• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

When the hunt started in 1982, there were 136 episodes missing; now we are down to 108, but the rate of recoveries
has really slowed down over the last decade.

The main casualties are
episodes broadcast between 1964 and 1969.

If you want to know more, have a look

here and here .

Best wishes

Paul

I've not read the whole thread so apologies if it's been mentioned before but watching a documentary recently they mentioned a series of stories where toys came alive and murdered their owners. Apparently it caused panic with kids refusing to go sleep in the same room as teddy.

I have absolutely no recollection of this story-line this could be because I was a Pertwee/Baker era watcher and it was either before or after them.....any information anybody?

Sigh...if I must humiliate myself..."Terror of the Autons", from the second Pertwee season. Introduced the Master. The demonic killer doll is a one off assassination device. Other fun surprises include a murderous inflatable chair (it suffocates you, rather like a carrier bag) and a plastic daffodil that spits quick setting glue over the nose and mouth of it's victim.

Quite like this one, but it's got a shite ending, quite frankly.

Thank you, now the long wait for it to appear on UK Gold begins.......Sir, I award you your anarok....

Hey, it was you that wanted to know. Do I ever get credit for biting socio-cultural analysis*? No, I do not. Do I get noticed when rambling on about shite 70s TV? I do indeed.

*In the event of ever having written any

My son asked for me to come back upstairs and tuck him in tonight and as I did so he asked, "When can I get seeing that programme about Doctor Who you taped?" :p

Story on Sci Fi Wire here. (I'da linked it to the BBCi version of the same story, but it's clearly been written up by a hamster with learning difficulties and an attitude problem. Bloody patronizing BBC webpage drones. :hmph: )

Phil Collinson, producer of 'Sea of Souls' and 'Linda Green', is to produce the new 13x45 minute eps for the Beeb.

And writer Russell Davies, only writing 7 eps., enigmatically mutters something about a planned companion called 'Rose'. (It reads a bit like a huge chunk of juicy info. has been edited out, and that one non sequitur of a comment is all that's been left in.) :confused:

Breaking Who's.............

According to the Scotsman and BBCi it's going to be
Christopher Eccleston ( played the mancunian son of God in 'Second Coming').

Sounds like he might be a good choice;

Story at:
http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=2673717

And:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/3552087.stm

Shallow Grave actor is new Dr Who

Christopher Eccleston will become the ninth Doctor Who
Shallow Grave actor Christopher Eccleston has been named as the new Doctor Who to front the cult BBC sci-fi show when it returns next year.

Eccleston, who starred alongside Nicole Kidman in the horror movie The Others, will be the ninth TV Time Lord to control the Tardis in a 13-part series.

The 40-year-old has starred in Flesh and Blood, The Second Coming, and BBC series Our Friends in the North.

The BBC said the Salford-born actor would take "a fresh, modern approach".

Jane Tranter, BBC Controller of Drama Commissioning, said: "We are delighted to have cast an actor of such calibre in one of British television's most iconic roles.

Russell T Davies
BBC executive producer
"It signals our intention to take Doctor Who into the 21st century, as well as retaining its core traditional values - to be surprising, edgy and eccentric."

Executive producer and writer Russell T Davies said: "Christopher was our first choice.

"His casting raises the bar for all of us. It's going to be a magnificent, epic, entertaining journey, and I can't wait to start."

Doctor Who's most notorious enemies - the Daleks
The hugely-popular Doctor Who show ran for 26 years from 1963 and the new series will be filmed in Cardiff later this year.

Eccleston follows in the footsteps of William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy and Paul McGann.

He first came to public attention with his portrayal of Derek Bentley in the film, Let Him Have It before notching up a wealth of TV and movie credits.

He was then snapped up by Hollywood and was cast in David Cronenberg's eXistenZ with Jude Law, and Gone in Sixty Seconds with Nicholas Cage..........

And again:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,1174134,00.html

I reckon he's a great choice for thr Doctor.

It seems to be a sign that the BBC are actually taking the whole thing seriously.

Of course Russel T also worked with Eccleston on "The Second Coming". :)

Yes,a good choice , intense, a bit otherworldly but not too well known, a bit like a skinnier Patrick Troughton in a way. Thankfully not Eddie Izzard.

Now all they have to do is cast a couple of attractive female assistants to make it worth watching for the totty factor at least.

Chris Eccleston's a great choice, cracking actor with just the charisma needed for the part. I'm chuffed to bits, just hope they get the rights to the daleks now- how cool would that be?!:D

Is Mark Gattiss ("Mickey love" from the League of Gentlemen) coming back on board as a writer? He has written Dr Who before.

wolfie said:
Is Mark Gattiss ("Mickey love" from the League of Gentlemen) coming back on board as a writer? He has written Dr Who before.
According to Doctor Who magazine the writing team is Russel T Davis, Steven Moffat, Mark Gatiss, Paul Cornell and Robert Shearman.

yes, I thought that too.

A fresh, modern, approach, eh? Means the Daleks now have chips instead of valves??

Homo Aves said:
A fresh, modern, approach, eh? Means the Daleks now have chips instead of valves??

and legs so they can climb stairs aswell :rolleyes: :D

I think it's a great choice.
I remember watching Dr.Who from the Petre Davison era onwards. I loved it. How did the series work though? Was it one story that ran as an entire series or a series of serial stories that ran for ages.
I remember them running to 2 or 3 parts. What format will these new ones be? I reckon hour long feature episodes would be better than half hour episodic serial format.

i thought they had a anti gravity thingy once?

Not trying to sound like a boring anorak :

They've been able to climb stairs since the W.Hartnell days. In "The Chase" they were seen all over the decks of the Mary Celeste. The decks were at different heights, connected by stairs.
It was the more jokey times of Douglas Adams in "Destiny of the Daleks" where Tom took the mickey by asking a dalek how it would chase him up a ventilation access that really implanted this concept of not being able to climb stairs.

The end of the first episode of "Remembrance of the Daleks" was something else though when Sylvester just couldn't escape by running upstairs.

McAvennie said:
I think it's a great choice.
I remember watching Dr.Who from the Petre Davison era onwards. I loved it. How did the series work though? Was it one story that ran as an entire series or a series of serial stories that ran for ages.
I remember them running to 2 or 3 parts. What format will these new ones be? I reckon hour long feature episodes would be better than half hour episodic serial format.
Each 'season' was about 2 or 3 stories, and the length of the stories would typically be between 3 and 6 episodes, although some stories -Pat Troughton's 'final' story, The War Games, for example- ran much longer.

So far as the new series is concerned, I've a suspicion that although the 'season' will be much shorter than of old, since the episode length will be nearly twice as long it'll all balance out. Some of the soundbites issuing from Davies seem to indicate that he'll write the first story of the series, then Gatiss and the others will contribute their efforts, and then Davies will pen the season closer. But I may be misreading that. :)

errrrrrrr - an interview with Christopher Eccleston.

Eccleston said the Doctor would be updated for 21st Century audiences - without the scarves or hats worn by previous doctors.

The actor said: "I don't think he's going to be as eccentric and as foppish as he was in some of his incarnations.
bah:(

"My concern, without getting on a soapbox, is that the show can address social issues, and address what's going on around us.
that's Panorama & co's job, I just want to see him battling aliens that a so obviously a bloke in a crap outfit;)

Eccleston said he also wanted the Doctor to have a love interest. "He's got two hearts. They can both be broken," he said.
oh, please no:rolleyes:

The good news is Michael Grade has been appointed the new Director General of the BBC.
:hmph:

Michael Grade New Chairman of the BBC

Of course, as Chairman, he's not supposed to be too closely involved in the day to day running of the Beeb.

looks like your going to have to change your speculative cartoon Andro....apparently...The BBC‚s new chairman, Michael Grade has agreed not to interfere with the new Dr Who series, "As long as I don't have to watch it."

Nice to know the new chairman is so IGNORANT :)

I loved watching Dr. Who as a child. I really don't remember much about it honestly. I am excited to see they are starting it up again. Hopefully we will get it across the pond!!

Hook Innsmouth said:
looks like your going to have to change your speculative cartoon Andro....apparently...The BBC‚s new chairman, Michael Grade has agreed not to interfere with the new Dr Who series, "As long as I don't have to watch it."

Nice to know the new chairman is so IGNORANT :)
What? After spending a day putting it together, exterminating a young Bonnie Langford, finding a Dalek 'true type' font, and spending an hour setting the surrounding text?

You must be joking. :D

Anyway, Grade's anything but ignorant.

He's probably spent the best part of his free time this afternoon, looking over the BBC Sales Dept, Doctor Who DVD and merchandising figures.

Apart from his Who-o-phobia, I can't help liking the guy. He always reminds me of his uncle. And where would we have been without all that bizarre, surreal, reactionary/wobblie/subversive, A-Grade ITC fare on telly in the Fifties, Sixties and Seventies?

You know: Danger Man, Robin Hood, The Avengers, The Saint, The Champions, Man In A suitcase, Gerry Anderson's output, Randall & Hopkirk (deceased), The Prisoner, Jesus of Nazareth, The Muppet Show, etc. etc.

Back