• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Alien Big Cats ('ABCs')

In your opinion what are alien big cats most likely to be?

• Escapees from collections, breeding in the UK countryside

Votes: 57 48.3%
  • A species of endemic British big cat somehow overlooked by science

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zooform Phenomena - animal-shaped manifestations of paranormal activity

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • Misidentifications of big dogs, normal cats etc

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • A big hoax

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Summat else

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • All of the above

Votes: 23 19.5%

• Total voters
I'm unclear what the relevance of large mountain lions in their native habitat has for this thread. It doesn't follow that ABCs are in the UK. The size of pumas in the Rocky Mountains is related to the cold.

Just for context, at least some of these photos were the result of organized hunts. Some use dogs. This is disturbing to me.

https://www.timberkingoutfitting.com/mountain-lion-hunts/
https://www.bullcreeklionhunts.com/

If a mountain lion is a threat to people or if they are causing a problem, then hunting it is justified. But treeing a cat and shooting it so you can act like you have a big **** by showing off the photos is off putting, to say the least.

I'm unclear what the relevance of large mountain lions in their native habitat has for this thread. It doesn't follow that ABCs are in the UK. The size of pumas in the Rocky Mountains is related to the cold.
That’s not actually correct,your on about Bergmanns rule,check out the size of some Californian cats (having lived there for a while I always wore shorts)and the climate and size of some cats on Vancouver island.

That’s not actually correct,your on about Bergmanns rule,check out the size of some Californian cats (having lived there for a while I always wore shorts)and the climate and size of some cats on Vancouver island.
Generally, they will be larger in the colder climates.
"Mountain lions vary hugely in average body size depending on geographic location—their size is smallest closer to the equator and largest closer to the poles. Generally, though, males weigh between 115 and 220 pounds (52 and 100 kilograms) and females weigh between 64 and 141 pounds (29 and 64 kilograms)."
https://www.nwf.org/Educational-Resources/Wildlife-Guide/Mammals/Mountain-Lion

It has zero to do with your choice of pants.

Generally, they will be larger in the colder climates.
"Mountain lions vary hugely in average body size depending on geographic location—their size is smallest closer to the equator and largest closer to the poles. Generally, though, males weigh between 115 and 220 pounds (52 and 100 kilograms) and females weigh between 64 and 141 pounds (29 and 64 kilograms)."
https://www.nwf.org/Educational-Resources/Wildlife-Guide/Mammals/Mountain-Lion

It has zero to do with your choice of pants.
So no big mountain lion in California or Vancouver island with a similar climate to the UK eh?The pics I put up were to show a big tom mountain lion,Bergman law “Closer to the equator” Vancouver island is further south than London UK so those pics I posted would be relevant IF a population of mountain lion existed in the UK which they don’t (no proof whatsoever).

I'm unclear what the relevance of large mountain lions in their native habitat has for this thread………The size of pumas in the Rocky Mountains is related to the cold.
The relevance is if cats existed in the UK they could realistically be that size,the uk is further north than where this cat was shot.
283A8CED-7C58-4326-8DC6-8A9733A3CE82.jpeg
D5777023-0C7E-4668-AD9B-311719A9D126.jpeg
4F937334-B66A-4E65-9495-A5BC04363DCC.jpeg

An article about the hunt for the 'Beast of Exmoor' back in the 1980s. The location would have been along the old railway between Barnstaple and Taunton, probably near East Anstey.

This is interesting as no body was found and I'm not sure what he meant by "the whole valley seemed to light up". Holden was a Royal Marine and Lay the farmer who lost over 100 sheep:

"Mr Holden said the group set up an observation post overlooking a lonely valley, criss-crossed by a disused railway and a river."

"Holden said: 'All I could hear [the instructor] sayin was, "I can see something". He let rip with his rifle and the whole valley seemed to light up.'

The troupe felt sure they had caught the animal, although no body was ever found. For a few years afterwards, the farmers of Devon enjoyed a period of relative peace.

Mr Lay said: 'From that moment on, I never had anymore problems.'"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-sightings-reports-far-Henry-VIIIs-reign.html

It is possible he meant all the other Royal marines started firing but unlikely as this was farmland and not a military range and they were using sniper rifles specifically to avoid injury to humans or farm animals, so was something paranormal afoot...?

View attachment 72051

I can't at the moment find out how many Marines were deployed but it is a true story and photos were taken as above.

From the left:

a) L1A1 SLR with IWS night sight

b) L42A1 sniper rifle

c) As (a)

d) L1A1 SLR with SUIT sight

maximus otter

I am still puzzled slightly by the fact that all the ABCs that are seen tend to be muscular and fit. Why is nobody seeing lame cats? Or thin, sick looking cats? They ought, behaviourally, be the easiest to see, slower moving and more likely to be hanging around near humans - but they all seem to be reported as glossy, muscular, sleek creatures.
How do they survive the winter? Most sheep are brought down to lowland pasture and cows are not outside but like you say they all seem to be the picture of health, which is a major clue that they are not of this world, I mean they even behave like so many other aspects of Fortean Phenomena, they are so ambiguous just like Fairies, UFO's etc

lmagine that’s your Ring doorbell.

maximus otter
But if I chose to live in an area that has them what can I expect? I suspect the population just matches the amount of food available like it does with Fox's

But if I chose to live in an area that has them what can I expect? I suspect the population just matches the amount of food available like it does with Fox's
There’s a guesstimated 24 mountain lion living in and on the fringes of LA.

There’s so many big cats wandering the UK countryside this “British big cat” group fly-posted woodlands desperate for sightings and reports :chuckle: View attachment 72055
It's a shame that they haven't quantified 'big cat'. I mean, my neighbour down at the farm has a bloody enormous tom cat, so, yes, I have seen a big cat. Anomalous? Nope, he's just a domestic moggy, but big - good lord, yes.

How do they survive the winter? Most sheep are brought down to lowland pasture and cows are not outside but like you say they all seem to be the picture of health,
Snow leopard would survive and thrive in UK winters,and the UK has a huge cervid population.I read of a guy who said he saw a cheetah walk across a field in Surrey of all places.

There’s a guesstimated 24 mountain lion living in and on the fringes of LA.
Not really Alien though are they?
Snow leopard would survive and thrive in UK winters,and the UK has a huge cervid population.I read of a guy who said he saw a cheetah walk across a field in Surrey of all places.
Tigers could do quite nicely as well. I’d put the chances of a Snow Leopard being on the loose in the UK at even less than a melanistic big cat.

I've got a little book called the Beast Of Exmoor by Trevor Beer which is packed with stories of sightings of big cats on Exmoor, and north and mid-Devon. He mentions a bit about the marines but doesn't say how many where involved.

I've actually seen a big cat myself on two occasions, I'll post some details about that later when I get time. These creatures are certainly very elusive and I used to think they were probably a paranormal phenomenon but having encountered them myself I'm not quite so sure now.

I've got a little book called the Beast Of Exmoor by Trevor Beer which is packed with stories of sightings of big cats on Exmoor, and north and mid-Devon. He mentions a bit about the marines but doesn't say how many where involved.

I've actually seen a big cat myself on two occasions, I'll post some details about that later when I get time. These creatures are certainly very elusive and I used to think they were probably a paranormal phenomenon but having encountered them myself I'm not quite so sure now.
In terms of the phenomena it's doing what its meant to do, by looking very real, but then disappearing without trace, may be leave some ambiguous evidence behind, what you saw and other people have seen are very real just not real in the sense of physical flesh and blood creatures, they generally behave in the the exact same way as other aspects of this phenomena behave, like appearing to people who are on their own or a couple, appearing in out of the way places, leaving very ambiguous evidence, the inability of anyone to get a very close and clear photograph of one, bordering upon the believable (now if it was a sabra toothed tiger people would never believe in them ) you could say that whatever it is it likes having fun with us

In terms of the phenomena it's doing what its meant to do, by looking very real, but then disappearing without trace, may be leave some ambiguous evidence behind, what you saw and other people have seen are very real just not real in the sense of physical flesh and blood creatures, they generally behave in the the exact same way as other aspects of this phenomena behave, like appearing to people who are on their own or a couple, appearing in out of the way places, leaving very ambiguous evidence, the inability of anyone to get a very close and clear photograph of one, bordering upon the believable (now if it was a sabra toothed tiger people would never believe in them ) you could say that whatever it is it likes having fun with us
Yes I must admit their elusiveness is bordering on the supernatural. I'm still open to the paranormal theory.

you know for many years I was firmly convinced in physical ABCs, lake monsters, Bigfoot etc and yet now, with one or two exceptions like the Almasty I'm really tending towards the "paranormal" explanation.
If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck you can only presume it's a duck

The physical explanation is easier to explain and understand, until it's given some close scrutiny it then stars to fall apart

For the record I am not doubting that people have seen Black Panthers roaming the bucolic British countryside and most people can tell the difference between them and a cat or dog, it's just that they are not physical Black Panthers it's just another manifestation of god knows what

you know for many years I was firmly convinced in physical ABCs, lake monsters, Bigfoot etc and yet now, with one or two exceptions like the Almasty I'm really tending towards the "paranormal" explanation.
The thing is I have been in real big cat country,many times,you find genuine sign,irrefutably cat,pugs faeces scent marking trees and rocks,there are cats there.UK however nada,and I have a thermal monocular hunter/lamped since I was a kid,I know what genuine signs look and smell like but seen zero in the uk from Caithness down to Dorset.There’s something that paranormal fits as physical doesn’t.

We tend to assume that in the past when people believed in the supernatural they did accept it wasn't 'real'. But I don't think they necessarily did. The incidents where they encountered it will have been real and the creatures would have seemed solid. Else why get scared by Black Shuck or the Red Caps if you 'know' they're phantoms? People in the stories may not have tried to ride a Pooka if they thought they couldn't get on it. Maybe it wasn't just stories.... The ABCs may be very real looking and feeling supernatural beings?

Yet another evidence-free 'news' piece on our local rag's terrible website.

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/local-news/big-cat-hit-vehicle-motorway-8980836

Dead big cat on the M5, apparently, and only one person saw it, and nobody took a picture on their mobile as they passed.

Yeah, right.

But that's because, as Wildlife expert and taxidermist Jon McGowan (of Panthera Britannia Declassified fame) is quoted as saying: "Big cats are killed on British roads more commonly than you might think. The authorities have been known to send out teams of people in unmarked vehicles to recover the dead bodies of cats killed on our roads before the press or witnesses can record the evidence."

Yeah, right!

Another load of old bollocks, I'd respectfully suggest...

But that's because, as Wildlife expert and taxidermist Jon McGowan (of Panthera Britannia Declassified fame) is quoted as saying: "Big cats are killed on British roads more commonly than you might think. The authorities have been known to send out teams of people in unmarked vehicles
Unmarked vehicles???The last time Mr McGowan found a 9 foot long dead cat on the roadside the authorities sent out military TANKS to remove the cadaver :chuckle: :rofl:

Unmarked vehicles???The last time Mr McGowan found a 9 foot long dead cat on the roadside the authorities sent out military TANKS to remove the cadaver :chuckle: :rofl:
Whereas I'm picturing a black unmarked Torchwood-style SUV driven by Captain Jack Harkness.

Frankly, it's about as believable...!

Whereas I'm picturing a black unmarked Torchwood-style SUV driven by Captain Jack Harkness.

Frankly, it's about as believable...!
He was stalked by a puma in Dorset earlier this year,used to have aliens beam down to his bedroom to chat about world affairs (I kid you not)got photos of spaceships that look like camper-vans,seen litters of leopard cubs in the wild in the UK………..::

Back