• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Headlines

SmartSelect_20240317_163721_Samsung Internet.jpg
Story:
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/...-to-clean-pollution-and-combat-climate-change

It’s a shame these buildings have just been left to rot in the first place.
There were a lot of cities like Cleveland, OH, Detroit, MI which suffered from loss of jobs due to economic changes. Both of these cities had much of their economies based in the steel and automotive industries. Both of these cities have seen their economies pretty much decimated in recent decades (1980's-90's) when there were major changes in these industries.

Then they were hit with the subprime mortgage crisis

I know this because I live in southwestern Ontario in a city that was heavily automotive based and close to Detroit. Southwestern Ontario was known for its steel and automotive industries and our region went through tough times as well, though not as difficult as these particular cities.

Then starting sometime in 2007, there was the subprime mortgage crisis. The States was hit hard.

As well as, they have lead, mercury and other heavy metal pollution in these areas. They were the centre of the steel/automotive manufacturing industries after all.

That is why these buildings have been left to rot.

Police: Lincoln County man killed mom with stake because he believed she was a vampire
Through the throat? Everyone knows you stake a vampire through the heart. And it doesn't kill them, only forces them to remain in their graves.

"A Ugandan hunter is tranquilizing gorillas and dressing them in clown suits"
Well, you must admit they look cute.

Does the Daily Star count as 'the press'? It's like saying the Beano is a paper of record.
It isn't?.
Beat me to it, Swifty.

Montana Man, 80, Pleads Guilty To Creating Giant Mutant Hybrid Bighorns​

In an act that's been described as 'hornography', a man has created mutant wildlife to provide creatures for hunters to kill in hunting preserves.

A couple of quotes:

- Schubarth and at least five others used genetic material from parts from the world’s largest wild sheep species, Central Asia’s Marco Polo Argali sheep. They used cloning and artificial insemination to create hybrids.

- Wyoming biologists said they don’t want weird mutant hybrid species here.

To add to the bizarre nature of the charges, he hasn't been prosecuted for emulating Frankenstein, he's been charged with illegal interstate trade in wildlife.

https://cowboystatedaily.com/2024/0...-by-feds-for-creating-mutant-hybrid-bighorns/

Komodo Dragon attacks zoo employee

https://fox8.com/news/komodo-dragon-attack-injures-akron-zoo-employee/

According to a press release, an incident happened on March 3 in the “Komodo Kingdom employee service area.”
You have to wonder how the other dragon was injured. The article states that male Komodo dragons are solitary and that when the zoo got a second one, it said that they would never be together.

The employee was lucky. I imagine those bites were very painful.

Last edited:
A food delivery driver who bit off a customer's thumb has pleaded guilty to causing grievous bodily harm.

Jenniffer Rocha, 35, attacked the customer in December 2022 near his home in Aldershot in Hampshire.

Deliveroo rider bites off Aldershot customer's thumb https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68558464
He had to use part of his great toe to graft to his thumb? What did she do, swallow it?:puke2:

I try to not use anyone working in any gig job. There is no accountability held by the companies who develop the apps. They claim that it is only an app and that people are self employed, but they make money from the people. No one is insured or vetted in any way.

You have to wonder how the other dragon was injured. The article states that male Komodo dragon are solitary and that when the zoo got a second one, it said that they would never be together.

The employee was lucky. I imagine those bites were very painful.
Not just painful but the mouth of a Komodo Dragon is full of some quite nasty bacteria and a non fatal bite can still lead to death in the wild from infection. Hopefully any potential infection can be dealt with by antibiotics in this instance.

Komodo Dragon attacks zoo employee

https://fox8.com/news/komodo-dragon-attack-injures-akron-zoo-employee/

According to a press release, an incident happened on March 3 in the “Komodo Kingdom employee service area.”

This content is not available in your country/region.​

May be accessed here: https://www.cleveland.com/metro/2024/03/komodo-dragon-attacks-akron-zoo-employee.html

To pay for their legal defense fund. I can just see it already - SAVE THE DRAGONS t-shirts, "it's the workers fault for interefering", and the zoo execs. panicking with visions of lawsuits dancing through their heads

Last edited:

Attachments

• IMG_1290.png
    IMG_1290.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1291.png
    IMG_1291.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1292.png
    IMG_1292.png
    288.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1293.png
    IMG_1293.png
    310.1 KB · Views: 13

Government to investigate state's 'zombie' mines: 'This is completely out of control'​

/zombie miners? mining zombies?

https://www.thecooldown.com/green-business/zombie-coal-mines-kentucky-appalachia
-----------------------------------------
A federal investigation into supposedly "active" but abandoned coal mines is set to begin in March after a citizens law group in Kentucky found that as many as 40% of the state's mines were left in this non-producing and dangerous state, Inside Climate News reports.

The Appalachian Citizens' Law Center, a nonprofit based in Whitesburg, Kentucky, released the new report on the status of Kentucky's "zombie" mines. Out of 126 mines that are active on paper, 48 have stopped producing coal. Of those, 27 haven't produced anything for over five years, and some were left abandoned for more than a decade.

When a mining company is done with a site, it's supposed to do some basic work to begin restoring the land, Inside Climate News explains. Modern mining techniques involve cutting trees and removing soil from the tops of mountains, then dumping the debris into valleys, where it can pollute streams and headwaters. Meanwhile, the site includes steep, dangerous cliffs due to how the mine debris is displaced.

At the end of a mine's life, the company is supposed to build the mountain back up, plant trees and other plants, and clean up the water. Companies are supposed to secure funding at the beginning of the mining project so they can do this restoration work even if they go bankrupt.

According to Inside Climate News, many mining companies appear to be dragging their feet.

Back