• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
gncxx said:
I can't imagine what a scary Sid James would be like. An eerie cackle echoing round the room, perhaps? An inappropriate pinch of the arse? Could it be a different, more malevolent actor's ghost?
Seems unlikely, doesn't it?

Perhaps a spectral Sid, standing in a darkened corner of the dingy dressing room, foretelling Dawson's own demise, only a year later?

We can only speculate. Underneath it all, Dawson was quite a sensitive soul and maybe something really unnerved him.

Long article here, worth a read:

More than just a Carry On?

Caricatured as low-brow and smutty, Carry On films were never much rated by movie critics. But do they tell us something more profound about the huge social changes in post-war Britain? The BBC's Carolyn Quinn (...) thinks so.

A few weeks ago on her Sunday morning radio programme, Gabby Logan made an unintentionally saucy comment and referred to having had a "Carry On moment". Without further explanation you know exactly what she meant.

Almost everyone has seen at least one of the films. Most people have a favourite Carry On scene or cringe-making pun.

The very first Carry On film - Sergeant - came out 50 years ago this August and its appearance spawned a series of 30 over the next two decades. I decided to put in an idea to make a documentary marking the golden anniversary - not the sort that had been made many times before, focusing on the saucy lines and, at times, the desperately sad story of the troupe of actors who became such familiar faces to us all.

Instead, I wanted to examine the amazing social changes society underwent over the 20 years during which Sid James, Charles Hawtrey, Joan Sims, Barbara Windsor and the rest were Carrying On.

Think about it. When Carry on Sergeant, a low budget black and white movie came out in 1958, National Service - the core of its plot - still had a couple of years to run in Britain.

By the time the last film of the main series, Carry on Emmannuelle, was released in 1978, life was very different - the permissive age was in full swing and the post-war era of deference had gone, replaced by the desire to escape the duties and limitations that most of those living in the 40s, 50s and some of the 60s accepted as part of their "lot" in life.

From 1958 to 1978 the Carry On films held up a mirror to British society, its institutions and its rapid changes. National Service ended, the National Health Service expanded rapidly, the sexual revolution arrived, the country faced bouts of industrial strife and working-class families started to holiday abroad.

'Proto-feminist'

Amid the slapstick, the innuendo and the corny puns, the Carry Ons reflected all of this. Derided by highbrow critics, it is only recently that social commentators have come to appreciate them for the unvarnished portrait they paint of a nation in flux.

Take Carry on Cabby (1963) for tentative stirrings of feminism as Hattie Jacques sets up an all-female taxi firm to rival that of husband Sid. 8)

In the words of Daily Telegraph columnist Simon Heffer, Cabbie is "certainly what Germaine Greer would call a proto-feminist film".

By the time of Carry on Girls, 10 years later, bra-burning feminists disrupt a beauty contest in the seaside town of Fircombe. :shock:

While the humour may have been upfront, any social commentary was more subtly conveyed, says Andy Medhurst, lecturer in film, media and cultural studies at Sussex University.

"They weren't films that set out to have an explicit social message but in a paradoxical kind of way that gives them more meaning," says Mr Medhurst. "They capture the way people living humdrum lives with limited horizons found a release in comedy. They seem to encapsulate an everyday life in Britain of that time."

continues....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7525258.stm

Peripart said:
Favourite line though, and surely one of the greatest lines in any film, was Kenneth Williams in Carry On Cleo:
"Infamy! Infamy! They've all got it infamy!"

Personally my favourite line is From Carry on Up the Khyber when Bernard Bresslaw as Bungit Din tells the guy who did the Indian Rope Trick to "Fakir-off!!"

Carry on Screaming remains one of my favourite films. Maybe it's a bit less double-entendre laden than the modern ones, but I find the humour in it to be a little less 'obvious'.

Up the Khyber (including the classic "Faqir off" quip) closely followed by Screaming are my favourite two Carry Ons.
They're all very watchable though - even the much maligned Carry on Columbus had its moments; loved the bit where Jack Douglas warns the girl that the sea is full of man-eating sharks. "Ooh, do you think they'd eat me whole" she asks, to which Jack replied "No. I've heard they spit that bit out.!

Carry on Screaming remains one of my favourite films. Maybe it's a bit less double-entendre laden than the modern ones, but I find the humour in it to be a little less 'obvious'.

Carry On Screaming is basically The Addams Family movie a few decades early. They even nicked one of sitcom Morticia's jokes ("Do you mind if I smoke?") for it. No bad thing, of course...

Khyber, Screaming and Cleo I think hit levels the makers didn't expect - chemistry or something. And curiously the two non-Carry On's, Follow that Camel and Don't Lose Your Head, are probably the next two in line.

The ones with more ordinary settings for me never reach those heights, but apart the last two or three they are all pretty enjoyable, although what youngsters make of them I don't know. But then, maybe they look at them the way I do silent films from Buster Keaton and the like?

Khyber, Screaming and Cleo I think hit levels the makers didn't expect - chemistry or something. And curiously the two non-Carry On's, Follow that Camel and Don't Lose Your Head, are probably the next two in line.

The ones with more ordinary settings for me never reach those heights, but apart the last two or three they are all pretty enjoyable, although what youngsters make of them I don't know. But then, maybe they look at them the way I do silent films from Buster Keaton and the like?
That comparison with Buster Keaton is interesting. Many people talk about Keaton's contribution and 'genius', but let's face it, who actually watches it? The early Carry Ons definitely made a contribution, but if it has a positive to the latest generation of movie goers, it's that it can't be rebooted in favour of coming up with something actually original. The result would be a throwback nobody these days would want to watch, or something so unlike the originals that why use the name? I wouldn't want to see Carry On Vlogging, or Carry On Superheroes. And I feel we're living in Carry On COVID.

Up the Khyber (including the classic "Faqir off" quip) closely followed by Screaming are my favourite two Carry Ons.
They're all very watchable though - even the much maligned Carry on Columbus had its moments; loved the bit where Jack Douglas warns the girl that the sea is full of man-eating sharks. "Ooh, do you think they'd eat me whole" she asks, to which Jack replied "No. I've heard they spit that bit out.!
Just stumbled across this thread. I love Carry Ons, and I'm sure that's a lot to do with nostalgia, from seeing them on TV as a kid. That said, I clearly recall the odd discomfort I felt as a 7 year old when mum took me and my brother to see "Carry On Camping" (or COC as I affectionately refer to it as) on its initial release. The premise of Sid and Bernie trying to get their ladies to agree to a holiday in a nudist camp struck me as a little dodgy for family viewing! I'm aware that makes me sound like a junior Mary Whitehouse. I don't think any of us knew where to look when Babs' bikini top pinged off!

It's funny that you should quote that one particular shark gag from "Columbus" because that was the only time I laughed when I saw that one.

Undoubtedly, "Cleo", "Screaming" and "Khyber" are all a cut above, especially the latter, which somehow transcends what a Carry On movie is at times and mines a more sublime seam of comedy during the climactic 'dinner under fire' scenes.

The premise of Sid and Bernie trying to get their ladies to agree to a holiday in a nudist camp struck me as a little dodgy for family viewing! I'm aware that makes me sound like a junior Mary Whitehouse. I don't think any of us knew where to look when Babs' bikini top pinged off!
Yup, Sid and Bernie's enthusiasm'd soon be pretty obvious, wouldn't it! :omg:

The bra-pinging scene had a big build-up followed by a couple of brief flashes.
True, it's racy, but kids find boobs and bras funny.

That scene would of course work perfectly well if we'd only seen the bra and the staff's scandalised faces.
The nudity was there for the Dads. :wink2:

We saw How The Grinch Stole Christmas on its release in a packed cinema. Loads of children were present who just howled with laughter when the ice cream landed on the lady's cleavage. It was uproar, you couldn't hear the dialogue for a couple of minutes afterwards. :chuckle:

Reminded me of the toilet scene in Jurassic Park. Saw that a few times in cinemas full of kids and they all screamed with hilarity at it.

Ahhh, children's laughter, what a beautiful sound... :cool:

From what I remember of that scene you don't actually see anything 'naughty' do you?
No, indeed, it's all done in the best possible taste. But as a sensitive 7 year old, it all seemed very naughty. And it ends with one of my all-time favourite Carry On lines, as Kenneth Williams squawks "Matron! Take them away!"

Great interview here with Sid, Bernard and Terry in between shooting 'Up the Jungle'.

I remember watching Carry On movies a lot when I was a kid, it seemed like they were permanently on the telly. But I haven't seen one for over 30 years so I have no idea how they've aged.

What's the film with the exploding toilet at a holiday park? Is that On The Buses? And is it the same film that has big cats on a bus in a safari park?

And is it the same film that has big cats on a bus in a safari park?

Exploding toilets and big cats on a bus??

I'm not sure Carlos, but that sounds like a fun movie. In fact, it sounds like something I may have dreamt!

I remember watching Carry On movies a lot when I was a kid, it seemed like they were permanently on the telly. But I haven't seen one for over 30 years so I have no idea how they've aged.

What's the film with the exploding toilet at a holiday park? Is that On The Buses? And is it the same film that has big cats on a bus in a safari park?
Holiday on the Buses was the one with exploding toilet. Mutiny on the Buses featured the safari scenes.

The Carry On's didn't appear in a vacuum. There was the Ealing comedies before them, a bit more highbrow (but not much) , and more or less contemporary the St Trinian's series (with the marvellous Arthur Cole) and probably loads of others I've forgotten. Even earlier were the George Formby and Will Hay movies.

The modern St Trinian's did a fairly good job of updating the genre, certainly better than Carry On Columbus.

The Carry On's didn't appear in a vacuum. There was the Ealing comedies before them, a bit more highbrow (but not much) , and more or less contemporary the St Trinian's series (with the marvellous Arthur Cole) and probably loads of others I've forgotten. Even earlier were the George Formby and Will Hay movies.

The modern St Trinian's did a fairly good job of updating the genre, certainly better than Carry On Columbus.

Do you mean George Cole? He was on UFO last week shooting down a UFO with a bazooka on the moon!

I saw a few minutes of Carry on Columbus 10-15 years ago when the film itself was itself 10-15 years old and it was embarrassing even more so than the originals are to me. The formula/format looks even more dated with more modern performers. In order to make it "work" you would have to change it to the point that it would essentially be something else.

I'm roughly a generation or so behind those who watched the original Carry Ons, I vaguely liked watching them as kid (obviously only understanding a small amount) but would have preferred something either more contemporary or something actually aimed at kids. I know few people who actually like them and that number must be slowly decreasing all the time.

They are products of their time, there's nothing wrong with that but I don't think they can be transposed to our times. There's been talk off and on of doing another since 2000ish, I think it would bomb as Columbus did. It's conceivable that a streaming service (who seem to have their own dark, esoteric metrics) might commission one but the nostalgia for the films is largely a parochial, British phenomenon. If they wanted some they could probably buy the rights to the whole back catalogue for several years for the less than paying for even a cheaply produced new one.

Ah who doesn't love a good carry on? (not counting Columbus of course!) my favourite moment comes from Don't lose your head. Hawtrey asks Williams if he is the man looking for the black finger nail to which Williams replies yes and Hawtrey bashes him on the finger with a small hammer.... silly yes but always gets me!

I saw a few minutes of Carry on Columbus 10-15 years ago when the film itself was itself 10-15 years old and it was embarrassing even more so than the originals are to me. The formula/format looks even more dated with more modern performers. In order to make it "work" you would have to change it to the point that it would essentially be something else.

I'm roughly a generation or so behind those who watched the original Carry Ons, I vaguely liked watching them as kid (obviously only understanding a small amount) but would have preferred something either more contemporary or something actually aimed at kids. I know few people who actually like them and that number must be slowly decreasing all the time.

They are products of their time, there's nothing wrong with that but I don't think they can be transposed to our times. There's been talk off and on of doing another since 2000ish, I think it would bomb as Columbus did. It's conceivable that a streaming service (who seem to have their own dark, esoteric metrics) might commission one but the nostalgia for the films is largely a parochial, British phenomenon. If they wanted some they could probably buy the rights to the whole back catalogue for several years for the less than paying for even a cheaply produced new one.
Even within a 'time' i don't think the sense of humour is a constant. Back in the 70's some people liked slapstick, some thought it puerile. some people liked farces, some couldn't see the point.

I agree there is no point in reviving the Carry On franchise, but that's largely because the gap is too long - it would be like trying to make a new Marx Brothers movie. And there is nothing naughty about sex any more. (And not much fun or mystique about sex, either - seems to me it's become more like going to the gym).

And there is nothing naughty about sex any more. (And not much fun or mystique about sex, either - seems to me it's become more like going to the gym).
I think I must be going to the wrong gym!!

Re: updating the Carry On franchise, I always thought (and without in any way trying to offend anyone involved) that 'Blackadder' owed quite a bit to the Carry Ons. The OTT comedy, the grotesque caricatures, the edge to the naughtiness, the daft scatological wordplay, all seemed to hark back to roots in the Carry Ons. That broadness of comedy fused with biting 'new-wave' satire seemed to work. I'm not sure it would work nowadays. Much great comedy from yesteryear relies a lot on the nostalgia factor. I'm very attuned to nostalgia. When I'm in the mood for them, a good Carry On film and 'Blackadder' can both still tickle my funny bone.

I think I must be going to the wrong gym!!

Re: updating the Carry On franchise, I always thought (and without in any way trying to offend anyone involved) that 'Blackadder' owed quite a bit to the Carry Ons. The OTT comedy, the grotesque caricatures, the edge to the naughtiness, the daft scatological wordplay, all seemed to hark back to roots in the Carry Ons. That broadness of comedy fused with biting 'new-wave' satire seemed to work. I'm not sure it would work nowadays. Much great comedy from yesteryear relies a lot on the nostalgia factor. I'm very attuned to nostalgia. When I'm in the mood for them, a good Carry On film and 'Blackadder' can both still tickle my funny bone.
I'd add Father Ted to that tradition as well, although obviously there is more than one influence at work.

Back