• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Anyone Seen A Ghost?

Over forty years ago, when I was 5 or 6 years old, I went through a short period when I kept seeing a man in my bedroom “with a light on his head”, as I used to say to my parents. This happened on a few occasions over a couple of months, but then stopped and was never repeated. I remember seeing this man in the middle of the night, always a distinct outline of a man, no facial features, and a light on top of his head. The house was a modern end-of-terrace house in a Cornish village. Years later, I realised that the area was dotted with mine workngs (indeed, the neighbourhood was called ‘Wheal Rose’), though I’m not sure I would have appreciated this at the time of seeng ‘the man’. To the best of my knowledge, no one else ever claimed to have seen anything in the house or surroundings.
Great to read of a Cornish ghost.

There are three decent Cornish hauntings in this old tv series called Extremest Ghost Stories:

One is the haunted Lands End pub, one a poltergeist in a house on a Penwith moor and another the ghost of miners near Redruth

Also, the death of a man who had worked in a mine for many many years (without any associated 'mine disaster' trauma) may be enough to lead to him sticking around on earth in the garb he had worn so long in life?

This forum is in the English language; and I don't know how many members live in non-English speaking countries. This makes me wonder if the percentage of people seeing ghosts is the same in non-English speaking places. I have no idea, as I don't know much about ghosts. From reading on this forum, it seems to me that every place in UK has multiple ghosts. It is a wonder they don't run into each other!

This forum is in the English language; and I don't know how many members live in non-English speaking countries. This makes me wonder if the percentage of people seeing ghosts is the same in non-English speaking places. I have no idea, as I don't know much about ghosts. From reading on this forum, it seems to me that every place in UK has multiple ghosts. It is a wonder they don't run into each other!
From Japan:

https://allthatsinteresting.com/tsunami-spirits

Yes, it is a cultural thing, and the UK has the strong Celtic influence that brings with it myths and legends of ghosts. Not so much in France, apparently:

https://www.parisunlocked.com/around-france/famous-french-ghosts-reputed-hauntings/

Last edited:
I used to live in Guatemala, plenty of ghosts there.

Last edited:
Some years back I had a bookkeeping position at a small construction company, the former bookkeeper was retiring after many years there and stayed on for a week to get me started. When she left, as she walked out the door she told me, "You'll notice some strange things happening here, it's just an old building."
Well, I had no idea what she meant. I started early in the morning, 6:00 a.m., and left early. When I got there the guys were leaving to go out on jobs and I was alone in the office, a small 2 story building, with a door leading to the warehouse with all their supplies and equipment. The other woman came in at 8:30 a.m. and she worked upstairs. And the owners were out most of the time attending meetings and checking job sites, they were very busy.
When the guys left early in the morning, they always locked the front door behind them, as I was alone in the office. But I repeatedly saw men out in the lobby through the sliding glass window there, and just thought they had returned to pick up more supplies. There seemed to be one man always hanging around inside and outside, I saw him clearly many times. Imagine my surprise when the owner told me that the workers were on a job in another state, and hadn't returned to the office at all. Which happened frequently.
One afternoon the woman upstairs told me she was going out for lunch, but shortly afterward I heard a horrendous racket coming from upstairs, as if all the furniture was being moved and re-arranged. I couldn't wait until she returned, we ran upstairs and nothing had moved, all the furniture was in the same location as before, I couldn't believe it.
Thankfully the owners left their dogs with me during the daytime, one big Lab and one little poodle, who often growled and barked at the warehouse door, but helped me feel safer. The little poodle was barking non-stop one morning, so I took her outside, thinking she had to tinkle - well she ran to the closed warehouse door growling like never before - but I knew for a fact that no one else was in the building, all the doors were locked. Just then I could hear the flush of the toilet in the warehouse, just beyond the closed door. I grabbed the dog and ran for the office, locking the door behind me, never been so frightened in my life.
After that I asked the owner what was going on in that building - he laughed and told me that one night he had to sleep on the office sofa on the first floor because a foot of snow had fallen and he couldn't get home. He woke up late at night to a party going on on the second floor, so he grabbed a baseball bat and ran upstairs, thinking someone had broken into the building. No one was there, no lights were on, he was stunned. So he believed me, and told me that many peculiar things had happened there over the years.
Well, one day the town fire department official came to do their annual inspection, and we got to talking about this old building - he said that back in the 1940's, it had been a 'bordello' - LOL! I assumed the man I saw constantly outside / inside must have been a customer!
Anyway, that business eventually closed down - on my last day, as I pulled out of the parking lot, in my side view mirror I saw that same man standing there behind my car. I quickly got out to speak with him - but there was no one there.
I did take 2 photos inside that building, I'll have to see if I can find them.

Great to read of a Cornish ghost.

There are three decent Cornish hauntings in this old tv series called Extremest Ghost Stories:

One is the haunted Lands End pub, one a poltergeist in a house on a Penwith moor and another the ghost of miners near Redruth
Thanks. The Land’s End (technically Sennen, I think, but close enough) one I knew about from Will Storr’s excellent book, and I’d love to know whereabouts the Penwith house is. The Redruth one is actually close to the fishing village in which I grew up. There are certainly plenty of mines along that Helston-Redruth road.

Some years back I had a bookkeeping position at a small construction company, the former bookkeeper was retiring after many years there and stayed on for a week to get me started. When she left, as she walked out the door she told me, "You'll notice some strange things happening here, it's just an old building."
Well, I had no idea what she meant. I started early in the morning, 6:00 a.m., and left early. When I got there the guys were leaving to go out on jobs and I was alone in the office, a small 2 story building, with a door leading to the warehouse with all their supplies and equipment. The other woman came in at 8:30 a.m. and she worked upstairs. And the owners were out most of the time attending meetings and checking job sites, they were very busy.
When the guys left early in the morning, they always locked the front door behind them, as I was alone in the office. But I repeatedly saw men out in the lobby through the sliding glass window there, and just thought they had returned to pick up more supplies. There seemed to be one man always hanging around inside and outside, I saw him clearly many times. Imagine my surprise when the owner told me that the workers were on a job in another state, and hadn't returned to the office at all. Which happened frequently.
One afternoon the woman upstairs told me she was going out for lunch, but shortly afterward I heard a horrendous racket coming from upstairs, as if all the furniture was being moved and re-arranged. I couldn't wait until she returned, we ran upstairs and nothing had moved, all the furniture was in the same location as before, I couldn't believe it.
Thankfully the owners left their dogs with me during the daytime, one big Lab and one little poodle, who often growled and barked at the warehouse door, but helped me feel safer. The little poodle was barking non-stop one morning, so I took her outside, thinking she had to tinkle - well she ran to the closed warehouse door growling like never before - but I knew for a fact that no one else was in the building, all the doors were locked. Just then I could hear the flush of the toilet in the warehouse, just beyond the closed door. I grabbed the dog and ran for the office, locking the door behind me, never been so frightened in my life.
After that I asked the owner what was going on in that building - he laughed and told me that one night he had to sleep on the office sofa on the first floor because a foot of snow had fallen and he couldn't get home. He woke up late at night to a party going on on the second floor, so he grabbed a baseball bat and ran upstairs, thinking someone had broken into the building. No one was there, no lights were on, he was stunned. So he believed me, and told me that many peculiar things had happened there over the years.
Well, one day the town fire department official came to do their annual inspection, and we got to talking about this old building - he said that back in the 1940's, it had been a 'bordello' - LOL! I assumed the man I saw constantly outside / inside must have been a customer!
Anyway, that business eventually closed down - on my last day, as I pulled out of the parking lot, in my side view mirror I saw that same man standing there behind my car. I quickly got out to speak with him - but there was no one there.
I did take 2 photos inside that building, I'll have to see if I can find them.
Wow just wow and wow again..you are very lucky to witness that....maybe a Time Slip's

Thanks. The Land’s End (technically Sennen, I think, but close enough) one I knew about from Will Storr’s excellent book, and I’d love to know whereabouts the Penwith house is. The Redruth one is actually close to the fishing village in which I grew up. There are certainly plenty of mines along that Helston-Redruth road.
Have also read Will's excellent book.

I love to walk the old mining trails around Redruth. When you stand by the Wheal Uny shaft and realise they dug a 900 foot vertical shaft by hand and how many lives must have been lost...

Have also read Will's excellent book.

I love to walk the old mining trails around Redruth. When you stand by the Wheal Uny shaft and realise they dug a 900 foot vertical shaft by hand and how many lives must have been lost...
Yes, I now live in a village very close to Redruth and we have so many old mining trails (indeed, our deeds show that one of the old mining railroads used to run straight through what is now our front garden). The mine that absolutely blows my mind is Dolcoath, which at a depth of 1000 metres takes some beating, certainly for the time anyway.

Yes, I now live in a village very close to Redruth and we have so many old mining trails (indeed, our deeds show that one of the old mining railroads used to run straight through what is now our front garden). The mine that absolutely blows my mind is Dolcoath, which at a depth of 1000 metres takes some beating, certainly for the time anyway.
Then they had to contend with this:

"Workers suffered "Dolcoath" or "miner's anemia". Boycott and Haldane established in 1903 that this was not due to poor ventilation or bad air, but that the mine provided the right conditions for the condition ankylostomiasis (hookworm).[13] They found 94% of the workforce was infected, along with telltale low haemoglobin levels, and skin eruptions called "bunches". Workers on long underground shifts defecated in the mine shafts in humid conditions, expelling hookworm that later entered the skin of other miners through their accidental contact with faeces, sometimes on boots, ladders or tools (often through their knees or arms as they crawled along shafts). The mine is an important case study for epidemiologists because very rarely in Britain were conditions damp and hot enough for hookworm to propagate."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolcoath_mine

Then they had to contend with this:

"Workers suffered "Dolcoath" or "miner's anemia". Boycott and Haldane established in 1903 that this was not due to poor ventilation or bad air, but that the mine provided the right conditions for the condition ankylostomiasis (hookworm).[13] They found 94% of the workforce was infected, along with telltale low haemoglobin levels, and skin eruptions called "bunches". Workers on long underground shifts defecated in the mine shafts in humid conditions, expelling hookworm that later entered the skin of other miners through their accidental contact with faeces, sometimes on boots, ladders or tools (often through their knees or arms as they crawled along shafts). The mine is an important case study for epidemiologists because very rarely in Britain were conditions damp and hot enough for hookworm to propagate."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolcoath_mine
Indeed. I occasionally mention the anemia if the mine ever comes up in conversation, though not over dinner, obviously…

Wow just wow and wow again..you are very lucky to witness that....maybe a Time Slip's
LOL - As a side note, a few years after they closed down, another construction company opened up there and by chance, I had an interview at the new company, I passed on that job, it didn't pay as well and I didn't really care for the idea of being in that office again!
Thinking about it, maybe it was a time slip - those people were still partying and refused to move on!

Just recalled another company I worked for, a trucking company that trucked merchandise in, warehoused it, and then trucked it out to designated locations, owned by a woman and a man. The woman ran the office, I was the assistant, and the man ran the trucking and warehousing. Turned out they had moved from a large building several towns over because the warehouse was haunted! I laughed at first, but the man told me that when he was bringing shipments in on the forklift, he would be turning a corner in this large warehouse and there were several people watching him. Scared him to death, because he could see through them, and they weren't standing, they were hanging up in the air! And they were there all the time. He found out that this group were former employees from olden times, it was well known that they were there, and they just wouldn't leave. So the company moved out. Honestly, I found it hard to believe that a group of ghosts would be hanging up in the air like that, but both of them insisted it was true, and these were no-nonsense people.

Heard an interesting and creepy tale today. Apparently it's true, however it is third hand (told to me by the son of the witness) and definitely has the feel of an urban legend about it...

Essentially this guy's father was driving through traffic, but had slowed down considerably and saw a woman sat on the edge of the road crying and looking shell shocked. He thought it was very strange but didn't stop and continued on. After some time he reached and managed to pass the incident that had caused the traffic. It was a collision between some cars and he says he saw the woman who he had seen earlier, and it quickly became apparent she was dead.

I've met this man and I find it hard to believe he would just make this up. However it definitely has the feel of an urban legend to me, and I can't quite believe he'd be able to identify the woman accurately. I'd also question why she would be, for want of a better expression, 'on display'. Unfortunately I have no idea whether he saw her in the car or elsewhere, i.e. whether she was being 'worked on' and he later saw something that confirmed her fate.

Urban legend or not the story creeped me out! It reminded me of that Derren Brown programme where he fooled a woman into thinking she'd died in a car accident, it was awful! :worry:

Last edited:
Heard an interesting and creepy tale today. Apparently it's true, however it is third hand (told to me by the son of the witness) and definitely has the feel of an urban legend about it...

Essentially this guy's father was driving through traffic, but had slowed down considerably and saw a woman sat on the edge of the road crying and looking shell shocked. He thought it was very strange but didn't stop and continued on. After some time he reached and managed to pass the incident that had caused the traffic. It was a collision between some cars and he says he saw the woman who he had seen earlier, and it quickly became apparent she was dead.

I've met this man and I find it hard to believe he would just make this up. However it definitely has the feel of an urban legend to me, and I can't quite believe he'd be able to identify the woman accurately. I'd also question why she would be, for want of a better expression, 'on display'. Unfortunately I have no idea whether he saw her in the car or elsewhere, i.e. whether she was being 'worked on' and he later saw something that confirmed her fate.

Urban legend or not the story creeped me out! It reminded me of that Derren Brown programme where he fooled a woman into thinking she'd died in a car accident, it was awful! :worry:
A crisis apparition type of thing? Sounds like the bicycle incident in The Sixth Sense. :omg:

A crisis apparition type of thing? Sounds like the bicycle incident in The Sixth Sense. :omg:

I've never seen the film (didn't seem worth it once I knew the ending) but I've just watched that scene on YouTube and I can see what you mean. Not the same exact scenario but it definitely has a similar feel. If it is an urban legend I can see how it might have inspired someone. You know in all honesty I'm not sure I want it to be true! Imo it's much more creepy than your average ghostly tale.

Sounds too much like The Sixth Sense...

I don't think Celtic influence has anything to do with it, and northwest France also has strong Celtic influence.
You are probably right:

"England is a haunted country. Several explanations, for the ubiquity of the ghost in this land, can be offered. Alone among the countries of Europe, England is bordered by original British (or Celtic) nations. The popularity of the English ghost tradition – the English see more ghosts than anyone else – is deeply rooted in its peculiar mingling of Germanic, Nordic and British superstitions. The English are also in many respects obsessed with the past, with ruins, with ancient volumes. It is the country where archaeology is placed on national television, and where every town and village has its own local historian. Ghosts therefore may be seen as a bridge of light between the past and the present, or between the living and the dead. They represent continuity, albeit of a spectral kind."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/the-spirits-of-england-2119329.html

In one of Andy Gilbert's Credible Witness books (paranormal experiences of serving and retired UK Police officers) a policeman arrives on the scene of a stolen car crash and witnesses a well known local petty criminal fleeing on foot. He tells his colleagues what he has seen, only to then discover the petty criminal's dead body is actually still inside the crashed car.

So was The Sixth Sense inspired by actual witness accounts...?

For your interest, this is how the matter was related in the children's book "Fun to know about ghosts" by Sean Richards [1979]

Attachments

• TS3.jpg
    TS3.jpg
    479.8 KB · Views: 12
  • TS2.jpg
    TS2.jpg
    613.7 KB · Views: 15
  • TS1.jpg
    TS1.jpg
    546.3 KB · Views: 14
He also had another encounter with the same guy (see post #18 on that thread).
CREEPY!! Just to recap, Savalas heard that same voice telling him something about JFK, and he had just been shot, that is just chilling!
Sometimes I wonder just how dead the deceased really are, judging by just my own experiences, many of them are not resting in peace........

CREEPY!! Just to recap, Savalas heard that same voice telling him something about JFK, and he had just been shot, that is just chilling!
Sometimes I wonder just how dead the deceased really are, judging by just my own experiences, many of them are not resting in peace........
And he said ''that's only half the story, I'm not going to tell you the rest''. I wish he had done. Maybe he did tell 'the rest' somewhere.

And he said ''that's only half the story, I'm not going to tell you the rest''. I wish he had done. Maybe he did tell 'the rest' somewhere.
I was wondering the same thing! And I wonder if the rest of the story is about this same man, James Cullen, with the odd voice? Or someone else? Savalas was such an interesting person.
Jean Dixon, the American psychic, predicted JFK's death.

Jean Dixon's track record is not very good. Like all the other psychics, when you consider her whole track record and not just a few cherry picked examples, her successful prediction rate is poor.

Back