• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Wonderful writing and peerless acting. "Proud to be British" isn't something innate to my character - that scene is one of the few things that sparks it in me! Magnificent!
:twothumbs:
Completely agree. That dinner party scene at the end is sublime. It transcends Carry On and becomes something else entirely. Pure genius (and worth everything the cast had to go through while filming it!!).

The footage in the Pass was shot only a dozen miles (as the crow flies) from my house.
Wasn't it filmed somewhere in Snowdonia? Is that where you are, Cochise? Must be a wonderful area to live.

Wasn't it filmed somewhere in Snowdonia? Is that where you are, Cochise? Must be a wonderful area to live.
Yes. I live part way up the foothills on the other side of Snowdon. I believe the Pass scenes were shot on the Watkin Path which goes up Snowdon from the opposite side to me. I'm near the start of the Snowdon Ranger Path.

I was just checking out the cast and one of the very few regular Carry On actresses still with us is Valerie Leon (Carry On Girls, Camping, Up The Khyber, Up The Jungle, Matron and Again Doctor).
Did you know that she was also the Hai Karate girl in those iconic 70s adverts?
I'm surprised they got those past the 1968 trade descriptions act!

I was just checking out the cast and one of the very few regular Carry On actresses still with us is Valerie Leon (Carry On Girls, Camping, Up The Khyber, Up The Jungle, Matron and Again Doctor).
Did you know that she was also the Hai Karate girl in those iconic 70s adverts?
I'm surprised they got those past the 1968 trade descriptions act!

I used to be her postman but unfortunately never met her.

Indeed. Stillill could have done that hoary old line about "she opened the door in her dressing gown". "Oo-er! Funny place to have a door!" Boom! Boom!
I could have made up a good story but I’ve missed the boat now. She lives in a retired actors home so wasn’t specifically delivering to her unfortunately. I used to see Leonard Fenton regularly in there,always eating his breakfast in the dining area. Richard Attenborough was a resident when I was the postman but didn’t see him either.

Yes. I live part way up the foothills on the other side of Snowdon. I believe the Pass scenes were shot on the Watkin Path which goes up Snowdon from the opposite side to me. I'm near the start of the Snowdon Ranger Path.
Is Squirrel still on carpark duty? He let me off paying as I was the first one there.

Is Squirrel still on carpark duty? He let me off paying as I was the first one there.
Could well be - I don't use the car park, living just down the road.

The footage in the Pass was shot only a dozen miles (as the crow flies) from my house.
When I'd drive along beside Lake Bala I'd tell the kids we were approaching the Khyber Pass, and to look out for Burpas! :chuckle:

There's a nice CH5 documentary out about the fillums - Carry On: Secrets and Scandals.

The director Peter Rogers was notoriously economical. He would make the cast buy their own meals and wouldn't even send a car for them.

One day Charles Hawtrey was walking the last couple of miles to Pinewood Studios, having gone most of the way on the bus, when Laurence Olivier spotted him from his Roller.

Olivier asked where he was going, and said 'Don't they get you a car?' to which Hawtrey replied 'They don't even give us the bus fare!'
This shocked Olivier, who said it was a 'disgrace'.

Hawtrey did of course get a lift and told everyone about it, stressing what Olivier had said about the inadequate travel arrangements.
Kenneth Williams commented 'Ohhh, so THAT'S why they didn't pick him in the Carry On films!'

The 'asses' milk' bath thermostat malfunctioned and overheated the water, making Amanda Barrie as Cleopatra faint. A props worker saved her by grabbing her firmly-attached wig.

It's good on how the more dubious jokes (such as the above-mentioned 'Fakir - off!) were slipped past the censors.
Leslie Philips managed it just by being Leslie Philips. :chuckle:

One for the fans!

Last edited:
Back