• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

Vintage Who question for you Whovers out there.

I dimly remember episodes where stonehenge (or a similar henge) came to life and crushed a group of campers. It's a very dim memory and thus I am not entirely sure I didn't dream it. For some reason it may be to do with that Peter Davidson one with a giant fake snake thing in stone henge and the annoying Australian assistant (though I could be wrong). Sorry to be so vague..... :D

Hi Pietro. I would rather hear a paxo voice than the horrors of that nasal ken livingstone sound any day. It's a shame that one seems to only hear the lowest common denominator most often...that's all. I watched sapphire and steel the other day. I realised that you couldn't make a kids show like this anymore. 1) Actors who are not kids 2) Adult actors who look like adults and not kiddults 3) Oooh gosh, they have middle class accents - down with that eh? 4) The story arc was more complex and involved having an understanding of such things as...ooo....history from a knowledge basis that might transcend what has been taught in the classroom.
Up the revolution :lol:

GadaffiDuck said:
Hi Pietro. I would rather hear a paxo voice than the horrors of that nasal ken livingstone sound any day. It's a shame that one seems to only hear the lowest common denominator most often...that's all. I watched sapphire and steel the other day. I realised that you couldn't make a kids show like this anymore. 1) Actors who are not kids 2) Adult actors who look like adults and not kiddults 3) Oooh gosh, they have middle class accents - down with that eh? 4) The story arc was more complex and involved having an understanding of such things as...ooo....history from a knowledge basis that might transcend what has been taught in the classroom.
Up the revolution :lol:
Unfortunately, it was also one of the most boring (I mean actually ennervating), Science Fiction/Occult series I've ever seen. What it may have had in historical credibility, it more than leached away in it's annoying take on scientific/occult hokum.

Like, Agatha Christie, crossed with Time Tunnel. :lol:

Young 'everyteen' characters, who can delegate for the viewers, have been part of Doctor Who, since the Doctor's Grandaughter Susan went to school near Totter's Lane and certainly since they replaced her boring, middle aged, middleclass fart, teachers, Ian & Barbara (in loco parentis roles).

Doctor Who is still resolutely 'Family viewing', even if it's trying to appeal to the sort of family that sits in front of the TV eating microwave chicken kievs and oven chips, these days.

Don't forget, it used to come on, right after the football results. ;)

I don't have a problem with teen side kicks. I have a problem with everything being paen to youth. There were dull aspects to S&S, but the stories were well crafted and overall, it was a good series (IMO). I just don't like the populist 'take' everything seems to have now. It appears to be okay to be vulgar and ill informed, but anything else is derided e.g. being middle class, brainy or what have you. This is just inverted snobbism.

GadaffiDuck said:
I don't have a problem with teen side kicks. I have a problem with everything being paen to youth. There were dull aspects to S&S, but the stories were well crafted and overall, it was a good series (IMO). I just don't like the populist 'take' everything seems to have now. It appears to be okay to be vulgar and ill informed, but anything else is derided e.g. being middle class, brainy or what have you. This is just inverted snobbism.
I though Doctor Who was doing rather well, considering. :confused:

It is doing rather well, and all in all, I'm glad to see it back. Indeed, I rushed home on Saturday to see it before going out. However, I don't see why it has to be sooooo bloody chavy... :?

GadaffiDuck said:
It is doing rather well, and all in all, I'm glad to see it back. Indeed, I rushed home on Saturday to see it before going out. However, I don't see why it has to be sooooo bloody chavy... :?

With all due respect I think if it resembled Brideshead Revisited with Daleks it would probably alienate (pardon the pun) a large proportion of the population. Surely having 'Chavs' as assistants ,as you put it, is a win/win for the BBC, plug into the current Youth culture zeitgeist whilst allowing those of a mind to point and laugh at the lower class urchins?

Absolutely, that is the point I was trying to make. I understand all the reasons; and I'm not saying everything should be RP, but a little would be nice... :lol:

Heckler20 said:
With all due respect I think if it resembled Brideshead Revisited with Daleks it would probably alienate (pardon the pun) a large proportion of the population.
"Heavens, Doctor - those daleks are positively beastly! They've made an absolute hash of the pergola, and barged into luncheon without even an invitation.."

"Just Ignore them Charles. These creatures are positively not 'U'. I do wish you wouldn't pick up the waifs and strays from Oxford"

The Daleks, with great shame for their social class, accents and manners thus depart through the tradesman's entrance..

"Hurrah and bloody good Riddence. Three cheers for the doctor chappy - Champagne anyone?"

There were dull aspects to S&S, but the stories were well crafted and overall, it was a good series (IMO).

And bloody terrifying, too. I loved it. Remember when they went inside that picture, and found the guy with no face? The little B&W ghosts outside that woman's flat (she went to hug one, and it turned out to be some sort of cardboard cutout)? The bleeding swan? No series have ever captured quite the essence of the fever dream as that one did. It amazes me that they showed it before the watershed.

One of the reasons why I liked 'The Empty Child' from last season's Who was because it seemed to have a lot of that Sapphire & Steel atmosphere to it.

Heckler20 said:

I dimly remember episodes where stonehenge (or a similar henge) came to life and crushed a group of campers. It's a very dim memory and thus I am not entirely sure I didn't dream it. For some reason it may be to do with that Peter Davidson one with a giant fake snake thing in stone henge and the annoying Australian assistant (though I could be wrong). Sorry to be so vague..... :D
Pretty sure you're thinking of "The Stones of Blood" with Tom Baker. IIRC, the stones turned out to be some sort of silicon-based alien life-form. The story was part of the "Key to Time" season, which was all a bit silly. "Prisoner of Zenda" ripoff? "The Androids of Tara"! Greek mythology with lasers? "The Horns of Nimon"! Bonkers.

Peripart said:
Pretty sure you're thinking of "The Stones of Blood" with Tom Baker. IIRC, the stones turned out to be some sort of silicon-based alien life-form. The story was part of the "Key to Time" season, which was all a bit silly. "Prisoner of Zenda" ripoff? "The Androids of Tara"! Greek mythology with lasers? "The Horns of Nimon"! Bonkers.

Good lord, a quick google reveals you are correct, thankyou very much.

This was transmitted back 1978 which explains why my memory was a little hazy ( I was a mere ankle biter)

Peripart said:
gordonrutter said:
Pietro_Mercurios said:
It does seem a bit odd. As I remember it, the Cybermen came from another planet all together, the planet Mondas, Earth's twin.
Who is to say this is not the way Mondas developed in the parallel universe?

Gordon
Maybe this parallel Earth is Mondas?

erm - yes that's what I said!

Gordon

Re: the idea 'what about timelords in the cyber dimension'. Well, as the demise of the timelords caused dimension travel to be cut off, it seems logical (ha) to propose that the timelords were dimension lords too. Ta da!!

gordonrutter said:
Peripart said:
gordonrutter said:
Pietro_Mercurios said:
It does seem a bit odd. As I remember it, the Cybermen came from another planet all together, the planet Mondas, Earth's twin.
Who is to say this is not the way Mondas developed in the parallel universe?

Gordon
Maybe this parallel Earth is Mondas?
erm - yes that's what I said!

Gordon
Err, OK then!

I think I meant, was the parallel Earth the real Mondas, which kind of got dragged into our universe after the Doctor repaired the Tardis and flew it back from the alternate reality? Never having seen "The Tenth Planet", not being alive in 1966, I'm not sure if my theory would even be consistent with that story. AFAIK, the William Hartnell story (or was it called The Moonbase? - Very confusing, as all those early stories had a different title for each 25-minute episode) was set in about 1997.

I'm now getting in a right old tangle. Could someone please ask me an easy one?

Peripart said:
I think I meant, was the parallel Earth the real Mondas, which kind of got dragged into our universe after the Doctor repaired the Tardis and flew it back from the alternate reality? Never having seen "The Tenth Planet", not being alive in 1966, I'm not sure if my theory would even be consistent with that story. AFAIK, the William Hartnell story (or was it called The Moonbase? - Very confusing, as all those early stories had a different title for each 25-minute episode) was set in about 1997.

I'm now getting in a right old tangle. Could someone please ask me an easy one?

Ah - your theory has nothing to go against it as the Tenth Planet itself is basically an upsied down version of Earth so it could well be...

The Tenth Planet was actually set in 1986. They'd already stopped using individual episode titles by then - The Moonbase is a different story - Patrick Troughton.

Gordon

Damn..fine knowledge! Has anyone explained the evolution of cyber types or is it best swept under the carpet?

Yes I do love all this nostalgia and also hope that they get rid of that lip-shaped logo I hate it!! Bring back the diamond one and the opening credits would be perfect!!

GadaffiDuck said:
Damn..fine knowledge! Has anyone explained the evolution of cyber types or is it best swept under the carpet?

There are theories and to be honest it all hangs together a lot better than soem of the other continuity on the programme. David Banks who played (usually) the cyberleader in the latter years of the show produced a book (The Cybermen) which pulled the chronology together and even has good reasons for there being several different ultimate destructions of the cybermen - basically it's a big universe and there have been little pockets of survivors hanging on in there. With appropriate machinery cybermen can make more of themselves and so over time these little pockets were able to grow into armies big enough to cause problems.

Gordon

Thank you sir. While I have watched dr who for a long time, I never got in to it enough to know all the history and plot screw ups etc (star trek...well, while not an absolute type of fan,I can at least keep up). Thanks again.. :D

I love the history of it and I bought a couple of books ages ago, one a big red one about companions and one that had all about the times, stories, etc and it was fantastic to spend the night reading them and looking back on it all. Hopefully they'll do a new version to update it. One thing I always find hard to accept is the supposed "8th doctor", the one-off I didn't like at all but I suppose it's counted as part of Dr Who continuity as the 7th Doctor was in it too but like I said Doctor Who's my favourite show and the occasional gripe is understandable for such a long-standing institution. :shock: <<<I do miss Tom though and want more Tom dvds, still a kid at heart but I don't care!! :lol:

Yup Tom was 'da bomb'. I remember the cross over. What was really freaky was that I went to school with Jon Pertwees sons...okay for me, but my brother (younger) was freaked out by seeing Doctor Who pick up his kids. heheh

Yeah he was (and still is) great, this is the Doctor Who page isn't it, I wouldn't want to say the wrong thing on the wrong thread...it was great to meet him and have a real legend shake your hand and talk to you, a great bloke through and through.

Heckler20 said:

The giany snake one is 'Kinda'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/episodeguide/kinda/

bigphoot1 said:
I liked the new look Cybermen, more than a hint of Robocop in the design.

I think the new look is based more on the "Maria robot" from Metropolis
Maria

Action-packed episode tonight, well worth the wait even if the cliffhanger was over with in the blink of an eye. And a sad bit at the end, to be honest I thought Mickey was going to crash the airship into Battersea Power Station and perish. Very high body count, mind you, could have been too grim, but managed to avoid it for the most part.

Back on Earth for next week's! Come on, let's see the universe! Everybody's asking!

gncxx said:
Back on Earth for next week's! Come on, let's see the universe! Everybody's asking!

I'll second that - I wan't to see Dr Who exploring the Universe, seeking out new life, new civilisations, boldly going...er well you get the picture.

And, please, please, no more of the Rose soap opera. It's Dr Who not Eastenders.

More repitition again tonight as Rose dangled from another blimp.

Shes really anoyying me now though and why does almost every episode have to have a mushy ending?

Back