Fortean Documentaries

skinny

HARD AS NAILS
Thanks, Swifty. Good film. Wonder where the cauldron is now ... and what it was used for.
Really enjoy the documentaries connected to Nazi activities. This one looks good too.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
I suppose it doesn't get any more Fortean than Fortean TV .. no doubt this is already in this thread but just in case ? , have a bit of Lionel Fanthorpe anyway ..

GNC

King-Sized Canary
A 40 Minutes episode from the BBC Four archive:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p04dq703/40-minutes-the-outcasts

Hell's Angels in East Anglia, 1987. For some people this is a comedy classic, I'm not so sure, but how did the biker go to a party and have his head fall off?! Bizarre. Also, everyone smokes like chimneys. You expect the kids to start lighting up. The dogs, too.

Swifty

The Delian Mode - a documentary about Delia Derbyshire, the woman who created, amongst other achievements, the DR WHO theme and is regarded as a pioneer in electronic music. Not strictly Fortean but very very cool .. a beautiful mad genius who invented techno.

Last edited:

Swifty

A UFO doc with Rod 'Twilight Zone' Sirling hosting .. you can't go wrong ..

chris138

Ephemeral Spectre
Not all that Fortean.

But I was wondering if anyone has seen any of the documentaries focusing on The Venus Project and what your thoughts were.

Some links:

http://www.thevenusproject.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacque_Fresco

I posted this a few years ago and have kept up somewhat with The Venus Project. Just last week I was watching their newest film release The Choice Is Ours. Although I didn't watch it all they were touching on our behaviour patterns and how we can change and it all came across a bit cultish to be honest. However, listening to Jacque talk you can't help but believe he makes a lot of sense, I love his ideas.

I did not realise he had died last week at the ripe old age of 101!! RIP Jacque!!

George_millett

Ephemeral Spectre
Found a couple on Netflix

Cropsey where a couple of film makers realise the local urban legend about a child snatcher/killer actually has some basis in fact and their investigation into the story.

They have a second documentary also on Netflix called Killer legends that looks into other similar urban legends like the babysitter being tormented by menacing phone calls that turn out to be coming from upstairs, poisoned candy being handed out at halloween and a couple of others.

Found a couple on Netflix

Cropsey where a couple of film makers realise the local urban legend about a child snatcher/killer actually has some basis in fact and their investigation into the story.

They have a second documentary also on Netflix called Killer legends that looks into other similar urban legends like the babysitter being tormented by menacing phone calls that turn out to be coming from upstairs, poisoned candy being handed out at halloween and a couple of others.
Ta. I'll put them on my list!

George_millett

Ephemeral Spectre
Just found another series on Netflix that I binged watched over the weekend.

American supernatural: 8 epsiodes about assorted small town tales mostly ghosts and curses from 8 assorted small town areas in the US.

It was done for the US market and you can tell where they would have cut it to add in the comercial breaks. But it had a couple of interesting stories in the series. Nice to see that they didn't just concentrate on the nasty ones and had a couple that were 'benificial' spirits.

skinny

HARD AS NAILS
If you haven't seen A Sidewalk Astronomer, which is a one hour doco on the life and times of John Dobson, do yourself and the rest of us a huge favour and find it. It isn't available for download or for free on Youtube. I check fairly regularly and the company that sells the dvd must be too, as there are still only snippets up for free.

Dobson is an important figure, not just for his cottage science popularisation and for opening the door to millions into affordable amateur astronomy, but because of his red shift theory, discredited out of hand by most established astrophysicists.

He's also a great gas. RIP, JD.

If you have a spare couple of bucks, you can buy a copy from the editor. This is not a spam attempt. There's heaps more to enjoy at the link.
http://telescopepictures.com/synopsis/

skinny

HARD AS NAILS
Ed Gein (the spiritual source for The Texas Chainsaw Massacre)
This one's hot out of the oven. Yee haw!
Just watching now. Looking tasty.

Halfway though, and it's a rather middling interpretation. The history is interesting but the text is annoying. Is that for international students or for Americans who don't understand spoken British?

Last edited:

skinny

HARD AS NAILS
Thought this might be a Stephen Greer Sirius thing, but it isn't.

Robert Hastings, anyone? This doco focuses on the alleged intervention by ufos in the nuclear missile tests of the 50s and 60s. Quite enjoying it so far. Might be an interesting book if it has some statistical backing for the claims of "high frequency of sightings" around the test projects made in this doco.

skinny

HARD AS NAILS
About the village of Botton, Yorks.

This one you wanna see. Trust me.
ed; Having watched it through, it isn't what I was expecting at all really. In fact it is a rather intrusive affair. Normally I like the voyeuristic elements of docos but this one was very intrusive on the ordinary lives of these people for seemingly no good reason than an expose of their weaknesses and struggles. FWIW, I found the subjects very likeable. Even that pain the arse, Pamela.

Last edited:

uair01

Justified & Ancient
Didn't know where to put this ... found this at random ... a lecture about the cabalistic arts of Pico de la Mirandola ... given in Latin for a club of Latin speakers :)

skinny

HARD AS NAILS
This is a good one. Sorry if it has been posted elsewhere. Fascinating body language in the faces of the witnesses.

Filmed interviews with the survivors of the Berlin Bunker in which Adolf Hitler, Eva Braun and the Goebbels family killed themselves in the final days of World War II. The interviews were made in 1948 by Captain Michael Musmanno, a US Navy Lawyer and Nuremberg Judge, and the film was offered to Hollywood, but the mood of the western world had changed and wanted to forget Hitler and the war and instead look to the future. The film remained in a US university archive until it was re-discovered in 2013.

Swifty

I haven't watched this one yet so apologies if it's just crap clickbait, it sounds interesting enough ..