• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Photos You Need To Really Look At To Understand

FB_IMG_1675724514650.jpg

Look, this is how things are done here- if it's not awkward, incompetent or stupid it's not worth doing. That's why today, having had a full inch of snow, the whole town ground to a halt. Buses didn't turn up, traffic was at a standstill and it was chaos and anarchy all round. The dog and I even had to rescue a woman who had somehow got her van stuck across both lanes of the main road due to the horrendously 'deep' one inch snowdrift.
If that chest wasn't there, how on earth would you be able to stub your toe on it at 3am? Eh?
This is Britain woman- wheels fall off things, if the temperature goes below 5c or above 22c, we can't handle it, trains break down every 2 miles, everyone is an alcoholic, and we're taught how to stub your toe on furniture from a very early age. It should be an Olympic sport. We might win a few medals then.
A whole inch of snow? LOL, do you guys ever get a foot of snow?
We have been so lucky this winter, extremely warm here for wintertime, and no snow except for one dusting!

We have been so lucky this winter, extremely warm here for wintertime, and no snow except for one dusting!
A foot of snow? Ye gods, if that happened here along the UK's south coast we wouldn't know what to do. We actually had about 4" to 6" of snow over two days about 10 years ago and the place shut down for almost two weeks after as the temperature never really got above freezing. The main roads were eventually cleared. There was abandoned cars everywhere, No buses, no trains and food shops started running out of food. Some parts of Brighton next to the downs were cut off completely.

This winter has also been a bad one. I actually had to buy a can of de-icer for the windscreen to cope with the arctic weather when the temperature hit minus 2C. We get it rough here sometimes.

We used to get real snow back in the day in the UK - these pics are from the winter of 1962-1963 and they predate me...

Not sure how we'd cope these days!!

DMR_NEC_170917bus_04.jpg

Attachments

• Digging-out-a-stranded-train-near-Grantown-on-Spey-near-Inverness.jpg
    Digging-out-a-stranded-train-near-Grantown-on-Spey-near-Inverness.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 14
We used to get real snow back in the day in the UK - these pics are from the winter of 1962-1963 and they predate me...

Not sure how we'd cope these days!!

View attachment 63261
Wow - and I can recall getting about 2 feet one winter about ten years ago in drifts, and then another foot on top of it.
That is rare though, usually maybe 5 or 6 inches at once.
When we dig out our cars, we have to put a trash can or something in our parking spot, due to lack of parking. You don't want to dig out your car for a few hours and then someone takes your spot and you have to dig out another one! :)

I remember it well! Cycling three and a half miles to school through snow drifts taller than me, fighting over a spot around the radiator when I got there. It was tricky for cars to drive through the village as us youngsters had made a brilliant slide down the middle of it. Ah those were the days!

Wow - and I can recall getting about 2 feet one winter about ten years ago in drifts, and then another foot on top of it.
That is rare though, usually maybe 5 or 6 inches at once.
When we dig out our cars, we have to put a trash can or something in our parking spot, due to lack of parking. You don't want to dig out your car for a few hours and then someone takes your spot and you have to dig out another one! :)
If that happens, the best spot to put the snow is in the old spot... :sneaky2::sneaky2:

Back