• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

MrRING

Android Futureman
Anybody here a fan of the Carry On series? Are they considered fun and witty or just one step above Benny Hill or what? I've only seen two, Carry On Screaming and Carry On Up The Jungle, but I thought both were pretty fun. But I know some things that are funny are pretty universally liked (Fawlty Towers) and some funny things are seen as lowbrow (Are You Being Served?) and I'm just curious about where Carry On fares in the UK these days.

Here is a fan site:

http://www.carryonline.com/

I'm sorry, but I confess to liking the Carry On genre. The early ones were truly fuinny with a "seaside postcard", mildly saucy humour and general slapstick. ...Up the Khyber was the ultimate in its series! Unfortunately, the formula was too successful for itself and the in the later films became more and more excessive and pathetic! The ultimate dross was ...Emmanuel.

Check out "...Constable" - black and white cheerful fun - and "...Cabby" - almost Ealing Comedy in its humour.
:D
Sad to say that many of its stars either passed away before getting away from the association or joined a poor vehicle to continue their careers. Some were so excellent in other non-Carry On films (such as Sid James, Kenneth Connor and Frankie Howerd) that if Carry On hadn't "marked their card" they'd have had a much more successful career.

Yeah, I like the Carry On films - altho' they can be a bit hit and miss humour-wise. My all-time favourite is 'Carry On Up The Khyber', which I find very very funny indeed :D

'Fakir - off!' ,etc.....

I like them too but really only the ones featuring Sid James, Kenneth Williams etc.

In the ironic 21st century i think they're undergoing a renaissance over here, all us 30-somethings have fond memories of them from our childhoods.

People on the whole love 'em and see them as far superior to Benny Hill. I caught a few Hill shows last year and was actucally surprised at how creepy they were in parts and I personally love humour involving scantily clad ladies and mother-in laws.

Favourite carry-on line??

Infamy, Infamy, they've all got in for me!!!!

Britain In A Double 'D' Cup.

Mr. R.I.N.G. said:
But I know some things that are funny are pretty universally liked (Fawlty Towers) and some funny things are seen as lowbrow (Are You Being Served?) and I'm just curious about where Carry On fares in the UK these days.http://www.carryonline.com/
Low brow, post Ealing, falling trousers humour and the later one's got a bit reactionary, before sliding into the mid-70's fashion for teeth grindingly awful, pimply pale and wan British soft-core humour.

I like the 60's stuff, the earliest (B&W) are perhaps the least formulaic, but 'Carry On Cleo', 'Carry On Screaming', 'Carry On Nurse', and the classic, post Imperialist, 'Carry On Up The Khyber' are perhaps the towering achievement of the 'Carry-On' team.

But, Politically Incorrect and laying bare the truth about the Brits and their repressed sexuality?

"Ooerr! Missus!"

"Now, stop messing about!"

Carry On Screaming is one of the very few films i can watch over again when ever its on telly.... Carry On Cleo is a masterpiece useing the sets from the abandoned filming if Cleopatra (liz Taylor and Richard Burton) and even the posters (suitable changed) i think it was even writen in ahurry to take advantage of the expensive sets! it ranges across Ancient Britain/Rome and Egypt with gay abandon..i like it lots.

I generally like them up to (and including) Carry On Up The Khyber, but dislike each subsequent one with mounting venom until we reach Carry On Columbus, which contrary to what I was told to expect I found only to be about as bad as Carry On Camping, (which I view as mildly irritating altho' occasionally-smirk provoking, rather than downright piss-poor (Carry On Dick), or outright objectionable and rather depressing (Carry On Girls)).

Best (IMO, and with star-ratings! :D ):
Carry On Sergeant (1958) *
Carry On Teacher (1959) **
Carry On Constable (1959) **
Carry On Jack (1963) **
Carry On Spying (1964) ***
Carry On Cleo (1964) *****
Carry On Cowboy (1965) ****
Carry On Screaming! (1966) ****
Carry On Follow that Camel (1967) (mainly for Phil Silvers) *
Carry On Doctor (1967) **
Carry On up the Khyber (1968) *****

Worst (IMO):
Carry On Up the Jungle (1970)
Carry On Loving (1970)
Carry On At your Convenience (1971)
Carry On Matron (1972)
Carry On Girls (1973)
Carry On Dick (1974)

Not personally Seen:
Carry On Abroad (1972)
Carry On Behind (1975)
Carry On England (1976)
Carry On Emmannuelle (1978)

All the rest are fairly dull. IMO.

Carry on up the Khyber - "Oh dear, I appear to be a little plastered!"

Carry On Abroad is diabolical...poor old charles Hautry hauled out of his cosy bar to play a silly drunk ..sad really cos he was by then.

I like Carry On films, which results in much abuse form my family. They are the sort of people who 'know' they will dislike something, without actually seeing it!

That said 'Carry On Columbus' was on TV the other night and I stayed up to see it. It was brutal, not even remotely funny and I did not recognise any of the actors in it. The whole point about this sort of comedy is the standard formula and characters, but none of them were in the Columbus film.

... Columbus did star Jim Dale who was in Carry On Doctor but did include Alexi Sayle, Richard Wilson and Maureen Lipman. But apart from these stars (who should've known better) ...Columbus was lousy!

Isn't there going to be another one with Graham Norton or something?

Can't wait, i'm such a fan of Graham Norton (insert sarcastic smilie here).

I love the Carry On films, as long as Barbara 'The Krays were Good Boys Really' Windsor isn't in them. I can't stand her.

Carry On Up the Khyber
Carry On Follow That Camel
Carry On Screaming
Carry On Cleo
Carry On Don't Lose Your Head

Those are my faves.

'Any time is Tiffin time....':D
'Frying tonight!':D
'Oos that man sat on the throne? - That's the Khazee' :D :D

Carry On ... trivia part 1 -

...Cleo: The black roman armour that Pod (Kenneth Connor) wore as bodyguard to Caesar was, in fact, the same armour worn by Burton in Cleopatra

Ceasar: "Freinds, Romans ..."
Others (Whisper): "Countrymen"
Ceasar: "I know that!"

Carry on Screaming is the bestest one, the only one I opted to buy when they came out on video.

I'm afraid I even liked Carry On Camping and Carry On At Your Convenience. I draw the line at Columbus though, which was done years later, an experiment that should never be repeated, especially with G Norton in it.
In fact Carry On forms the basis of much of the humour here in The Aviary. :blush:

Carry On Cowboy is my fave.

Of course, 'Carry on, Sergeant' is a fairly common phrase after a parade...

beakboo said:
In fact Carry On forms the basis of much of the humour here in The Aviary. :blush:

and of course in Carry On Screeming..."sargent what the name of this road?" "Avery Avenue sir" " Well lets explore Avery Avenue"

Since this thread's been revived, I'd like to add that like many others before, I loved Khyber, Screaming and Cleo the most. Some of the later ones were bloody awful, although I actually found even Columbus had its moments. That said, Carry on Columbus was probably the least funny Columbus film released that year, and the other two weren't comedies.

Favourite line though, and surely one of the greatest lines in any film, was Kenneth Williams in Carry On Cleo:
"Infamy! Infamy! They've all got it infamy!"

Stormkhan said:
Carry On ... trivia part 1 -

...Cleo: The black roman armour that Pod (Kenneth Connor) wore as bodyguard to Caesar was, in fact, the same armour worn by Burton in Cleopatra

Ceasar: "Freinds, Romans ..."
Others (Whisper): "Countrymen"
Ceasar: "I know that!"

'Carry On..' trivia part 2:

Don't Lose Your Head and Follow That Camel aren't actually 'Carry On...' films...

I had a chance at a complete DVD set for £80 last week...

<hasnt got £80...>

Don't be tempted - for £80 you'd get, by common reckoning, 3 or 4 great films, half a dozen good ones, and 15-20 steaming turds. My secret, not-yet-patented VFM-meter tells me you should pay no more than £25 for the lot.

:)

I'm pretty sure I've seen them all, it seems like aeons ago. They were definitely in that time, and of that time.
A more innocent era, perhaps naive, but hopeful.

Carry On Teacher was the least raunchy of the series but great fun of a long gone era of education.

Watching BBC2's 'Carry On' night, tonight, I've been looking up more information, on the internet.

Sid James died of a heart attack, on stage, on the opening night of of 'The Mating Game,' at the Sunderland Empire. Apparently, Sid's ghost is reputed to haunt his former dressing room and Les Dawson once had a terrifying experience there, of which he rarely spoke.

http://sbootles0.tripod.com/

# Soon after Sid’s death, actors and actresses began to report strange sensations in the late star’s dressing room.
# SINCE then, there has been a steady trickle of stories among the show business fraternity - which has always been denied by the Empire management.
# International stars have claimed to have seen or heard Sid. None will openly admit to their experiences.
# One who hinted he was badly shaken by an encounter with Sid’s ghost was Les Dawson.
# In the year prior to his own death, comic Dawson refused to return to the Empire, claiming what he saw was the worst experience of his life.

The Sunderland Empire seems to have quite a reputation for hauntings.
http://mysterial.org.uk/cgi-bin/index.cgi?action=forum&board=tpn-inv&op=display&num=8752

The theatre, currently celebrating its centenary this year, is not only famous for being a 'comic graveyard' not least for the fact that the audiences in the North-East were at one time reknowned for being difficult to please1 but is also said to be one of the most haunted theatres in the UK. It was the last stage that Sid James (left) performed on (he collapsed mid-performance and literally 'died on stage'). Similar to Tommy Cooper's final exit, the audience thought that what they were witnessing was part of the act. It is now believed by some that James haunts the dressing room that he occupied before his death. Some months after his death, actors using the room reported becoming unsettled and experiencing strange sensations.

In 1989, another great British comic - Les Dawson - is reported to have been so troubled by something that he saw in the dressing room, he not only refused to describe in full what he had seen but he also turned down further invitations to work at the theatre2. It is believed that he saw the ghost of Sid James but we will never know as Dawson took the details of this encounter to the grave.

The Empire Theatre was officially opened in 1907 by Vesta Tilley, (right) a popular Music Hall entertainer and most interestingly, one of the top male impersonators of her time. She was also the first artist to tread the boards at the Empire. Massively popular in both the UK and America with her portrayals of dapper young men about town, sailors, soldiers and other male characters, she eventually retired from the limelight in 1920 - a year after her husband had been knighted for his services to the war effort. She went on to lead the life of a politician's wife before moving to Monte Carlo where she lived until her death in 1952. Some say that Tilley still appears at the theatre, haunting the auditorium along with another female, Molly Moselle.

Moselle, an assistant stage manager to a touring production of Ivor Novello's The Dancing Years, disappeared on January 14, 1949. Some say that she disappeared while on her way to post a birthday card, others say that she went missing on her way to keep a secret tryst with a Russian sea captain. In the sixties, a body (of the same height as Moselle) was recovered from the River Wear but remains unidentified. Although there were apparent sightings of her at various train stations around the country at the time of her disappearance, she was never seen again and what happened to Molly Moselle remains a mystery.3

Security staff have reported odd noises in the empty auditorium during the night and visitors to the theatre have also reported feelings of being watched and weird sensations. While it can be said that the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane is the most famous 'haunted' theatre (boasting the ghosts of Joseph Grimaldi as well as others), Sunderland's Empire is still a sure contender for the title of one of the most haunted theatres in the UK.

I can't imagine what a scary Sid James would be like. An eerie cackle echoing round the room, perhaps? An inappropriate pinch of the arse? Could it be a different, more malevolent actor's ghost?

Back