• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Cats would make rubbish pirates. I really think you need opposable thumbs to be a proper pirate.
They're bipedal cats, they've probably got opposable thumbs.

If not, if I can weild a cutlass in a crooked wing, they can manage with a paw.

I assume they unscrewed the hook attachments and screwed in the sword attachments.

Has anyone asked a AI to draw God,?

Has anyone asked a AI to draw God,?
okay, I've put the prompt 'God' into Gencraft, specifying no style. As usual, it gave to images.
gencraft_image_1704482627006-1.png

gencraft_image_1704482617451-1.png

Fair enough. But, out of curiosity, I tried it again, this time specifying the style 'Realistic'.

Well...
gencraft_image_1704482595659-1.png

gencraft_image_1704482608084-1.png

I don't quite know what to say.

Well. It looks like my job with a camerawork is safe. It‘s putting one lens on the viewfinder and the other on the tripod.
Then there’s Master Chief/Mandalorian… but this is a bit Surgeon’s Nessie photo. It looks about ten inches high and I’m pretty sure God is taller than that

Are we being told something?
The first two images are about the kind of thing I could have predicted from Gencraft. I've asked for pictures of Greek gods and it's given me something with a decidedly oriental feel rather than something more occidental classical.

But, the two images I got simply by changing the style to 'Realistic' really left me scratching my head. I tried again with the styles 'Anime', which gave me a typical anime hero type, and 'Steampunk', which gave me a steam belching mechanical mess in Victorian city streets. I can put those down to it following the style. But how 'Realistic' biases the prompt 'God' to a camera and a robotic or possibly Mandalorian warrior is beyond me.

Very odd shaped people. Maybe they are aliens.
It's amazing how cool, detailed and precise it can be yet how it still can't get hands right.
gencraft_image_1704706570204-1.png

Are human hands really so difficult? I guess the AIs just need more training.

EDIT: I hope posting these images isn't causing any problems for the forum. Please mods let me know if I have to shrink the images more.

I'd imagine because AI tries to make a composite of hundreds of images, not all those images of hands show all four fingers and a thumb. Y'know - :twothumbs: :omr::yay::bpals::bananas:

Even in paintings, the hand is shown in many different positions. I suspect that if you asked A.I. to reproduce anatomical diagrams of a hand, it might be more realistic, because it's targeting a smaller sample of images it amalgamates.

gencraft_image_1704708820893-1.png

gencraft_image_1704708814134-1.png

In terms of the arrangement of fingers, 50% success rate isn't bad. More than that perhaps when you consider a small number of people are polydactyls, and might actually have five fingers and a thumb.

But, yes, I asked for an anatomical drawing of a hand, so that's what it looked for. Of course, when drawing a human, it doesn't know that those knobbly things on the ends of their arms are hands. Or what an arm is. Or what a human is. Or what anything in the image it's creating is.

The second looks more like bones placed on or piercing the flesh.

ANYBODY who has ever done art has struggled with hands and fingers
True. In fact I think studies of hands are a common part of training as an artist.

I was never trained as an artist but I dabbled. Somewhere I've got my one attempt at a close-up of a hand for some little amateur project. It'll be interesting to see how I did all these years later, but I remember hours spent sketching while staring at my hand on the table thinking I was never going to get it.

I have zero talent, so perhaps I should give AI a break.
It reminds me of that scene in I, Robot, where the detective says to the robot, 'Can a robot write a symphony? Can a robot turn a canvas into a beautiful masterpiece?'
And the robot says, 'Can you?'

True. In fact I think studies of hands are a common part of training as an artist.

I was never trained as an artist but I dabbled. Somewhere I've got my one attempt at a close-up of a hand for some little amateur project. It'll be interesting to see how I did all these years later, but I remember hours spent sketching while staring at my hand on the table thinking I was never going to get it.

I have zero talent, so perhaps I should give AI a break.
It reminds me of that scene in I, Robot, where the detective says to the robot, 'Can a robot write a symphony? Can a robot turn a canvas into a beautiful masterpiece?'
And the robot says, 'Can you?'
Indeed, some take this to the extreme for more than drawing...

I was put off art by my teacher - he was a good artist but a poor teacher (in my view now) - but I always had an interest. Became for a short while a technical illustrator. I'm okay with cartoon/basic images but life drawing or still life? Nah - never got taught it, see?
So hands - I've tried plenty of times - evade me.
But at least I get the four finger/one thumb thing done.

I was put off art by my teacher - he was a good artist but a poor teacher (in my view now) - but I always had an interest. Became for a short while a technical illustrator. I'm okay with cartoon/basic images but life drawing or still life? Nah - never got taught it, see?
So hands - I've tried plenty of times - evade me.
But at least I get the four finger/one thumb thing done.
I went to two art colleges and wasn't up to scratch at either of them as an artist. I only went to them to scrounge as much training as I could for 2 dimensional painting/oil pastel/pencil. whatever techniques for F/X make up and prop work that I knew I'd need at some point. Hands are indeed difficult to get right, I only managed to make one passable at best sketch of hands which I turned into a 3 dimensional clay baked based sculpture. They evade me as well.

More than that perhaps when you consider a small number of people are polydactyls
Tetradactyl is the commonest type of primate handform. And I've never seen any examples of polypollexy (give me two thumbs up if you agree!)

I went to two art colleges and wasn't up to scratch at either of them as an artist. I only went to them to scrounge as much training as I could for 2 dimensional painting/oil pastel/pencil. whatever techniques for F/X make up and prop work that I knew I'd need at some point. Hands are indeed difficult to get right, I only managed to make one passable at best sketch of hands which I turned into a 3 dimensional clay baked based sculpture. They evade me as well.
Many years ago I wrote a short gamebook for kindle. Only for my own amusement. It was a science fiction effort, and I did several small illustrations just to fill the gaps below short references. For some reason I decided to include the hand of someone who been kill clutching a sci-fi pistol, something I immediately regretted when trying to get any proper sense of perspective on something as complicated as a hand, in spite of having two readily available models.
handgun.jpg

It's supposed to be black and white by the way. Kindles were simple things back then.

I see nothing essentially wrong with that - cartoonish, perhaps, but at least it looks like what it's meant to be.
I prefer working in monochrome anyhow.
I try to take photos of 'real' props then draw from those photos.

I see nothing essentially wrong with that - cartoonish, perhaps, but at least it looks like what it's meant to be.
I prefer working in monochrome anyhow.
I try to take photos of 'real' props then draw from those photos.
Thanks. My usual method, and what I used with this, was to sketch first on paper, in this case with my hand on the desk in front of me, to photograph the sketch, put it on the bottom layer on drawing software, and go from there. The only way I was ever able to get any sense of perspective was as a physical sketch. I could never go straight to the drawing software. Somewhere, and I found it last time I moved, I've still got a huge pad with a couple of pages dedicated to failed sketches of hands for this one picture.

So, AI, since it doesn't even know what a hand is, I'll give it a couple more years before Criticising its attempts at hands too much. But it'll be a pity if the future it's giving you exactly what you're trying to achieve through a collaborative back and forth, and then you've got to keep saying, 'You still haven't got that hand right.'

Back