• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Headlines

@Ascalon and others.

Request to regular posters

The Fortean Headlines thread (in the Fortean News sub-forum) is properly intended only for headlines—almost invariably those that may be read as referring to bizarre events but actually turn out to be comparatively mundane.

Please do not post long extracts or full-article texts there (perhaps just a three-line 'reveal').

This is not a general thread for quirky news articles per se.

If you have a genuinely Fortean news story, please present it in its own thread in the Fortean News sub-forum with a full preview.

As ever, if in doubt, post away and one of us will do our best to arrange things nicely. It's just that there's a lot to do and many staff have off-board commitments of late.

First Photographs Of Humpback Whale Sex Feature Two Males In The Act

/not what they expected.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/firs...aphed_n_65dfadfee4b0189a6a806028?d_id=7357464

"Humans’ first sighting of humpback whale sex appears to have been coitus between two males.

A study published by the Marine Mammal Science journal details researchers’ first-ever observation of humpback intercourse, which was captured by photographers off the coast of Maui, Hawaii in January 2022.

Photographers Lyle Krannichfeld and Brandi Romano witnessed two male humpback whales approach a boat and circle around it before engaging in sexual activity underneath."

Olivia Wilde’s nipples are doing every woman a favour. So why is she getting hate for them?

It’s a question we’ve all been asking. Metro in case you’re wondering.

I’m starting a ‘stop hating Olivia Wilde’s nipples you bastards’ Facebook group.
I've never heard of her, but having looked her up (purely for research, you understand) my guess is that the cost-of-living crisis is hitting her hard and she can't afford a bra.

I think that's the most likely explanation.

Tate & Lyle's Golden Syrup rebrand drops dead lion​

The famous logo of a lion swarmed by bees, inspired by the Biblical quotation "out of the strong came forth sweetness", was the world's oldest unchanged brand packaging, holding a Guinness World Record, having remained nearly identical since 1888.

Here's the before and after:

View attachment 74121

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68347249
Clever tribute to Tate & Lyle's famous logo in tonight's Guardian
I won't post it here for obvious reasons, but pop over there and check out the latest Rowson cartoon if you'd like a chuckle!

Newly Discovered Spider Species Named After Hot Wheels for Its Weird Genitals

If I asked you if you wanted to come over and play with Hot Wheels , you'd expect to be sending a little Ford GT off a ramp as fast as it can go. What you might find instead is a small, randy, newly discovered genus of spider from China that scientists have named for an iconic Mattel toy. Why? Because they think its reproductive organs look like everyone's favorite Forza Horizon expansion.

The discovery and classification of the spider, whose scientific name is "hotwheels sisyphus," was chronicled in a paper published on by researchers from Hebei University in Baoding, China.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/newly...named-after-hot-wheels-for-its-weird-genitals

maximus otter

Well it is the Daily Star, but what's not to like; a 6ft 2" farting horse. What do you think @maximus otter - the future of policing?

_132788751_star-1.jpg

Well it is the Daily Star, but what's not to like; a 6ft 2" farting horse. What do you think @maximus otter - the future of policing?

View attachment 74370

l did a three-day Public Order exercise with police horses once, and l can testify that - even when not deploying the flatus option - they are a formidable asset. When a skilled rider puts half a ton of muscle against a group of ne’er-do-wells and has it shuffle sideways, said nae-users move.

:evillaugh:

maximus otter

l did a three-day Public Order exercise with police horses once, and l can testify that - even when not deploying the flatus option - they are a formidable asset. When a skilled rider puts half a ton of muscle against a group of ne’er-do-wells and has it shuffle sideways, said nae-users move.

:evillaugh:

maximus otter
Did you ever get the chance to deploy the flatus weapon?

Cork serial shoplifter claims she was turning her life around until someone spiked her tea​

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/courtandcrime/arid-41347220.html

My sister who is a lawyer in WA sent me this mail regarding the above:

I had a client on bail back in 2019 who failed a drug urine test. He said he drank tea from a mug that someone had put liquid meth in without his knowledge. The judge thought about it for a bit, looked at some articles I provided on how long a drug in that form could stay in the system, and accepted it was possible that he inadvertently took it. She changed his bail to home detention. But still her renewing bail at all in those circumstances was quite something!

I had a client on bail back in 2019 who failed a drug urine test. He said he drank tea from a mug that someone had put liquid meth in without his knowledge. The judge thought about it for a bit, looked at some articles I provided on how long a drug in that form could stay in the system, and accepted it was possible that he inadvertently took it. She changed his bail to home detention. But still her renewing bail at all in those circumstances was quite something!

I’m sure that that information won’t have telegraphed throughout the criminal world…

:rolleyes:

maximus otter

Back