• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Day Of The Animals: Tales Of Man Vs Beast (And Man Suffers)

:drink::revelry:far as I know it's not been shut yet. Oi!! barkeep .. mine's a pint of Bells and a peanut butter soda with two straws for the hamsters ..

well in that case....

surprise me with a malt and I'd like a vegetarian pie of some sort please!

How did this thread get mixed up with the Troll's Head thread?

Reactions: Doc
Meet Dindim, the penguin who returns to his human soulmate every year
Seabird makes annual trek to his rescuer on Brazilian island
Janet Tappin Coelho Rio de Janeiro

Four years ago, Joao Pereira, 71, found a South American Magellanic penguin covered in oil and starving on a beach on an island off the coast of Rio de Janeiro. A friendship was born.
Since they met in 2011, the creature, which normally breeds on the Patagonia coasts of Argentina and Chile, three to five thousand miles away, has become a faithful companion, swimming every year from its habitat to spend up to eight months living with the retired fisherman in his house on the island.

“I love the penguin like it’s my own child and I believe the penguin loves me,” said Mr Pereira in an interview with Globo TV , in which the bird honks with delight as he recognises his human friend. “No one else is allowed to touch him. He pecks them if they do. He lays on my lap, let’s me give him showers, allows me feed him sardines and to pick him up,” said Mr Pereira who has named the penguin Dindim.

Mr Pereira believes Dindim formed a bond with him after he found it stranded on the beach and took him home. Over a week he cleaned the creature’s tarred feathers in the shower, fed him a daily diet of fish to improve his strength then took him back to the sea to let him go.
“But he wouldn’t leave, he stayed with me for 11 months and then just after he changed his coat with new feathers he disappeared,” recalled Mr Pereira. “Everyone said he wouldn’t return but he has been coming back to visit me for the past four years. He arrives in June and leaves to go home in February and every year he becomes more affectionate as he appears even happier to see me.”

Biologist Joao Paulo Krajewski, who interviewed Mr Pereira for Globo TV, told The Independent: “I have never seen anything like this before. I think the penguin believes Joao is part of his family and probably a penguin as well. When he sees him he wags his tail like a dog and honks with delight.”

Penguins live for about 25 years and are known for their loyalty to their mates, staying with the same partner until they die. However, environmentalists warn that, while hundreds of the Magellanic species are known to naturally migrate thousands of miles north in search of food, there has been a worrying rise in the phenomenon of oceanic creatures washing up on Brazil’s beaches. Between 2010 to 2013, the Humpback Whale Institute in Bahia recorded more than 180 cases of mammals stranded along the Brazilian coast.

Professor David Zee, an oceanographer from Rio de Janeiro’s State University, said the increase is due in part to global climatic changes.
He explained: “Every year the strong ocean currents from the Falkland region traps and brings many species of seals, whales, dolphins, turtles and penguins to the Brazilian coast. This is becoming more problematic due to environmental changes and the increasing frequency of el Niño, in which the Pacific Ocean is warming up for prolonged periods of time.
“The marine creatures get confused and lost as they are dragged away on the surf from their normal habitat and end up in areas where they are unable to survive.”
Professor Zee added sea animals face “increased danger with the ongoing contamination of the oceans with oil and other derivatives” spilled by oil tankers.

Luckily the ending for Mr Pereira and Dindim has been a happy one, even though it is illegal in Brazil to keep wild animals as pets.
Prof Krajewski said: “Professionals who work with animals try to avoid relationships like this occurring so they are able to reintroduce the animal into the wild. But in this isolated case the authorities allowed Dindim to stay with Joao because of his kindness.” :)

“I’m flattered Dindim is happy to exchange his home with thousands of other penguins every year to find his way here to spend one-to-one time with me,” said Mr Pereira. “It’s a very special relationship.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...o-his-human-soulmate-every-year-a6917621.html

More penguin stuff on page.

An RAF Tornado was reportedly badly damaged after hitting a stray dog as it landed at RAF Akrotiri airbase in Cyprus.

The Tornado GR4 was returning after a night sortie on Tuesday and touching down at 200mph when the stray ran across the airbase's runway.

The pilot and navigator considered ejecting as the jet was too close to the ground to cancel the landing.

Neither were injured.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...damaged-after-hitting-stray-dog-a6925151.html

Apropos of nothing, Sheridan Smith's dog can say "Hello Mum". Okay, Sheridan has to keep repeating herself until the dog gets it right, but it's pretty cool and funny. And better than that dog that could say "sausages" on That's Life...

Apropos of nothing, Sheridan Smith's dog can say "Hello Mum". Okay, Sheridan has to keep repeating herself until the dog gets it right, but it's pretty cool and funny. And better than that dog that could say "sausages" on That's Life...

But can it drive a car?

Drunk man falls asleep at bus stop & wakes up to find fox trying to pull his trousers off.

fox-main_3595492b.jpg

A dog which fell off the side of a boat five weeks ago in the Pacific, and was presumed drowned, has been found.

Luna, a one-year-old German shepherd, was spotted on an island 70 miles off San Diego used for naval training.

The dog, owned by fisherman Nick Haworth, disappeared on 10 February as he was working about two miles away from San Clemente Island.

Nick looked for two days and US navy staff searched the island for about a week but found no sign of Luna.

"They were pulling in their [lobster] traps, and one minute Luna was there, and the next minute she was gone," said Sandy DeMunnik, spokeswoman for Naval Base Coronado.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/artic...found-five-weeks-later-70-miles-off-san-diego

Seal rescuers to DNA test rare black seals to see if they're long-lost brothers
By WBCaroline | Posted: March 16, 2016

COULD these two rescued seals be long-lost brothers?
Seal rescuers from the Cornish Seal Sanctuary are planning a DNA check of two rescued melanistic, meaning black, [seals] to see if they could be related.

All-black pup Badger was brought into the centre at Gweek, near Helston back in December 2014 after being rescued on the Isles on Scilly.
Badger, who is now fully grown, has become a permanent resident following the discovery that he suffers from a thyroid condition and needs regular medication.

But now a second black seal has been rescued from Wherrytown, Penzance.
He was an underweight youngster with minor flipper and head wounds who has been named Blackjack, following this winter's pup naming theme of board and card games.

Dan Jarvis from the centre's animal care team: "It's been nearly 10 years since we last saw a melanistic seal pup being admitted to us here, so it could be more than a coincidence that we have seen two in 18 months' The dark fur colour is a result of an excess of polymer called 'melanin' in the pigmentation."

A DNA comparison is now planned to see if they are related, which could mean their unusual skin pigment is inherited from one of their parents if that turns out to be the case.
Dan added: "If they are closely related then it will be exciting to reunite the siblings, albeit only briefly as Blackjack is due for release back to the wild as soon as he is big enough."

A dark or melanistic strain of grey seals has long been present in the Scottish population, but occurrences elsewhere have been extremely rare.
The sanctuary last saw a melanistic seal in November 2007, a pup named Nessa was rescued from St Ives and released three months later.

http://www.westbriton.co.uk/Seal-re...-long-lost/story-28936292-detail/story.html#1

14 interesting, large and largely extinct animals

Not only does the voice-over artist on that video have an annoying voice, but he hasn't taken the trouble to learn how to pronounce certain words properly.

Not only does the voice-over artist on that video have an annoying voice, but he hasn't taken the trouble to learn how to pronounce certain words properly.
I was impressed with the size of the animals. However his pronunciation's "particularly of the animals names" is terrible.

Can we rule out Bigfoot? He often was landed with the blame when the plaiting happened in North America.

Pickles, the dog that found the stolen World Cup
In 1966 host nation England won the football World Cup.
But the national team very nearly had no trophy to raise after triumphing over Germany in a memorable final.
In the run-up to the tournament, the cup was on display in central London when it was stolen from right under the noses of a round-the-clock police guard.
The police investigation into the theft quickly turned to farce with a flat-footed Scotland Yard failing to find the cup.
A dog called Pickles put the police to shame when he sniffed out the missing trophy while on his daily walk.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35803741

Dogged determination: Purin the beagle breaks second world record – video

Japanese beagle Purin sets the Guinness World Record for longest distance travelled by a dog on a ball. It’s not the first time Purin has featured in the Guinness World Records: Blockbusters! book – she has a separate record for most balls caught by a dog with its paws that she set in 2015. Her owner says they practise in the park for 15 minutes every day
:)

Source: Guinness World Records
Wednesday 23 March 2016 16.53 GMT

http://www.theguardian.com/world/vi...rin-beagle-second-guinness-world-record-video

Friday TV:
Britain's Whales and Shark
8pm - 8:30pm ITV, ITVHD London, STV
Review by:
Jack Seale
Ben Fogle and Ellie Harrison join a remarkable expedition to the Celtic Deep, a patch of warm water off the west coast of Wales where the most impressive ocean wildlife gathers. After a successful search for humpback whales and dolphins, the main event is the towing of a whale carcass into the area, to attract sharks. It works. Blue sharks arrive, multitudinous, beautiful and dangerous.

There’s some self-congratulatory goop to wade through: endless awe and wonder from the hosts, grandiose music swelling anthemically, and a curious obsession with telling us this is happening “in British waters”. Who cares? Ignore all that, though, and the sights are spectacular.

About this programme
1/2. Part one of two. More than 25 kinds of whales and dolphins and over 30 different sharks either visit or live in British waters. Off the coast of Ireland, Ben Fogle comes face to face with a pod of humpbacks and witnesses dolphins working with the whales to hunt down their prey. Sharks are much harder to find, so using the biggest shark bait available he and co-presenter Ellie Harrison prepare to head out to sea.

The companion programme, Britain's Sharks, can be seen at 9.00pm - 10.00pm.

http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/d222w4/britains-whales-and-sharks--s1-e1-britains-whales

Incredible moment dolphin drops in on pro-surfer’s wave
Watch the moment professional surfer Soli Bailey had quite a shock when a Dolphin dropped in on his wave as he was surfing in South Australia
[Video]
By Claire Lomas, video source mySURF.tv
2:03PM GMT 26 Mar 2016

Australian pro-surfer Soli Bailey was doing his usual - hitting the waves off the Yorke Peninsula in South Australia.

However, the surfer can be seen looking visibly shocked as a dolphin drops in, showing him exactly how it's done.

dolphin_surf_3601428b.jpg

The video shows 19-year-old Soli surfing the barrel of a huge wave, as the dolphin interrupts and shows off its surfing skills.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ear...ent-dolphin-drops-in-on-pro-surfers-wave.html

Search continues across Cornwall for missing blind rescue dog Bryn
By CMKirsteSmith | Posted: March 28, 2016

13562847-large.jpg

The search continues for a blind Mastiff cross who went missing five days ago.

Bryn, a Mastiff cross, went missing at around midnight on Wednesday night after he jumped the fence at his home in Amalveor, just outside St Ives, after smelling the scent of a badger.

Jenny Nankervis, who is Bryn's owner and Della Johnson, who used to be Bryn's foster mum, are appealing for help to try and track him down.
Della said: "Bryn (formerly Ray) was rescued as a blind dog from the municipal shelter in Yambol, Bulgaria.He went blind after catching an eye infection, which then went untreated.

Two charities, Rough Diamonds Dog Rescue and Blind Dog Rescue UK then brought Ray to the UK where he was fostered with Della Johnson in Essex for five months.
Della said: "Despite his size, disability and background he turned out to be an amazing once in a lifetime dog. Incredibly gentle, freed from his chain and kennel he became an absolute clown, always happy, always curious and always friendly. Given his size I was resigned to him perhaps not being rehomeable but just after Christmas an amazing forever home was offered with Jenny Nankervis in Amalveor. On a farm with a bed next to an aga.

"On Wednesday being his normal exuberant self, he smelt a badger and jumped a fence. He probably lost himself very quickly and hasn't been able to find his way [home]. He is not to used to being free without anyone and is blind and alone. I am devastated. He is a special special dog and this cannot be the end of his journey just when he has a chance for perfect happiness."

Bryn lives at Buthyn Dowr, Amalveor near St Ives and his owners are desperate to get him home safe.
Since Bryn went missing an online campaign has been launched to try and get as much help as possible to try and track him down.
Over the Bank Holiday weekend residents in St Ives and the surrounding area volunteered their time to help look for Bryn but he is still yet to be found.

Della said: "Bryn the blind dog is still missing from TR26. Over the weekend local people turned out, despite terrible weather, to search Towednack after a possible sighting from Thursday morning. Sadly, no further sightings have been reported. Bryn is a healthy dog and there is no reason to suppose he is anything other than lost and disorientated.
"The hopes are now for a new reported sighting, which will provide the K9 searchers with an area to search with their dogs. Clothes and his bed have been left out in Towednack for Bryn, in case he is in the area. The family continue to search. All we want is Bryn home safe, back where everyone loves him. Please continue to share him, look for him and search all your outbuildings. We think he is likely to be local, but he could have travelled.

"Words cannot express how grateful everyone is for the people of Cornwall who have taken Bryn to their hearts and searched and rooted for him. If kindness could bring Bryn home he'd be home tonight."

http://www.cornishman.co.uk/Search-...cue-dog-Bryn/story-29007895-detail/story.html
Read more: http://www.cornishman.co.uk/Search-...tory-29007895-detail/story.html#ixzz44EoVggyH

Back