely to do, can really be savage. I know my dog was bred to chase and kill rats and foxes, and try to keep her really well exercised to sublimate the urge to chase and kill, but it also means I can't have a cat. Or chickens. Or any other animals...
My parents have a Parsons Jack Russell. She is a prolific catcher of squirrels,rabbits and birds. If she has caught something and you try to take it she will bite you. She is not giving it up for anything.

My parents have a Parsons Jack Russell. She is a prolific catcher of squirrels,rabbits and birds. If she has caught something and you try to take it she will bite you. She is not giving it up for anything.
The Patterdale will, to her credit, let me take away her kills. She doesn't like it, but she lets me. I always say that she'll keep me from starvation if things go completely mammaries skyward.

The Patterdale will, to her credit, let me take away her kills. She doesn't like it, but she lets me. I always say that she'll keep me from starvation if things go completely mammaries skyward.
I think if things did go “mammaries skyward” she’d let me starve.

My cousin and I were discussing the pro’s and cons of different breeds. As a former police dog handler he has had nothing but German Shepherds until very recently when he opted for a retriever as a replacement for his last GS. He commented that in the 25 years he was a dog handler he was never once bitten by his own GS dogs, yet knowing we have springer spaniels, he told us the spaniel handlers were forever getting bitten by the springers and cockers.

All my dogs have been terriers or lurchers (at least, if you accept a schnauzer is a sort of German terrier). I've scars all over my hands from training terriers. I've never been bitten by a lurcher.

My cousin and I were discussing the pro’s and cons of different breeds. As a former police dog handler he has had nothing but German Shepherds until very recently when he opted for a retriever as a replacement for his last GS. He commented that in the 25 years he was a dog handler he was never once bitten by his own GS dogs, yet knowing we have springer spaniels, he told us the spaniel handlers were forever getting bitten by the springers and cockers.

Could it be because spaniels are hunting/retrieving dogs, while Sheps are herding/protecting dogs?

maximus otter

One of my son's recently adopted a rescue dog. Cross between a boxer and some other ferocious looking breed. She looks incredibly dangerous and people cross the road when she is being walked. It's a shame really because she actually loves people and the only danger you are in is being licked to death. But she is much too big and strong to have young kids around her.

The recent dog mauling in the UK is somewhat weird. Involving dachshunds and a cockapoo, okay, as well as what looks like a large Saint Bernard style dog.

The dog walker had eight dogs, seems they got tangled, panicked and then attacked the walker.

Reading it though, couldn't help conjuring a paranormal slant. Something malign in the woods causing animals to react aggressively. In one report it mentioned that a woman on a horse passing by the attack was thrown when her horse bolted.

Back