Forum Functions & Functionality: Technical Problems & Known Issues

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score
I have just discovered I have apparently had the blameless @Tribble on ignore for.. well who knows how long. :eek: I think that has happened to me before as well. It doesn't look that easy to do by accident although I am normally browsing on a Kindle Fire and can make the odd misclick. Any ideas? Anyone else ever noticed the same thing?

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
I have just discovered I have apparently had the blameless @Tribble on ignore for.. well who knows how long. :eek: I think that has happened to me before as well. It doesn't look that easy to do by accident although I am normally browsing on a Kindle Fire and can make the odd misclick. Any ideas? Anyone else ever noticed the same thing?
No, I've not inadvertently ignored anyone before.

It takes at least two clicks to ignore someone. The most readily accessible Ignore button is the one that appears in the pop-up palette when you click on the member's name in the left margin of one of his / her posts. The Ignore button appears between the Follow and 'Start Conversation' (send a PM) buttons. My first guess is that you clicked on Tribble's name and inadvertently clicked on the Ignore button.

Peripart

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Who said that?

Krepostnoi

Confronting the challenge of porcine fragility
Reaction score
Yes, I've inadvertently ignored people in the past. I blame my current phone: the screen can lag, and register phantom inputs. Oh, how my OH and I laughed when she texted me about something that was troubling her and I seemed to reply with a yawning sloth gif that I didn't even know my phone possessed...

Anyway, you won't have noticed this, but @Tribble has been way too conspicuous by their absence. Anyone in touch, and know if they are doing ok?

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I've inadvertently ignored people in the past. I blame my current phone: the screen can lag, and register phantom inputs. Oh, how my OH and I laughed when she texted me about something that was troubling her and I seemed to reply with a yawning sloth gif that I didn't even know my phone possessed...

Anyway, you won't have noticed this, but @Tribble has been way too conspicuous by their absence. Anyone in touch, and know if they are doing ok?
Yes, he’s not been on the board since June. He’s fine.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
Is there some way of getting a list of any members we have 'ignored'?

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
Is there some way of getting a list of any members we have 'ignored'?
Click on your user name In the top right hand corner. It brings up details about your account. Towards the bottom at the right hand side is an option “ignoring” click on that and it will show a list of who you are ignoring.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

I regularly report my own posts. Fat fingers are my only excuse.

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score
No, I've not inadvertently ignored anyone before.

It takes at least two clicks to ignore someone. The most readily accessible Ignore button is the one that appears in the pop-up palette when you click on the member's name in the left margin of one of his / her posts. The Ignore button appears between the Follow and 'Start Conversation' (send a PM) buttons. My first guess is that you clicked on Tribble's name and inadvertently clicked on the Ignore button.
Yes, I think that must have been what happened. I must watch out for that. :sherlock:

Oh, how my OH and I laughed when she texted me about something that was troubling her and I seemed to reply with a yawning sloth gif that I didn't even know my phone possessed...
Yikes! :sstorm: I bet that sort of thing is pretty common.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
I get these emails saying there's a new comment on the Forum and I think someone has something to say about
COVID-19 / Coronavirus: Disinformation, Fake News & Scams
Have you perhaps triggered the controls to 'Watch' / 'Follow' this thread? That would explain the notifications.

feinman

Asymmetric Contact From Hyperdimensional Aliens.
Reaction score
The ignore button is interesting; it would kind of put you into a parallel forum universe where you see evidence of the other universes, but have blinkered yourself by closing the portal to those other places. It would be a place where others can see you but you can no longer see them! It's far more interesting to watch folks who have used it wander (and wonder) about! :evil:
1612067487968.jpeg

Last edited:

Austin Popper

Emperor of Antarctica
Reaction score
Colorado, where the gold is still elusive
At least there is a notification in the thread that someone on your ignore list has posted on the topic. Some forums are not set up that way, which can lead to a lot of confusion. A simple reply can seem nasty, and appear to be directed at someone it was not, when there is no context. Those forums are usually lame in other ways too. Some are unusable (to me at least) without an ignore capability, since they have a significant number of lunatics.

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
Just testing things, my first thought is are you entering the emojis from the emoji selection at the top of the box you type your reply into? They should work. If you’re adding them from a typewriter screen then they probably won’t work. I’m typing this on an iPad and it has an emoji button on the qwerty screen but when I try to enter something from there, no chance.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Just testing things, my first thought is are you entering the emojis from the emoji selection at the top of the box you type your reply into? They should work. If you’re adding them from a typewriter screen then they probably won’t work. I’m typing this on an iPad and it has an emoji button on the qwerty screen but when I try to enter something from there, no chance.
With respect to what's guaranteed to work ...

If you wish to enter a smiley / emoji into a post you need to use the ones provided by the forum itself.

If you wish to insert an image into your post you have to either attach the image to your post or insert a direct link to a remote site from which the image can be invoked.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Some are unusable (to me at least) without an ignore capability, since they have a significant number of lunatics.
Where would one find these places of lunatics?

I ask for a friend.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Anyway how about a 'back to top' button?

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
Anyway how about a 'back to top' button?
I’m currently browsing on an iPad and I the bottom right hand corner of the screen, when I scroll down a tiny bit a back to top arrow appears. Will check if it does this on a pc when I’m on next.

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
I’m currently browsing on an iPad and I the bottom right hand corner of the screen, when I scroll down a tiny bit a back to top arrow appears. Will check if it does this on a pc when I’m on next.
3F7E5FDC-DA43-43CF-B99A-BE0C058197B3.jpeg

Austin Popper

Emperor of Antarctica
Reaction score
Colorado, where the gold is still elusive
Where would one find these places of lunatics?

I ask for a friend.
Oh, lots of places. There's Above Top Secret, or ATS. You'll find lots and lots of nuts there. Droolers too, and every type of conspiracy bleever imaginable. Last time I looked, there were some sane people still there, but they were badly outnumbered. If you have something bugging you and you dropped a large stone on your foot, say, to distract you but that didn't work, you could go to Godlike Productions, or GLP. I have not been there in years, but I didn't see anyone with a lick of sense when I did have the luxury of wasting time like that. Those are the two that spring to mind immediately. There are some others that have defunctuated and dissipated into the atomsphere, not much missed. They had some interesting stuff there, presumably lost forever. Other places, on technical topics and hobby stuff, benefit from an ignore feature. I use it to not have to look at one character's nonsensical run-on sentences, for example. Some people post Walls of Text, at times even in full on CAPS LOCK. Yikes! Makes my brain hurt.

Last edited:

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
Response to messages 858-860
Checked on my desktop and indeed the same arrow appears when you scroll up a little way so as far as I can tell there is a Back to Top Button.

ComradeMalk

Fresh Blood
Reaction score
Have you perhaps triggered the controls to 'Watch' / 'Follow' this thread? That would explain the notifications.
I joined intentionally, as I thought I had something to contribute. I was looking out for the emails and interested in what people had to say, but not at all interested in the personal 'banter' between people I don't know.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
I joined intentionally, as I thought I had something to contribute. I was looking out for the emails and interested in what people had to say, but not at all interested in the personal 'banter' between people I don't know.
If you're receiving a lot of email notifications you'd rather not receive ...

- Click on your username at the top of any forum page. This will cause a drop-down menu to appear.

- Select 'Preferences'.

- You can adjust your watching and notification settings using the controls there.

If you elect to watch (monitor) any threads to which you post and / or with which you interact alerts will be generated. If you elect to receive email notifications for such alerts they will be issued to you.

You can shut off the issuance of emails for these notifications using the controls cited above. Any alerts will then be compiled and review-able only when you're visiting the forum. You can also choose which actions or changes will generate alerts in the first place.

ComradeMalk

Fresh Blood
Reaction score
If you're receiving a lot of email notifications you'd rather not receive ...

- Click on your username at the top of any forum page. This will cause a drop-down menu to appear.

- Select 'Preferences'.

- You can adjust your watching and notification settings using the controls there.

If you elect to watch (monitor) any threads to which you post and / or with which you interact alerts will be generated. If you elect to receive email notifications for such alerts they will be issued to you.

You can shut off the issuance of emails for these notifications using the controls cited above. Any alerts will then be compiled and review-able only when you're visiting the forum. You can also choose which actions or changes will generate alerts in the first place.
The notifications are fine. Thanks for the tip. It'll hep me choose what I get.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
If you're on a PC you can press the 'home' key to go to the top. Or 'end' to go the other way.