Folk Horror

FunkyTT

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
I watched the film mentioned a few pages back - Border / Grans , last night. What a strange one, I enjoyed it though. Different , the little troll baby at the end was so cute!
I also watched the "new " 2021 Wrong Turn remake. I wasn't expecting much, it was actually good. Instead of inbred hillbillys , it was a secretive and territorial cult called "the foundation" who were the baddies. I found it quite "folk horror" in a way. A pleasant surprise , as I was expecting rubbish to be honest.
Just seeing if that "Outcast " film that's rec'd on here is avail to me now.

PS - quick edit to add that the Border/Grans film is on YouTube , free , with English subtitles if you click the CC button. ... Good film.

Love the rec's on here !

Mikefule

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
As for the difference between folk horror and the Fortean, I'd (personally) class films such as Night of the Demon or The Devil Rides Out as straddling both folk and Fortean territory.
I'd say "Fortean" in the strict sense relates to actual reports and examples of real-life weirdness, anomalies and the unexplained. By this definition, a book or film that is fiction for entertainment is not "Fortean". However, it may deal with themes of interest to Forteans, and it may generally appeal to the same sort of people.

That does not preclude the possibility of something Fortean in the strict sense arising in connection with a work of fiction. For example there is a well-known play set in Scotland which includes witches, prophecy and a descent into madness. The play itself is not "a Fortean case" but it deals with some "Fortean themes" and it has given rise to a superstition about saying the name of the play. Reported examples of this "curse coming true" would be Fortean.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I also watched the "new " 2021 Wrong Turn remake. I wasn't expecting much, it was actually good. Instead of inbred hillbillys , it was a secretive and territorial cult called "the foundation" who were the baddies. I found it quite "folk horror" in a way. A pleasant surprise , as I was expecting rubbish to be honest.
The Wrong Turn remake/reboot got better as it went along, I thought, the ending was great! Pretty hackneyed, but they got the original writer back and he obviously had some ideas he wanted to use, and didn't do a bad job at all.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Wrong Turn (2021): Always listen to the guesthouse owner when she warns you about the forest, don't unnecessarily rile up the hillbillies in the bar who in their own crude way mean well. Of course the six New Jersey students on arrival in a small rural town in Virginia ignore all advice. They head off on the Appalachian Trail, drifting off the beaten path. They soon have a deadly encounter with a tree trunk rolling downhill, crushing one of them to death. The realisation that this mightn't have been an accident dawns on them when they encounter traps. Soon they are clashing with strange figures dressed in leaves, skins, antlers and animal skulls. This reboot shifts the dynamic of the previous franchise straight into Folk Horror rather than Killer Hillbilly territory. Literally a lost society, the Foundation, which controls a mountain territory, living primitively but occasionally going to town to sell craft goods. A violent film but not all of the violence is on the part of the Foundation. Heads are bashed literally to a pulp, stabbings, shot with arrows and guns, impaled on spikes in a pit, blinded. Not a film for the squeamish. But there's also psychological horror at work here as the mountain folk emerge literally from nowhere in their camouflage and the tension of the chase rises and falls. An interesting addition to the American Folk Horror Canon. Directed by Mike P. Nelson from a screenplay by Alan B. McElroy. Pay to view on YouTube. 8/10.

MrRING

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Here is a short film I helped Kickstarter to life that I think ultimately has a folk horror edge to it
The plot as described at the Kickstarter:
"The Whale" is a post-apocalyptic short film that follows two journalists as they travel to a remote coast in search a giant, ancient whale skeleton, a sacred site kept hidden from outsiders.