• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. mikelegs

Weird Sex (Practices, Preferences & Accoutrements!)

A vuvuzela perhaps? Or maybe a cross between a tuba and a vuvuzela?
  2. mikelegs

Weird Bank Robbery Story

Thanks for reviving. I had forgotten all about this bizarre case. Having lived in PA at the time (far from Erie), I was fascinated by oddness of it all.
  3. mikelegs

Arachnophobia

Do you eat fruit?
  4. mikelegs

Weird Local Traditions

Speaking of local traditions, I'll just leave this here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mummers_Parade
  5. mikelegs

What's Your Jinx/What's Your Luck?

Can't it be both?
  6. mikelegs

Wow, it's good to be remembered! Thanks. I guess you could say that life just kind of happened. Yesterday I found myself searching the web for interesting/unexplained phenomena and wound up right back here at FTMB. It's just like I remembered it :) It's funny about the gambling because I...
  7. mikelegs

Boy who sleeps for months at a time is awake for first xmas in 4 years

http://metro.co.uk/2016/12/29/boy-12-who-sleeps-for-months-at-a-time-celebrates-first-christmas-awake-for-4-years-6349925/ On the bright side, this condition is supposed to abate after 10 years, according to Wikipedia.
  8. mikelegs

Was it called fecebook? More seriously, I have no luck in any games of chance. But growing up I had a friend whose entire family was lucky. They won the local lottery several times, he won raffles, entries at local fair's etc., most of which we both entered. I remember going over to his...
  9. mikelegs

Could Our Entire Universe Be Just a Mote in Someone Else's?

A couple of scattered thoughts. It occurred to me several years ago that if we could isolate the bare minimum of fundamental physical laws and particles, that they could then be easily programmed into a computer. Given sufficient computing resources, it would then make sense to simply populate...
  10. mikelegs

Life Outside. (Intelligent Life in the Universe?)

I imagine that the discovery of outside intelligent life would come in one of two forms: a communication signal, or the accidental discovery of a foreign probe... something along the lines of the Mars rovers. The thought of either occurrence is equally creepy to me. It would certainly change our...
  11. mikelegs

Life Outside. (Intelligent Life in the Universe?)

I would like to open up the age-old discussion on the possibility of extraterrestrial life. While I personally have doubts that anything (else) highly intelligent is roaming our solar system, I find the possibility of microbial life tantalizing - even if we find only fossils or traces. Will it...
  12. mikelegs

'Earworms' & Stuck-Tune Syndrome

associations I'm sure I mentioned this on another thread, but I used to get the 'Indiana Jones' theme stuck in my brain every time I ate an ice cream cone. Over several years the effect faded away, but I have no idea where the association came from. The way I get a bad catchy tune out of my...
  13. mikelegs

oh funny ha ha ...

You may want to check for smaller critters than cats. When I was younger there was an unexplained spate of ceramic figurine assassinations in my basement. A monkey, a cute little cow, a squirrel - all pushed off their surfaces onto the concrete floor. Turned out to be chipmunks or mice...
  14. mikelegs

Let's Storm Area 51!

Let me suggest a highly organized, single-celled attack on the facility. Several dozen volunteers will be outfitted as geeky UFO buffs and variously trespass in widely varying areas at staggered intervals. According to the literature of people who have drawn the attention of the facility, a...
  15. mikelegs

What Do You See With Your Eyes Shut? (Phosphenes)

This produces the same effect as what happens immediately before passing out. I have pretty low blood pressure, so I have to be wary of this. I often stand up too fast and lose my vision completely. Then if all the sounds fade and go far away then it's time to have a seat - quickly. I've...
  16. mikelegs

Singing in the shower/bath

Sometimes I try washing...
  17. mikelegs

Handwriting Analysis & Graphology

To this end I would like say that my roommate in college started a long distance 'correspondence' with a girl in South Carolina. When she sent him a letter he immediately noticed that her handwriting looked uncannily like my own. So much so that I was slightly disturbed when I saw it...
  18. mikelegs

IT DIDN'T HAPPEN TO ME

Thanks, Rynner. Always great to know my lack of presence didn't go entirely unnoticed.
  19. mikelegs

IT DIDN'T HAPPEN TO ME

Nothing more Fortean than a great coincidence here or there has ever happened to me. I think part of the problem is that conventional (objective) science is founded on repeatability. I sometimes wonder if it's possible that some of the situations we most often discuss, while being entirely...
  20. mikelegs

Stars In Their Eyes and the death of democracy

I highly recommend not owning a television. Then there is no need to worry about these things. And if you think about it logically, it's THE easy way out.... don't have to pay for cable or satellite (or the TV, of course!); don't have to figure out what shows are on when; don't have to mute...
  21. mikelegs

Was anyone else bugged during the 80s

I have a question. Besides the 'Don't say anything on the phone you wouldn't shout from the rooftops or mountain tops or whatever' what other advice do you all have for someone expecting to be under government surveillance? I don't believe I've ever been surveilled in the past, but it seems...
  22. mikelegs

'chipping '

If a monkey can play a computer game with his brain, then I don't see why we can't just mentally turn the chips on and off when we want. Ie, kid gets lost and turns his chip on. Kid sneaks away for the night and turns it off. And there could always be an override for anyone on probation. If...
  23. mikelegs

Let's play a little game...

The Dead Milkmen know all about conspiracy.
  24. mikelegs

Litigation Gone Mad?

The ridiculousness of it all makes me want to laugh, but it's really actually definitely happening so I can't. Tell me what is worse: The fact that people sue tobacco companies because they got sick from smoking, or the fact that they won? Same thing for the fat people. How, exactly, can...
  25. mikelegs

The Dog That Turned Into Green Mist, Cows Standing On Hind Legs & Other Cases Of Gibbering Insanity

Just guessing here, but in the case of the weirdos in the trees, as above, I would think any normal person would either call the police or at the very least a number of nearby friends or family to come see what was happening. Also for a sense of security, both physical and mental. I certainly...
  26. mikelegs

Black Streams

Of Interest - especially in an area with so many factories and industrial sites.
  27. mikelegs

Is This The Men In Black's Number?

Most excellent detective work, Evilsprout! You are the man.
  28. mikelegs

I like it.
  29. mikelegs

Back in my bolder college days, I phoned the operator to ask about certain numbers that would pick up automatically and generate a really damn creepy siren sound. The operator gave me the expected run-around about how my call probably just got lost in the switching somewhere. When I told her...
  30. mikelegs

I have a question for anyone else who called this number. Have you received any unusual automated calls since then? Today at work I received a telephone call. After answering the normal way, all I heard was a series of beeps. They were about 3 or 4 seconds apart, all the same tone. Haven't...
  31. mikelegs

Bumfights & Societal Decline

Hmm. I'm allergic to the m-weed, but I've never tried it IV. Anyway, this thread has headed into an interesting direction. Mostly opinions flowing here. Like capital punishment and abortion - there is no one answer for everyone. But I'll throw my opinion in here cause it's getting late...
  32. mikelegs

Electronic Voice Phenomena ('EVP')

I've certainly put a little thought into it. Unfortunately, I don't really have the equipment or means to do it all myself. And *if* I did it, I would want the results to be at least semi-formally written up. I'm not really in the know as far as setting up experiments (control groups, etc.)...
  33. mikelegs

Anyone feel free to jump in and correct me if I'm wrong - but I think I heard that the US reserves entire sections of the phone grid for stuff like this. For example, none of our area codes start with 1 or 0. Any 'sensitive' numbers probably have their very own area codes plus prefixes...
  34. mikelegs

Wow. Many thanks. I wasn't having much luck.
  35. mikelegs

How does this TV experiment work, exactly?
  36. mikelegs

Bumfights & Societal Decline

Let me just say that if I was down on my luck and living in the streets, I would happily accept an offer for money in exchange for pulling my own teeth out with pliers. I would then proceed to gouge out the eyes of my new employer with said pliers, take whatever was on his person, sell the...
  37. mikelegs

It Just Doesn't Make Any Sense

I was mulling over different types of fortean events, and the ones that I find truely exciting are the ones that make no sense. UFOs, MIB, Bigfoot, ghosts, OOBE, ESP, etc are all worthy and in need of serious investigation, but what about those things that leave you with the feeling that what...
  38. mikelegs

Werewolves

To me it looks like a very unkempt standard poodle. Poor thing.
  39. mikelegs

Here is a transcript of my call: I called at about 3:50 pm Eastern Standard Time <Loud beep.. sounds like a modem> <Mechanical voice spouting out letters... couldn't catch them> Enter Command 1 Time 1600 Level 27.70 Enter Command 2 Time 1600 Level 27.70 Enter...
  40. mikelegs

Dream teachers?

well, not really but pretty close... I had a pretty bizarre/scary dream one night. It was about time travel and war... in the dream a scientist came from the future to warn us about fighting some war that would begin on the day he travelled back to (being the day I had the dream, of course)...
  41. mikelegs

SETI & Anomalous Signals

If our message is in binary, how do we tell them whether the numbers are Little Endian or Big Endian? After that, how can we express any context in a message of nothing but numbers? I think that using the basic elements is a wise way to go, but agree we'll need something more universal than...
  42. mikelegs

Secret Road Signs

That's funny... of all the roadsigns I've stolen, none of them had those nice reflective stickers on the back. Now could someone tell me exactly what is wrong with the idea that our government would plan for a national emergency? Eh? EDIT hhahahahah. ahhhh hahahah. I just spent some...
  43. mikelegs

The Al Gore, Uri Geller & Enya connection

Pahh! And here I was hoping to find out exactly why Al Gore would want UG to listen carefully to Enya's lyrics. I find the initial claim interesting, yes, but with no motive or hypothesis, it's hardly a conspiracy theory. For all we know Al and Uri were stoned and Al thought it was a kind...
  44. mikelegs

Number Crunching (Spooky PC Weirdness; Mystery Numerical Files)

Just some thoughts. I would have expected to see ASCII instead of that weird numbering system on a computer. And if all the letters are represented by numbers, then why not the spaces? And why go to the effort of constructing such a code when it's easier and more efficient to just display the...
  45. mikelegs

Where Will Our Clean Energy Come From?

I'd say it is as much of a people problem as it is a technology problem. It seems as though our nations' great thinkers just aren't coming up with ideas like rynner's and Dark Detective's... that or they just don't want to hear them. I'm also somewhat suprised at their reluctance to move...
  46. mikelegs

Time Travel: Scientific Plausibility / Theories / Research

Ok, just thinking 'out loud' here, so bear with me. TorgosPizza mentioned something which constantly bothers me to no end. We'll use electrons as an example. According to the uncertaintly principle, it's impossible to definitively differentiate between two different electrons, is it not? Is...
  47. mikelegs

Computer Forteana?

I've been witness to all kinds of computer strangeness. Most of it comes down to access violations, memory leaks, and related - but some are really weird. For example, my boss wrote a script to build our software nightly plus copy all the most recent source files to a certain directory...
  48. mikelegs

I'd be interested if anyone knows about or is interested in interpretation of EVP. I've listened to a few EVPs of different sorts and it seems to me that there isn't much to them (generally speaking of course). For example, I've downloaded EVPs and tried to interpret them before reading the...
  49. mikelegs

Hypnagogic Voices

I guess I can relate a brief tale that confuses me to this day. I was out late one night, being slightly mischievous. The location was very rural, but nearby there was a building and some large trucks parked. I was just sort of roaming about when I heard a sudden burst of VERY loud sound...
  50. mikelegs

Phone Call From The Dead

I know for a fact that nothing's impossible when it comes to the phone company. I've heard strange sirens, mysterious beeping, confused operators, and more. From reading, I know that at one point any user could access any function of the system from any phone. There is a story about a guy...
Back