• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

BlackRiverFalls said:
wasn't the yeti's roar the sound of a toilet being flushed played backwards or something?

That explains my childhood fear of toilets then.

Did any one else HAVE to get out the door before the flushing finished?

To cut a long story short, I found myself at BBC television centre the other day - and got to see, first hand, the Baker era Tardis!

My year is made!

Is it on permanent display? I wasn't going to get to England this year, and I don't want to have to change my plans at this stage.

I don't think I'm going to have any trouble watching Miss Agyeman over the next few weeks, and not only because she's veh attractive either. It's great this series adapts so well to new characters (although I'm not 100% convinced by Martha's shouty family). And nice to see the old "cut the blue wire or the red wire?" cliché getting another airing. Space vampires! Space rhinos! It's like it's never been away.

Tonight's episode was really very good. Lots of little injokes and just a really sold, well told story with plenty of thrills and spills.

As always Charlie Brooker says it best:

Speaking of which, a new series of Doctor Who (Sat, 7pm, BBC1) starts this evening - a phrase that never fails to cheer me up, because it means I get to gurgle like a delighted child every Saturday for the next 13 weeks. I like the way it coincides with the start of British summertime, so the Doctor arrives just in time for the warm, sunny evenings. Hopefully when climate change kicks in, and the entire year is one long warm, sunny evening, the series will expand to 52 weeks accordingly. Might take our minds off all the polar bear skeletons that'll be cluttering the streets by then.

Anyway, preceding series of "New Who" have had a wobbly start with their premiere episodes. This one bucks the trend by including all the right ingredients - monsters, peril, eccentricity - in just the right quantities. And Martha, the new assistant, has confounded my expectations already. It's a big fat smile of a programme, and hooray for that. If you don't like it, you can piss off. My love affair continues.

www.guardian.co.uk/theguide/columnists/ ... 93,00.html

Charlie Brooker said:
It's a big fat smile of a programme, and hooray for that. If you don't like it, you can piss off.

Too right!

I thought it was great start to the new series and Martha looks like she'll keep the Doctor on his toes.

I thought it was great, and Martha has the potential to be a great assistant what with being a cool in combat trainee Dr and everything, the lads of course loved it :D The tasters for the next episode looked fantastic and the dedication and devotion showed by the cast and crew on Dr Who confidential was excellent to see, respect due. 8) 8) 8)

Ratings for the first episode
Top Ten by Audience

1 .. 8.2 (39.5%) .. Doctor Who (19:00) BBC1
2 .. 6.7 (30.8%) .. Any Dream Will Do (19:45) BBC1
3 .. 6.6 (29.4%) .. The National Lottery People's Quiz (20:45) BBC1
4 .. 6.3 (28.4%) .. Casualty (21:00) BBC1
5 .. 5.3 (25.8%) .. BBC News; Weather (21:45) BBC1
6 .. 4.7 (24.2%) .. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (18:00) ITV
7 .. 3.9 (24.7%) .. Match of the Day (22:15) BBC1
8 .. 3.8 (22.9%) .. The National Lottery People's Quiz (18:15) BBC1
9 .. 3.7 (16.5%) .. Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? (20:45) ITV
10 . 3.5 (24.3%) .. All New Just for Laughs (17:45) BBC1

Top Ten by share
1 .. 8.2 (39.5%) .. Doctor Who (19:00) BBC1
2 .. 6.7 (30.8%) .. Any Dream Will Do (19:45) BBC1
3 .. 1.0 (29.8%) .. Breakfast (06:00) BBC1
4 .. 6.6 (29.4%) .. The National Lottery People's Quiz (20:45) BBC1
5 .. 6.3 (28.4%) .. Casualty (21:00) BBC1
6 .. 5.3 (25.8%) .. BBC News; Weather (21:45) BBC1
7 .. 1.4 (25.2%) .. Saturday Kitchen (10:00) BBC1
8 .. 3.9 (24.7%) .. Match of the Day (22:15) BBC1
9 .. 3.4 (24.6%) .. BBC News; Regional News; Weather (17:15) BBC1
10 . 3.4 (24.4%) .. Harry Hill's TV Burp (17:30) ITV

Gordon

Very convincing! Anybody registered for the forum yet?

There's a Link to Lazlabs. Does the design remind you of the Gallifreyan script/heiroglyphs that have been seenin previous episodes?

The Lazlabs page gives Tish Jones as a contact. Martha Jones's mother is called Tish Jones*...

The munchkins and I really enjoyed last night's episode. And there was a little shop in the foyer!

* Edited to add: Or Martha Jones's sister. One or the other.

Our local radio station continued to demonstrate their sheer ignorance this morning. One presenter said that he couldn't take to the new assistant, because "she's not Billie" :roll: And that they were calling the new series a success but it was 'only' watched by 8 million, and when you consider the size of the population, that wasn't many really. :roll:

Which is why I hate having the radio loud enough to actually hear what the idiots are talking about. They're usually racist, bigoted, ignorant, or just utterly utterly stupid. I only want the local news and weather.

Neeeaaaaaoooow, duh duduh, duh duduh, duh duduh, daaaaah. Duh duduh duh duduh, duh duduh, daaaaah ... Isn't that a welcome sound for a Saturday night, music to the nation's ears. What is it? Are you mad? It's Doctor Who (BBC1, Saturday) of course, the theme tune. No? Wooh waaah, woooooh waaah ...

But wait! There's something missing, not from the theme tune, but from the whole thing. And not just any old thing, but the best thing - leaving a terrifying void, a massive great black hole in the centre of the screen: there's no Rose. Billie Piper's gone.

So here's her so-called replacement, Martha, played by Freema Agyeman. Oh! Well, maybe it's not so bad after all. Bet she can't act though, bet she can't reproduce that chemistry with David Tennant.

There are strange things going on at the hospital where Martha is a medical student. The Doctor is a patient there, for a start. Next the Stig from Top Gear turns up and starts causing trouble (and then another one - two Stigs! I knew it wasn't just one person). It starts to rain upwards outside. Then, before you know it, the whole hospital has been teleported to the moon. And the Doctor and Martha are having a romantic earthlit moment on the balcony. Then he's snogging her! Bloody hell, he's so totally over Rose. OK, so it's not actually a snog snog - it's part of the Doctor's plans to trick the Judoon, the scary space-rhino aliens that are running all over the place. But it certainly looks like a snog snog.

That's it then, the chemistry in place, in episode one. It's almost too quick. But Agyeman is great. If I do have one criticism, it's that she's too much like her predecessor - in the way she speaks, her mannerisms, the way she flirts with the Doctor. I hope as the series goes on, she'll develop more of her own identity. But it'll do for now. Bloody hell, I'm so over Rose too. Billie who, frankly.

www.guardian.co.uk/tv_and_radio/story/0 ... 45,00.html

Been waiting months for it to return.....

was whooping when it started....

had a late Friday....

fell asleep for ten minutes......

at the end.....

but what I saw I liked....

mookzzzzzzz

Sorry!

Totally unbelievable!

Can't have a Dinner Lady as a baddie! :shock:

Martha Jones = excellent

Judoon = Vogons+Judge Dredd = pretty good aliens.

Enjoyed it. Very Much.

BTW - the Vote Saxon website is intriguing. Note, in the interview section, what he says regarding a possible brother.

And didn't the Doctor mention - in such an affectedly offhand way that it had to be deliberate - that he had a brother too?

So who does that make you think of? (unless it's all a really big red herring, and the Master ain't going to appear this season...)

'Mister Saxon' is an anagram of 'Master No Six' - interesting. (please note that I'm not claiming credit for figuring out the anagram - it was some talkabacker on AICN) Dunno what the 'six' stands for, though - he's had more regenerations that that, hasn't he?

Anyway - I was at BBC tv centre again the other day ... and this time I touched the Baker era Tardis!

Woo-hoo!

barfing_pumpkin said:
'Mister Saxon' is an anagram of 'Master No Six' - interesting. (please note that I'm not claiming credit for figuring out the anagram - it was some talkabacker on AICN) Dunno what the 'six' stands for, though - he's had more regenerations that that, hasn't he?

The Master has used up all of his regenerations but on screen we have seen him portrayed by
Roger Delgado
Peter Pratt
Geoffrery Beevers
Anthony Ainley
Eric Roberts

So that is five onscreen versions of the Master

Gordon

I also see on the comments that 'a poster' says they have been to Saxons office it was bigger on the inside!

Hope this isn't repeating another post as I've not read all the threads since coming back, but...

Billis Manger is an anagram of "Elmira sibling". Elmira is in New York, that's where the Dalek story is set...

Red__Dalek said:
Hope this isn't repeating another post as I've not read all the threads since coming back, but...

Billis Manger is an anagram of "Elmira sibling". Elmira is in New York, that's where the Dalek story is set...
It's also interestingly close to "arse eater" in several European languages. ;)

Or, "bile eater".

Mighty_Emperor said:
Neeeaaaaaoooow, duh duduh, duh duduh, duh duduh, daaaaah. Duh duduh duh duduh, duh duduh, daaaaah ... Isn't that a welcome sound for a Saturday night, music to the nation's ears. What is it? Are you mad? It's Doctor Who (BBC1, Saturday) of course, the theme tune. No? Wooh waaah, woooooh waaah ...

But wait! There's something missing, not from the theme tune, but from the whole thing. And not just any old thing, but the best thing - leaving a terrifying void, a massive great black hole in the centre of the screen: there's no Rose. Billie Piper's gone.

So here's her so-called replacement, Martha, played by Freema Agyeman. Oh! Well, maybe it's not so bad after all. Bet she can't act though, bet she can't reproduce that chemistry with David Tennant.

There are strange things going on at the hospital where Martha is a medical student. The Doctor is a patient there, for a start. Next the Stig from Top Gear turns up and starts causing trouble (and then another one - two Stigs! I knew it wasn't just one person). It starts to rain upwards outside. Then, before you know it, the whole hospital has been teleported to the moon. And the Doctor and Martha are having a romantic earthlit moment on the balcony. Then he's snogging her! Bloody hell, he's so totally over Rose. OK, so it's not actually a snog snog - it's part of the Doctor's plans to trick the Judoon, the scary space-rhino aliens that are running all over the place. But it certainly looks like a snog snog.

That's it then, the chemistry in place, in episode one. It's almost too quick. But Agyeman is great. If I do have one criticism, it's that she's too much like her predecessor - in the way she speaks, her mannerisms, the way she flirts with the Doctor. I hope as the series goes on, she'll develop more of her own identity. But it'll do for now. Bloody hell, I'm so over Rose too. Billie who, frankly.

www.guardian.co.uk/tv_and_radio/story/0 ... 45,00.html

I really hate Sam Wollaston.

The Shakespeare episode: that's what I call a historical romp. And they managed to get away without presenting any part of his plays as well. I liked this even better than last week's, it was a lot funnier, too. But no mention of the Scottish play with those three witches scheming around? Superstitious?

gncxx said:
The Shakespeare episode: that's what I call a historical romp. And they managed to get away without presenting any part of his plays as well. I liked this even better than last week's, it was a lot funnier, too. But no mention of the Scottish play with those three witches scheming around? Superstitious?

It was obviously the inspiration however as that play is gernerally believed to have been written between 1603 adn 1605

Gordon

Back