• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Headlines

7 Buddhist monks accused of embezzling more than $5.3 million donated to temple in Thailand​

/ they are suspected of monky business.

https://abcnews.go.com/Internationa...cused-embezzling-53-million-donated-99257665?
Untitled.jpg

Some kind of sequel to 'Snakes on a Plane' but I can't come up with a suitable daft punning title.
Hang on a moment while I give it some thought.
Now we have a real-life sequel!

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/india-chennai-airport-22-snakes-found-by-customs/
Customs officials find 22 snakes in woman's checked bags at India airport

By Emily Mae Czachor

May 4, 2023 / 8:35 AM / CBS News

Customs agents at Chennai Airport seized 22 snakes of various species and a chameleon after finding the reptiles inside luggage belonging to a passenger who had arrived in India from Kuala Lumpur, officials said.

Photos and video footage shared on social media by India's Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs showed several large snakes packed into transparent plastic containers that appeared to have been sealed with duct tape.

Agents discovered the animals while searching the traveler's luggage as she passed through customs at the Chennai Airport.

The traveler, who officials only described as a woman, hauled the snakes and chameleon from Malaysia to Chennai in her checked bags, the Indian Express reported. They were seized under India's Wildlife Protection Act, which intends to "provide for the protection of wild animals, birds and plants ... with a view to ensuring the ecological and environmental security of the country."

The most recent discovery at Chennai Airport followed another similar one in January when customs agents found and intercepted a traveler whose baggage contained 45 ball pythons, three marmoset, three star tortoises and eight corn snakes, officials said at the time. Those reptiles were deported back to Bangkok, according to the Indian Express.

Albert Embankment.

A road which for years was 30 mph.

Wide enough for that speed, not especially busy with pedestrians.

Then bizarrely made into a 20 mph and speed cameras added.

Anyone who has been driving for over 5 years will have an inbuilt "speedometer" in our brains, we know what 30 mph feels like.

But not 20 mph.

Very easily done.

Albert Embankment.

A road which for years was 30 mph.

Wide enough for that speed, not especially busy with pedestrians.

Then bizarrely made into a 20 mph and speed cameras added.

Anyone who has been driving for over 5 years will have an inbuilt "speedometer" in our brains, we know what 30 mph feels like.

But not 20 mph.

Very easily done.

But it makes a big difference.

If you hit a pedestrian:

• at 30 mph there is a 20 percent chance they will be killed.
  • at 20 mph there is a 2.5 percent chance they will be killed.
https://www.roadwise.co.uk/using-the-road/speeding/the-chance-of-a-pedestrian-surviving/

Unbelievable - we just got a letter in the mail from 'Jehovah's Witnesses', first time I've seen anything like this! :)
I've been getting letters from Jehova's witnesses and baptists since 2020 when there was a lockdown. They are nice letters inviting me to their church. And I would rather have a letter than them coming to my door. But I would rather have Jehovahs witnesses coming to the door than some of those rude solar panel salesmen.

Gary Larson comic comes to life

After man flees traffic stop, cows lead officers "directly to where the suspect was hiding," North Carolina police say​

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cows-lead-police-hiding-suspect-boone-north-carolina/
----------------------------------------------------
"Apparently cows do not want suspected criminals loitering in their pasture and quickly assisted our officers by leading them directly to where the suspect was hiding," police said in a Facebook post. "The cows communicated with the officers as best they could and finally just had the officers follow them to the suspect's location."
"In addition to thanking our officers and deputies for putting themselves in harm's way; obviously, we want to express our gratitude to the cows for their assistance," the department said.

Unbelievable - we just got a letter in the mail from 'Jehovah's Witnesses', first time I've seen anything like this! :)
I used to use the JW's as an excuse for being late when I was at college. They'd knock on my door, I'd answer, politely apologise to them then explain I was in a rush to leave the house "but I'll definitely read these, thanks!", I'd get to college and say "Sorry I'm a bit late .. f***ing Jehovah's Witnesses .." while holding up their pamphlets.

Back