• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Owzabout That Then? The Jimmy Savile Revelations & Aftermath

New plan to demolish Savile's highland home
New plan to tear down Jimmy Savile cottage in Glen Coe
Published
2 hours ago

Related Topics
Jimmy Savile sexual abuse scandal

By Steven McKenzie
BBC Scotland Highlands and Islands reporter
Revised plans have been drawn up to demolish the former Highland home of paedophile TV presenter Jimmy Savile.

Savile, uncovered as one of Britain's most prolific sex offenders, lived in the Allt-na-Reigh cottage in Glen Coe from 1998 until his death in 2011.

The property has become an eyesore and has been vandalised ever since details of Savile's abuse emerged following his death at the age of 84.

The new owner plans to replace it with another house.

Harris Aslam, boss of Kirkcaldy-based convenience stores business Greens Retail Ltd, said feedback from the local community and other organisations had guided the design of the revised proposals.

His planning application has been submitted to Highland Council.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-67308384

It doesnt matter, does it, Not like anyone from the BBC live in the Highlands.

Can we tear down Alan Partridge’s Travelodge? I only ask as I’m not sure how to approach Christmas these days and our chef in the canteen is already doing Christmas songs and I’m sure I heard Another Rock N Roll Christmas by Gary Glitter. Should I inform HR?

(And I haven’t even set a banger off yet.)

Came across this piece from 2011 on the respectable RTÉ (Irish news) website. It hasn't aged well.

Remembering Jimmy Savile: 1926-2011

In that same interview the indefatigable, irresistible and seemingly invincible JS spoke about growing old (he was 73 at the time). "I once said to a girl, 'I'm older than your grandfather.' And she says, 'Well I love him as well.' I say, 'Good-oh, but I'm still too old for you', and she says, 'No, you're not because you're ageless, you're you.' Now that didn't come from me, it comes from someone else. So when people say to me, 'Don't you think you're too old to do this?', I say I'm doing what I'm doing cos I'm having a good time and why don't you piss off to leave me to do it."

Not only did Jimmy Savile have a good time but he also gave countless others a good time.

He was for real and he will be missed.

Came across this piece from 2011 on the respectable RTÉ (Irish news) website. It hasn't aged well.

Remembering Jimmy Savile: 1926-2011
Some young girls do 'hit on' older men .. I've had that happen to me sometimes and it's a skin crawling feeling .. on one side, it's a slightly flattering but then your brain wakes up, remember your old enough to be their Dad, they're only looking for validation that they're 'a woman now!" not a kid now .. "boys my age are boring! .. I prefer older men.". I think this is when men without any morals take advantage. Men have to politely shut that down without hurting a young woman's feelings at that point so it should be diplomatic .. "I won't patronise you, I know your not a kid anymore but I'm too old and I don't do that anymore." ....

That saves their ego ... and I do still enjoy sex but not with kids so I lied to her because I did patronise.

What we got in our Xmas stockings yesteryear...

FB_IMG_1703796852226.jpg

Which only demonstrates how widespread the wholesome image of these predators was. For those of us around in those days, we know but many now just cannot appreciate it.
Indeed. I think that especially in the 1970's there was a strange innocence surrounding the celebrity predators such as Glitter, Savile, Harris. They were supposedly family friendly entertainers. Also being on TV and radio ,people felt that they somehow 'knew' them and thought that they were safe.

I think I still have a copy of the Glitter Annual somewhere.
It’s not a great read.
Clearly the It’s A Knockout Annual’s claim to have the ‘Stories behind the scenes’ is a case where rigorous Christmas Annual journalism and editing could be called into question.

Last edited:
What we got in our Xmas stockings yesteryear...

View attachment 72517
Is this a UK thing? "Family friendly" entertainers who are later revealed to be paedos? I really can't think of anyone in Canada who ever was found to be this.

We had Mr. Dressup (Ernie Coombs) and Friendly Giant, though they acted with puppets, no kids on their shows. Even locally (meaning within an hour of my home) there was Kaptain Kangaroo, who did have kids on his show.

For the teenagers, there was Casey Kasem who did the Top '40's. No scandal there.:dunno:

Well I’m under no illusions it happens everywhere. And I’m pretty sure that mindset will gravitate to the largest area of opportunity. But Rolf, Jimmy and Stuart Hall were BBC. So licence payers - i.e. everyone in the UK who HAVE to pay the licence sponsored their deeds to some extent. And I hate the Beeb for that.

Well I’m under no illusions it happens everywhere. And I’m pretty sure that mindset will gravitate to the largest area of opportunity. But Rolf, Jimmy and Stuart Hall were BBC. So licence payers - i.e. everyone in the UK who HAVE to pay the licence sponsored their deeds to some extent. And I hate the Beeb for that.
And they still will not own up to their enabling, whether it was credulous innocence or deliberate exploitation.

I don't believe for a minute the exploitation has stopped. Just the obfuscation has become more sophisticated.

Maybe the BBC can be burned down alongside Twickenham.
BTW BBC 3 and 4Xtra are more my non advert loves atm ?

And they still will not own up to their enabling, whether it was credulous innocence or deliberate exploitation.

I don't believe for a minute the exploitation has stopped. Just the obfuscation has become more sophisticated.
I believe it to be much much more common and prevalent then we realised and always has been.

There are some Hollywood actors and music artists starting to say unsavoury and disturbing things about both industries.Then there's a list of 150 of Epsteins associates due to be released to the public in the new year. I know that doesn't make them guilty but it will mean that important questions will be asked.

Then there's a list of 150 of Epsteins associates due to be released to the public in the new year.
I'm looking forward to that. As you say; while it's not exactly a definitive list of hidden offenders, it'll stir things up somewhat. :nods:

The Epstein and especially Maxwell cases fascinated me.
Maxwell has now deservedly disappeared into the American prison system. We don't hear about her any more. She's sensibly keeping her head down.

I'm looking forward to that. As you say; while it's not exactly a definitive list of hidden offenders, it'll stir things up somewhat. :nods:

Maxwell has now deservedly disappeared into the American prison system. We don't hear about her any more. She's sensibly keeping her head down.
She's in a cell where the cameras work 24 hours a day. The question is was she forced or compromised into doing what she did or did she do it voluntarily? With Saville, there was no question it was his choice. With Maxwell?

There also a lot of investigation into other privately owned islands along the Pacific Ring and it looks like in the future there may be some other startling revelations.

What gets forgotten especially in the media, and with Saville, to a large extent, is the very real and traumatic suffering that has been caused to very real people. Rape of girls under age is one thing, that to my mind deserves the death sentence and not in 10 or 20 years time after loads of appeals, it need to be carried out the next sun rise, but child sex trafficking is another entirely.

Right, sorry, back on topic. Saville and the aftermath.

Shame she didn't disappear into the sewage system......

Back