• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

But back to Bill Bailey........... ;)

Sorry, what? This is a Dr. Who thread? Spoilsports. :(

*Cider wanders off, muttering*

Ken dodd.

no, I'm not serious, but hell, Bill Bailey, Dylan Moran, Johnny Depp? C'mon...

;)

Alright then, what about Julian Rhind-Tutt or Mark Heap from Green Wing?

They both have a quirky sort of appearance and manner, both 'down wit da kids' as well as appealing to an older generation (ahem - I would imagine ;) ).

Give the Doctor some way out clothing again, not some pseudo matrix-esque black leather coat.

Bring back the scarves is what I say - a hat would be good too.

bigphoot said:
If he wasn't getting on a bit... Patrick Moore!
:D

I'm sad to say that last time i saw Patrick Moore on television - at an awards ceremony IIRC he looked quite ill.

The Yithian said:
bigphoot said:
If he wasn't getting on a bit... Patrick Moore!
:D

I'm sad to say that last time i saw Patrick Moore on television - at an awards ceremony IIRC he looked quite ill.
Probably about time he regenenerated.

Into `what` though?

He doesnt belong in this Time contiumm, he speaks too fast.

<HA puts upon her scarf made from ends of wool sulkily>

DPL said:
I think John Nettles would make a good Doctor!
At the risk of inflaming dedicated Doctor Who fans ... I agree.

However, with the success of the Midsomer Murders I doubt he'd like to take part in something so frivolous.

What about Trevor Eve?

The suggestion of a female Doctor isn't so bad. But a good actress would be needed. What about Julia Swahala? Or even Zoe Wannamaker?

Stormkhan said:
DPL said:
I think John Nettles would make a good Doctor!
At the risk of inflaming dedicated Doctor Who fans ... I agree.

However, with the success of the Midsomer Murders I doubt he'd like to take part in something so frivolous.?
You didn't see him in the hound of the baskervilles remake then?;) Frivolity in abundance.

I'm sure in a nightmare somewhere i saw Jeremy Clarkson as the new doctor.

Perhaps it's the curly hair.

:err:

extrat011.jpg

http://www.nearingzero.net/

Seeing as how there are no more episodes of Jonathan Creek on the horizon, surely Alan Davies is looking for a new series to work on?

GNC said:
Seeing as how there are no more episodes of Jonathan Creek on the horizon, surely Alan Davies is looking for a new series to work on?
god I hope not.

Charlie Brooker is usually known for his acidic invective in his Screen Burn column but I thought this worth passing on:

Before I go, a quick mention of Doctor Who (Sat, 7pm, BBC1), despite the blanket coverage the series has received elsewhere. Thing is, I simply can't stand by and let this week's episode, The Unquiet Dead, pass by without comment, for the following reason: I think it may be the single best piece of family-oriented entertainment BBC has broadcast in its entire history. It's clever, it's funny, it's exciting, it's moving, it's got shades of Nigel "Quatermass" Kneale about it, it looks fantastic, and in places it's genuinely frightening. TV really doesn't get better than this, ever.

Dickens episode

Quite good, I still don't like the self-contained episode thing though, I preferred a good cliffhanger ending with a dodgy looking monster involved. At least they avoided the temptation to refer to them giving Dickens ideas for one of the books he did write, i was expecting that at some point.

Next weeks one looks good too

Yep that was really good - Doctor Who and the Zombies!!! Gets my vote everytime :D

You put me in a room full of zombies!!!

And Simon Callow managing not to bellow too much - wonders will never cease ;)

I would prefer to see some storylines stretching over an episode but perhaps they are saving that for some of the big story lines which makes them a little more special :)

[edit: The premise was rather like "Dance of the Mayflies" an episode of Andromeda where alien entities start taking over corpses.]

Emperor said:
I would prefer to see some storylines stretching over an episode but perhaps they are saving that for some of the big story lines which makes them a little more special :)

the Daleks maybe?

no, but looks like there is a double one near the end?

1: Rose 26th March
2: The End of the World 2nd April
3: The Unquiet Dead 9th April
4: Aliens of London 16th April
5: World War Three 23rd April
6: Dalek 30th April
7: The Long Game 7th May
8: Father's Day 14th May
9: The Empty Child 21st May
10: The Doctor Dances 28th May
11: Boom Town 4th June
12: 11th June
13: The Parting of the Ways 18th June

Emperor said:
And Simon Callow managing not to bellow too much - wonders will never cease ;)
The standard of the "guest stars" so far has been excellent.
There were too many comedians given straight roles in the McCoy era.

jima said:
Dickens episode

Quite good, I still don't like the self-contained episode thing though, I preferred a good cliffhanger ending with a dodgy looking monster involved. At least they avoided the temptation to refer to them giving Dickens ideas for one of the books he did write, i was expecting that at some point.

Next weeks one looks good too
Not quite enough time to develop the plot, or the characters. Gwyneth, the psychic maid, being a serious case in point. It does seem to mean that Christopher Ecclestone's Doctor has to run around, like a blue-arsed fly, Deus Ex Machina-ing and filling in missing plot details at a near demented pace.

It also means Mr Dickens had to take an extraordinary amount of rudness and insult. And, how could Mr Sneed the undertaker possibly have known what a 'zombie' was, back in 1869?

I do hope there's a two hour long, director's cut somewhere!

Still, my 9 year old, daughter thought the programme was, "Vet koel man!" :lol:

AndroMan said:
And, how could Mr Sneed the undertaker possibly have known what a 'zombie' was, back in 1869?

The zombies were reported from the early to mid-1800s but he'd probably have had to subscribe to Haitian newspapers. However, he didn't mention them - he said things like:

The dead are walking

and:

The dear departed started getting restless

It was Rose who said:

You put me in a room full of zombies!!!

[edit: And yes I did sketch down some notes - I'm compiling a list of zombies on TV - sue me ;) ]

Unless I missed an earlier exchange (as I was running aorund insihing cooking a curry at the very start).

My two-year-old daughter loved it too.

Mr Sneed seemed fairly smart. I think he could have guessed what zombie meant from the context. That's how we all learned it. I doubt any of us had to look it up in the dictionary the first time we saw a cheesy horror movie where the walking dead were called Zombies.

Cujo

Back