• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

Revisiting The Daleks' Master Plan reminded me of the renegade timelord called The Meddling Monk (aka the Time Meddler), originally played by Peter Butterworth.
Correct me if I'm wrong but, apart from a couple of possibly non-canon audio adventures, I don't think he's made an appearance in DW since 1965 or so.
Anyone else feel he would be a good character to bring back (provided they don't overdo the whimsicality)?

Anyone else feel he would be a good character to bring back (provided they don't overdo the whimsicality)?

Yep. They could have fun with the casting of a new Monk. Big Finish had Rufus Hound as their Monk.

I would also love to see the Rani return. I'm sure they could have lots of fun with her too. It seems a bit odd they haven't done it already, but in a way having Missy pop up as the female Master might have sidelined the idea of bringing the Rani back.

I suppose now we are in the realm of gender fluid regeneration, we could have the Meddling Nun (that would be a blast) and a male version of the Rani. The Rano, perhaps?

Last edited:
Yep. They fould have fun with the casting of a new Monk. Big Finish had Rufus Hound as their Monk.

I would also love to see the Rani return. I'm sure they could have lots of fun with her too. It seems a bit odd they haven't done it already, but in a way having Missy pop up as the female Master might have sidelined the idea of bringing the Rani back.

I suppose now we are in the realm of gender fluid regeneration, we could have the Meddling Nun (that would be a blast) and a male version of the Rani. The Rano, perhaps?
I think the Meddling Monk and the Rani belong to the people who created them, the author of each character possibly dead by now, making permission to use them a tad difficult.

But the Meddling Monk and the Rani teaming up sounds like a brilliant idea....

I think the Meddling Monk and the Rani belong to the people who created them, the author of each character possibly dead by now, making permission to use them a tad difficult.

But the Meddling Monk and the Rani teaming up sounds like a brilliant idea....
If that is the case then their estates would be able grant permission and they would be less likely to care ie dangle some money and they would say yes whereas the original creator may not do so. Top of my head Pip and Jane Baker for the Rani and wanting to say Dennis Spooner for the Monk?

Just checked, engage smug mode :)

If that is the case then their estates would be able grant permission and they would be less likely to care ie dangle some money and they would say yes whereas the original creator may not do so. Top of my head Pip and Jane Baker for the Rani and wanting to say Dennis Spooner for the Monk?

Just checked, engage smug mode :)
May I compliment you on the sultriness of your smug mode?:loveu:

Didn't the BBC learn their lesson from allowing Terry Nation to keep the rights to the Daleks? I'm not 100% sure, but I think after that, generally they made sure they didn't lose out financially like that again.

I'm not sure how across the board it is though, or how it works. I've noticed that the end credits of episodes often credit the creators of various aliens, or characters, such as "Sontarans created by Robert Holmes".

I think K9 and Nyssa (neither of whom were initially planned to continue beyond their first story) have had a few rights issues at times.

Didn't the BBC learn their lesson from allowing Terry Nation to keep the rights to the Daleks? I'm not 100% sure, but I think after that, generally they made sure they didn't lose out financially like that again.

I'm not sure how across the board it is though, or how it works. I've noticed that the end credits of episodes often credit the creators of various aliens, or characters, such as "Sontarans created by Robert Holmes".

I think K9 and Nyssa (neither of whom were initially planned to continue beyond their first story) have had a few rights issues at times.
The rights for the Brigadier were retained by Henry Lincoln.

Yep. They could have fun with the casting of a new Monk. Big Finish had Rufus Hound as their Monk.

In one of the DW audio adventures, the Monk did regenerate as the Meddling Nun!

UNIT, the super secret organisation.
I doubt they need to be secret anymore. The entire population of Earth in the 'Doctor Who' universe must now have experienced several mass invasions by aliens! There's probably no reason for all those Zygons to carry on hiding behind their human disguises any longer. Be prepared to find out your granny is a freaky besuckered shape-shifter.

The effects budget has definitely increased.
It does look pretty good. BBC is throwing money at it.
Not like the bad old days when they ran the budget right down.

I doubt they need to be secret anymore. The entire population of Earth in the 'Doctor Who' universe must now have experienced several mass invasions by aliens! There's probably no reason for all those Zygons to carry on hiding behind their human disguises any longer. Be prepared to find out your granny is a freaky besuckered shape-shifter.
Ah but has been shown in show the entire population of Earth instantly forgets!

And didn't half of the invasions etc happen in an alternate timeline?
That still leaves half of quite a lot.

I suppose with "Doctor Who", it is always possible that anything and/or everything previously has happened in alternative timelines. And fans still get their knickers in a twist over points of continuity! That's fans for you, I guess.

Last edited:
Forgets what?

Seriously (well, kind of)...didn't that malarkey get sorted out in 1969? Or did I miss something?
There's a David Tennant story where he starts realing off invasions and people are looking at him blankly and he bemoans humanities collective amnesia.
However, the entire universe as we know it in Dr Who is all just a figment of Amy's imagination, she willed it into existence during her marriage to Rory. So anything can happen.

There's a David Tennant story where he starts realing off invasions and people are looking at him blankly and he bemoans humanities collective amnesia.
However, the entire universe as we know it in Dr Who is all just a figment of Amy's imagination, she willed it into existence during her marriage to Rory. So anything can happen.
My personal theory is that the Fourth Doctor nodded off in his deckchair on Brighton beach in the first 5 minutes of "The Leisure Hive" (1980) and everything we've seen since then is just his dream. At some point, he will wake up still in the deckchair with a very bored Romana next to him and K9 in severe need of repair sitting on the shingle beside her. Romana will say "oh, so you're awake at last. So.... how about that trip to Argolis now?" And the Doctor will reply "I don't think so. I fancy some fish & chips....."

Or maybe that's MY dream.....?

My personal theory is that the Fourth Doctor nodded off in his deckchair on Brighton beach in the first 5 minutes of "The Leisure Hive" (1980) and everything we've seen since then is just his dream. At some point, he will wake up still in the deckchair with a very bored Romana next to him and K9 in severe need of repair sitting on the shingle beside her. Romana will say "oh, so you're awake at last. So.... how about that trip to Argolis now?" And the Doctor will reply "I don't think so. I fancy some fish & chips....."

Or we are still in the Land of Fiction being controlled by the Master of said land. Or what we are seeing are all just games put together by the Celestial Toymaker. Not that we'll ever see him again... :)

But which Romana?:reyes:

But which Romana?:reyes:
It ought to be the Lalla Ward version, but since she is Tom Baker's ex that could be a bit awkward. Maybe the Doctor has been snoozing in his deckchair for so long that Romana will have relieved her boredom by regenerating again. I'm thinking.... Miriam Margolyes?

It seemed obvious right from seeing the first pic of Harris in costume. I don't have any real desire to see the Toymaker come back, as "The Celestial Toymaker" is definitely my least favourite Hartnell story. I know some fans love it. To me, it has a dopey 'Play School' vibe running through it, and the sole surviving episode (ep 4) makes me cringe. Cheap, shoddy, sub-"Crackerjack" stuff (CRACKERJAAAACKK!!!)

But I am optimistic that if anyone can do good stuff with the Toymaker, it is Russell T Davies. Give us a Toymaker for the 21st Century, Russell....

.... but if you're looking for other old bad guys to resurrect, drop me a line and I'll let you have my wish list :)

Well, looks like the Disney money is having an effect on CGI budget, at least.

Let us hope the script matches it.

Slightly sad that it isn't another multi Doctor anniversary team up, though.

Last edited:
Back