• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Alien Big Cats ('ABCs')

In your opinion what are alien big cats most likely to be?

• Escapees from collections, breeding in the UK countryside

Votes: 57 48.3%
  • A species of endemic British big cat somehow overlooked by science

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zooform Phenomena - animal-shaped manifestations of paranormal activity

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • Misidentifications of big dogs, normal cats etc

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • A big hoax

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Summat else

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • All of the above

Votes: 23 19.5%

• Total voters
@lordmongrove Just checked the CFZ blog but this case hasn't featured yet. Wondered what your thoughts are? It is certainly a decent size and unusual in several ways. Doesn't look like CGI (frankly too mundane). I do wish witnesses such as this would contact the CFZ or a similar organisation rather than going to the Mail, Mirror, Star or Sun etc. as immediately monetary gain becomes a factor and it could very well be his own exotic breed of cat that he has 'chanced upon'.
Hi mate, not see it yet. I've been away from home and computer for a month looking after my ill grandad.
Looks like a bengal or savannha cat with a docked tail.

New Forest lynx sighting from 2018:

"At the northern end of that wood, about 5 years ago, I was walking a good few yards in front of my wife and cautiously approached a fence which separated the wood from the surrounding gorsey scrub. I looked out hoping to catch something by surprise - and I did. about 30 metre away, a tawny cat sensed me and ran for cover into the bushes. It looked as big as a roe door, but not a roe deer, chunky with big paws rather than delicate hooves and lower legs; it ran obliquely away so I did not get a good view of the head, but there was no long neck as in a deer and the head was not held upright as you would expect from a startled deer. It definitely was not a dog, being entirey the wrong shape, with the the short thick tail of a Lynx, and it bounded away rather than ran. It was a clear bright day in May and visibility was excellent."

https://truthproof.uk/Reports2/reprt207.html

"At the northern end of that wood, about 5 years ago, I was walking a good few yards in front of my wife and cautiously approached a fence which separated the wood from the surrounding gorsey scrub. I looked out hoping to catch something by surprise - and I did. about 30 metre away, a tawny cat sensed me and ran for cover into the bushes. It looked as big as a roe door, but not a roe deer, chunky with big paws rather than delicate hooves and lower legs; it ran obliquely away so I did not get a good view of the head, but there was no long neck as in a deer and the head was not held upright as you would expect from a startled deer. It definitely was not a dog, being entirey the wrong shape, with the the short thick tail of a Lynx, and it bounded away rather than ran. It was a clear bright day in May and visibility was excellent."

That sounds more-or-less exactly like the one I came across in Scotland. Only difference is it didn't see me, appeared to be a bit of an old cat, and strolled along up a dry river/burn bed in between the rocks. Very strong obviously muscley legs too, and growl to match.

Just a question, is the lynx considered extinct in UK? We have them here, but sightings are rare because of lynx's nature.

Just a question, is the lynx considered extinct in UK? We have them here, but sightings are rare because of lynx's nature.
Yes, believed extinct in the UK around 1300 years ago, the last ones in Scotland. The youngest bone found is 1500 years old.

Last edited:
And more 'definitive' evidence of a big cat from our local paper's website.

Well, when I say definitive, I see a super-blurry black blob largely hidden by trees (and this is indistinct even compared with the usual shoddy standard!). That said, the story does go on to say in relation to fur found on a barb wire fence a few miles away: 'A forensic laboratory took on the species identification task and used mitochondrial DNA analysis to ascertain a 99 per cent match to a big cat species.'

That's more impressive but is lacking in detail and related to an upcoming documentary on alien big cats.

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/big-cat-experts-share-definitive-8587149

So yes, extinct as a breeding population however there have been escapees shot by landowners (one found by the Police in a Norfolk gamekeepers chest freezer)

As ever, I believe many big black puma-like cat sightings are paranormal and have been witnessed in association with UFOs and bipedal cryptids here in the UK and elsewhere (eg Yowies and big black puma-like cats)

Last edited:

Does this new dossier prove big cats ARE on the prowl in Scotland?

Details of a number of sightings of big cats have been released by the makers of an upcoming documentary, suggesting that the thorny issue of whether or not panthers, lynx and black leopards roam Scotland has been taken seriously by several official bodies.

Researchers obtained 86 pages of correspondence and pictures under freedom of information laws from Police Scotland, the Scottish Government and NatureScot.

They include tantalising reports about spates of livestock killings where sheep carcasses were stripped of meat in a way which didn’t resemble fox or bird attacks, and one officer who recorded three to four sightings of a big cat.

Scottish Natural Heritage (SNH) recorded a description of a big cat ‘the size of a Labrador’ which killed 36 sheep between August 2015 and January 2016, described as ‘black or black/brown depending on the light’ and ‘panther/melanistic leopard’.

In April 2019, the charity Scottish Wildcat Action was told of a ‘lynx type cat’ near Montrose.

‘The body was about the size of my female black lab,’ the sender of an email said.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...tings-wildlife-experts-big-cats-Scotland.html

maximus otter

Here we go then . . . :)

Now I Know My A B C

In the spring of 1999 I decided a short holiday was in order. I'd not long moved to a charming and haunted house in Crumpsall with a friend, where we'd spent all winter hibernating – me with the usual aches and pains, he with the miseries from lack of direction since he'd dropped out of University at the start of the last semester. As luck would have it another friend, Vince, fancied a change of scene and, as the place had always fascinated me and I'd never been, I suggested a visit to Cornwall might be fun and he agreed.

After perusing a number of brochures (no internet then!) I decided to book us both into a self-catering holiday village just outside St Ives for two weeks in May. It would be an eight hour trip involving three trains and two taxis but I, at least, viewed the trip as adventure into the land of mysteries as Cornwall is host to so many legends, strange sightings and residents who still practice the Old Religion, including some (in single figures) who speak Cornish and refuse to recognise the British monarchy.

So it was we arrived at the holiday village on a late, warm afternoon and collected our keys and a map of the surrounding area. There was everything you could need for a quiet week or two – mini-market, pool, even a kids' adventure club led by someone dressed as a fox which gave the area a suitably “Wicker Man” feel.

The chalet we were allocated was a cute, single-storey building whose russet brick and natural timbers blended well with the woodlands in which it was set. There were around twenty of these, each with its own porch and pathways which linked to all parts of the site without looking too deliberately cultivated. Sounds of a brook which ran parallel with the golf course provided a soothing backdrop to the scene and typical English wildlife could be spotted dashing in and out of the trees – grey squirrels, badgers, various families of birds and . . . . what else?

We were about half way through the holiday and decided we couldn't be bothered cooking one evening and after hanging around watching TV and reading until around 9.45 I volunteered to go to the chip shop – as I said, the site had one of everything in miniature – while Vince would borrow a corkscrew from the woman next door as ours had broken and we fancied a glass of wine.

It was quite dark out but lit with street lamps dotted around the site so I wasn't concerned for my safety and set off.

Returning with the hot food in a carrier bag I traced the footpath to our chalet and, when I was around 50 yards away was startled to see the silhouette, a deeper black against the darkness, of a dog (I assumed) or other largish mammal dart across from right to left across the front of the chalet and then behind the bushes that adorned its front. This took place in the matter of a couple of seconds and in that time I thought: I'm nervous of dogs; I hope it's a nice one; dogs aren't allowed here off a leash; the only dog we've seen so far is a Yorkshire terrier; that tail isn't canine.

Shaking, I unlocked the front door and closed it firmly. Vince emerged from his bedroom at the back of the chalet, wide-eyed. “My God, am I glad you're back!” he exclaimed. “What's up?”, I replied, “You look scared half to death!” Now this is a tough gay guy who can kill with the lift of an eyebrow and takes no prisoners.

I'll paraphrase what he said in response as, typically of people who experience high weirdness there was no tape-recorder at hand and, even if I'd had a camera ready and poised it would have been impossible to catch an image of the creature as it ran.

“I was sitting on the couch, just dozing a bit when I heard a really loud rustling sound from that big tree at the back (this was a huge one that overshadowed the chalet, dipping almost to the roof). It didn't sound like the wind and it's such a calm night – you can't have wind like that blowing in isolation. I hoped it wasn't a peeping tom or someone planning to break in and was just getting up the nerve to take a look when there was this awful crash – REALLY loud like someone (or something) had just dropped to the ground. But there was no sound of anyone running away. It really freaked me out. I swear something was up there.”

Taking a deep breath and exhaling slowly I told him of my sighting just a few seconds ago and we spent most of supper-time discussing it and it gradually dawned on us both that the shadow had not been that of a dog at all.

Now Cornwall and the West Country in general is known for sightings of big cats that have no business being there (Alien Big Cats or ABCs for short) and reports come in regularly to internet groups and publications from the Fortean times to Cat Monthly. The most prevalent theory for their existence is that colonies of big cats – panthers, cougars and so on - have continued to breed after release from private menageries when the law for keeping wild animals as pets was changed. This sounds feasible to me; as a cat keeper myself (of the small variety) I know how discreet and solitary cats can be. If they don't want you to see them, you won't; it's as if they have a cloaking device.

The shape I saw moved at a heck of a speed and with determination; it wasn't dawdling or hanging around looking for prey. There were plenty of small mammals it could have fed on round about – rabbits, squirrels – even deer in a nearby park. The stream would provide drinkable water and the forest plenty of coverage.

According to my estimates – based on both memory and photographs of the chalet – it would have been around 28 inches in height from the floor to the back; any higher and its back would have visible over the bushes, any shorter its legs would have seemed out of proportion.

The tail would have been about 16 – 18 inches long from base to tip. It was smooth and came to a point. It was held in a straight line, parallel with the ground.

The animal was silent; there was no sound of claws on the gravel as there would be with a dog which cannot retract its claws while walking.

It appeared utterly black – no hint of colour revealed by the moonlight, no brindle or patches – just like a black silhouette brought to life.

I do not believe it was a trick of the light – my fight, flight or freeze response kicked in immediately as it should in the presence of an unknown creature.

My friend's reaction to an appropriate event so close to the time does, I believe give extra weight to the validity of this being an Alien Big Cat encounter.

So now I really DO know my “ABCs”! I'm just glad fish and chips were not on the menu that night . . .

Here we go then . . . :)

Now I Know My A B C

In the spring of 1999 I decided a short holiday was in order. I'd not long moved to a charming and haunted house in Crumpsall with a friend, where we'd spent all winter hibernating – me with the usual aches and pains, he with the miseries from lack of direction since he'd dropped out of University at the start of the last semester. As luck would have it another friend, Vince, fancied a change of scene and, as the place had always fascinated me and I'd never been, I suggested a visit to Cornwall might be fun and he agreed.

After perusing a number of brochures (no internet then!) I decided to book us both into a self-catering holiday village just outside St Ives for two weeks in May. It would be an eight hour trip involving three trains and two taxis but I, at least, viewed the trip as adventure into the land of mysteries as Cornwall is host to so many legends, strange sightings and residents who still practice the Old Religion, including some (in single figures) who speak Cornish and refuse to recognise the British monarchy.

So it was we arrived at the holiday village on a late, warm afternoon and collected our keys and a map of the surrounding area. There was everything you could need for a quiet week or two – mini-market, pool, even a kids' adventure club led by someone dressed as a fox which gave the area a suitably “Wicker Man” feel.

The chalet we were allocated was a cute, single-storey building whose russet brick and natural timbers blended well with the woodlands in which it was set. There were around twenty of these, each with its own porch and pathways which linked to all parts of the site without looking too deliberately cultivated. Sounds of a brook which ran parallel with the golf course provided a soothing backdrop to the scene and typical English wildlife could be spotted dashing in and out of the trees – grey squirrels, badgers, various families of birds and . . . . what else?

We were about half way through the holiday and decided we couldn't be bothered cooking one evening and after hanging around watching TV and reading until around 9.45 I volunteered to go to the chip shop – as I said, the site had one of everything in miniature – while Vince would borrow a corkscrew from the woman next door as ours had broken and we fancied a glass of wine.

It was quite dark out but lit with street lamps dotted around the site so I wasn't concerned for my safety and set off.

Returning with the hot food in a carrier bag I traced the footpath to our chalet and, when I was around 50 yards away was startled to see the silhouette, a deeper black against the darkness, of a dog (I assumed) or other largish mammal dart across from right to left across the front of the chalet and then behind the bushes that adorned its front. This took place in the matter of a couple of seconds and in that time I thought: I'm nervous of dogs; I hope it's a nice one; dogs aren't allowed here off a leash; the only dog we've seen so far is a Yorkshire terrier; that tail isn't canine.

Shaking, I unlocked the front door and closed it firmly. Vince emerged from his bedroom at the back of the chalet, wide-eyed. “My God, am I glad you're back!” he exclaimed. “What's up?”, I replied, “You look scared half to death!” Now this is a tough gay guy who can kill with the lift of an eyebrow and takes no prisoners.

I'll paraphrase what he said in response as, typically of people who experience high weirdness there was no tape-recorder at hand and, even if I'd had a camera ready and poised it would have been impossible to catch an image of the creature as it ran.

“I was sitting on the couch, just dozing a bit when I heard a really loud rustling sound from that big tree at the back (this was a huge one that overshadowed the chalet, dipping almost to the roof). It didn't sound like the wind and it's such a calm night – you can't have wind like that blowing in isolation. I hoped it wasn't a peeping tom or someone planning to break in and was just getting up the nerve to take a look when there was this awful crash – REALLY loud like someone (or something) had just dropped to the ground. But there was no sound of anyone running away. It really freaked me out. I swear something was up there.”

Taking a deep breath and exhaling slowly I told him of my sighting just a few seconds ago and we spent most of supper-time discussing it and it gradually dawned on us both that the shadow had not been that of a dog at all.

Now Cornwall and the West Country in general is known for sightings of big cats that have no business being there (Alien Big Cats or ABCs for short) and reports come in regularly to internet groups and publications from the Fortean times to Cat Monthly. The most prevalent theory for their existence is that colonies of big cats – panthers, cougars and so on - have continued to breed after release from private menageries when the law for keeping wild animals as pets was changed. This sounds feasible to me; as a cat keeper myself (of the small variety) I know how discreet and solitary cats can be. If they don't want you to see them, you won't; it's as if they have a cloaking device.

The shape I saw moved at a heck of a speed and with determination; it wasn't dawdling or hanging around looking for prey. There were plenty of small mammals it could have fed on round about – rabbits, squirrels – even deer in a nearby park. The stream would provide drinkable water and the forest plenty of coverage.

According to my estimates – based on both memory and photographs of the chalet – it would have been around 28 inches in height from the floor to the back; any higher and its back would have visible over the bushes, any shorter its legs would have seemed out of proportion.

The tail would have been about 16 – 18 inches long from base to tip. It was smooth and came to a point. It was held in a straight line, parallel with the ground.

The animal was silent; there was no sound of claws on the gravel as there would be with a dog which cannot retract its claws while walking.

It appeared utterly black – no hint of colour revealed by the moonlight, no brindle or patches – just like a black silhouette brought to life.

I do not believe it was a trick of the light – my fight, flight or freeze response kicked in immediately as it should in the presence of an unknown creature.

My friend's reaction to an appropriate event so close to the time does, I believe give extra weight to the validity of this being an Alien Big Cat encounter.

So now I really DO know my “ABCs”! I'm just glad fish and chips were not on the menu that night . . .
Just a pity you hadn't explored for any evidence of whatever 'it' might have been - like, when 'it sounded like it crashed to the ground' to start with, it may have left prints in the ground. 'Darting into the bushes' - it may have left some evidence of hair?
Certainly sounds like an unusual encounter, especially as there were two of you which had different sights & sounds of whatever this was.

Just a pity you hadn't explored for any evidence of whatever 'it' might have been - like, when 'it sounded like it crashed to the ground' to start with, it may have left prints in the ground. 'Darting into the bushes' - it may have left some evidence of hair?
Certainly sounds like an unusual encounter, especially as there were two of you which had different sights & sounds of whatever this was.

There was no way either of us was going outside again that night and the next day, as with most weird events, we'd just dismissed it as "one of those things"!

Clearest Ever Photo of Big Cat in British Countryside

‘Documentary makers have discovered what they claim is the ‘clearest ever’ photo of a big cat prowling the British countryside.

The picture of the large panther-like creature was discovered in the files of a zoology organization.

It shows a large muscular black cat lying in long grass in Smallthorne, Staffordshire.

The photo was accompanied by a handwritten note dated March 17 - but it is unclear is which year it was taken.

Experts say if genuine it is ‘’probably the best photo of a British big cat that exists’’.

Clearest Ever Photo of Big Cat in British Countryside

‘Documentary makers have discovered what they claim is the ‘clearest ever’ photo of a big cat prowling the British countryside.

The picture of the large panther-like creature was discovered in the files of a zoology organization.

It shows a large muscular black cat lying in long grass in Smallthorne, Staffordshire.

The photo was accompanied by a handwritten note dated March 17 - but it is unclear is which year it was taken.

Experts say if genuine it is ‘’probably the best photo of a British big cat that exists’’.
Not so sure about that photo. Looks like a furry toy, the eyes look wrong as well.

Hmmm... Could have been taken in a zoo enclosure or even be a stuffed toy as @Stillill suggests. As ever the details of the photo are vague, so we don't have a location never mind a year.

Hmmm... Could have been taken in a zoo enclosure or even be a stuffed toy as @Stillill suggests. As ever the details of the photo are vague, so we don't have a location never mind a year.
Check out the comments from . . . 'Indy70' (on Pinterest), not sure if 'his, or her' analysis is absolutely correct though, or whether it just so happens to be a very close likeness (*Though not according to the surrounding grasses/scene, etc?)
*Note: The depth of the eye is greater; the grasses are in a different place (could have used present CG, and colour tinting/blurring influences, etc).

Last edited:
Back