• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
When sandwich toasters and my favourite film meet ..

brevilledead.jpg

(I'll get my coat ...)

They're not just dead, they're brown bread.

A young Sam Raimi standing next to George Romero (R.I.P.) .. I don't know anything about this picture so I'm guessing it was at Cannes Film Festival the same year The Evil Dead premiered due to Raimi looking about 20 years old and Romero's Creepshow playing at the same venue that year ..

raimi with romero.jpg

STARZ are bringing back the Evil Dead ghost house theme park experiences for revellers during next Halloween ..

The Sun gave away The Evil Dead?! The "news"paper that led the scapegoating video nasties campaign?! Now THAT's sickening, never mind the horror movies.

The Sun gave away The Evil Dead?! The "news"paper that led the scapegoating video nasties campaign?! Now THAT's sickening, never mind the horror movies.
It was mostly The Mirror & The Daily Mail that singled The Evil Dead out from memory although The Sun (amongst other papers) did decide to join in on and off involving sensationalist video nasty articles .. but yeah, I thought it was mad when I heard The Sun were giving it away .. it would be like The Sex Pistols being invited to play at Buckingham Palace.

For exact stuff on this topic, check out this link. I know this dude, he's also one of our (Deadites) mods, thorough isn't big enough a word to describe this bloke's efforts, he spent 6 days wading through old microfilms and has made everything he found downloadable in this link below spanning 28 years of papers!

http://www.bookofthedead.ws/website/features_video_nasties.html

.. and The Sun giveaway DVD ..

evildeadsun.jpg

.. there's one for sale on ebay at the moment for £1.50 + £1.00 p&p if you want it ..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-The-Ev...641286?hash=item1c927b5806:g:V8sAAOSwL7VWrkd9

Last edited:
I was thinking of The Sun's 90s campaign headlined "Burn Your Video Nasties!" after the Child's Play 3 debacle, which was based on a fanciful invention, but sold a lot of papers.

I was thinking of The Sun's 90s campaign headlined "Burn Your Video Nasties!" after the Child's Play 3 debacle, which was based on a fanciful invention, but sold a lot of papers.
Have you seen any of the early 'Michigan Mafia' shorts? .. I've got a few of these old Super 8's, this one starring Bruce Campbell, Cheyrll Gutteridge, Sam Raimi etc, it's good daft fun, a very corny Indiana Jones spoof ..

(they tended to recycle a lot of their sound effect so you might even hear some of The Evil Dead sounds in this short film ..)

Cleveland Smith - Bounty Hunter

Looks like Spielberg's work.

Looks like Spielberg's work.
LOL .. it was Sam Raimi/Rob Tapert/Bruce Campbell/Scott Spiegal/Josh Becker etc honing their craft using 8mm in those years .. they used to charge students a couple of dollars or so for projection screenings before they again got together to make Within The Woods so they could convince private investors to .. well .. invest in/for a real film in 16mm called The Evil Dead .. I've got a few of their early films on DVD ..

I haven't seen this one yet ..

Holding It - 1978 .. a year before they starting filming The Evil Dead

Last edited:
Haven't seen those, Swifty... was Thou Shall Not Kill... Except one of theirs?

Haven't seen those, Swifty... was Thou Shall Not Kill... Except one of theirs?
Yes .. sort of .. Sam Raimi played a sort of crazed hippy Charles Manson character in it .. and the spooky wall clock from The Evil Dead gets a cameo from memory ..

here's a remake sooty pic thing until something better happens ..

sooty.jpg

Season 2 is out on Blu-ray tomorrow. Think I might have to treat myself.

Season 2 is out on Blu-ray tomorrow. Think I might have to treat myself.
As an Evil Dead freak, I'm ashamed to admit I still haven't watched Season 2 :oops: .. I did, though, watch Season 1 from a hospital bed under mild sedation which perversely probably added to the experience.

Just watched episode 2 of season 2. The head up the arse was absolutely hilarious, funniest thing I've seen all week.

Just watched episode 2 of season 2. The head up the arse was absolutely hilarious, funniest thing I've seen all week.
Still not seen any of season 2 but a head up the arse sounds funny enough to me .. some of the new skool ED fans are making a bit of a political correct thing complaints situation about this TV series .. apparently there's a reference to sperm in season 3 which is too much for them apparently ... lightweights ... the original film, in its correct time and context would have killed them ..

"No Way!, You can't do that!!" was what the original film was all about ...

Maybe they're upset about the treatment of Lee Majors? No spoilers, but come on, guys!

Ever wanted to see those short films that Raimi & co made a youts? (the three youts!)

http://super8shorts.com/

I actually know the bloke who's gathered these together and (only slightly) how he managed to. He's not the first to find the early shorts (and there's tons of them) but he's done it the best by FAR .. I own a treasured DVD he created that fans can't simply buy, he works at Sheperton Film Studios and has created the best version of The Evil Dead it's possible to watch with insane attention to detail, he's taken elements of laser disc, blu ray, vhs, DVD, Super 8, 16mm etc etc and remixed all of it .. he's even authentically changed the rippling effect wavy The Evil Dead words seen in the opening credits to The Book Of The Dead wavy letters simply because that's what the film was touted as to Irving Shapiro before he insisted that "People won't want to watch a film with that title because they'll think they're going to have to read" .. so technically, Rob's renovated the opening credits as well !! ..

I mailed Rob my three heavy ring binders containing years of research and he sourced an obscure Evil Dead 2 poster that I used to own as a thanks/trade .. another highlight was him visiting The Evil Dead cabin location and phoning me while he was there on his mobile (geek overload for me and him) ... I already owned some small bit's and pieces from the ED1 cabin location but he was awesome enough to send me more stuff including a bit of the frikin cabin roof !! :):):):):):):):):) ... his display cabinet is unique and jaw dropping including stuff from the ED2 cabin ... the list is endless but not just restricted to 'who owns what' attitude ..

His site's http://www.bookofthedead.ws , comprehensive doesn't even begin to describe his approach .. in the Evil Dead fan scene, to us, he's as Jerry Lopez was to surfing or The Lords Of Dog Town were to skating.

We were both approached online to be interviewed in a documentary called Hail To The Deadites about Evil Dead fandom and we weren't that interested .. the director was a dick ..

Last edited:
... has created the best version of The Evil Dead it's possible to watch with insane attention to detail, he's taken elements of laser disc, blu ray, vhs, DVD, Super 8, 16mm etc etc and remixed all of it ..
I'm intrigued but at a loss understanding how this version is better, if all it does is change format during its running time?

I'm intrigued but at a loss understanding how this version is better, if all it does is change format during its running time?
This dude works at Sheperton Film Studios, we'd all been listening to fan complaints about various releases having some scenes to light or dark or quiet or loud so he used an industry suite and fixed it to run more smoothly .. it really is the best in quality version you can see .. yet ..

I'll dig it out today and edit this post with all of the specs and hopefully some pics of it ..

DVD DISC 1 - MAIN FEATURE
BOOK OF THE DEAD THEATRICAL RESTORATION
(THE ORIGINAL UN TAMPERED MONO 1.0 AUDIO TRACK)
(A COMPLETE ISOLATED STEREO SCORE 2.0 AUDIO TRACK)
(2010 ANCHOR BAY US BLU RAY AUDIO COMMENTARY)
(1999 ELITE BRUCE CAMPBELL DVD AUDIO COMMENTARY)
(1999 ELITE RAIMI AND TAPERT DVD AUDIO COMMENTARY)
(A FACTS AND TRIVIA SUBTITLE TRACK)

WITHIN THE WOODS
(COMPLETE ISOLATED SCORE AUDIO TRACK)

BOOK OF THE DEAD TRAILER

THE EVIL DEAD - DELETED SCENES

(EDITED & MIXED FROM VARIOUS RAW FOOTAGE)

DVD DISC 2 - EXTRAS
THE EVIL DEAD - THE VARIOUS VERSIONS
(DETAILED COMPARISON SEQUENCES)

THE INCREDIBLY STRANGE FILM SHOW
(COMPLETE COMPOSITE DVD & VHS VERSION)

PM MAGAZINE DETROIT 1982 TV SPOT ON
THE EVIL DEAD AND RENAISSANCE PICTURES

1982 TOM SULLIVAN TV INTERVIEW

SUPER 8 SHORTS: IT'S MURDER AND CLOCKWORK

A DVD ROM FOLDER AND RELEASE NOTES

.... on top of that, the sleeve is gorgeous. I phoned the artist who created the famous original artwork for the Palace VHS as a surprise for Rob only for the artist to laugh and say "He's already phoned me!", so you've got new oil pastel artwork from him as well that reads BOOK OF THE DEAD instead of THE EVIL DEAD ..

... both DVD's are picture discs and not just amateur label ones but professional industry standard with copyright warnings around the edges warning people not to sell or make copies of it ... as Palace Pictures no longer exists, Rob's lovingly put there castle logo on the back the spine and both discs ..

... before you get into watching any of the stuff on the discs, he's also created fresh loading scenes with a tool shed wall background that he'd previously constructed to market his replica chainsaws from all three movies anyway :) (I told you the guy was hardcore) .... and I let out a squeal when I saw them because he's also faded in the rare jazz song that plays in the cellar so you can listen to that when you're making your selection :cool: ... basically, this impossible to buy (when I got it anyway) box set is fucking rad ..

I'll try and get some pics from it for you later today .. and I haven't even mentioned the never released interviews he conducted over the phone with some major players, stars and crew members that he was kind enough to send me copies of and also his massive CD Rom research files and not the ones included on this box set.

Last edited:
Between us all, we'd established how to get to the filming locations in a peppered way over the years, Rob phoned me after an online conversation (or I'd phoned him about some Evil Dead flip flops or some such crap I can't remember) to ask if I'd like to join him on a flight to Tennessee ... I couldn't afford to but he could so he did .. he sent me daily messages and updates anyway on his plans, what he'd had for breakfast, which hire car he'd rented etc so I could have the virtual experience anyway .. fellow nerd stuff .. to the best of my knowledge, he remains the only 'British' Evil Dead fan to have pulled a 'Neil Armstrong' and got there ..

Here's his full adventure, story, pics and video:

http://www.bookofthedead.ws/website/features_evil_dead_fan_trip_of_a_lifetime.html

Last edited:
Back