• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Day Of The Animals: Tales Of Man Vs Beast (And Man Suffers)

Russian Couple Share Their Home with a Full-Grown Brown Bear
By Spooky on June 1st, 2016 Category: Animals

Svetlana and Yuriy Panteleenko seem like a perfectly average family, but that’s until they introduce you to their 23-year-old adopted son, Stepan, a 300-lb brown bear. The unlikely family do almost everything together, right from playing in the backyard, to cuddling and watching TV on the sofa.

Stepan was just three months old when the Panteleenkos adopted him. He had been found by hunters after reportedly losing his mother and was in very bad shape. So they took him in and have been happily living together for the last 23 years. The couple say that because Stepan has been domesticated from a very young age, he has developed the gentlest temperament. He loves nothing more than hugging his parents every chance he gets and cuddling next to them on the sofa in the evening. “He absolutely loves people and is a really sociable bear – despite what people might think, he is not aggressive at all. We have never been bitten by Stepan,” Svetlana says.

Stepan-the-bear-600x341.jpg

Photo: Caters News

Frankly, the only thing Svetlana and Yuriy can complain about regarding Stepan is his big appetite. He goes through about 25 kg of fish a day, as well as lots of eggs and vegetables, but his favorite treat is a can of condensed milk. “It’s a wonder he doesn’t eat us out of house and home,” his adoptive mother jokingly says. ...

http://www.odditycentral.com/animal...-their-home-with-a-full-grown-brown-bear.html

Everything goes well until the day they forget to feed him...

. . . and the bear licked the middle-child and said, "Just right!" and the parents said,
"We never liked her much, which is why we left her as a sacrifice on top of the tree stump."
Then they returned to the snow and their scantily-clad extras and they all perved happily ever after! :clap:

Their son was killed. They believe his parrot is telling people who pulled the trigger.

A possible murder witness is talking.

The question is whether anyone should listen.

His name is Bud, and he’s an African gray parrot in Ensley Township, Mich., with a filthy mouth, according to NBC affiliate WOOD-TV.

His latest phrase — the one he won’t stop shouting at the top of his lungs mimicking his owner’s voice — is a chilling one: “Don’t f—ing shoot!”

The bird’s antics might be laughed off, were it not for the fact that Bud’s owner, 45-year-old Martin Duram, was fatally shot at his home in May 2015, according to ABC affiliate WABC. His body was found near his wife, Glenna, who had suffered a gunshot wound to her head but is alive. Although police initially assumed Glenna Duram was a victim of the shooting, police reports obtained by WOOD-TV reveal that she is now a suspect in the slaying. ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ling-people-who-pulled-the-trigger/?tid=sm_tw

Vid at link.

Not a news story, but I couldn't find anywhere else to post this. I saw this wee beastie while feeding my infirm grandmother's garden birds.
It's not the clearest video, but it's the best my phone will do. It was right under a bird feeder. My thought is some kind of avian gut parasite that's fallen out of a bird's backside.

That does look rather like a parasitic worm.

Sailing around the hentire world.

Monique, the hen who is sailing around the world

It's a tale of perfect camaraderie and of co-dependence.

Two years at sea have fostered a close relationship between the two fellow sailors as they cross the globe, through warm weather and cold.

One is a 24-year-old male. The other is a hen.

Guirec Soudee - the 24-year-old - is the one who does most of the hard work on board the boat.

Monique is the hen, who spends most of her time admiring the view from the deck, and laying the occasional egg. ...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europ...social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook

Been a terrible week in Orlando. First that singer was killed, then there was Pulse Club mass killing, now a kid gets snatched by an alligator at Disney's Grand Floridian resort.

Small boy missing after reported incident with alligator near Disney World
Toddler was dragged into Seven Seas Lagoon around 9:30 p.m. ET
The Associated Press Posted: Jun 14, 2016 11:52 PM ET

Authorities are searching for a two-year-child who was dragged into the water by an alligator near Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa in Orlando.

Multiple news outlets report that Orange County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Rose Silva says the boy was dragged into the Seven Seas Lagoon about 9:30 p.m. Tuesday.

Deputies are continuing to comb the waters, with officials saying at a news conference after 1 a.m. ET that about 50 officials are involved in the search and rescue effort. Sonar equipment was being employed, with the search to continue through the night.

"We're not leaving until we've recovered the child," said Jerry Demings, sheriff from Orange County.

The child is from Nebraska, with the family of five visiting the Orlando area. The child's father, who suffered minor injuries, tried to rescue him when he was pulled into the water but was unsuccessful, according to the sheriff.

Demings said he didn't believe any video cameras provide coverage for the area in which the incident occurred.

Alligators common to the area are usually 1.2 metres to 2 metres long, he added.

A spokesperson from Disney said the company was "devastated by this tragic accident," and providing support to the family as well as law enforcement.

"We are putting every effort forward," Chad Weber, an officer of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, told Reuters.

Continued at http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/alligator-child-report-orlando-disney-1.3635778

Three lions proved to be man-eaters in India's Gir sanctuary will spend the rest of their lives in captivity.

A pride of 18 lions in western Gujarat state were captured after three people were killed between April and May.

Human remains were found in the excrement of one adult male and two young female lions, Gujarat's chief conservator AP Singh said.

The male lion will be sent to a zoo, while the females will remain in captivity at a rescue centre.

Mr Singh told reporters officials believed that only the male lion had actually attacked and killed humans, with the lionesses eating "leftover" meat. ...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-36546151

From 2013 but I don't think its on the board.

Experience: I was swallowed by a hippo
'There was no transition at all, no sense of approaching danger. It was as if I had suddenly gone blind and deaf'

The hippo who tried to kill me wasn't a stranger – he and I had met before a number of times. I was 27 and owned a business taking clients down the Zambezi river near Victoria Falls. I'd been working this stretch of river for years, and the grouchy old two-ton bull had carried out the occasional half-hearted attack. I'd learned to avoid him. Hippos are territorial and I knew where he was most likely to be at any given time.

That day I'd taken clients out with three apprentice guides – Mike, Ben and Evans – all in kayaks. We were near the end of the tour, the light was softening and we were taking in the tranquillity. The solid whack I felt behind me took me by surprise.

I turned just in time to see Evans, who had been flung out of his boat, flying through the air. His boat, with his two clients still in it, had been lifted half out of the water on the back of the huge bull hippo.

There was a cluster of rocks nearby and I yelled at the nearest apprentice to guide everyone there, to safety. Then I turned my boat and paddled furiously towards Evans.

I reached over to grab his outstretched hand but as our fingers were about to touch, I was engulfed in darkness. There was no transition at all, no sense of approaching danger. It was as if I had suddenly gone blind and deaf.

I was aware that my legs were surrounded by water, but my top half was almost dry. I seemed to be trapped in something slimy. There was a terrible, sulphurous smell, like rotten eggs, and a tremendous pressure against my chest. My arms were trapped but I managed to free one hand and felt around – my palm passed through the wiry bristles of the hippo's snout. It was only then that I realised I was underwater, trapped up to my waist in his mouth.

I wriggled as hard as I could, and in the few seconds for which he opened his jaws, I managed to escape. I swam towards Evans, but the hippo struck again, dragging me back under the surface. I'd never heard of a hippo attacking repeatedly like this, but he clearly wanted me dead. ...

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/may/04/i-was-swallowed-by-a-hippo?CMP=share_btn_tw

From 2013 but I don't think its on the board.

Experience: I was swallowed by a hippo
'There was no transition at all, no sense of approaching danger. It was as if I had suddenly gone blind and deaf'

The hippo who tried to kill me wasn't a stranger – he and I had met before a number of times. I was 27 and owned a business taking clients down the Zambezi river near Victoria Falls. I'd been working this stretch of river for years, and the grouchy old two-ton bull had carried out the occasional half-hearted attack. I'd learned to avoid him. Hippos are territorial and I knew where he was most likely to be at any given time.

That day I'd taken clients out with three apprentice guides – Mike, Ben and Evans – all in kayaks. We were near the end of the tour, the light was softening and we were taking in the tranquillity. The solid whack I felt behind me took me by surprise.

I turned just in time to see Evans, who had been flung out of his boat, flying through the air. His boat, with his two clients still in it, had been lifted half out of the water on the back of the huge bull hippo.

There was a cluster of rocks nearby and I yelled at the nearest apprentice to guide everyone there, to safety. Then I turned my boat and paddled furiously towards Evans.

I reached over to grab his outstretched hand but as our fingers were about to touch, I was engulfed in darkness. There was no transition at all, no sense of approaching danger. It was as if I had suddenly gone blind and deaf.

I was aware that my legs were surrounded by water, but my top half was almost dry. I seemed to be trapped in something slimy. There was a terrible, sulphurous smell, like rotten eggs, and a tremendous pressure against my chest. My arms were trapped but I managed to free one hand and felt around – my palm passed through the wiry bristles of the hippo's snout. It was only then that I realised I was underwater, trapped up to my waist in his mouth.

I wriggled as hard as I could, and in the few seconds for which he opened his jaws, I managed to escape. I swam towards Evans, but the hippo struck again, dragging me back under the surface. I'd never heard of a hippo attacking repeatedly like this, but he clearly wanted me dead. ...

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/may/04/i-was-swallowed-by-a-hippo?CMP=share_btn_tw

I need to re-find that trampoline circus dwarf accidentally swallowed by Hippo thing now .. I think someone debunked it? .. one of those things I should feel guilty about laughing at but ..

hippo.png

For more on the hippo / dwarf story see:

Circus Hippo Eats Dwarf Who Bounced Into Its Mouth?
https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...-eats-dwarf-who-bounced-into-its-mouth.67077/

Last edited by a moderator:
I need to re-find that trampoline circus dwarf accidentally swallowed by Hippo thing now .. I think someone debunked it? .. one of those things I should feel guilty about laughing at but ..

View attachment 2780
Called into question in this book -
20160617_135901_zpsvpg6va1r.jpg

Apparently it began as a Usenet post in 1994, and spiralled out from there. It's a good book.

Called into question in this book -

Apparently it began as a Usenet post in 1994, and spiralled out from there. It's a good book.
It looks good :), I've flicked through his other book Elephants On Acid before at a friend's house in the past. I might ask his girlfriend if I can borrow that book and read the whole thing now.

It looks good :), I've flicked through his other book Elephants On Acid before at a friend's house in the past. I might ask his girlfriend if I can borrow that book and read the whole thing now.
You should, he's an engaging write with a lot of knowledge. The first book of his I read was Museum of Hoaxes, and I've been following his website ever since. It's not updated as often as it used to be (I suppose he's busy), but there's some fun stuff on there.

You should, he's an engaging write with a lot of knowledge. The first book of his I read was Museum of Hoaxes, and I've been following his website ever since. It's not updated as often as it used to be (I suppose he's busy), but there's some fun stuff on there.
Thanks for the link, I'll check it out after work ..

Colorado mother fights off mountain lion that attacked five-year-old son
Boy playing outside home suffers injuries to face, head and neck
Lion killed as presumed to be ‘either injured or very ill’, authorities say
Associated Press in Denver
Saturday 18 June 2016 14.07 BST

Authorities say a mother fought off a mountain lion that attacked her five-year-old son in Colorado on Friday night.

The Pitkin County Sheriff’s Office told ABC7 the boy had been playing outside with his older brother around 8pm when the mountain lion attacked, near their home about 10 miles north west of Aspen.

The mother heard screams from outside and “physically removed her son from the mountain lion”, according to a police statement.
The sheriff’s office said the boy’s mother ran outside when she heard screaming; the boy’s face, head and neck were injured. He was taken to an Aspen area hospital and county undersheriff Ron Ryan told the Aspen Times the boy was conscious and alert.
His mother sustained minor injuries to her hands and legs. An Aspen Valley Hospital spokesperson told NBC News she was “released in good condition”.

Sheriff’s deputies and forest service officers found the mountain lion under some trees by the family’s home, near toys and bicycles. The forest service officer killed the lion, the sheriff’s department said.
“Since it was still there, it was either injured or very ill, so they dispatched it,” Ryan said.

Mountain lions are not often seen in Colorado, and attacks are rare. The state parks and wildlife department says there have been “fewer than a dozen fatalities in North America in more than 100 years”.
If a lion approaches, people should stay calm, attempt to back away slowly and try to appear large. If a lion attacks, the department suggests fighting back with anything at hand, and doing everything to stand up.
“Throw stones, branches or whatever you can get your hands on without crouching down or turning your back,” officials recommend. “Wave your arms slowly and speak firmly. What you want to do is convince the lion you are not prey and that you may in fact be a danger to the lion.”

Parks officials will examine the Aspen lion to determine whether it was ill, and also look for a second lion reported in the area.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jun/18/colorado-mother-fights-off-mountain-lion

Stop vets offering homeopathy – placebo doesn’t work for pets
By Danny Chambers

People trust veterinary surgeons because their medical knowledge is the result of years of study and training at formally accredited institutions, based on sound research.

You certainly wouldn’t expect to be recommended treatments based on a vet’s personal belief in therapies that have no grounding in science. And yet it happens.

I’m talking about homeopathy, which has no effect beyond placebo. Amazingly it is still offered and promoted by a small number of vets in the UK.

This is plain weird when you think about it. Animals do not experience a placebo effect because they are unaware they are being treated. Any perceived medical benefit is merely due to the care-giver effect – the subjective assessment by the animal’s owner or clinician. Or wishful thinking as it is also known. So, unlike people, animals do not even receive the psychological benefits from homeopathic treatments. ...

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...campaign=hoot&cmpid=SOC|NSNS|2016-GLOBAL-hoot

So, unlike people, animals do not even receive the psychological benefits from homeopathic treatments. ...

I heard my father (a surgeon) and his friend (a vet) discussing this. Their consensus was: the dog needs to take these homeopathic drops 10 times a day. All this extra attention has a positive effect, even on a dog. :D

Parrot could help prosecute murder suspect

Phil Dawson, WZZM 7:23 p.m. EDT June 24, 2016

SAND LAKE, Mich. — A Sand Lake couple’s pet parrot could be used as evidence to prove Glenna Duram murdered her husband Martin.

14 months after Martin Duram was found dead from multiple gunshot wounds in his Sand Lake home, Glenna Duram, 48, is in jail and accused of his murder.

His is family thinks the couple quarreled over unpaid bills, foreclosure on their home and her gambling debts.

They believe she killed him and tried but failed to kill herself.

A few weeks after his death last May, the couple’s parrot started repeating a loud, profane argument between a male and a female:

The man told her to, “Get out.”

“Where will I go,” she replied.

Then, in what family believes are his last words, "Don’t f----ing shoot.”

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...4/parrot-martin-duram-glenna-murder/86360056/

There's a Guinness World Record for THAT? Hilarious video of a Jack Russell Terrior popping 100 balloons in 39 seconds goes down in the history books

In today's Guinness World Record you never knew existed, Twinkie, a Jack Russell Terrier from California, USA, has burst into the history books for popping 100 balloons...in just 39.08 seconds.

That's an incredible 2.5 balloons per second.

The previous 41.67 record was set by Cally the Wonderdog on Britain's Got Talent in 2015, but Cally must be shaking in her boots right now, as Twinkie slammed her record by more than two seconds.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...0-balloons-39-seconds-goes-history-books.html

Back