• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. B

FT212

As I am suffering from insomnia caused by a severe sore throat (*), I shall bring it upon myself to share my opinions! Well, it does pass the time. I thought that this was a fantastic issue. When I saw it was da Vinci Code based - I thought "eurggggh" but...really very interesting. 1...
  2. B

Sack the New Hierophant?

Agreed - whatever one thinks of what he is saying - there is no problem with the quality of writing. I would even go as far as to say that the standard of writing is better than most of the magazine (and certainly my own meagre efforts). All a matter of taste I suppose and one that obviously...
  3. B

Sack the New Hierophant?

Just compare the time it took for 48 posts to appear on the subject of "the new heirophant is crap" as opposed to the time it took to get 50 posts in praise of the previous heirophant. It IS much easier to find the enthusiasm to complain rather than applaud...
  4. B

Sack the New Hierophant?

I'm with the give him more time camp. There seems to be a vast improvement over the three articles. The first was a shock and just didn't entertain. The second was entertaining enough and I really quite liked the third. If he carries on with this upward trend I can soon see myself looking...
  5. B

UnCon 2006

I would have thought that "hmmm, yes, that is a good idea - perhaps we should look into that - thanks" would have been a suitable response. What we got was "errr...I have no idea what you are talking about...but I am struggling to deal with the idea of real science...grannypissial...
  6. B

UnCon 2006

Just thought I'd share my personal highlight from Uncon.... Jan Bondeson asking Clive Prince if he had considered using craniofacial anthropometrics to scientifically assess the similarity of the face on the Turin Shroud to the Leonardo painting. A very helpful and sensible suggestion I...
  7. B

Classical Corner

I am a Classical Corner convert. I can recall making comments very similar to those above on this Forum a couple of years ago. What always astounded me is that I have a degree in Ancient History - one would have thought that the combination of Classics and Forteana would have been perfect...
  8. B

FT newsletter

Yes - very good. As far as unexpected mail goes - it was rather more welcome than an offer for Herbal Erectus.
  9. B

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire

After Karl Shuker's impressive £250,000 win on WWTBAM, another FT linked person is currently in the hotseat. James Plaskett - a previous contributer and reviewer for FT - is currently in the seat this week and ended tonight's programme (14/01/06) still going and on £8,000 with all life-lines...
  10. B

Bring Back The Hierophant: Online Petition

I have voted accordingly. Each new FT provides a frisson of excitement that The Hierophant has returned. To date, I have been cruelly let down...
  11. B

Are You a Weirdo Magnet?

I have pretty much normal weird attraction levels but my wife has a special talent. She attracts people dressed in animal outfits collecting for charity. They make a bee-line for her and are guaranteed to try and cuddle and smother her. We can see them from 100 yards away and can watch...
  12. B

FT201

Always a pleasant surprise when an edition arrives before I am expecting. My only question relates to the cover: How did they get my son to model? I wouldn't be able to get him to sit still long enough.
  13. B

FT198

Anyone else notice the amazing bargain on page 64? "The Watch on the Heath" - normal price £20 - FT Bookshop Price - £35. I bet the phones have been busy with that order!
  14. B

FT197

Indeed - only one way to find out... If I discover anything worth knowing - I'll pass it on. (I appreciate the diagrammatic representation of the difference between "street" and "no street" - really brings the experience to life!)
  15. B

FT197

White City Anybody have any theories relating to the bizarre 1/4 page "White City" red advert within the Classified Ads? Is there a joke or profoundity I am missing? What am I to make of it? A loon with too much money? Who is Mr Schubert (or is it Mrs Chubert?)? Questions, question...
  16. B

FT196

Oh, so you're a member of Blockbuster too. Personally I preferred "Jack Booted, Saluting Nazi-monkey Whores 2 (The Beckoning)"
  17. B

FT196

Was it really that long ago? How time flies. I wasn't criticising. Indeed, nazis are good business. Another subject which sells better is one that appeals to even more basic instincts than the horror and fascination surrounding the nazis. Sex. Hence my reference to Channel 5 -...
  18. B

FT196

Further to the cover - I was wondering if FT is positioning itself as the Channel 5 of magazines? All this Nazi stuff... I look forward to the cover with Adolf as the only Gay in the Reich!
  19. B

Derren Brown: Master Mind-Manipulator

I also noted him saying "let your mind float" to the woman before she drew the picture that ended up being the ship in waves. It was interesting that the only error was when he said it would be a cross but the woman drew a Star of David. I think this gives us an inight into what he does...
  20. B

FT193

Got mine - includes one of my letters - but attributed to an entirely different name! Same forename - but surname is entirely different. Unless...someone from the same location with the same forename wrote an identical letter with the same circumstances. No, surely that could not be the...
  21. B

Suggest Improvements To The Fortean Times

Re: Bunch of fairies Surely, it is up to the reader to make his/her mind up? Such editorialising would be rather patronising. FT makes its stance very clear - every month the magazine states "Besides being a journal of record, FT is also a forum for the discussion of observations and...
  22. B

Albert Einstein Anecdotes: Urban Legends?

Talkies I have often heard it said that Einstein didn't talk until he was about 3/4 years old (thus leading to his parents worrying that he was a bit of a thicky). A quick Google turns this story up a number of times on the net. Does anyone know categorically if this is true? It just...
  23. B

Ray Keene Chess Puzzle Murder Case?

Yes - with the wonderful benefits of hindsight - I do entirely agree. Raymond Keene is still a bit of a shit though :D
  24. B

Fair point - but Speelman and others all act as Chess Columnists in broadsheet newspapers. At least they were active high quality players - Keene is more of a businessman. It would be like asking John Motson to score penalties for England in Euro 2004 instead of David Beckham !? (spot...
  25. B

Raymond Keene has always struck me as a rather self-obsessed publicity seeking character. Private Eye have reported on a number of his dubious business connections and dealings. All in all - comes across as a bit of a shit. My suspicion would be that this a bit of publicity nonsense for...
  26. B

Alternative Medicine: Urine Drinking / Urine Therapy

In ye olde days spin bowling cricketers would soak their hands in their own urine in order to toughen up the skin. It was cheaper and more readily available than surgical spirits (which replaced piss as the skin toughener). Another urine related tale involves an old man that my father knew...
  27. B

Restaurant strip search hoaxes

Yes - its only a minor step on from the classic "I am phoning from British Telecom - I need you to test the phone for me - can you........(drinka pint of water upside down/sing happy birthday to me/ eat a biscuit whislt talking to me on the phone etc. etc.) It is surprising that it hasn't...
  28. B

Mutants

Indeed, it was an excellent series - being a cheapskate with about 20 unread books at the moment - I am waiting for the paperback. The idea of beauty as the absence of mutation was fascinating. Had never considered that before. I take Goldstein's point about judging what "normality" is...
  29. B

Mass Hysteria

Ha ha - I went to see Depeche Mode on their most recent tour. It ws excellent - although no jumping around as it was at Wembley and I was stuck up in the side balcony! Interesting issue of the difference in sexual morality of male/female celebrities. Not wishing to enter into stereotypical...
  30. B

FT186

Good question - no - none that I have seen so far and I have flicked through all the magazine and read a fair chunk. There is certainly nothing in the editorial where I would expect the revelation of the deceptive hoax to be placed...
  31. B

Donnie Darko

Have some coffee then... In a complete reversal of our tastes in Classical Corner - I am quite a fan of Donnie Darko - an excellent film indeed. Could not come anywhere near close to explaining the film - but leaving it open makes it even more intriguing and interesting. Are you the...
  32. B

Preservation of the FT

At first I thought this was a thread to try and rally support for some threat to FT's existence. :eek!!!!: Fortunately not! I just keep mine in those magazine holder things that you can buy cheap in Tesco/Smiths etc.
  33. B

FT186

We are talking 186 here - aren't we? If so - yes - got mine this morning. Very pleasant surprise - hadn't crossed my mind that it was due yet...
  34. B

FT185

I presume that you do not need an English person to explain the double entendre of the word "horn" at all? It certainly does not involve the telephone!
  35. B

1993 I was in the wrong year.

Re: correction Couldn't put it better! :D
  36. B

FT185

To quote early Alan Partridge.... "By George - he's got it" Even as a classical historian - I would entirely agree with your solution. Put the notes down the bottom - and it would be more readable. The section would become half footnotes - but the half left over would be more easily...
  37. B

1993 I was in the wrong year.

I thought that to qualify for a joke - something had to be funny!?
  38. B

FT185

With a name like Messalina, one would expect you to have an interest in the classics. I presume you also don't challenge the local prostitutes to shagging contests like your namesake? Anyway, I have a degree in Archaeology and Ancient History - and so you would expect me to lap up Classical...
  39. B

The Bilderberg Conference

I would imagine that ruling the world (secretly) is a rather time consuming job. Its not 9 to 5 when you're the puppet master pulling the strings of all our lifes. When could they find the time? That said, you'd think they'd employ minions to sort these things out. They could wear smart...
  40. B

Man has green sweat

Strange timing - last Friday evening - I was walking through Reading with my wife - and I saw a Green man! It was most strange - he had a light yellowy green hue all over his face. It wasn't jaundice yellow - more the sort of colour a person would be made to look on a bad sit-com if they...
  41. B

Just a thought - should this thread be moved to the Conspiracy section? (seeing as it now contains discussion over and above the original announcement). I note that there is a Bilderberg 2002 Conference thread on that section. Perhaps the two could be combined into an overall Bilderberg...
  42. B

I think you misunderstand (willfully? - I am not sure if you are claiming ignorance for effect?) It refers to him working for FT for 20 years before getting sacked not him getting sacked 20 years after writing the articles! EDIT - Just thought I'd better double check the dates on this.... A...
  43. B

Media Blacklist... The following are extracts from Robin Ramsay's Conspiracy Theories (published Pocket Essentials 2000) (all emphasis my own)
  44. B

Absolutely - and this did concern them - up until very recently - as it was a media black-list subject. Why media blacklist if secrecy was not considered important? Whether there was anything sinister going on is really a matter for personal interpretation. Does an annual meeting of...
  45. B

What I find interesting about this is the fact that the BBC are reporting on the forthcoming Bilderberg meeting. I have recently been reading Robin Ramsay's excellent Pocket Essential on Conspiracy Theories. It was written in 2000. At the time of writing, mainstream reporting of...
  46. B

One man's constructive criticism is another man's whinge. If stating what an individual doesn't like about the magazine is "suggestion for improvement," then I fall on my sword and publically apologise for my use of the W word. Hell, we can't even agree on what a whinge is - so how can we...
  47. B

Good god no - I owuldn't claim it is 100% perfect. Main reason - I am one of something in the region of 70,000 readers - the magazine will never cater for my tastes alone. In saying that - I hope I am making my key point. For everyone who wants it to stick to CLASSIC Fortean-type...
  48. B

What? Errr......in the words of Dennis Healey.... "FUCK OFF" :p
  49. B

By the sounds of this thread - the website seems to make the readers of FT sound more like "Victors R Us" Blimey - what a load of whinging. What amuses me is this seeming ability to define what is and is not Fortean. I suppose, by any strict interpretation, the article on the D-Day...
Back